Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:02 PM

How are the staff out there? How is the facility? Do they have alot of programs?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2016, 04:11 AM

I'm gonna throw my experiences with FCI Berlin here. Maybe it'll be informative for some of you. Note I myself am not incarcerated there, my brother was. But ive been for visitation there twice now.

-The facility is really in the middle of nowhere. It's a 3 hour drive from Boston at least, and must be accessed by driving through various small towns.

-Lodging is somewhat difficult to find here. The odds of finding something in Berlin itself are almost zilch. The best bet is to stay in Gorham, Lancaster, or others. These towns are about a 30 minute drive away from Berlin. My experience has been that the hotels are perfectly decent. Price was 80 bucks for my Lancaster stay and about the same for Gorham.

-There's a walmart inbetween Gorham and Berlin for any shopping needs. Theres also a Mcdonalds in Gorham (I believe), but other than a few mom and pop pizza places there is not much to be had here as far as eating.

-The visiting is terrible. Inmates are not allowed to stand up or go to the vending machines. You are assigned seats and can not move. The visiting room is also setup very stupidly. There are 4 rows of chairs, with the 2 rows facing eachother. The inmate sits at one side and the visitors on the other. The stupid part is that these chairs are VERY far apart so you and the inmate literally have to lean forward the entire time in order to hear eachother or converse with any sense of privacy. By the end of the day your back will be sore as well as your neck just from having to do this. I had to leave early one time because we were literally so uncomfortable we couldn't take it anymore.

-There are your typical vending machines and one microwave. Vending machines have your normal drinks and sodas, snacks, and a couple for food items such as pizzas, hamburgers, hot pockets, etc. The pricing is ridiculously high as with every other prison I've experienced. Expect to pay 2 dollars for a soda and 4-5 dollars for a food item.

-There is nothing for kids to do here, just as an FYI. They have several child play rooms adjacent to the visitation room but in typical BOP fashion they are locked up and not used.

-The only positive thing I would say is that the in and out processing is fairly quick. In my experience with Yazoo City, it would sometimes take hours to get processed in and at times you'd have to worry about getting in before the 9 or 10 o clock count. Otherwise youll have to wait another hour or two to get in.

-You are not allowed to take anything in whatsoever including your car keys. They must be locked in a locker, which is assigned to you during entry processing. Of course the clear plastic bag with money is allowed. They did not care how much money as in the bag. Normal limit is 20 bucks, but of course this is not enough when you consider the prices.

-The guards like to walk laps around the visitation room on a regular basis (every 15 minutes or so) to do 'check ups' I guess. However in general the staff are perfectly polite and just do their jobs. I never had any problems with them and never had any problems with them in visitation in general. Also they are not absurdly lazy like they are in Yazoo City. That also has ups and downs.

-This is easily the worst visitation I've experienced and I've been to USP, FDC, the Oklahoma FTC, and several other federal facilities. Yes, its worse than USP. The uncomfortable seating really kills it.

As far as the prison itself goes:

-The weather absolutely sucks. Going outside in winter time is not allowed, nor would anyone want to. There are about 3-4 months of decent weather in the summer months, but then you have to deal with crazy amounts of black flies. I was there in late May and it was freezing cold if that gives you any idea. There is indoor recreation available, just FYI. however this is not the same as being able to go outside and get some fresh air.

-The prison is run VERY strict. The higher ups are serious power trippers and the prison is run like it is a USP. This has its ups and downs of course, but in general it is overly strict for a medium security facility.

-For a medium security facility, my recommendation would be to try to avoid this place. Combine the location, the weather, the awful visitation, and the authoritarian staff and it's just a crappy place to do time. There ARE worse places, but this one has a lot of negatives.

Hope I don't sound like a debbie downer here. Just giving you my experience. It's not THAT bad there mind you. If you have a loved one going there, try not to worry.

Last edited by aceem; 11-07-2016 at 04:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to aceem For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the information. The visit how they be up and sdoen and not taking anyhing in im kind of used to that psrt due to where i work now. I dnt seem to like the part where you say you have to sit so far apart. How can you vist and talk without everyone in your business? So ots no tables? How far is the hotel from it? Lord i kno its a
prison but sometimes i think they go to far? Can yountake pic? I heard about the weather and i heard it has been snowing already off and on
Old 11-07-2016, 06:06 AM

There are small tables in between the chairs to put your food/drinks on. I think this is fairly standard at most places. If you mean tables to sit down at or something then no there is no such thing there. Hotels you'd have to look at them individually, but I'd guess you're looking at a 30-60 minute drive for most of them.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:09 AM

The tsbles come to your knees whn you sit down. Yes that do makes your back and neck hurts. Thank you for the information
Old 01-10-2017, 04:24 PM

Hello.. My family member was just designated to Berlin. Can anyone tell me if they have a weight pile there? Is the food good? The commissary list looks slim and there are only about four different VoTechs. I don't see any Unicore there either. Can anyone tell me more about it?
Also, if you have any tips for visiting, that would be great too! Has anyone flown into the Augusta airport? Or is another better? Hotels? Any information is appreciated.
Thanks

*** Sorry... I just went back and read the thread here... answered a few questions already. But does anyone know about a weightpile and how the food is??

