Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Met While Incarcerated
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Met While Incarcerated Were you introduced by a friend or family member after he/she was incarcerated? Did you meet as Pen Pals? This Forum is for you!

View Poll Results: Did you write for love or friendship?
I 100% wrote for friendship - this took me completely by surprise 86 74.14%
I primarily wrote for friendship but was open to the possibility of something happening 24 20.69%
I wrote seeking a relationship with a prisoner 6 5.17%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2016, 03:15 PM

Default Did you write your MWI for love or friendship?

This is more for curiosity's sake than anything else - did you write with purely platonic intentions or did you write looking for love? Of course being involved with someone locked up is a lot more complicated than a conventional relationship, but did you go into it thinking there was a possibility for more than friendship?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 11,257 Times in 4,677 Posts

I wrote purely to enjoy a penpal friendship. Love didnt even cross my mind I couldnt believe people fell in love through letters and phone calls. How wrong was I ?

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Miou (06-07-2016), Nomes (06-11-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,573 Posts

I had no intention whatsoever of getting involved with him. Boy was I surprised.

The Following User Says Thank You to IzzyLouWho For This Useful Post:
Nomes (06-11-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 05:12 PM

I was up front in the first letter that I was not looking for romance, but rather to provide friendship to someone that may need it. As it turns out, he has been the one to give me more than I realized I needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missy_Lector For This Useful Post:
sweetfla (07-09-2016), THEDRSBRIDE1175 (11-26-2017)
Old 04-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Wandering

I love writing. I was looking for somebody I thought I could "help." Caveman calls me a do gooder, and he hates those type of people. Ha! I had other pen pals, but felt that I could make time for another. I wrote him in particular because I was angry with him. I saw his ad, and I just couldn't understand how somebody who seemed to have had all of the same opportunities as me, was well traveled, educated(same college) attractive, had so much going for him(his picture had the small fist of a baby in it), could do something so stupid.

He was in it for a friend, somebody he could grow to trust. I was being nosy, and once we started talking, neither of us could shut up. Now we are getting married. I didn't set out to find romance, but I am happy that I was open to giving it a shot once we felt it developing.
He's the best! Lol, of course there is no bias there!
sweetfla (07-09-2016), THEDRSBRIDE1175 (11-26-2017)
Old 04-09-2016, 01:15 PM
98% mean :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,059 Times in 1,423 Posts

I went into it as a friend I was really attracted to him though. Thought we probably had the same sense of humor etc. Was very scared confused when I started having feelings that were different from the friendly mad flirting we were doing.
To be with you will save the day
'Cos I know
When I'm with you again
You just steal my heart away

Old 04-09-2016, 09:12 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 892 Posts

Friendship! But, I wrote because of the sincerity I felt in what he wrote in his ad. I believe that when we reach out to someone, we look for certain characteristics that we may share, otherwise we would not reach out right? Ours turned into a deeper relationship because we took each day as they came and shared our feelings, thoughts and everything else, which lead to where we are today!
Libby1234 (04-11-2016), THEDRSBRIDE1175 (11-26-2017)
Old 04-09-2016, 10:13 PM

I wrote him because he needed a friend. He was on death row and has little support from family. They visit less than I do, yet they are much closer. It's a 16 hour drive for me, for them it is 3 hours. After years of writing, and many visits... It just happened.

I was his emergency contact, I dealt with his lawyers, I did everything that he needed, as the family are there, but they just don't know how to handle most of this.

Of course all of our visits while on death row were no contact.

After a court ruling, his sentenced was reduced and he was sent to a prison closer to home. I went to visit and he had applied for a contact visit for us. The warden approved it. That is where it all happened and we both knew.

The warden actually approved each visit as a contact visit until we were married. All he had to do was send the request and it was approved.

