Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

I live in Oregon and my husband was in Lompoc for years. We used to take the Amtrack down to visit, then rent a car. Cheaper than flying but takes more time. Nicer than driving though because you can read, watch the scenery (which is beautiful much of the way), watch a movie, eat, talk to people from other places, etc. Be ready for the train to be late sometimes though. I don't know how close to Taft it gets but if you have to rent a car anyway, it would work. The other trick if you fly and you're going to rent a car anyway is to fly into a major airport (like San Francisco or LA), not a smaller closer one, and drive from there. The flight is cheaper and the rental cars are less expensive. Z.

Last edited by Zelda50; 09-07-2008 at 09:32 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 PM

Good ideas. I will look into flying into cities other than Bakersfield. One big problem there is I am basically a small town girl and I don't know about driving through a big city. That is something I have never done, not even Seattle or Portland.

I checked out the rates on Amtrack and it would be fun to do, but it would also add 4 days to the visit and that would mean more time off work so I don't really see it as an option. But it is a lot cheaper.

Which ever way I go, I know I will only be able to afford a couple trips at the most. That sucks!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Entitled

make sure you get good directions...the roads to Taft can be a bit tricky!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Donation Award 

My husband was at Taft for a few months before he was transfered to Colorado. I went to visit him at Taft. It's a very nice place but I wouldn't recommend staying in Taft. It doesn't have any good hotels and the ones there are run down. The town is very noisy at night. Lots of cars that need mufflers. I flew into Bakersfield and rented a car. The drive from Bakersfield to Taft is about 45 miles or so and is tricky. The visiting room is small and the prices in the vending machines are higher so I would bring extra money. I stayed in Bakersfield the next time and it was much better. I stayed at a Super 8 right off the freeway and it was very nice and clean and cheaper than Taft. I hope this helps.

Tessie
Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Tessie:

Yes, this is just what I needed. Looking at the rooms in Taft, where most are in the $30 to $50 range worried me. I will look for the Super 8 in Bakersfield.

Now I am going to start worrying about the roads.

Thanks, Pam
Old 09-19-2008, 01:33 AM

will be a new taft camp wife soon
Old 09-20-2008, 10:01 AM

Well, I almost hate to say this, but welcome to the 'club'. My husband has only been there 3 months but if you have any questions, I will answer what I can.

When does your husband surrender?

Pam
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 PM

SS was today. We stopped and had breakfast in Maricopa..small diner where everybody seemed to know each other...the road into Taft was terribly long. The facility was located in the middle of nowhere..exactly what I expected. They were friendly in the main drop off area. We took our time getting there because when I had called the facility earlier, they said that turn in time at noon was only a reccomendation, but that legally, he could walk in at 11:59 p.m. They wouldn't advise doing so, though, because the later it is, the more likely the processors are gone for the day and he could end up in the hole or something like that. It still feels like I am just having a bad dream. This is such a terrible feeling!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Donation Award 

Hello, My Husband has been at Taft since March. I live about 3.5 hours away and just drive up and back home. The rooms in Taft are terrible. I had my car broken into once also. I've stayed at the super 8 in Bakersfield and it was decent. Is your Husband on the camp side?? Best of luck to you
Old 10-07-2008, 10:38 PM

jwjgirl, my husband is in the camp. (Is yours?) Mine has been there since June. I haven't been to visit yet. I keep talking about making the arrangements but keep putting it off. I know I should visit but...

fambab5, sorry to hear you had such a horrid day. I will never forget the day I had to watch my husband walk off towards his plane. I felt like someone was ripping my heart out. From my experience, the bad dream feeling doesn't go away. It just becomes the new normal. Nothing is as bad as that first day, that first week, though.

Thanks, both of you for posting. I was beginning to think my husband was doing his time with a bunch of bachelors.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Entitled

ponypamela....you should go, it would make you and him feel better...it is not bad like you may think....Taft is a decent place to visit

Old 10-20-2008, 02:02 PM

Okay, you convinced me! I have flight reservations, a hotel room (in Bakersfield) and a rental car all set up for Nov. 6th through the 10th. I am officially going for a visit. My husband doesn't even know yet, I will tell him when he calls tonight.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Entitled

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO I am so happy for you and him....I expect a full report when ya get back...I know you are going to be sooooooo glad ya saw him and he will be also! Congrats..have a safe trip!!

Old 11-08-2008, 02:39 PM
I MISS MY HUBBY CHITO!

Hi my name is dina my husband has been in taft for almost 7 months now i i been to visit twice last time i was there was this past weekend the times i have gone over i always stay in maricopa its like rigth next to taft the hotel its not all that but i get some sleep thats all it matters good luck!! On your trip long drive..
Old 02-17-2009, 11:30 PM

Unhappy Husband surrendering to Taft Prison Camp on March 12. Any advice?

