Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:02 PM

Hey I did a year at Englewood and got out in july 08. I'd be glad to tell you whatever you want to know. As far as camps go, I think its one of the better ones because its very small, when I left there was maybe 150+ guys in the whole camp. Everyone knows everyone. Activities include tennis courts, bocce ball, a weight room, a handball court, baseball diamond and running track. It also overlooks a golf course, if you can believe that. Theres a tiny craft room for leatherworking, but don't get your hopes up about using it because its run by a aryan convict that thinks it belongs to him. Theres a big room that serves as the chapel, and there are a few services weekly. That about sums um activities.

As for food, it was horrible. And not just prison bad, I mean it was garbage. The kitchen was condemned right when I was leaving because inmates were dropping lots of cop-outs and some may have even gone to govt. agencies off camp...and I remember guys in hazmat suits ripping the kitchen apart a few days before I left. I mention that because the food was prepared in that environment, which was also plagued by rats. The walls were sealed to "cover up" the black mold. The kitchen food was picked over daily by inmate kitchen crew and sold on the "black market". My advice, buy commissary food and cook your own, cook with other guys in the unit, and supplement your com food with kitchen food and the few decent staples like eggs or whatever.

Education; Its a joke. The program is virtually non-existant. I was a tutor and we tried to get the guys their GED tests, for which they studied for daily, but the admin would never give them the test, they made excuse after excuse, and date after date that they missed. The whole thing is a farce. They had one educ. guy that was ok, but the best he could do for ya was get you a decent job, and tell some funny stories while saying his own name in the 3rd person. Don't plan on learning anything in a structured way. The library is small, but full of good books, so that was cool.

Living situation; Cramped. Theres 2 units. One for RDAP (programming/brainwashing) and one for general inmates. Whichever side your on, your gonna have a min. of 4 guys in a room. Sometimes 5, then it gets cramped and crazy. 4 is bad enough, but if you bunk with some decent guys, and ppl show some respect, its totally do-able. One of the good things about this camp, and the housing units, is that each room has its OWN BATHROOM, with a door, a toilet, a sink and shower! Yep, probably the best "luxury" you can hope for in prison, short of good food and good cellys.

Work programs; Theres a lot to choose from. Tutors, landscaping, garden crew, suicide watch, groundhog patrol (yea, no joke), warehouse, and probably about another dozen or so jobs. They even have a gig for drivers, where you can drive OFF COMPOUND. Its reserved for model inmates, but pretty much everyone is eligible.

I can tell you more, just let me know what you want to know, hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 PM

Quay was still there when I got out in july 08. He was like a assistant warden if memory serves.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2sandwiches View Post
Hey I did a year at Englewood and got out in july 08. I'd be glad to tell you whatever you want to know. As far as camps go, I think its one of the better ones because its very small, when I left there was maybe 150+ guys in the whole camp. Everyone knows everyone. Activities include tennis courts, bocce ball, a weight room, a handball court, baseball diamond and running track. It also overlooks a golf course, if you can believe that. Theres a tiny craft room for leatherworking, but don't get your hopes up about using it because its run by a aryan convict that thinks it belongs to him. Theres a big room that serves as the chapel, and there are a few services weekly. That about sums um activities.

As for food, it was horrible. And not just prison bad, I mean it was garbage. The kitchen was condemned right when I was leaving because inmates were dropping lots of cop-outs and some may have even gone to govt. agencies off camp...and I remember guys in hazmat suits ripping the kitchen apart a few days before I left. I mention that because the food was prepared in that environment, which was also plagued by rats. The walls were sealed to "cover up" the black mold. The kitchen food was picked over daily by inmate kitchen crew and sold on the "black market". My advice, buy commissary food and cook your own, cook with other guys in the unit, and supplement your com food with kitchen food and the few decent staples like eggs or whatever.

Education; Its a joke. The program is virtually non-existant. I was a tutor and we tried to get the guys their GED tests, for which they studied for daily, but the admin would never give them the test, they made excuse after excuse, and date after date that they missed. The whole thing is a farce. They had one educ. guy that was ok, but the best he could do for ya was get you a decent job, and tell some funny stories while saying his own name in the 3rd person. Don't plan on learning anything in a structured way. The library is small, but full of good books, so that was cool.

