Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:29 PM

I don't know anything about that specific area but just in general I have found it's worth it to sign up for those frequent visit hotel cards. I have one for Best Western & for Holiday Inn & have already earned enough points for a free night at the Best Western. Also if you have AAA you get bonus points & discounted rates. Just FYI.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ifoundhim For This Useful Post:
JamesWhitesBaby (09-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Donation Award 

You don't need the AAA to get the special rate...you just have to ask the place you choose to honor that rate and most often they will to keep you there! Thats the one thing Holiday Inn offered to me or else I would have went down the road!
Old 07-22-2007, 07:04 PM

I finally got to visit my son Drew he is at the Med I on July 19th 2007. He said he is doing fine, staying away from trouble makes and avoiding confrontational men. Drew is 23 and in for the next 8 1/2 years. My son's girlfriend and their little boy along with me and my youngest son went in without a hitch. They did do a drug scan on my youngest son but not on Heather, me or my grandson. We visited for 3 hrs, and the correctional officers were polite. No one was rude or hateful to us. My son is hoping to go into the GED program this up coming week.

Butner looked very clean and Drew said that though he does not have a cell and it is over crowded he is doing well. For now he has a bed in the hallway.

Drew's Mom
Old 08-02-2007, 05:10 PM

I promised to write again after we came back from visiting him during the week. He is presently in the Medical Center FMC and visiting is 2:30-8:00 pm on Fridays. What I found the most difficult this time was watching a man visiting with his family for probably the last time, he was dying. They would not let the family visit him in a private area or in his room, even though he was in so much pain. To be a prisoner is more than humanity can stand. I wish to God that our family member was home, where I could take care of him. He had spinal surgery the first of July and is still in the FMC, but we are going to visit him again next weekend--8/10-8/13/07, by then he may be back on the hill at the II, FCI 2. He is walking again, without falling, which is a great improvement! God bless everyone here and everyone who shouldn't be punished as extremely as society thinks.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Donation Award 

vonna...did he get sent back up on the hill? We had a friend who passed away in a medical facility. I still have letters around here somewhere that he would get assistance to write as he couldn't. Someone would write the short note he spoke and send them to us for him. He mentioned how they allowed his family members to be at his bedside for visits because of his condition. Wonder if FMC Butner ever allows such a thing.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:46 PM

Does anyone know if FCI low security have email access?? Do they have internet access?
I was denied visiting because I can't prove I knew him before incarceration - anyone have any suggestions?
He wants to transfer to Illinois where I am - what would be the best place??
Old 10-18-2007, 06:52 PM

My husband in Butner Low. He went in about week ago. I wonder if any one have a cell phone in local area code to talk to your loved one in Butner. I've been thinking doing it. Out of curiosity, If you all have one like that let me know. I greatly appreciate.
Ati E I'm sorry I don't know anything about that. My husband is pretty new in the facility.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Butner NC

Does anyone have info on Butner in North Carolina??
Old 10-25-2007, 02:57 AM
Donation Award 

Are you looking for information on a specific level (FMC, FPC, FCI, FCI-II)?
Old 10-25-2007, 03:04 AM
Donation Award 

From my understanding...none of the facilities in Butner have email access as of yet. But there has been a notice put out that it will be coming. How long that takes...is anyone's guess! They will not get general internet use.

Not sure what the best place is close to Chicago...but it may be one across a state line. Have you looked at the BOP map?
http://www.bop.gov/locations/maps/NCR.jsp
Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Info FOR FMC

I would personally like some info on the FMC side of Butner. Trying to find some info on how they house inmates in wheelchairs.
Thanks
Mike
Old 10-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Donation Award 

I know there is someone around here who has a little information on FMC, hopefully they'll be around and share what knowledge they can.

