Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:10 AM

Looking for information for my son. Is Loretto a low and a camp or just a camp? Do they have AC, decent food, gym, outside for visiting, decent jobs, etc. Any info would be appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to debo7676 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-11-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,927 Times in 12,665 Posts

No air conditioning except for the library, chapel and the COs offices. FCI Low security and a minimum security camp too. They have a weight pile (only older bop prisons have weights) a full size gym, and a great library. The craft shop is exceptional, with many options. bop food is decent.

He will be given a prison job, but won't earn much spending money at 12 cents/hour or "maintenance pay" of $5.25 a month. They have/or had? a unicor factory where they made wiring harnesses for military planes, but jobs were limited to inmates who had worked at unicor previously.

Loretto used to be a Catholic Monastery, so the chapel even has stained glass windows. A room for 2 or 3 Monks now holds 8 inmates. Most of the staff had been there for many years, ever since the bop bought the place, but at least some of them have retired, which is a very positive thing.

No microwaves, popcorn is contraband, and coffee from the regular hot water faucet is brutal. As is the case in many bop prisons, the warden makes all of the difference in inmate conditions. The SHU is usually overflowing, at least under the staff that was there when I was.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Free, but not really free

+1 to what FBOP said.

I was previously a resident of FCI Loretto, until 3/2015.

To add what he said, whether he goes to the FCI or FPC, it will be easy for him there, even if he is an SO (not saying that he is). The population is nearly evenly divided in terms of race and most people there "do their own thing" to pass the time.

When I left, the UNICOR program was disbanded and the population was being reduced. When I came in in 12/2013, there was about 1100 people. Now there's about 800 people there.

There's three housing units, North, Central, and South. Like FBOP said, it used to be a Catholic seminary, so the N/S units don't look so "prison-y", but Central was built after the BOP leased it so that has a prison feel to it.

There used to be visiting outside at the FCI, but they got rid of it because contraband used to be thrown into the buildings from the outdoor visiting area (that's what a CO told me; I don't know how much of that I believe).

Summertime is the worst time there because of the lack of central air. When I left, they were putting it in, but the Central unit will never have it, so if your son will be in that unit, expect days of nonstop sweating in the summer.

He has to find a job there or risk working in the 4AM shift at the mess hall. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't make everyone start in the dish room, haha.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FedDownSouth For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (11-19-2016), bookwatch (07-06-2018), do97jdl (12-23-2017)
Old 11-11-2016, 08:44 PM

Thank you both of you! Does not sound very good...I will pass along these postings to my son.
fbopnomore (11-12-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 10:00 AM

happy new year all... my husband is going to fci loretto for the new year, coming from elkton, can anyone compare the two..??? elkton was a shit hole. hoping this is the better of the two... any info please pass forward.. ie. visits, microwaves , weights, food, staff, general population , hotels in area, and just how it is overall compared to otisville, fort dix, yazoo , gilmer and west virginia since we have already visited those! thanks !!
Old 12-31-2016, 10:49 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Yes for weights, no for microwaves, which was awful. Tapwater coffee and contraband popcorn. I disliked Loretto more than any other bop prison I was in, but hopefully the warden has changed, and the worst of the long time staff members have retired by now.

Loretto is located on the top of a mountain, but hotels in Altoona are close enough for visits. Ebensburg too, but more folks seemed to stay in Altoona. Check "Hotels near Saint Francis University, 117 Evergreen Drive, Loretto, PA 15940"
Old 01-10-2017, 07:55 AM

Default Also looking for info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBM View Post
happy new year all... my husband is going to fci loretto for the new year, coming from elkton, can anyone compare the two..??? elkton was a shit hole. hoping this is the better of the two... any info please pass forward.. ie. visits, microwaves , weights, food, staff, general population , hotels in area, and just how it is overall compared to otisville, fort dix, yazoo , gilmer and west virginia since we have already visited those! thanks !!
My son was also just assigned there. I am sure it will be a couple of weeks yet until he arrives. If your husband is already there could you post what you do know already? I would appreciate any input to pass along to my son.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:04 PM