I only wrote to offer friendship and now we are married.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to abitofsunshine For This Useful Post:
candy (08-17-2017), CemeteryGates (05-05-2016), maytayah (04-12-2016), sweetfla (07-09-2016), THEDRSBRIDE1175 (11-26-2017)
Old 04-11-2016, 10:24 AM

I wrote because after reading about how they enjoy getting mail i figured i would find some pretty interesting penpals. Little did i know that i would fall head over heels with one of them....he's so amazing. I still write to 2 others but the conversations are totally on a friendship level and they are really cool guys too.
The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful2724 For This Useful Post:
THEDRSBRIDE1175 (11-26-2017)
Old 04-12-2016, 01:10 AM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 PTOQ Editorial Team Member Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Winner 

Thanked 1,875 Times in 1,190 Posts

Definately just wrote for friendship and didn't want anything more but feelings developed and it happened. We arent together anymore and i definately couldnt do MWI again - its too much of a lonely life for me

USA Green Card DV 2017 Lotto Winner for OC CN7**
The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, forgetting that you are special too
Previous International - Long Distance - MWI Relationship
Old 04-13-2016, 06:45 AM

I wrote because i had a crush on his profile,he is very handsome.So i told him that iwas not writing to feel good about myself but because he was the most hot sexy guy on the site.He replyed that it was the most honest letter he got
Old 04-14-2016, 04:39 PM

To be honest, I didn't even know that penpal sites existed. My guy wrote a letter to the radio station that I volunteer at once a month, which is across the street from the correctional center, to tell me how much he enjoyed my show and that it brightened his day. So, after researching him I wrote back. I only intended to thank him for listening and to be friends. But the moment we had our first visit a few months later, there was no going back. I guess he found me...right when I needed him to.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to .::leona::. For This Useful Post:
Cutepixie (08-04-2016), Heismyman (04-14-2016), sweetfla (07-09-2016), THEDRSBRIDE1175 (11-26-2017)
Old 04-15-2016, 01:10 PM

I don't understand how anyone could even consider love with a stranger they decided to write to. Would that be someone who wanted to be in love and thought that they could find love via a letter? I can understand falling in love with someone you have been corresponding with but to start out with the thought of falling in love is something that I just don't get.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Wandering

With the amount of dating sites that are proving to be quite profitable, the idea doesn't seem that far fetched to me. While I wouldn't set out to start a relationship with somebody in prison, I also wouldn't set out to start a relationship with somebody in another country. They have websites geared towards that very thing, though.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:39 PM

I initially wrote to my MWI from an ad on Craigslist. Her friend had posted it and I saw her smile and just had to flirt. She's much younger than me and much prettier. I knew there was NO WAY she'd reply, even though I enclosed a SASE. Go figure. She replied. That was 10 months ago. Her early letters espoused the same thoughts, same ideals and values that I have. Her letters also showed an intelligence I admired. I knew she wasn't just parroting my writing to her because she's the one who brought up those thoughts and ideals, etc. But that letter she wrote was so much like the way I think...that if I didn't know better, I'd almost think I wrote it. So, we started writing based on a mutual value system, beliefs, etc. I almost didn't write in response to her CL ad because I saw the prison address. I just "couldn't" write to a criminal...could I? But her smile really got to me and I thought at least I might get a nice pen pal. I won't say we haven't had a few bumps or bruises...but things have calmed down and we're heading forward and both seem to be "mostly" on the same sheet of music now. She's changed my views of prisoners in general and of her in particular. I'm very glad I decided to write that first letter. Thank you Lori for posting that ad for her. I am forever indebted to you.

Al
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltheBiker For This Useful Post:
sweetfla (04-18-2016), THEDRSBRIDE1175 (11-26-2017)
Old 04-15-2016, 10:17 PM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

Almost 6 years ago I had a near-death experience and spent 7 weeks in the hospital. Because of the illness/damage I had to learn to write, type and walk again... plus went blind in my left eye.

I decided a pen pal was the best way to practice my hand-writing, and completely explained in my first couple letters. If wanted to return to work, it was mandatory at least I read and write. In the 6 months we corresponded via letter and typewritten letters, I was very capable to return to work.