I have seen a few guys in the FCI in wheelchairs as well as other non-medical facilities.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:20 AM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Winner 

Default FCI Butner Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermster1
I would personally like some info on the FMC side of Butner. Trying to find some info on how they house inmates in wheelchairs.
Thanks
Mike
I don't have info on the FMC, but my husband has been in Butner Low since June 07. There are lots of guys there in wheelchairs. Hubby was supposedly sent there instead of closer to home because of his congestive heart failure. My understanding is the consideration for placement in the FMC depends on the medical care level assigned by the BOP. There are apparently 4 levels of care, with 1 needing the least amount of medical care and 4 being in need of 24 hour nursing care. Level 4's are the ones who are housed at the FMC. Hubby is a Level 3 because he takes a blood thinner; he'd be a Level 2 with just his other heart meds. With his security level being a 10, he should have gone to the camp, but there is a 10 month waiting list for Level 3's to get in the camp because they have to have a bottom bunk. Level 1's and 2's have about a 2-3 month wait right now. Bottom line, I don't think the fact that you're in a wheelchair in and of itself will qualify you for the FMC.
There was a 'town meeting' at hubby's unit yesterday with the case manager and counselor where they talked about their need for 160 beds in the low for medical inmates right now. The point of this meeting was apparently to warn them that any fighting will get them sent to the SHU (solitary confinement) and they won't be coming back to the low anytime soon. Hubby says there has been an increase in the fighting; he chalks it up to the guys being stressed out over the way the BOP handles things...one day you're allowed something, the next you're not...and not handling it well. He did say the fights are fistfights, he's never seen a weapon or anybody get seriously injured. He says most of the population is older, and described the last fight he saw on his unit (Monday) as being between a guy in a wheelchair and a guy with a cane...both are now in SHU...neither had any physical injuries.
I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is. Now for the disclaimer, LOL! We've only been doing this a few months, and I'm learning as I go, so I could be completely wrong ! Surely someone will come along to correct me if I am...
I'd like to wish you well on your journey through this chapter of your life. Whatever happens, you will get through this, and so will your family. Just a few short months ago, neither hubby nor I were confident of that at all. So, hang in there, it really does get better!
Old 10-31-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Wheelchair Placement in FMC ?

Thank-you for your responce all be it scary. The main problem with being in a wheelchair is that nothing in my body works. Everything below my nipple line is dead. Nothing works. All bodily functions must be handled externally. It's a full time job for me. I can handle it but it's a lot of work. I've been paralized for 12 years. I know it's going to be tuff I just cannot do what I need to do without medical supplies. I've been told so many different things on this site I'm affraid to ask anymore. I understand some folks are in wheelchairs because of bad knees and hips. This is parapalegia that has no cure. I'm hoping they will put me in somekind of medical support area where I can get the tubes and meds I need to live. Not to be melodramatic but I want to come out alive and some folks have scared me to death.

I think I'll sit back and read for a while

Thank-you everyone
Mike
Old 10-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Donation Award 

Mike...have you checked out FedCURE? Not sure we've seen one with your condition here nor have I known anyone personally. FedCURE has a yahoo group where you can post questions and find answers....they may have some knowledge on what the BOP may do in situations like yours. I'm not pointing you away from here...because you'll gain great insight and support from here. Personally...I would want you in a medical facility. Unfortunately, the BOP doesn't play by my rule book or I'd be housing my prisoner!

Don't get yourself to worked up yet...the good thing is you have the time to do some research, find some answers and better prepare for whats ahead! Be sure to check into FedCURE though and make sure your family/friends have their information as well.

If it is any comfort...none of those I seen in wheelchairs were completely confined to them. A few I seen get up and move a little for pictures and whatnot.

Last edited by kintml2u; 10-31-2007 at 05:18 PM..
Old 11-02-2007, 06:19 AM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

As I've mentioned before in some of your other posts, I am positive you will be assigned to an FMC. None of the other facilities are equipped to handle your situation. Dont stress over it. The FMC's, contrary to some of the stories you hear, are equipped to handle your situation and though it wont be up to the outside world standards, it will be adequate for your stay.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:06 AM

Ari,
I understand your concerns. My "dad", he is a good friend who is a father figure, is at Butner. I just got back from visiting him last weekend. There are so many people in wheelchairs there, it isn't funny. Being that you are a paraplegic, I am pretty sure that you will stay at FMC. Make sure that you have everything about your health documented so at the intake they have it all on record. My daughter was in a wheelchair all her life, Spina Bifida, she just died on August 13, coming back from visiting grandpap. They say she had "silent pneumonia", never heard of it, but she died suddenly in my van on I-95. If you have more questions, you can email me anytime, I will try to answer. One thing you need to remember, the guards are really no more than children, most of them lazy, but if you are pleasant with them, you should be fine. God bless.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:01 AM

Default Hope youre right...