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate everyone who took the time to post about Loretto on this site. My boyfriend was sent there 3 weeks ago and it really helped me to be able to read all the information.
The Following User Says Thank You to afmama For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-23-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 09:49 AM

My son is there and it's much different than the medium security he came from. He is in the low (not sure what building). The building he is in has dorms, 4 & 6 man. First he was in a two-room 6 man dorm and then changed to a four-man dorm. No doors on the rooms and bathroom at the end of the hall. The food is ok, not as good as Petersburg. He will have no AC here unlike Petersburg where everything had AC.
The visiting room is a little strange. Just lined up plastic chairs, no little tables to set down your food or drinks. But it's pretty laid back. They do tell you where to sit and my son came in pretty quick after we arrived.
I did have to take my watch back to my car - they are not allowed there. Other than that they didn't seem to picky about anything else. I did not see anyone told they couldn't wear an article of clothing or the color of it. I saw this constantly at Petersburg. But again Mediums are much more strict than the lower securities.
Visiting first time I did not see a street sign so we went past the street even though the GPS was telling us to turn. They do not let you in until 8:15 am and you show and keep your license with you. At the medium they held it until you were leaving. So a lot of differences if you coming from a medium to low.
fbopnomore (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Petersburg Medium is nicely air conditioned. Petersburg Low is not, except for the library, chapel and the CO's offices.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:19 PM

My son has been at FCI Loretto for a few years. In the past month they have installed the AC units on the roof, and claim it will be later this summer before they are functional. Crafts options have decreased - as well as the 'classes' available. Staff, for the most part are OK. The latest restrictions I've seen are men being denied entry for having khaki pants and women wearing skirts (unless religiously required). As previously reported, UNICOR was eliminated several years ago. The weight room is pretty 'controlled' by a specific group of inmates and entry is only allowed to someone with 'clean' paper, i.e. no SO's. They started wiffle ball this summer...
Old 07-02-2017, 12:24 AM

Thanked 1,461 Times in 798 Posts

>I disliked Loretto more than any other bop prison I was in, but hopefully the warden has changed, and the worst of the long time staff members have retired by now.

Those would be the ones Kiriakou wrote about? He got out in 2015, so there's been plenty of time for it to change.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
>I disliked Loretto more than any other bop prison I was in, but hopefully the warden has changed, and the worst of the long time staff members have retired by now.

Those would be the ones Kiriakou wrote about? He got out in 2015, so there's been plenty of time for it to change.
I was in there with him, and he left before they changed the warden. Even so, I believe the warden (official title: Superintendent) changed twice and when I left, the first order of business was to be more conservative with granting Second Chance Act requests (extended HWH time), and they were considering creating a residential SO program as well since the population of SOs were being increased. They also considered giving them their own housing unit, much to the dismay of the inmates as they claimed it would make them an "easy target".
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FedDownSouth For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (07-04-2018), do97jdl (12-23-2017), fbopnomore (07-02-2017), Minor activist (07-02-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post

Kiriakou left on 3 February 2015. I know as I was in the same unit with him (Central 1). He missed out on the great "NOROVIRUS" contamination of March 2015. Bully for him. That was a miserable 2 weeks of lockdown, especially being one of the 250+ inmates that came down with that nasty stuff. Kiriakou also missed out on the asshole warden that came through after him. He seemed to take out his frustrations on the population as it was rumored that he didn't get the job as head warden back at his previous spot in Eastern PA.

As I was only at Loretto for my stretch, I have nothing to compare the commissary to. However, from everyone else that came through and from commissary sheets I saw from other institutions, Loretto's commissary is the worst of the bunch. Bunch of miserable hill-jacks that ran that place...and I'm talking about the CO's. They treated the population with contempt. I hope it has changed. Commissary is located outside between the walkway to the outside rec yard.

The biggest positive change that I saw there was the declination of the population. It was over 1400 when I got there and was under 900 when I left. Huge difference. It was massively over-crowded in my early days there.

