Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,930 Times in 12,667 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk

Taft is a privately owned prison, so its visiting rules are different from bop owned federal prisons. Your boyfriend should have a copy of their rules about visitor's dress code, or you could call the prison and ask.

I have read where some people take another set of clothes, etc, with them so they can change if they are not allowed to visit in the clothes they are wearing. I imagine you could take any jewelry the guards objected to out to your car, and then try again.
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
catman66 (08-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 08:56 PM
gem45

Gloej23: hi the last 2 times that I've visited I've wore a small necklace and my engagement ring... and they have never told me nothing about it... I visit in the camp side so I don't know if its any different on the low side? Goodluck to u
The Following User Says Thank You to gem45 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-12-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 01:08 AM

Thank you ladies, for your post I went today and the camp was very laid back, it was nothing like I had imagined they are very lenient, and I did take an extra pair of clothes just incase luckily i had no need for them, next time I sure will be more relax and more comfy oh yeah my boyfriend is in the camp! xoxo ladies
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 PM
gem45

Oh that's good! I'm glad u had a great visit they are very laid back there thank God for that! if u ever have questions bout anything ill be happy to help.since we have bfs in the camp together we need all the help and support possible..
Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 AM

What is the best way to get to taft? From 101 north? Take 46 to the 5 or take the highway 33?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 PM
gem45

I would probably do 46to the5fwy.. I take the 5fwy all the way there...
Old 08-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
my father, age 73, just started serving an 8 month sentence at taft. I'm very worried for him, he's been there 5 days and we haven't heard from him yet. I wonder what he is doing with his days, is he eating and sleeping o.k...it is very hard to not have heard from him. Does anyone know if they can wear shorts in this heat? Any information on Taft would be appreciated.
HI MY NAME IS DANETTE I HAVE A HUSBAN IN TAFT WHERE YOU FATHER IS HOW LONG HAS HE BEEN THERE FOR? IT TOOK MY HUSBAND ALMOST 2 WEEKS BEFORE HE COULD CALL ME OR SEMD ME A LETTER. DO YOU KNOW OF ANYONE IN BAKERSFIELD IF I GIVE THEM GAS MONEY THAT I COULD GET A RIDE WITH THEM TO THE TAFT FEDERAL PRISON MY HUSBAND HAS VISITS ON MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW. MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS Personal contact information removed per policy. Please contact member via PM system.THANKS AGAIN DANETTE

Last edited by MiniMoose; 08-18-2013 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: Removed personal contact information per PTO policy.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.garcia View Post
hey anyone knows how long it takes to get approved to visit at taft ci
hi yes about 2 weeks
Old 08-17-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theluvofjon View Post
anyone have recent information on taft ci? My love just self surrendered today and i'm just curious as to how long i will have to wait to get my first phone call
hi it depends on when he can get a calling card fro the phone or when you set the phone up for him to be able to call you
Old 08-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

There used to be a small bus service that ran between Bakersfield & Taft every day. Here's the bus schedule for Westside Transit that does go there now, at least some days of the week.
http://www.co.kern.ca.us/roads/pdf/Westside_Express.pdf

It says to call a day ahead of your trip to guarantee a space on the van.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
my father, age 73, just started serving an 8 month sentence at taft. I'm very worried for him, he's been there 5 days and we haven't heard from him yet. I wonder what he is doing with his days, is he eating and sleeping o.k...it is very hard to not have heard from him. Does anyone know if they can wear shorts in this heat? Any information on taft would be appreciated.
hi i dont know if they can wear shorts at all i know that they have an uniform that they have to wear is he in the camp or the other siade
Old 07-11-2015, 06:18 PM

I spent 12 months in FCI TAFT camp from 2013-2014
The camp and the main are obviously very different but here is some info on the camp for those who may need it.

The camp visitation is fri-sun you need to be approved to visit. If your on the P.S.I. or not doesn't matter you must be approved by Taft before visiting. They are a private company, federal regulations are cherry pickedpicked, some followed some ignored.

Once arriving it will take 2 weeks before their pacts number is processed and they are allowed to make calls. There is no side stepping this, they're philosophy is, your not going anywhere soon so there is no rush.

There is a uniform, but It's mostly for the chow hall. I spent every day during summer in a tank top and shorts. Winter in sweat shirt and pants. Depending on what Sargent is on that quarter things are more or less strict.

It's a very easy place to do time. My six months in transit brought me through three there facilities. Taft was the most laid back.

If you or someone you know finds themselves going there for whatever reason, do yourself/them a favor, don't watch lockup and jail to prepare. I met many who did, and found themselves stressing over nothing. In 12 months I saw one fight. It's nothing to worry about.

Don't plan to attend school, if your less than 2 years there is nothing for you. They have no programs either, and no unicore.

So settle in, get a radio and book, find a routine and wait your time out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExConSean For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-12-2015), starbucksgirl (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 01:34 PM

Default anyone with lived one in CI Taft still?

I just found out yesterday my husband is being sent to Taft. not seeing any recent posts. anyone have someone there? any info on visiting? I would be coming from Washington, so best places to stay, closest airports? Husband has been in federal detention center in SeaTac for a year, this sounds like a better place other than its so far away.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Taft is about 40 miles from Bakersfield. There are a few (3?) motels in Taft, and there used to be a van service between Bakersfield & Taft. Renting a car at Bakersfield airport would be the most convenient way to visit, and the motel selection in Bakersfield is much better too.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:43 PM

Default Hello

Hi starbucksgirl, my husband is currently at Taft and went in on March 10th. I hope you have gotten to visit your husband so far. I go every other weekend and it's a very laid back place. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbucksgirl View Post
I just found out yesterday my husband is being sent to Taft. not seeing any recent posts. anyone have someone there? any info on visiting? I would be coming from Washington, so best places to stay, closest airports? Husband has been in federal detention center in SeaTac for a year, this sounds like a better place other than its so far away.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs.k042314 For This Useful Post:
559JLV (06-19-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 08:34 PM

Does anyone have a copy of the commissary list for Taft ? They don't have it on the BOP website like they do with most of the other prisons. I might be sentenced soon to either Taft or Lompoc soon I want to compare both. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:46 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. Since Taft is a privately owned prison where the bop sends inmates, their policies will be different from bop owned prisons. You can ask Taft for a copy of their commissary list, but its likely that you won't know until (if) you actually arrive there.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk. Since Taft is a privately owned prison where the bop sends inmates, their policies will be different from bop owned prisons. You can ask Taft for a copy of their commissary list, but its likely that you won't know until (if) you actually arrive there.
Thanks for the tip I am suppose to go this Monday to Taft College for a GED test (So I don't get points added later for lack of educational achievements), although I'm quite nervous about stopping by the Taft Camp, I might just do so and ask for a copy.
The Following User Says Thank You to FML For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:59 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Avoiding bop GED classes is very worthwhile. I hope you pass the test. I was never in that prison, but I did attend the College.

Did you know that Taft was initially named Moron? There is a movie, "The Best of Times" about pre-prison Taft that received great reviews.