Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:04 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,879 Times in 12,634 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. There is much information available here about what to expect when you self surrender, and what to expect inside federal prison. Be sure to check the Federal Prison Info & Self Surrendering forum for answers to your questions.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=274

If you will be serving your sentence in the minimum security camp, it will be different from the conditions in the low security FCI, so that should be your first question.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:45 AM

Thanked 2,244 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by americandream View Post
Dear Madam/sir,

My self-surrender date is Feb. 4, 2015, and I'd like to get some information regarding how to report, what can I bring with me, how much money can I bring, a reading glass? and what is life like inside, can I email?

I'd appreciate your reply!

John
Hi,

My husband did about a year and a half at La Tuna before he transferred out in September.

He took his CPAP machine and his Bible with him to self-surrender and wasn't allowed to keep either one. Both were shipped back to me and then I mailed his Bible back to him. So the Bible is allowed but maybe they just don't want to deal with extra things when you surrender. I don't know. My husband took his glasses and a spare pair with him.

Don't take money with you. As soon as you have your BOP register number (xxxxx-xxx), you can deposit money into your commissary account. Two ways:
1. Western Union. WU has a max of $300 for money transfers to the BOP. There are fees associated with the transfer, so the next option is better, though not as fast.
2. Send a postal money order to
Federal BOP
Your name
Your register number
PO Box 474701
Des Moines IA 50947-0001
Not sure if there is a maximum on the amount you can send this way. A friend sends $500 at a time.

At La Tuna, you will be assigned a job. All inmates are to have a job. La Tuna has decent hobby shop--ceramics, leather-working. Your biggest enemy in prison is going to be boredom, so sign up for classes.

How to report? Park in the visitors' lot, climb the steps to the upper level and walk to the front door. (The upper level has handicapped parking if your driver needs that.) The building is kind of pretty (if you ignore the razor wire) and has a big wide front porch. The CO at the front desk will take it from there. You will need your drivers license.

La Tuna is the second-oldest BOP facility; it opened in 1932, I believe. It is shabby. My husband made good friends there. I am sure you will, too.

I wish you well and hope your time passes quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to CookieBaker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-26-2015)
Old 01-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,917 Posts

$500.00 is the post office limit on money orders; the BoP allows more sent at a time, but I don't remember how much more.

I only use the post office; Western Union is faster, but it's more costly.
CookieBaker (01-26-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 03:48 AM

My love is currently serving time in la tuna I visit often and can answer any questions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shirleyg385 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-07-2015), swurdinger (06-07-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 09:40 AM

Default I need update on LaTuna Satellite Low any locks downs? Recently

Im just very concerned has there been any lock downs since last week? August 2015 please let me know thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 09:07 PM

Default Could some one help me pls

Hi, my father currently became an inmate in fci la tuna my mom want to visit him but she doesnt have anyone to take her there, we live in Juárez, so i wanted to know if there are any busses from el paso to the facility or to some place close also they send us a form to fill in so they can approve the visitors but it has been a month already and they havent answered what should we do?
Thank you for read i apreciatte any information
Old 01-16-2016, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavel86 View Post
Hi, my father currently became an inmate in fci la tuna my mom want to visit him but she doesnt have anyone to take her there, we live in Juárez, so i wanted to know if there are any busses from el paso to the facility or to some place close also they send us a form to fill in so they can approve the visitors but it has been a month already and they havent answered what should we do?
Thank you for read i apreciatte any information
Hi Clavel,
I am sorry your family is dealing with this. My husband left La Tuna about a year ago, so some things may have changed since then.

If you have completed the form requesting approval to visit and sent it to his counselor, your father is supposed to notify you if you have been approved. The prison will not notify you. In your next letter or phone call, ask your father if he has gotten an answer yet. He can talk to the counselor to see if there is a problem with the forms.

The page with information about visitation at La Tuna says,
Quote:
Unfortunately, there is no Government payment or reimbursement for transportation. Please arrange transportation to and from the facility accordingly. If you have any questions, please call the prison facility. Staff can help with directions, including how to get there by public transportation when available.
To get information about public transportation:
  • Your father can ask the counselor about public transportation.
  • It looks as if you can use this webpage to ask SunMetro (the public transportation company) about routes.
  • You can also ask your hotel if they have a shuttle that can take you to La Tuna and pick you up. (I found that the La Quinta El Paso West had good rates but I do not know the answer about the shuttle.)

Good luck with your travel arrangements.

