Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:27 AM

Default Looking for info on Butner Prison Camp

I am hoping to be assigned to Butner. A few questions: Is the camp bunk bed's separated by cubes? How do you qualify for bottom bunk? What jobs would be availabel? Are there any courses to be taken? How is the library? Is the food buffet style serving? How many books can you have? How is the commisary? How is it the first few days, are people helpful or do they stay away from you. Thx for any info on Butner Prison Camp!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2008, 06:13 AM

I see you haven't had any replies. I can't help, but would like to hear also. My son is considering requesting a transfer to Butner for RDAP.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 PM

Default Butner Camp

The camp is really easy. Everyone is helpful when you first get there. I spent 28 months there and never had any problems. I actually made some very good friends. Most of the jobs are OK. They range from kitchen, laundry, maintenance and some lucky ones like myself qualify for town drivers. You have a car and drive around all day carrying released inmates to bus stations and such. The food is decent. The workout facilities are old but the camp is one of the few places left with weights. The library is very small and has limited resources. I took a lot of correspondence courses. I would compare the camp to a very decent nursing home because its where a lot of sick and older inmates are sent. Overall it was not a bad experience at all. Just relax and do the very easy time.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe1900 For This Useful Post:
janine717 (01-16-2009)
Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 PM

beverlysm,
he can only get the RDAP program at Butner if he is at low to Medium Security. The camp does not offer it and unless his security level is higher they will not allow him to attend. instead the ones at the camp that qualified were shipped to other camps that offered the program.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 PM

The bunks are separated by cubes. There are 2 beds in each cube. To qualify for a bottom bunk you must have some type of documented health problem that prevents you from sleeping on a top bunk. A word of caution, the bottom bunks have a long waiting list and normally the inmates from the medical center get them first. Having to have a bottom bunk could potentially keep you from getting to the camp and you may have to spend time at the FMC waiting for a bunk to open.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:12 PM

Default Thanks for the info on Butner

Thanks so much for all of this helpful information. Do they allow you to have anything other than books and magazines (i.e. hobby materials, etc.. Is the Camp store decent? Any more expensive than a walmart for basic things?? Thx again.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:11 AM

Default Tell me about Butner in NC

So thankfully for my family my husband was sent to Butner. Anyone familiar with it there? What is it like? What is the visitation like and is it set up for kids pretty well?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Imma B Here....

My brother is in Butner Low. I was just there 3 weeks ago (i live in Cali). It is really laid back and the CO's are very cordial. The kids are running around and the food is not so bad. There are actually 5 prisons on the Butner FCI grounds. There is max, med., low, camp and medical. Which one is your husband at?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 AM

He is in the medium one

Old 12-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Imma B Here....

Okay, that's right next door to my brother. I don't know much about it except that the wire on the fence around it is a little wider...
Old 12-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Default Hotels near butner fci??

Seems like I saw a post on here somewhere talking abotu a hotel with good prices near the facility. Can you give me the address and name of the hotel you were referring to?

Also for anyone that has been there what are the best directions and how hard is it to determine which building in the complex is the butner fci medium 2?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Imma B Here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmTalhah View Post
Seems like I saw a post on here somewhere talking abotu a hotel with good prices near the facility. Can you give me the address and name of the hotel you were referring to?

Also for anyone that has been there what are the best directions and how hard is it to determine which building in the complex is the butner fci medium 2?
There is a Holiday Inn Express (I paid $76 per night)2578 WEST LYON STATION ROAD
CREEDMOOR, NC 27552 UNITED STATES

Hotel Front Desk: 1-919-5755942 | Hotel Fax: 1-919-5750502, A Comfort Inn and a Ramada Inn are also near, but I'm not sure of their rates. They are all only about 4.5 miles to the complex. When you drive into the complex, there are arrows that direct you to your specific facility. My brother is in the Low which is to the right. If I am not mistaken ALL of the other facilities are to the left. Look for the signs that are pretty visible.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:05 PM

My dad is in Butner low as well.. it is kid friendly..seems to be laid back compared to other stories I've heard..
Old 12-29-2008, 09:09 PM

I have stayed at all of the hotels off exit 191. They are all relativly nice and resonably priced. If you will be going frequently, I suggest joining a rewards program for one of them and staying at that hotel whenever you go. This way, after a few visits, you may be able to get a free night.

As for directions to the facility, when you come off I 85 north...turn left and follow that road to a y intersection. There will be signs directing you to the facilities. Just follow the signs to the facility that you are going to.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 PM

My brother is in Medium 2. It is laid back once you get inside the visiting room. The kids are able to play on a playroom. I suggest that you bring your own change. I was just there this weekend, and the change machine was broken all three days.

How far away are you from Butner?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM

are you flying in? if so i think there is a cab/bus service to go directly to and from Raleigh airport.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM

Thanks. I actually already went. I ended up staying at the Howard Johnson on hillandale rd in Durham. I wouldn't recommend that one to stay in by the way. The rooms were nice but none of the ice machines worked and the phones were not working at all ( couldn't even call the desk).

I live in Wilmington NC so driving was fine.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:49 PM

We went a week ago. It was a nice visit. Much more laid back than I had expected.

I live in NC about 2 hours from Raleigh, by the beach.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:32 PM

my husband is going to Butner .. we live in florida... are you allowed to be outside? is their a weight room... rec room?? anything exciting...?/
Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 AM

Default Question about Butner

My son-in-law, who has pled guilty to a sex crime, is scheduled to be sent to Butner. Does anyone know about their visiting policies? Will has two-year-old son be able to visit him there? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Default Butner Min. Security Camp

For some reason, Butner is hard to get info on through this site. I would love to hear something about the prison camp at Butner, if they allow you to bring anything in with you like sneakers or a watch tohat meet their requirements? How is the food? Any word on when email will be there, what kind of jobs are available, what type of educational programs? How about athletic facilities? Thx
Old 02-16-2009, 02:49 AM
6 Time Loser

Cool Fci butner low

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmTalhah View Post
So thankfully for my family my husband was sent to Butner. Anyone familiar with it there? What is it like? What is the visitation like and is it set up for kids pretty well?
I was in the LOW security for 4 years in Butner, NC. It is full of sex offenders and snitches. But as far as problems, none. Only 1 person was stabbed in the 4 years I was there. They have excellent college courses, classes and trade school. Not alot of drugs, violence or sex (THANK GOD) The visiting is pretty good. Not alot for the kids, but usually seeing "Daddy" keeps them entertained. The UNICOR there makes military clothes and pays quite well. After my first year I was making $300 to $400 a month.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:54 AM
6 Time Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by janine717 View Post
my husband is going to Butner .. we live in florida... are you allowed to be outside? is their a weight room... rec room?? anything exciting...?/
Rec room, no weight, big yard, basketball, football, soccer, handball, racketball horseshoes, shuffle board, softball,

Not alot of fighting, violence or sex
Great college classes and courses, trade school and UNICOR
Old 02-16-2009, 02:56 AM
6 Time Loser

I was in the LOW security for 4 years in Butner, NC. It is full of sex offenders and snitches. But as far as problems, none. Only 1 person was stabbed in the 4 years I was there. They have excellent college courses, classes and trade school. Not alot of drugs, violence or sex (THANK GOD) The visiting is pretty good. Not alot for the kids, but usually seeing "Daddy" keeps them entertained. The UNICOR there makes military clothes and pays quite well. After my first year I was making $300 to $400 a month.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:14 PM

Hey Tattoo Dave Second time going down this time to Burtner Low How long does it take to get into unicor. Any other diffrences to look out for Hope all is going well with you. I am self surrendering in three days