Regarding air conditioning, yes, they were in the process of installing units on the roof tops when I left; however, from people I knew in HVAC, and I knew quite a few, it sounded like it would be 2018 at the earliest before they had the resources in place to get air conditioning up-and-running.

Regarding staff, there are a few decent individuals there. Not going to name them here for obvious reasons. Most of the staff is indifferent (just doing there time), but some are actively assholes of the 1st order. I hope things improve there for the sake of friends I left behind there. Especially commissary and the crafts area, which was being cut-back at the time of my leaving.

The library is small and usually crowded, but there's a reasonable collection there. There are language CDs in Russian, French, Spanish, and a few others to work over. If anyone is interested in learning Bridge, there's a nice little community of bridge players there. I learned the game there, and helped pass away the time. Even have real Bridge tournaments there. Classes run by inmates were being cut back at the time I left, but I hope that isn't the case now.

There's a run/walk track around the yard that is 1/3 mile around, and it is a real 1/3 mile as I walked it off with a measuring wheel. Great place to spend the hours during late spring and through the summer and early fall.

Winters can be rough and start early...sometimes. Winter of 2013-2014 was rough and long with snow from early November to late March. Stood outside in -10 degree Fahrenheit temps for an hour in order to get commissary one morning!!! However, I think the current system now is preventing inmates from traveling outside when its below 20 F. Imagine that!

Anyway, if anyone else has any questions or comments, feel free to chime in.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (07-04-2018), do97jdl (12-23-2017), fbopnomore (11-23-2017), Minor activist (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 01:48 AM

One other thing I think I should mention about Loretto. HORRIBLE HEALTHCARE, or should I say, DEATH CARE. Same with dental. If your loved one has not gotten to Loretto as yet, GET THEM THE CARE NOW!!! They have 4 PAs (physician's assistants) there, and one in particular, Lady Death, is notoriously bad. I was fortunate to have the guy I had - the least bad of the bunch. I new of a number of guys there that came down with cancer and had to be transfered out of there after many months of waiting. Cancer treatment is NOT available there!!!

If you have teeth that need addressing...GET IT DONE NOW!!! 3-year wait on any "elective" fillings. If you need a tooth to be pulled, they'll make you wait till its infected, then give you antibiotics, then once your no longer infected, then they'll pull it.

EVERY visit to medical outside of required yearly stuff was $2.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (07-06-2018), do97jdl (12-23-2017), fbopnomore (11-23-2017), FedDownSouth (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

A young prisoner collapsed on the softball field. A call was made to "medical" by a CO. At least 15 minutes later, the only medical person on duty, a paramedic, arrived in no hurry, and with no medical equipment of any kind and declared "carry him to the hospital". The inmate, in his early 30s, had gone on sick call Friday, but was told "come back Monday" by a PA who absolutely hated inmates, he died on Sunday.

At his memorial service, the Chaplain said "he died in the hospital". I said if he had been in a hospital, he would still be alive. Loretto was awful.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1927 View Post
Kiriakou left on 3 February 2015.
Anyway, if anyone else has any questions or comments, feel free to chime in.
I was there from '13-'15. I never got around to joining the bridge group, but one of the organizers gave me a how-to book on the game.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
A young prisoner collapsed on the softball field. A call was made to "medical" by a CO. At least 15 minutes later, the only medical person on duty, a paramedic, arrived in no hurry, and with no medical equipment of any kind and declared "carry him to the hospital". The inmate, in his early 30s, had gone on sick call Friday, but was told "come back Monday" by a PA who absolutely hated inmates, he died on Sunday.

