Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:30 PM

Default FCI--Butner

Would like to know if anyone has information about this federal prison in Butner N.C. it is a low. He goes before the judge in June and wants to let the judge know where he would like to serve his sentence.
We know it is up to the BOP.
BOP.GOV does not give you very much on the day to day.
Any help will do.

Last edited by lwilliams; 03-26-2007 at 01:42 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 AM
Donation Award 

Butner has several security levels including the medical center. I too am in search of info on this place but for the medium-high level, the new FCI II.

If I come across any info, I'll be sure to point you in that direction. Not having much luck.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:11 AM
Donation Award 

Default FCC Butner-all levels

Just curious if there is anyone around who has loved ones in the Federal Correctional Complex Butner, North Carolina.

If you do...please stop by and say hello! A couple of us are searching for information.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Hanging On By my Teeth

My husband is at the FMC. He is being transfered to the camp in Atlanta, but has been at Butner for 6 months. I would be happy to answer any questions, if I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntGiGi For This Useful Post:
WilsAngel (09-02-2013)
Old 03-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Donation Award 

If you hvae traveled to visit...do you suggest a certain place and how far from the facilities was it?
Old 03-31-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Need Information on Camp at Butner, NC

Im supposed to be going to the camp at Butner, NC in two weeks. Im scared and need some info. What kind of activities are there, Ive heard it is a new facility, ITs not guaranteed but any info about facility would be great.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:08 PM

My son is at FCI Butner Medium II, anyone has any info on it?
Thank you
Old 04-02-2007, 03:58 AM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO prisontalk1818.

I'm trying to find something out but I'm guessing since it's new it's not much info to be found. How long has your son been there?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:28 AM
Donation Award 

I'm curious to know if FCI Butner II has the email available, Trulincs. Does anyone know?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:22 PM

Default leebob

yes i have a brother there i think he will be there for 111 months i was told by the psi that he can be moved a lot more be for it said an done
i know they made it hard to go see him he is now 5 hours away the judge said the closes place that would have been beckley or petersburg oh by the way witch is a better place i hear petersburg is the worst place
he just called me for the first time in 3 weeks
said it was a new place and the food was not bad
he is now able to go out side on what i was told every 1 1/2 hours then they have 10 min to move to were ever
Old 04-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Donation Award 

I don't hear positive things about Petersburg either.

He must be in the new FCI, thats mainly what I am interested in. I was hoping to hear some about visiting, the whole check in and how the visiting room is ran. While it's simular across the board...each location always has their own set up. I just like to know what I'm doing, even the first time I walk through a door.

Do you know if they have the email system set up there for them...I'm hopeful that since it's a new location, they may put them up sooner rather then later.

Thanks for checking in...it's good to know others.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Donation Award 

My husband is located in the FMC at Butner. On my last visit some major changes were made. I've been visiting since Aug05 and my husband had always put his arm around my shoulders. For some reason this is against the rules now. Also, I have worn the same green blouse numerous times and this time was told it blended with khaki so I shouldn't wear it again. During the last two months there has been a drug sniffer there, but this time it was gone. I'll just be glad when this is over and he can come home.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:58 AM
Donation Award 

Visited my husband this past weekend and the drug sniffer is back at Butner. I was the lucky one this time. I passed, but I was still trying to remember if I had handled money. I knew I didn't use hand lotion and that I had washed my hands. Way too much stress, but I'm counting my blessings that I got to visit my man!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Donation Award 

The things I do...when staying at a hotel for visiting is on the extreme anal side!

With the money...I always prepare my bag the night before so I do not have to handle the money. I wipe the outside of the bag down...just incase! I keep babywipes in my car so when I do arrive, I wipe my hands and arms down incase they touched something...and I wipe my shoes back down!

People would think I'm nuts if they seen my normal ritual staying at a hotel to visit my man!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:09 AM
Donation Award 

I call that just doing what has to be done! Which part of Butner do you visit?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Butner NC Med II

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisontalk1818
My son is at FCI Butner Medium II, anyone has any info on it?
Thank you
Hello I'm newbie to PTO. I wanted to say that I have a young son/19 that is in Butner NC. Med II. I have only visited once so far, Iam planning a trip soon. You can view some information on a site I started just recently on my space 182420463.