Oh, and when you do finally get to visit your father, the burritos in the vending machines are quite good--better than the other sandwich offerings. :-)
fbopnomore (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. I hope you are able to visit your father soon.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsAngel View Post
Hi! My husband is currently at FCI La Tuna Satellite Low. He has been there for about 2 months. I have been there to visit once. I live in another state, so I cannot visit often. Any info would be great? I can share what I know too to anyone who wants it!
so how is it there I will be going this month
Old 01-02-2018, 10:40 PM

new to this don't know if im posting this right ,anyways how is it there for him ?
Old 01-02-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldarchuleta View Post
new to this don't know if im posting this right ,anyways how is it there for him ?
Gerald, you are posting just fine. This thread is active only intermittently but reading earlier posts in this thread will still be useful for you.

Best advice I have is to begin working toward reentry on your first day. Stay out of trouble, take classes, learn something that will help you when you leave to go home.

I wish you well in your stay there and I hope your time goes quickly.
fbopnomore (01-03-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:26 AM
Alaskachic

Default Ex bf Jesse father of our daughter just got there from Alaska

My daughter father Jesse just got there from Alaska. What is the prison like there???
Old 04-10-2018, 10:26 PM
Alaskachic

Default Any where

So there no place to search for inmates pictures at FCI la tuna???
Old 04-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

None that I am aware of.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:55 AM

Smile FCI La Tuna Alumni ... 7 years

Hi everyone! I just returned home from a 7 years stay at FCI La Tuna.. if you are interested in knowing anything about the place I can assure you that I can probably answer any question you have about what goes on inside that place. If you have a loved one headed there or you are headed there yourself it can be a real mind job not knowing what you are walking into. I know this because at the beginning of my sentence my family friends and myself felt the same way.. I would like to help maybee ease your stress and anxiety a bit . I only wish I had that little piece of mind before I went in... so if you have any questions or concerns regarding the main low security FCI La Tuna, please feel free to post your questions on the forum or contact me privately...
The Following User Says Thank You to Thebodylab12 For This Useful Post:
CookieBaker (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:11 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk and thank you for offering to share your experience at LaTuna. The changes from freedom to incarceration by the bop are extreme, and understanding what prison life is really like (minus the TV sensationalism) definitely helps.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 AM

Default You have no idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk and thank you for offering to share your experience at LaTuna. The changes from freedom to incarceration by the bop are extreme, and understanding what prison life is really like (minus the TV sensationalism) definitely helps.
This was not my first prison sentence.. but for my mind it was definately the worst.. I have been having a real hard time comming back this time... but I did make the best of my time that I was away.. used my time constructively, educated my self and dove in deep into my own psychology to find what it was/is that drives my self destructive behaviors that always seem to lead me to places like this.. so this time away was the worst and greatest experience of my life and some how I have found how to really appreciate it..
The Following User Says Thank You to Thebodylab12 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:19 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

My initiation to bop prison was as much of a shock as the day I arrived in Army basic training. I had no idea what to expect, but at least in the military, we were all starting out together.

In the bop, the most critical knowledge was figuring out who to trust, and especially which inmates to avoid at all cost.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:15 AM

Default any info on the whole process with going to the shu??

My husbands been at the camp for a year, just got taken to the shu. Wanted to know if and when i can visit him and how to appeal his 102/108 series shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebodylab12 View Post
Hi everyone! I just returned home from a 7 years stay at FCI La Tuna.. if you are interested in knowing anything about the place I can assure you that I can probably answer any question you have about what goes on inside that place. If you have a loved one headed there or you are headed there yourself it can be a real mind job not knowing what you are walking into. I know this because at the beginning of my sentence my family friends and myself felt the same way.. I would like to help maybee ease your stress and anxiety a bit . I only wish I had that little piece of mind before I went in... so if you have any questions or concerns regarding the main low security FCI La Tuna, please feel free to post your questions on the forum or contact me privately...
Old 04-02-2019, 10:05 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The LaTuna A&O handbook (inmate rules) explains the disciplinary process toward the end of the document, including the maximum punishments he is facing.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...ohandbook1.pdf

He can continue to appeal hearing decisions, and negative appeal findings, but there is a short time limit at each step of the process that he has to meet. Otherwise his appeal will be permanently denied as "untimely".

If he is found guilty of any 100 series shot by the disciplinary hearing officer, DHO, he will be moved to a higher security level prison.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:40 PM

Thank you, they are refusing my mail to him. And i can tell by his letters to me that hes not been given one of my letters. Also, they havent told him what the shots are just the number of them. who can I call to get some answers and make sure he gets to appeal them before its too late?
Old 04-11-2019, 05:08 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Does he have a lawyer? The minimum they could accomplish is to send him "legal mail" which he will definitely receive.

You could also email the LaTuna administrative assistant, but that may not get you anywhere either.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/lat/