Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 PM

My husband's judge requested Bastrop and we got lucky, they had room. We have our first visit tomorrow so I may know more after that to help...
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 AM

Every list varies from facility to facility.....And as far as units being different they shouldn't be. The only unit that should gave a different list is SHU and that is it.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

You can ask your inmate to send you a commissary list.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM

Default Questions about FCI Bastrop

can anyone tell me about this place he good the bad the ugly
Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Keeper of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics woman View Post
Not bad at all. My loved one has been there for almost a year and I've visited many times.

There aren't really any programs (educational or otherwise), so you guy will need to be able to entertain himself. Lots of the guys walk around the track or play basketball.

The food is acceptable.

The guards are generally reasonably courteous -- in fact, they've always been VERY nice to me.

If your guy is not in for long, he won't get a very meaningful job. The UNICOR jobs go to guys with a fair bit of time still to serve.

Visitation is only on Saturdays and Sundays from 8 am to 3 pm. No metal detector to get through as a visitor. You can sit inside in the visitor room or outside in the yard. Vending machines are available. (Hamburgers are $4, soft drinks in cans are .75, and in bottles $1.50.) Buy him something early, because the machines sell out.

They sleep in a dorm kind of arrangement. Not a lot of privacy, but not bad.

There is no violence. The guys at the camp are there because either: (1) they've done enough of their sentence that they're close to getting out or (2) they don't have very long sentences. Either way, there's a great incentive to behave.

If you've got specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to llamagirl For This Useful Post:
BearsWife360 (03-18-2014)
Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Always waiting for Friday
Donation Award 

My boyfriend is attempting to transfer to the FCI (or maybe the camp) soon. It owuld be helpful to find out about the FCI, I think llamagirl is describing the camp because that doesn't sound like and FCI.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Donation Award 

Yeah, that's the camp llamagirl is talking about. I left the low back in December 2005. It's not a terrible place (better than many other Lows). Three man rooms with a toilet and sink in each room. Visitation 5 days a week (when I was there). Generally, a laid back place.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Keeper of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyGeek View Post
Yeah, that's the camp llamagirl is talking about. I left the low back in December 2005. It's not a terrible place (better than many other Lows). Three man rooms with a toilet and sink in each room. Visitation 5 days a week (when I was there). Generally, a laid back place.

That's right -- my bad. (I think I need those reading glasses on more than I think I do... *sigh*)

FPC Bastrop (which is part of the FCI Bastrop complex) is what I was talking about.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I have a brother who's been there since Fall 08 and from what I've seen and heard, it's not a bad place. From a visiting standpoint, it's really not bad at all - most of the staff are polite and sometimes even friendly. Visits are Th, Fr, Sa, Su, Mo, sitting side by side in a room that looks like a waiting room at the DMV. Tues. & Wed. are for visits for guys in solitary, I think, and for processing new guys. A lot of families bring kids in for visits and the atmosphere is pretty positive around that - I've never seen the guards get after anyone if their child is running around a bit, even though the guidelines say it's not allowed.

They do offer programming, including classes in GED, computer applications, accounting, real estate, mind/body wellness, abs training, spin, parenting, building trades, art, and probably others. Sounds like the class offerings rotate. The outdoor rec yard has a track and at least for a while there was an inmate teaching yoga on the weekends. Some of the classes are low quality, canceled with no notice, etc., but at least there seems to be enough to keep the guys busy if they want to be. Also sounds like the guys look out for each other - no horror stories so far, knock on wood, we're 8 months into it. Lots of tattoos - I guess that's everywhere. Lots of tattoos of the lone star and the state of Texas - I guess that's, well, Texas.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylmopriv View Post
My boyfriend is attempting to transfer to the FCI (or maybe the camp) soon. It owuld be helpful to find out about the FCI, I think llamagirl is describing the camp because that doesn't sound like and FCI.
my man has been in the fci now for about 4months. he said it is not a bad place.food is decent.lots of gangs but they all seem to be laid back not a lot of drama. the cops treat you with some concern like a humane and not dirt.
he has not foud a job yet but does walk the track and lift weights.first time he has been able to do that in a long time.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
i spent two years at the camp at bastrop...we went to the FCI for medical and when we were bad boys....when i was there, was a decent place...lots of the campers are guys from the FCI that get short..all in all, they were ok with it...they did not like the dormitory living at the camp, vs the 3 man cells at the FCI; we shared the same CO's, and they were mostly decent.
its changing now, they are seemingly changing the camp to a fenced in facility, so my info may be a bit dated
Old 07-06-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsxr1 View Post
i spent two years at the camp at bastrop...we went to the FCI for medical and when we were bad boys....when i was there, was a decent place...lots of the campers are guys from the FCI that get short..all in all, they were ok with it...they did not like the dormitory living at the camp, vs the 3 man cells at the FCI; we shared the same CO's, and they were mostly decent.
its changing now, they are seemingly changing the camp to a fenced in facility, so my info may be a bit dated

whoops, just noted the date of your request, i am bout six years late getting back to you
Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 PM

Default Bastrop

Quote:
Hi my hubby has been at bastrop a little over a year. He has been getting along fine no real problems. The food isnt the best and it is always hot but thats to be expected. I am going there in a few months i only visit every 6 because of the expense.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Keeper of the Flame

Exclamation Anyone Know What Happened at the Bastrop Camp on 7/18?