Living situation; Cramped. Theres 2 units. One for RDAP (programming/brainwashing) and one for general inmates. Whichever side your on, your gonna have a min. of 4 guys in a room. Sometimes 5, then it gets cramped and crazy. 4 is bad enough, but if you bunk with some decent guys, and ppl show some respect, its totally do-able. One of the good things about this camp, and the housing units, is that each room has its OWN BATHROOM, with a door, a toilet, a sink and shower! Yep, probably the best "luxury" you can hope for in prison, short of good food and good cellys.

Work programs; Theres a lot to choose from. Tutors, landscaping, garden crew, suicide watch, groundhog patrol (yea, no joke), warehouse, and probably about another dozen or so jobs. They even have a gig for drivers, where you can drive OFF COMPOUND. Its reserved for model inmates, but pretty much everyone is eligible.

I can tell you more, just let me know what you want to know, hope this helps.
Have you been anywhere else? To compare it?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,379 Times in 4,637 Posts
Default FCI Englewood CO - 1952 aerial photo

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Photo-1...-/230510915414
Old 08-21-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50 View Post
Can you tell me anything about Englewood? I hardly read anything about that prison. My boyfriend is in there, and Im curious about how it is. Thanks
Old 09-25-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinmyboo View Post
Can you tell me anything about Englewood? I hardly read anything about that prison. My boyfriend is in there, and Im curious about how it is. Thanks
FCI Englewood is a low security prison. Not much goes on there violence wise. The staff are fairly nice and the inmates want to stay there instead of transferring. The only complaints I hear about is the food. I guess just like anywhere else.
The Following User Says Thank You to StaMarine For This Useful Post:
lovinmyboo (10-17-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 06:46 PM

Default Duluth or Englewood

I have to surrender to Duluth this month. It is 800 miles from home for me.

I am wondering if anyone here has been to both Duluth and Englewood. Englewood is only 250 so it would be better for my wife and kids.

My wife is impressed with the way everybody talks about Duluth and she is worried that I may be miserable if I transfer and Englewood is worse.

Whats your opinion?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,441 Times in 801 Posts

From what I've heard and read, Duluth is a better facility albeit very, very cold. Englewood is very, very old and not only that but Duluth is one of the very few freestanding camps in the BOP. Englewood is an FCI Low. Also Duluth has a lot of programs and a big movie theater. Housing is dormitary style. It may be too cold to play tennis but if I had a choice I'd probably choose Duluth. It's cold in Colorado too. What difference does 20 or 30 degrees make?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the reply

I love the cold, so that wont play a part in my decision.

My wife doesnt figure she will be able to see me more than 1-2 times per year if she has to come that far. But if I were at Englewood she would be able to come every month, maybe more.
The Following User Says Thank You to jagchaser For This Useful Post:
aba (10-02-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,379 Times in 4,637 Posts

There are pros and cons to every facility. You can make the best of wherever you are. If you're asking my opinion, I'd say go for the one where your wife can visit more frequently. You don't say how long you'll be there but the face-to-face contact, the hugs/kisses, help keep a relationship going through the trying times. She's worried about you - you're worried about her. That's a good sign of a close relationship.

That said, it sounds like you're already designated so I'm not sure there's much you can do to change that - except request a transfer from Duluth and usually you have to serve 18 months before that might be granted. By then, you'll probably be ready for a change.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
aba (10-02-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 04:29 PM

Default Im lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRidin4Him View Post
Any Info you need I most likely got that place is like my second home Do you go visit often?
Hello my best friend an was transford from Fort Dix to colorado can you help me
Old 10-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa_2006 View Post
Welcome to PTO. I cant give you any info on that place but many probally will. Lots of support here though.
my best friend was transferd there I have sadly lost contact with him and I miss him dearly his name is Jason Hopkins
Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,890 Times in 16,530 Posts

I've located him, will send you a pm.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 11-12-2010, 03:09 AM

Thanks I am new on prison Talk and I have a friend thinking of trying to go to Englewood this was good info. Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 02:48 PM

My husband is moving to Englewood FCI (2011) from Bastrop FCI. Please tell me what he needs to know about the facility, and if he should move or not? Please help!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kss View Post
Thanks I am new on prison Talk and I have a friend thinking of trying to go to Englewood this was good info. Thanks

Have you found anything out about Englewood FCI? My husband is deciding wether it is worth it or not. Please help!
Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Smile need info on fci englewood?