At his memorial service, the Chaplain said "he died in the hospital". I said if he had been in a hospital, he would still be alive. Loretto was awful.
Must've been before my time, but it doesn't surprise me given other things I heard and experienced there. I know that Michael Douglas' son was in Central One there as well, and he had some medical issues that weren't addressed properly there.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
One other thing I think I should mention about Loretto. HORRIBLE HEALTHCARE, or should I say, DEATH CARE. Same with dental. If your loved one has not gotten to Loretto as yet, GET THEM THE CARE NOW!!! They have 4 PAs (physician's assistants) there, and one in particular, Lady Death, is notoriously bad. I was fortunate to have the guy I had - the least bad of the bunch. I new of a number of guys there that came down with cancer and had to be transfered out of there after many months of waiting. Cancer treatment is NOT available there!!!

If you have teeth that need addressing...GET IT DONE NOW!!! 3-year wait on any "elective" fillings. If you need a tooth to be pulled, they'll make you wait till its infected, then give you antibiotics, then once your no longer infected, then they'll pull it.

EVERY visit to medical outside of required yearly stuff was $2.
Were you there then Frank Russo was there? They ended up transferring him to Devens. He was in the same cube with John in C1.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:47 PM

Thanked 1,461 Times in 798 Posts

I thought I remembered reading about Cameron Douglas.

Quote:
His personal psychiatrist told her[his lawyer] he suffered from 'co-morbid depression' and 'anxiety disorders,' but doctors had decided he would not be able to take Xanax.
It was after she saw him drenched in sweat and covered in hives that she first brought him pills, claiming she smuggled two into the MCC in her back pocket at their next meeting.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-love-him.html

It's easy to believe that Loretto was as bad as the MCC for neglect.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedDownSouth View Post
Were you there then Frank Russo was there? They ended up transferring him to Devens. He was in the same cube with John in C1.

Yes, I remember Frank well. Used to work up in the library behind the counter. I see there are two Frank Russo's located at Devens at present. One is 62, the other 67. I believe he's 67 based on an article out of Cleveland I just read. Boy, he seemed a lot older than that as his condition was NOT good. He's still alive, though, which is something he definitely would not have been had he stayed at Loretto another year. They would've made sure he was dead through neglect!
Old 11-24-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, I remember Frank well. Used to work up in the library behind the counter. I see there are two Frank Russo's located at Devens at present. One is 62, the other 67. I believe he's 67 based on an article out of Cleveland I just read. Boy, he seemed a lot older than that as his condition was NOT good. He's still alive, though, which is something he definitely would not have been had he stayed at Loretto another year. They would've made sure he was dead through neglect!
Before I got transferred to Devens, I used to visit him in the library (I used to be a tutor until they got rid of a teacher the staff absolutely hated) and one side of his face began to droop. Good thing they ended up transferring him. He looked a TON healthier when I saw him there.

These days, he's still awaiting a sentence reduction. He's afraid to face the reality that he likely won't get it and will be in his mid-80's when he gets out.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:19 PM

Glad to hear he's doing much better. I saw his out date on BOP.gov...WOW.

I think I know of the staff member you are referring to regarding the library? A woman? If so, I know which one and why.

Loretto really is a hole in the earth. Too bad given such beautiful countryside around it, but the hill-jacks that staff that facility really are bad. Its the major employer in Cambria County, however, so I don't see that changing much. Lots of family members that staff there. Inbreeding? Who knows. Glad to be out of there.
The Following User Says Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear he's doing much better. I saw his out date on BOP.gov...WOW.

I think I know of the staff member you are referring to regarding the library? A woman? If so, I know which one and why.

Loretto really is a hole in the earth. Too bad given such beautiful countryside around it, but the hill-jacks that staff that facility really are bad. Its the major employer in Cambria County, however, so I don't see that changing much. Lots of family members that staff there. Inbreeding? Who knows. Glad to be out of there.

I was referring to a bald gentleman...very much the military guy. The woman, if it's who I'm thinking of went off on tangents to me a few times.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:21 PM

Yeah, I remember the bald guy. No loss there . The woman was no loss, either. They've got a very good one there now that actually cares and I hope stays there for the benefit of the prisoners there (not, I don't use the term inmate...I and others were PRISONERS).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (07-06-2018), fbopnomore (11-25-2017)