When he finally sent me a photo (but I saw him in person before then), I could't believe how attractive he was! And it doesn't hurt that we are have similar heritage. enjoy the same music and have the same obscure rock band too! And more!

Made for each other I believe!
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
Old 04-16-2016, 01:40 AM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

PS: I selected my guy from the pen pals on PTO (with no picture.) But something just definitely drew me to him!
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy's Girl For This Useful Post:
sweetfla (04-18-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 04:32 AM
Crazys Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by bminomi View Post
This is more for curiosity's sake than anything else - did you write with purely platonic intentions or did you write looking for love? Of course being involved with someone locked up is a lot more complicated than a conventional relationship, but did you go into it thinking there was a possibility for more than friendship?
I wrote purely for friendship I'd had an accident and was lay up in bed for months, I wasn't expecting to find my soulmate that was over 6 years ago we began writing (been married just over 4 years)...
I honestly just wanted a friend and to be nosey and find out about prison lol now I know more than I need to about prison lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazys Wife For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2016, 05:07 PM

I was going through a lot of things at the time, and didn't exactly have any friends I could really turn to, and talk to, none that wouldn't judge me anyway. So I wrote to him, just needing someone to talk to. I wasn't exactly looking for a relationship, I had it in my head that I didn't want anyone. And now, he's coming home in August
The Following User Says Thank You to CemeteryGates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2016, 06:56 PM

I wrote at first for friendship, was curious, and really wasn't sure if it was real. But in all honesty, I did look at a picture of him first with the profile. So maybe in the back of my mind I was thinking more. But I'm really glad I did!
Old 06-06-2016, 06:29 PM

I wrote for friendship for sure. Being a single mom is hard because I feel like everyone who was there for me just disappeared. I actually wrote to my MWI and another guy in a different prison at the same time. MWI wants me to drop other pen pal and I feel so bad but I feel like the love is worth it .
Old 06-07-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
I wrote purely to enjoy a penpal friendship. Love didnt even cross my mind I couldnt believe people fell in love through letters and phone calls. How wrong was I ?
Oh dear, I feel you, same here....
And don't know what to think because everything is so difficult and new to me...
Old 06-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Aussie Card Fairy!!
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,048 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bminomi View Post
I sent 2 birthday cards out....the 2nd one was because I didn't remember sending the first....there's so many things about him that would normally render him 'uninteresting' to me, but whatever it was (Fate, Destiny or higher power!) that pushed me to him, I'll be eternally grateful! He's a diamond in the rough for sure, but the best part is, HE IS MY DIAMOND!

Great Poll idea.

Hugs
Naomi
- " - " - I give a "hoot" about inmates
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 02:07 AM

Thanked 1,117 Times in 527 Posts

Purely friendship. I already had several other pen pals that were only friends so I saw no problem with adding another one. He wasn't just another pen pal or friend he became my best friend and we were able to connect on a completely different level and we fell in love.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 PM

Wrote as a novelty and to be honest, kind of a joke. Of course, like everyone else, a relationship would be great, but was definitely NOT looking for one! Did not write to any other women. Did absolutely everything within my power to just write it off as a joke but found myself liking her more and more. Expected a completely unstable, borderline, manipulative, "going to pretend I like you then ask for money" sort of line of BS and was just bracing that, you know, "OK, so when does she just try to get me to wire a couple of thousand bucks to some Western Union account in Mexico?"

Found that she is not exactly without issues but 90% of them were just due to methamphetamine. (I'm pretty used to addicts, so can tell pretty easily when someone is high.)

Overall, my feeling is that you need to be doubly cautious with these things, but sometimes great things can happen in unexpected places. Even if it doesn't work out, I must say the experience has been fascinating and has definitely been worth it, although I can't honestly say that I'd recommend meeting this way to anyone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRA4350 For This Useful Post:
BearsLadyBear (12-03-2017)