Financee Might be transfered to englewood, would appreciate any info anyone might have on this fci..thanks

Last edited by lonelytxbird11; 07-11-2011 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-17-2011, 05:19 PM

Default camp or fci ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRidin4Him View Post
Any Info you need I most likely got that place is like my second home Do you go visit often?
whats it like? visiting room, dress code my financee is getting transfered soon..just looking for a heads up..thanks
Old 10-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Ride or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelytxbird11 View Post
whats it like? visiting room, dress code my financee is getting transfered soon..just looking for a heads up..thanks
Do you still need info ????
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM

I am a reporter is doing a story about Englewood because former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich will be reporting there soon. I would like to interview someone who has been assigned there and has been released, or someone who currently has a relative there. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:37 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,206 Times in 2,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyelL558 View Post
I am a reporter is doing a story about Englewood because former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich will be reporting there soon. I would like to interview someone who has been assigned there and has been released, or someone who currently has a relative there. Thanks.

• Media / Journalists & Students / Researchers:
When a journalist or member of the media posts on the site - or students/researchers post on the site for research purposes - they are expected to explain the purpose of the request to the members and to encourage members to post their stories in the thread. Considering the fact that this is a prisoner-oriented site, any media stories evolving from PTO communication should be that of a positive nature. Requests with the intent of provoking derogatory comments about prisoners or corrections officers will not be tolerated. Inviting outside contact of PTO members is also not allowed. Persons in the media and students/researchers are also not allowed to send unsolicited emails and/or private messages to members of PTO. Posting a personal email address within the thread is also not allowed. It is not the responsibility of the PTO Administration or Staff to authenticate or verify any statement or facts purported by members of PTO.

At the discretion of PTO Administration, any media-related post/request or research-related post/request may be removed from the site. This may be done without warning or prior notification. PTO does not endorse any media outlet, journalist, member of the media or media story/report, or any students/researchers or involved educational/research institution. However, any information obtained from this site must be credited to Prisontalk.com and its members. Failure to follow these rules and policies will result in the request being immediately removed from the site and permanent banning of the media member(s) or students/researchers involved.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:31 PM

Anyone have a current loved on in englewood , my finacee is planning on trying to transfer just to be closer to me ..but id really like to know what its like for him before he does that ..
Old 09-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Ride or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelytxbird11 View Post
Anyone have a current loved on in englewood , my finacee is planning on trying to transfer just to be closer to me ..but id really like to know what its like for him before he does that ..
It hasn't changed that much in the last year.....If you need info let me know what you are wanting to know and I will do the best to give you the info...They have free weights, work out area, Visits are Friday 4-8pm Saturday and Sunday 830-330 and Monday 4-8pm, points are different there for visits, food isn't the best, they do have a lot of programs, they closed the Unicor programs so I am not sure on the place job wise it might be a bit short, so there isn't any good paying jobs there right now...Not sure what other info you are wanting let me know
Old 02-09-2013, 05:12 AM

Default Englewood Camp - Cheap Motel? Furloughs?

The judge has ordered that my husband serve the rest of his time in Englewood Camp ( though goodness knows how long it will take for them to get him there - 17 days since and they still have his paperwork in the pretrial services offices). I live in England and am planning on going to Denver to visit him on my summer trip to Utah. Looking forward to it as I havent seen him since June. I do not hire a car, but understand public transport in Denver is good.

I wonder if anyone knows of a reasonably priced motel within walking distance of the camp. I dont mind walking up to 3 miles.

Also my hubby thinks he may be able to get a furlough for 72 hrs for my visit. Hes been in since January 2012. Anyone any info on this?

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM

Does the FCI have dorm housing or cells? Anyone with recent experience that can tell me about the hobby room? How long of a wait to get a hobby locker? My LO is asking for a transfer here and I am hoping to get him some info. Thanks.