Does anyone out there have information on Taft Prison Camp? My husband was sentenced to 4 months and he has to surrender on March 12. I am extremely nervous and worried about him. I'm afraid to be alone and this will be very hard for me. Does anyone have any information to set my mind at ease? I can barely find any information on the place. Is there any chance he could be released early just because its crowded and he has such a short sentence? What will the day of his release be like? Will he be released on a weekend if his 4 months are up on a Sunday? What is visitation like there? Are the guards relatively friendly or intimidating? What will he do there all day? Please, any information and advice would really help. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Going

Default yes

If you google taft you will find plenty of information on the camp. There is a blog , here is the link http://justinpaperny.com/121208-taft...l-prison-camp/. I think you will find this of interest.

I will be arriving there on March 16th myself. Dont worry if he has to go somewhere this is where he wants to be. I have met several people that have been there and all have said it is just fine. Let me know if you have any further questions. He will do all 4 months so dont plan on him getting out early. The time will fly this will be the easy part the hard part is now done. I sure he and you have been dealing with this for alot longer than 4 months.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goracer For This Useful Post:
mrskay (02-24-2009), tina408 (03-10-2009)
Old 02-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Entitled

My BF was there for awhile...the place isn't all that bad....there are much worse places...
Just be warned, when visiting getts too crowded...you will be asked to leave if you are one of the early ones....I used to drive the 3 1/2 hrs each way and still get kicked out early...just a little warning

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMyBaby For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM

When I was at the Lompoc camp, i met a bunch of guys who were from the Taft Camp. you can relax. i hear it is a cake walk. The only thing that sucks, they say, is the food. It is, from what I understand, the worst in the system, because it is not a US Federal Prison, but a Privately Held company/prison leased out to the Feds. They say that the commisary, however, is fantastic compared to a regular fed prison. There are no weights for working out, just cardio stuff. As for your worrying about him, you can relax. He will be fine. The 4 months will go by like a flash.

To answer a couple of questions.

1. If his release date is a weekend, he will be released on the previous Friday.
2. no he will not be released early. He got sentenced 4 months and he will do it, minus half way house time.
3. Cops aren't friendly, ever. Their job is to scream, yell and act like total jackasses. It doesnt matter, because he wont deal with them much. If he is smart, he will avoid them like they are the bubonic plague.

Hope this helps.

David
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of law and in the name of justice."-Montesquieu, 1742

Last edited by Divad; 02-24-2009 at 11:15 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Divad For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Donation Award 

My Husband is there if you have any further questions that haven't already been answered
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwjgirl For This Useful Post:
Duckfeeder (04-11-2009), tina408 (03-10-2009)
Old 03-10-2009, 10:25 PM

One more thing. When your man gets there. Have him ask for Michael Santos. He is a great guy who I knew when I was at Lompoc. He has a website dedicated to helping prisoners that his wife runs. http://michaelsantos.net. when your husband gets there, tell him that I (David Liberman) had him ask for him. He will help him out.

David
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of law and in the name of justice."-Montesquieu, 1742
Old 03-17-2009, 08:56 PM

I think that i am headed to taft any info would be great..
Old 04-06-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay View Post
Does anyone out there have information on Taft Prison Camp? My husband was sentenced to 4 months and he has to surrender on March 12. I am extremely nervous and worried about him. I'm afraid to be alone and this will be very hard for me. Does anyone have any information to set my mind at ease? I can barely find any information on the place. Is there any chance he could be released early just because its crowded and he has such a short sentence? What will the day of his release be like? Will he be released on a weekend if his 4 months are up on a Sunday? What is visitation like there? Are the guards relatively friendly or intimidating? What will he do there all day? Please, any information and advice would really help. Thanks.
Hello there I too are going to taft june 3rd any tips and what did your husband do I have 4 kids. A newborn, 10, 6, and 4 any tips what should I do and is he in camp side.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:47 AM

Hello,
I am going to taft on june 3rd anybody know anyone there now.Any tips for me or my wife and kids?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjgirl View Post
My Husband is there if you have any further questions that haven't already been answered
Hi I have 4 young children and my wife is having a huge issue with all this I am going to Taft is there anything I should know about this place that will ease her mind. And is your husband at the camp? If so can you tell him I am coming there maybe I could make a friend before I get there. I am 34 charged with bank fraud long story on that. Anyway 33 months is my sentence. Thank you
Old 04-06-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingforafew View Post
I think that i am headed to taft any info would be great..
Hello there I just read your blog and
I am going to Taft june 3rd. Did you get a letter yet as too where?? And when. I am 34 with 4 kids and live in Idaho. Let me know.