He could use all the prayers & cards anybody wishes to send for incouragement
Old 05-11-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintml2u
Butner has several security levels including the medical center. I too am in search of info on this place but for the medium-high level, the new FCI II.

If I come across any info, I'll be sure to point you in that direction. Not having much luck.

FCI BUTNER MEDIUM II
FEDERAL CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION
OLD NC HWY 75
document.write(check4Value(""))BUTNER, NC 27509

Phone: 919-575-8000
Fax: 919-575-8020

Hope this helps
Old 05-13-2007, 03:40 PM

I have a family member at low security. It isn't too bad a place. I understand it was designed to be a women's facility originally. One of the industries is the uniform factory. There are jobs in food service, too - probably other jobs that I don't know about.

Some of the recreation includes crocheting, painting/drawing, ceramics (I think), and bead work. They have a walking track and exercise equipment. They transfer people there for medical treatment at the hospital nearby and some recuperate in low before being transferred back. The medical treatment is supposedly a model for the system. I've heard OK reports about treatment from general doctors (PA's) and dentists, but I'm not sure about treatment for any medical conditions that are more serious.

Some residents are trained to assist the recovering patients. It seems like more & more disabled residents are being transferred there, however, it wasn't really designed to be accessable, so that is a challenge for them.

The quarters are modules with 3 or 4 to a sleeping area. They have lockers - I can't remember the dimensions. I can find out some more info about that if you want.

Our family has stayed overnight in Creedmore/Butner area as well as Greensboro when we've visited. I've flown into Raleigh/Durham airport once & other family has flown into Greensboro airport a couple times.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:45 AM

Wink Bunter, NC

Dear Mom,

Our loved one was one of the first 100 sent to Butner FCI Medium II, in September, 2006. He is older with many medical problems. He said a lot of folks coming in now have medical problems. The Butner Facility is broke down into 5 facilities, with 4278 inmates as of May 28, 2007: FMC the medical hospital, housing 991 inmates; Low FCI with 1,288; Medium I with 766; the Camp with 331; and Medium II FCI with 902, one being our guy.

It is practically a brand new facility as opposed to many others. It is pristine and well maintained. NO ROACHES or RATS. They have a woodworking shop that supplies all the shelving, cabinetry, benches, etc. for the complex. They have UNICOR which is going to be the 411 supplier for national information phone service.

They have 300 minutes/month for phones, with 15 minute calls [always go too quickly] and permitting 30 minutes between. In December/January they have 400 minutes for the holidays. You have to be on his list of those he can call and NO cell phones calls are permitted. Our guy uses some of his canteen money and transfers it over to his phone account {we found that was the cheapest way to go}. He is permitted canteen and that is sent by Money Orders to: FBOP, PO Box 474701, Des Moines, IA 50947-0001. I find going to the post office with the cash is the cheapest [.95 for the M.O.] I usually have an envelope reading to mail and just get the money order, fill it out and send it that day.

He said the food is pretty decent, they have a salad bar and hot meals most days, on the weekends it is more lax. He is in a 2-bunk cell, but since he is disabled, they do not have anyone presently with him. They have lockers. You can send him letters and cards and newspaper clippings. You cannot send books, complete newspapers or magazines from home. I have found that Amazon.com will send books to your loved one, just be sure to put his ID#, which will be 5 numbers and then 3 numbers [00000-000] on EVERYTHING you send. I buy the used books from Amazon.com for sometimes .01 and S&H! You can also get him subscriptions from the actual magazine company, it just has to come from them. [Go figure?]

We had to fill out paper work to visit him and that took about 2 weeks as I recall. When you go into the facility you cannot take anything but your picture ID and $20 worth of change, NO CASH. You have to sign in and fill out a form stating you do not have any contraband on you; the year, make, color and model of your vehicle along with the license plate number. Do not take anything else in, they will make you take it back to your vehicle or put it in a locker they have there. They have vending machines with sodas, snacks and sandwiches you can microwave. The sodas are .75 and the sandwiches range from $2.50 - $4.00, I think. The change MUST be in a clear container. I went to the drug store and got a clear, see through, cosmetic bag with a zipper. If they cannot see through it, you cannot have it. The first time they will take your picture. They also do periodic drug testing, wiping a wand across your clothing. They did that our first time with my daughter, in a wheelchair. [I cried]. I was sure this place was picking on us, never having been in this situation before in our lives. If you remember to breathe, it does get better. You then go through a metal detector and have to remove your shoes, just like going through airport security. They will stamp your hand with a ultraviolet dye and you will go through double doors, where you will put your hand under a wand that shows the guard you are ready to see your son. You are permitted to hug and kiss him at the beginning and end of the visit. {Make sure he is facing the guard at ALL times and he stays INSIDE the RED LINE, no one told us the first time and he almost lost his visiting privileges.}