A friend was visiting my loved one at Bastrop Camp yesterday. He called me to let me know that visitation was cut short and closed down abruptly without explanation, other than there was an "incident."

That's never happened to my knowledge in the year my loved one has been there -- anyone know what happened? My loved one was supposed to call tonight and hasn't -- I'm wondering if the Camp is on lockdown?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
MAYROSE (07-20-2009)
Old 07-20-2009, 10:01 AM

Default Something odd is happening in Bastrop

My son calls everyday and I havent heard from him since Friday. It is Monday afternoon now. He was at the camp but is at the Bastrop FCI in the pre-release drug program now

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamagirl View Post
A friend was visiting my loved one at Bastrop Camp yesterday. He called me to let me know that visitation was cut short and closed down abruptly without explanation, other than there was an "incident."

That's never happened to my knowledge in the year my loved one has been there -- anyone know what happened? My loved one was supposed to call tonight and hasn't -- I'm wondering if the Camp is on lockdown?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Default Bastrop FCI incident?

I usually hear from my son everyday by phone, I have not heard from him since Friday and today is Monday. He is at the Bastrop Texas FCI low. I read that there was some sort of incident on Saturday and they closed visitation abruptly at the Camp. That is all I know and I do not know if it is factual. Any other information would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM

Question Possible Lockdown?

My father is also at the Bastrop camp. I showed up from Houston on Sunday only to find they had suspended all visits.

I'm certain that he would've called Saturday afternoon/night, if he had been able, so it looks like they cut all outbound communications, but I'm wondering if they're still receiving mail. I'll send a letter just in case.

When this happens usually you just have to wait for the communications to open again and then they'll let you know what happened on the phone, if they can. If not, they'll surely tell you what they know during your next visit.

The biggest worry when this happens is how LONG it will be before we can see or hear from them again? Once I hear anything else, I'll post it up here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drmrboyc For This Useful Post:
adnerb (07-22-2009), MAYROSE (07-20-2009)
Old 07-20-2009, 01:07 PM

FCI- BASTROP- JULY 18, 2009

Around noon today approximately 50 to 60 inmates began fighting on the rec yard with rakes and other weapons, the outside patrol officer being concerned for the safety of the recreation officer fired a warning shot into the ground, inmates then laid down. As of this time two inmates are in the local hospital, no staff injuries reported at this time.

http://www.cpl33.info/id29.html

Last edited by tolong; 07-20-2009 at 01:10 PM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tolong For This Useful Post:
adnerb (07-22-2009), drmrboyc (07-21-2009), MAYROSE (07-20-2009), mtmorgan (07-27-2009), texana4152 (07-22-2009), thecuencars (07-22-2009), whiteraider (07-21-2009)
Old 07-20-2009, 01:51 PM

Default Thanks for the information!

Thanks for posting that link, I'll check there from now on when something like this happens.

I'm guessing the REC yard is in the low security area? I know there's a track on the camp grounds.

Again, thanks for the information.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmrboyc For This Useful Post:
MAYROSE (07-20-2009)
Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Keeper of the Flame

No one knows much -- there apparently was an incident at the low on Saturday and visitation was closed at the Camp (where my loved one is). I haven't heard from my loved one since -- I can only assume there's a lockdown in place, although I haven't been able to confirm it.

We'll all have to hang in there together and wait....
Old 07-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Keeper of the Flame

tolong--

Thank you so much for the information!

To all of us with loved ones at Bastrop -- hang in there.
MAYROSE (07-20-2009)
Old 07-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Keeper of the Flame

MAYROSE-- Check my thread on this -- tolong provided some information. There was an incident.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:55 PM

Default Lockdown

I spoke to an employee at BASTROP FCI, he did not give any details as to what happened. He did say they were in lockdown and would probably open communications by Wednesday or Thursday. MAYROSE

Last edited by MAYROSE; 07-20-2009 at 05:08 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MAYROSE For This Useful Post:
annjamamma (07-22-2009), drmrboyc (07-21-2009), llamagirl (07-20-2009), suewho (07-21-2009), texana4152 (07-22-2009)
Old 07-20-2009, 05:06 PM

Default Bastrop fci

Does anyone know if there is a forum or chat room or anything like that for Bastrop FCI only, on this site or anywhere on the WEB? If so how would I access it, I am not very computer savvy. Thanks to all in advance. MAYROSE
Old 07-21-2009, 07:42 AM

Default FCI Bastrop on Lockdown

I went to visit my BF this past Sunday (for my birthday!) and found out they were closed for visitation until further notice. Haven't had a phone call for several days. Ran across this article in the Statesman yesterday. Hope the lockdown ends soon!

Two inmates injured in Bastrop prison fight

Monday, July 20, 2009, 03:52 PM

A federal prison in Bastrop is under lockdown after a fight broke out between several inmates over the weekend, leaving two injured, federal officials said.

Federal Bureau of Prisons spokeswoman Traci Billingsley said that on Saturday, a fight occurred in the recreation area of the Federal Correctional Institution in Bastrop, which houses low security male inmates.

Two inmates were taken to an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries, Billingsley said. They were brought back to the prison after being treated. Their names have not been released.

The prison, which houses 1,300 inmates and is located on State Highway 95, remains locked down, Billingsley said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYROSE View Post
My son calls everyday and I havent heard from him since Friday. It is Monday afternoon now. He was at the camp but is at the Bastrop FCI in the pre-release drug program now
The Following User Says Thank You to suewho For This Useful Post:
MAYROSE (07-21-2009)