Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Default USP Marion

I just found out my brother will be going to usp marion illinois next month.Could someone please give me any information on this facility.I am very worried.I would like to know the conditions there;is it dangerous;a gym;any information will help me please.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2008, 01:11 PM

Default Marion Federal Prison Camp - Just Returned

Hi

I just returned from a year at the Marion IL Federal Prison Camp. I would be glad to answer any questions about my time there.

I will be posting more info as time permits.

patrick
Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 PM

Red face Usp marion?

Hello everyone,
I'm Mrs.Hurley and I'm from Brazil..
nice to meet u all..
I'm looking for info on USP MARION, it has been 4 days since I read from my guy and I'm a lil worried..he usually writes everyday.
They let him use the pc to send emails....
I'm totally new to this and its my first time ever corresponding with an inmate, I don't quite know yet how things work in USP , I have been looking for a thread on it but I haven't found anything ..
any help will be appreciate it.
hugs from Brazil,
H
Old 12-11-2008, 09:54 AM

Default FPC in Marion Il

Hey Patrick,

I have a friend that will self surrender to Marion in January 09. Could you give me some details as to what he will need to bring with him.... money, personal items etc... What are the accomdations like? Any details you can provide will be great. I'm trying to help him as much as I can. Like I said any details would be great.

Thank you!
Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Closed

Bom Dia!

I will send you a Private Message with my email for more info
Old 12-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Closed

--

Last edited by ImANurse; 12-11-2008 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 12-11-2008, 05:05 PM

Smile thank u

thank u so much honey. I'm gonna email u.
God bless you and your whole family!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:11 PM

Hello!
I'd be happy to share all I can about Marion Camp. I spent about 11 months there - came home in June 08. It's the only place I did time, so I can't compare it to other places. It is generally a very relaxed environment. The CO's leave you alone if you aren't a troublemaker. Lots of freedom really to do whatever you want.
You can't bring much with you the day your surrender. Officially, you will throw away (or they will ship home for you) all of your clothes, except for plain white tennis shoes and a watch. You can wear those in. But, they can't be fancy or they won't let you keep them. Depending on the guard who checks you in, he might let you keep the following if you are wearing them: grey sweats or shorts, white or grey t-shirt, white socks, white boxers. You can also bring a bible, a religious medallion (like a cross necklace), cash and a list of names/addresses/phone numbers. I'd bring a couple hundred dollars if possible. I'd also mail myself my list of addresses, etc. a day or two before I reported as well just in case.
Other stuff:
For rec, they have:
- basketball (open and leagues)
- softball leagues
- volleyball leagues
- tennis (open and leagues)
- horseshoes
- bocce ball
- weight pile
- walking/running track
- exercise equipment
Some more info:
- the food is pretty bad; no salad bar
- no lights out time; you can stay up all night watching tv or reading if you want
- there are about 300 guys there
- only 6 phones, but usually not much of a wait
- about 75% drugs, 25% white collar
- about 70% black, 25% white, 5% hispanic
The CO's were all pretty decent. Again, if you didn't bother them, they didn't bother you.
Visiting was pretty nice. Occasionally, there was a guard who really clamped down and would only let you hold hands. Most didn't even pay attention - you could cuddle, hug, sit very close, etc.
I know a lot of guys there still. I'd be glad to let some folks know your friend is coming, and they'll be ready for him. Send me a private message and we can connect outside of this. I have lots more to share.
Any other questions, just ask! I'd be glad to help out as much as I can.
Patrick
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Patrick_Indiana For This Useful Post:
BlkSoldier (01-09-2012), Bucks (01-04-2009), hyperwoody (02-12-2009), Kimmy2008 (12-15-2008), luv4hym (02-07-2009), MILOJRT (07-07-2009), Zelda50 (12-14-2008)
Old 12-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Cobra

Patrick-
I'm probably headed their early next year and would like to know some more detailed info, if possible. Just whatever comes to mind, I've never been in so I don't really know what to expect. Do you have your own personal TV you can purchase? Is music allowed? Thanks.

Last edited by Coby5gbp; 12-14-2008 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 PM

Hi Coby -
I'm sorry to hear you are heading off to camp. But, it will be OK. There are a lot of decent guys there. And I will help prepare you in advance as much as possible.
There are no personal TV's at a camp. There are about 10 TV's total. Several are dedicated to certain things - sports, news, spanish, BET, etc. And they do show movies on DVD every weekend. You can have a walkman type radio. There are decent radio channels available, depending on what kind of music you like. No CD's. No MP3 players are allowed either, but there are lots of them there.
Send me a private message and we'll connect offline. I have much more to share.
Patrick
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick_Indiana For This Useful Post:
hyperwoody (02-12-2009)
Old 12-15-2008, 01:33 PM

Default FPC Marion Il.

Hello Patrick,

Thank you so very much for your information! It makes me feel some better. Neither one of us knew what a Federal Camp was and what to expect. I have spent many hours online looking, but your details were the most helpful. Again, Thank you so much for time and help.

One more question if you don't mind. Do they have jobs you can do? He is not one to sit still and twiddle this thumbs. He has been a mechanic for 20 years.