When you visit the times are weekends 8:30-3:00, if you get there before 9:30 a half hour before count, they will usually let you back, but if not, then you wait until after count 10:00. I haven't been there during the weekday, but we are going to see him on Friday and he said we could come after 4:00. I can let you know how that goes, if you like?

If you get online and type in BOP and then Butner, NC you can see their website and get more information. Really hope this helps! Oh by the way, we stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Creedmoor which is only 4-5 miles away. There is also a Ramada and Econo Lodge there. My daughter is in a wheelchair, so HIE is the only one with a handicapped shower. We pay about $75/night and it is right off I-85. Pretty easy to get around. Butner facilities are out in the country, so don't worry if you start driving and think you have gone the wrong way! LOL Take care and good luck to you and your son! I understand your need for info. and a little morsel of peace. ~V
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VONNA For This Useful Post:
April282017 (07-13-2015), bookwatch (08-31-2017), JamesWhitesBaby (09-30-2013), MovingOn2Day (12-13-2012), WilsAngel (09-02-2013)
Old 06-08-2007, 04:21 AM

Thumbs up Butner, NC -- Visiting TODAY 6-8-07

I posted the following for a mom who needed information. When we come back the beginning of the week, I'll post more, let you know how things are going.

Our loved one was one of the first 100 sent to Butner FCI Medium II, in September, 2006. He is older with many medical problems. He said a lot of folks coming in now have medical problems. The Butner Facility is broke down into 5 facilities, with 4278 inmates as of May 28, 2007: FMC the medical hospital, housing 991 inmates; Low FCI with 1,288; Medium I with 766; the Camp with 331; and Medium II FCI with 902, one being our guy.

It is practically a brand new facility as opposed to many others. It is pristine and well maintained. NO ROACHES or RATS. They have a woodworking shop that supplies all the shelving, cabinetry, benches, etc. for the complex. They have UNICOR which is going to be the 411 supplier for national information phone service.

They have 300 minutes/month for phones, with 15 minute calls [always go too quickly] and permitting 30 minutes between. In December/January they have 400 minutes for the holidays. You have to be on his list of those he can call and NO cell phones calls are permitted. Our guy uses some of his canteen money and transfers it over to his phone account {we found that was the cheapest way to go}. He is permitted canteen and that is sent by Money Orders to: FBOP, PO Box 474701, Des Moines, IA 50947-0001. I find going to the post office with the cash is the cheapest [.95 for the M.O.] I usually have an envelope reading to mail and just get the money order, fill it out and send it that day.

He said the food is pretty decent, they have a salad bar and hot meals most days, on the weekends it is more lax. He is in a 2-bunk cell, but since he is disabled, they do not have anyone presently with him. They have lockers. You can send him letters and cards and newspaper clippings. You cannot send books, complete newspapers or magazines from home. I have found that Amazon.com will send books to your loved one, just be sure to put his ID#, which will be 5 numbers and then 3 numbers [00000-000] on EVERYTHING you send. I buy the used books from Amazon.com for sometimes .01 and S&H! You can also get him subscriptions from the actual magazine company, it just has to come from them. [Go figure?]