Last edited by QotS; 01-10-2017 at 04:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to QotS For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-10-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 10:41 AM

Hi everyone fci berlin is on lockdown as of 1/16/2107 got a email from my loved one
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dokara42 For This Useful Post:
Blazenruger (02-14-2017), fbopnomore (01-16-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 09:16 AM

Hi Has anyone have a loved one in fci berlin.I was wondering if anyone heard fro there loved one today.I havent heard anything i no they were off lockdown but today i havent heard from him if anyone heard from there loved one could u please respond
Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 AM

I haven't heard from my loved one for over a week now.Is there a lockdown at fci Berlin?
Old 03-03-2017, 07:13 AM

I have been wondering about my love one as well. I haven't received an email from him in a couple weeks Maybe about 2 or 3 weeks. I usually get an email from him everyday. So thought thee is a lockdown. He is at FCI Berlin. I am waiting to hear from him soon.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:51 PM

I did finally have to call berlin and leave a message with a case worker.He would only tell me my loved one was not hurt! A lot of help they are! Did finally get a letter and he is in SHU.The case workers are useless as far as I'm concerned...
Old 03-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Donation Award 

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if FCI Berlin is on lock down? My man called last night at exactly 8:40pm, we didn't speak for 10 secs when I heard loud commotion in the background and he said he needed to hang up... Not sure if they're simply on lock down due to staffing shortage per snow storm or if something actually happened. I have not heard from him all day today which is unusual, he is my wake up call every morning. Any info woul be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsAngel View Post
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if FCI Berlin is on lock down? My man called last night at exactly 8:40pm, we didn't speak for 10 secs when I heard loud commotion in the background and he said he needed to hang up... Not sure if they're simply on lock down due to staffing shortage per snow storm or if something actually happened. I have not heard from him all day today which is unusual, he is my wake up call every morning. Any info woul be appreciated.

Thank you.
Yes my son also called last night and told me they were going on lockdown.Dont no what happened but im sure we will get a letter.Well thats if my son has stamps.If u do hear something would u let me no same here if i hear i will let u no
Old 03-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokara42 View Post
Yes my son also called last night and told me they were going on lockdown.Dont no what happened but im sure we will get a letter.Well thats if my son has stamps.If u do hear something would u let me no same here if i hear i will let u no

Yes,

Wil do, thank you Dokara42.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellh37 View Post
I have been wondering about my love one as well. I haven't received an email from him in a couple weeks Maybe about 2 or 3 weeks. I usually get an email from him everyday. So thought thee is a lockdown. He is at FCI Berlin. I am waiting to hear from him soon.
Never mind turned out he was in the SHU. That's a relief.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellh37 View Post
Never mind turned out he was in the SHU. That's a relief.
after 30 days he gets 15 min call so hopefully u will hear from him
The Following User Says Thank You to dokara42 For This Useful Post:
shellh37 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:15 PM

Default lockdown

[quote=WilsAngel;7608983]Yes,

Wil do, thank you Dokara42.[/QUOT

Your welcome thats what this site is for to help each other.Glad u wrote something i was worried about the lockdown.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:27 PM

Default Wait... So for sure there's no lockdown????

I did hear from my husband all day ... and nothing from his celly either (who will usually email me if my husband gets in trouble)... I was thinking they were on lockdown all day. ARGH!!!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:12 PM

Has anyone heard today from there LO in fci Berlin
Old 03-15-2017, 01:32 PM

Default Nope.. not a peep

Quote:
Has anyone heard today from there LO in fci Berlin
I have heard nothing still from my husband or any of his friends (all of whom I've emailed.)
Old 03-15-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QotS View Post
I have heard nothing still from my husband or any of his friends (all of whom I've emailed.)
I called up there but they wouldnt tell me anything which i dont no why.just said my son was ok. I havent received any calls or emails either
Old 03-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Donation Award 

Nothing yet for me either.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:57 AM

Hi Everyone,Still havent heard from my son today anyone get any email phone call email i no my son had no stamps.I no they got alot of snow as i only live 3 hrs from there but usual by now they would be out.when u call the phone line it says camp is on restriction so i dont no whats up.Has anyone else called there
Old 03-16-2017, 07:32 AM

Hi Ladies, just got a phone call from my son he doesnt no if they are off LD or just out for a little so the phones and emails are busy so be patient hope everyone hears from there LO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dokara42 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-16-2017), QotS (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Hi Ladies, just got a phone call from my son he doesnt no if they are off LD or just out for a little so the phones and emails are busy so be patient hope everyone hears from there LO
I finally got an email... they are saying it was a 12man brawl or something. I think they are up off lockdown.
The Following User Says Thank You to QotS For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-16-2017)