Have a great day!
Kimmy

Last edited by Kimmy2008; 12-15-2008 at 02:06 PM..
Old 12-15-2008, 08:44 PM

Hi Kimmy!
Yes, everyone at camp will have a job. However, most of the jobs are really a waste of time... About half of the people work a 'full-time' job from 8a to 2:30p with an hour for lunch. This could be in the carpenter shop, the steam shop, the water plant, etc. They essentially maintain the infrastructure of the camp. Most other jobs are more part-time: you could clean a bathroom every other day for an hour, you could work in the library for a couple of 4-hour shifts per week, you could work in the kitchen every other day, etc. Some guys like the full-time jobs because it helps pass the time better. Others - like me - have plenty that I want to do like exercise, study, read, etc., so they choose to have a part-time job. Now for the bad part - they all pay between $20 and $60/month... Just provides a little spending money. You generally don't have much say about your first job, unless you are an experienced carpenter for example, and that's what you want to do, and you make it known. You get the better jobs over time based on who you know and how you behave.
Hope that helps! Send along your next questions... :-) If you'd like to send me a private message, we can connect offline.
Patrick
hyperwoody (02-12-2009)
Old 12-16-2008, 01:48 PM

Default FPC Marion Il

Good Afternoon Patrick,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU so very much for the information. I'm trying to do all I can to help prepare him for for the next 30 months. You have shed a great light on subject. I didn't have a clue as to what a camp was, it sounds a whole lot better than a jail cell. But then again all I know about them is what I see on TV.

Again, Thank you so much for your help!

Have a great day!

Kimmy
Old 12-16-2008, 02:54 PM

Default Fpc marion

Patrick Indiana - Doesn't Marion have a motor pool to service their vehcles? Kimmy mentions that her significant other has 20 years of mechanic experience. At Duluth we had a pretty big mechanic shop to service all of the vehicles used by inmates and staff.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:21 PM

Yes! They do have a garage for maintaining all the vehicles. It can be one of the more difficult jobs to get, but if that is what he wants to do - I would recommend mentioning the 20 years experience while they are processing you in and also to your 'counselor', whom you will meet with in the first couple of days. If you can't get in right away, at least they'll know you're interested. Maybe it will happen down the road.
Thanks!
hyperwoody (02-12-2009)
Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 PM
almostgone

Hello Patrick! Sure was great reading you're posts about Marion, I have to self-surrender on Jan. 15,'09 there and havent been able to find any info. on the place. This is my first time ever being locked up, (I'm 55 yrs. old) so I have no idea what to expect. We've been trying to phone the prison for days, always busy. You"re posts were very helpful!! Thanks very much
Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 PM

Default Thank you.Need help,

Thank you for this site. I have to turn in th 26th of Feb. You said you know some people that might help when I go in. You till got contcts?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 PM

Default Marion camp

Hi -
Yes, I still have contacts at Marion. Send me a private message and we'll connect and discuss.
Thanks!
Patrick
Old 02-14-2009, 01:59 AM

Hello Patrick. Thank you for the very helpful info you have already posted on here. What can you tell me about visitation at Marion camp? How long before the kids and I can visit him? Can I send him a subscription to our local weekly newspaper? I know I ask a lot but I'm new here and you seem to have the most info about Marion. My DH has never been in trouble before so this is our first time ever dealing with all this and I for one am scared. It's all so overwhelming right now. I have 13 days left with him and then he's property of the BOP for 36 months. :-( Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:04 AM

Hello Woodys Wife!
It will be OK - you will get thru this. I am happy to help you out all I can. Visitation at Marion Camp is actually pretty decent. It is on Friday evening from 5-8 and Sat/Sun from 8-3. It is in a big room. You can hug/kiss when you arrive/leave. You can sit close and hold hands the entire time. Most guards hardly pay attention in visiting. As long as you are on his Pre-Sentencing Report, you should be able to visit the very first weekend he is there.
Subscriptions - absolutely! Newspapers & magazines are all fine. Lots of guys got daily papers. The USA Today actually came on the current day - others are typically behind a couple of days.
Here's some good news - they have email at Marion now! You can email with him everyday if you want.
I have much more info I can share. Send me a private message and we'll connect offline.
Patrick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick_Indiana For This Useful Post:
BlkSoldier (01-09-2012), Woodys_Wife (02-25-2009)
Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 PM

Hey Patrick. Glad to see you made it through and are able to help some other folks out. Shoot me a private message so we can catch up. I hear you lost a bunch of weight and are doing well. The last of my crew is home now, so we'll have to rely on you for the most current info. Talk to you later...

T

Last edited by Laustintexas; 03-15-2009 at 12:20 PM..
Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 PM

Default USP Marion?

Does anyone know about living conditions at Marion now that it's been converted to a medium security facility? Are inmates still housed in cells or is it cubicle/dorm style? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 PM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,528 Times in 2,246 Posts

The living conditions are fine. Well, as fine as prison living can be. Each inmate is housed in a cell. Single man cells are housed in the part of the facility where there is no air conditioning. Two man cells have a.c.
They also are able to email, so you and your loved one will be able to take advantage of that.

Last edited by Miss_A; 04-10-2009 at 08:26 PM..
Old 04-10-2009, 10:41 PM

Thanks so much. Any other info would be appreciated.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:25 PM

I understand Marion has the SOMP program for its region. Does that mean most inmates are SO's? A large percentage?