I too am paraplegic and was wondering the same thing about medical supplies ie. leg bags, condom caths, ostomy supplies. Im paralized from mid chest down and can take care of myself but 2 of my biggest worries are supplies and bed sores... I wonder what kind of beds theyre gonna have in this place? Im not scared of the time (as long as I dont have to consistantly pee on myself)... and I wonder if I can get a guitar in? I was looking to catch up on all that music theory i slept thru... anyone know?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:10 PM

Im getting ready to be shipped to Butner I do believe Im a paraplegic so Im assuming from what I read here Ill be in the FMC. I was wondering about 2 things... Bringing (or having shipped) one of my guitars? as well as music... will we be able to have cd's...itd b great to be able to take in my ipod HA! fat chance of that happening!! O & one other thing... how much do the phone calls cost? anyone know?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 AM
Donation Award 

Reading a couple of your post, I would hope that they choose the FMC for your placement. I seriously doubt you will be able to take in your guitar. Some locations have some music groups so maybe it will be possible for you to either purchase one or atleast use one. Music...no cd's. You will have to purchase a radio from commissary and one with a cd is out of the question. Phone calls...I believe it's like $8.50 for 15 minutes if you call collect. Your stamp says you are in NC, if it's local, it could be cheaper. Prepaying your calls from your commissary account also makes it cheaper. Less then $4 for the 15 minutes. You don't have to talk the entire 15 minutes... Best of luck to you!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:26 AM

Smile Butner, Nc

I have a loved one in Butner FCI 2, he also was at FMC for a couple months, what do you need? Perhaps, I can assist?
Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintml2u
vonna...did he get sent back up on the hill? We had a friend who passed away in a medical facility. I still have letters around here somewhere that he would get assistance to write as he couldn't. Someone would write the short note he spoke and send them to us for him. He mentioned how they allowed his family members to be at his bedside for visits because of his condition. Wonder if FMC Butner ever allows such a thing.
Kintml2u, I am sorry I haven't been online much. Kylene dying has taken the starch out of me. She would have been 24 on this Friday [14th]. The Warden at FMC, Mr. Beeler, has not allowed anyone that I know of to visit beside. We watched 2 gentlemen die there and their families had to go to the visitors' room to say their good-byes. It was so emotional. I feel terrible for these guys. Where is compassion, where is humanity?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Donation Award 

Default Thank you for this information

Thank you so much for posting such helpful information. My son is self-surrendering on January 3 and we are trying to prepare him and ourselves. Everything here is so helpful.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 PM
loving him more and more

Question Butner,NC info

Hello. My name is Erika and I wanted to know if anyone had any information on FCI Butner preferably the low and medium facilities. Some of my main concerns are the food, medical care, visitation, safety, level of violence, and the housing conditions. Any help that anyone has is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 AM

Hey Ericka,

It's been awhile since me and sweetie visited at the Low in Butner, NC. The visiting room is huge (at the Low), you're processed one at a time, (at the time could wear open-toe shoes--don't know if it is the same now). The visiting room had an outdoor part where at least you could go outside and walk or sit. Guards depending on the amount in the room were very strict, but you could sit next to each other. Food--vending. Work--Unicor, etc. Housing--had different units & SHU ("hole"). Pictures were taken in front of a huge covering on the wall. Don't remember too much else. Medical---the FCI Complex has its own medical center....much more relaxed environment (I know it is an oxymoron--relaxing and prison, but it was). Hope it helps. Oh... the best place to stay is the Holiday Inn (ask for a discount); if you have to stay at the "Ramada." Good luck
Mnsmrs816 (08-20-2012)