We had to fill out paper work to visit him and that took about 2 weeks as I recall. When you go into the facility you cannot take anything but your picture ID and $20 worth of change, NO CASH. You have to sign in and fill out a form stating you do not have any contraband on you; the year, make, color and model of your vehicle along with the license plate number. Do not take anything else in, they will make you take it back to your vehicle or put it in a locker they have there. They have vending machines with sodas, snacks and sandwiches you can microwave. The sodas are .75 and the sandwiches range from $2.50 - $4.00, I think. The change MUST be in a clear container. I went to the drug store and got a clear, see through, cosmetic bag with a zipper. If they cannot see through it, you cannot have it. The first time they will take your picture. They also do periodic drug testing, wiping a wand across your clothing. They did that our first time with my daughter, in a wheelchair. [I cried]. I was sure this place was picking on us, never having been in this situation before in our lives. If you remember to breathe, it does get better. You then go through a metal detector and have to remove your shoes, just like going through airport security. They will stamp your hand with a ultraviolet dye and you will go through double doors, where you will put your hand under a wand that shows the guard you are ready to see your son. You are permitted to hug and kiss him at the beginning and end of the visit. {Make sure he is facing the guard at ALL times and he stays INSIDE the RED LINE, no one told us the first time and he almost lost his visiting privileges.}

When you visit the times are weekends 8:30-3:00, if you get there before 9:30 a half hour before count, they will usually let you back, but if not, then you wait until after count 10:00. I haven't been there during the weekday, but we are going to see him on Friday and he said we could come after 4:00. I can let you know how that goes, if you like?

If you get online and type in BOP and then Butner, NC you can see their website and get more information. Really hope this helps! Oh by the way, we stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Creedmoor which is only 4-5 miles away. There is also a Ramada and Econo Lodge there. My daughter is in a wheelchair, so HIE is the only one with a handicapped shower. We pay about $75/night and it is right off I-85. Pretty easy to get around. Butner facilities are out in the country, so don't worry if you start driving and think you have gone the wrong way! LOL Take care and good luck to you and your son! I understand your need for info. and a little morsel of peace. ~V
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VONNA For This Useful Post:
janine717 (01-16-2009), mortimersmith (09-07-2009)
Old 06-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Donation Award 

Default FCI II Butner

FCI II Butner

Vonna
thanks for sharing the info...it really does become helpful and comforting for others not yet visiting the facility and searching for info.

Something I wished I would have known before walking in the visiting room is...'where to sit'.

Visiting room chairs are set up in different numbers. If you are visiting alone or yourself and up to 3 others...you MUST sit in a '4 chair' layout. If you have more then 4 visitors, you can sit at the larger chair layouts. You can sit anywhere...but if you sit down by yourself at one of the 5-6 chair settings the officer will come ask you to move to a '4 chair' setting.

I've been down a couple times myself now and find it real nice. Facility AND staff! I do wonder since it is not yet at full capacity if it will become extremely conjested in time, though it is a rather large room.

Another helpful hint for those trying to mapquest directions- use 244 Prison Road, Butner NC 27509 as the address. This does not take you directly to the FCI II...but it will lead you to the main road you turn off of which does have signs pointing you to each facility.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:31 PM

I was at FCI Butner back in 2004 for the last 3 months of my sentence. Unfortunately I spent the entire time in the SHU, so I can't tell you a lot about the rest of the facility. The new medium-high was still under construction at the time, and I could see a small section of it off in the distance from my cell window. The food was better than the food at FPC Seymour Johnson, which is where I'd been shipped from. FPC Seymour Johnson is closed now from what I understand.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:19 AM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Winner 

My husband is in Butner Low, just went in and is sentenced to 37 months. I know nothing at this point, other than how to find the place...which took us over an hour once we got to Butner the day he surrendered, thanks to the directions he was given by Federal Probation...
I'm trying to plan a visit mid-July, so thanks so much for the info Vonna.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:24 AM

My son was just sent to Butner a week ago. He is at the VA Unit for now as he goes through processing. He said it was nice there and the food was good. I could tell he was feeling much more positive and upbeat after arriving there. My son will be serving a 10 year or 120 sentence which means he will get out in 8 1/2 years.

I appreciate all the good information I found here.

Drew's MOM
Old 07-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Donation Award 

Has anyone ventured around the area when staying? I found a fewparks, lake and such but not much shopping or things to really do. Only stayed in Creedmoor once so far at the Holiday Inn. Was hoping to find something a little cheaper for future visits as well as something to occupy time! Holiday Inn had a coupon in one of the books but they wouldn't offer it...said all the available rooms were taken! I'll try once more...after that they are off my list! )