Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,930 Times in 12,667 Posts

I'm glad to hear that things have improved at Loretto. Different wardens can make a huge difference in the conditions for the inmates. The library there has always been awesome, rec and craft shop too.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-lana View Post
Does anyone know anything about FCI Loretto. My boyfriend is headed there for 3 years and I can't seem to find out any information on it. He is being held in holdover in USP Lewisburg which scares me, but they said he should not be there that long. Please if you have any information on Loretto it would help.

x-lana

If you find anything out please let me know. My brother was just transfered there on Friday. He was at Canaan for two weeks then they took him there. I have not heard from him since they took him from Alexandria on May 6. Any info on Loretto would be appreciate.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharimel View Post
My brother is self reporting to Loretto this week....can anyone give me any information on the conditions there? Never made a mistake in his life and not even guilty but got 72 months. I just want to know what type of place he will be in.

Just wondering how it went for your brother. My brother was just sent to Loretto for 84 months. How long did your brother end up serving. It seem like I am in the same situation. Please any info you have is helpful!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 PM

I am just clearing up what you said. Your husband was sentenced to 5 months and he applied for Halfway house. Was he successful?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 PM

OK. Some of these posts are pretty old. The post about different wardens is very true. Anyone know if they have AC in the FCI?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

No AC in the housing units, just CO offices and the library. No personal fans permitted either.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Loretto

If you need info, let me know. I visit there once a month from Detroit, MI. The cheapest hotels are in Altoona, PA (about 20 min away) and are about $45 a night. Its right near a mall and a dozen places to eat.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:51 PM

Default No ac

They only have AC in the visiting room. The inmates sweat their asses off with only a miniature fan they can buy to keep cool.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:53 PM

Default Loretto once a month

I come from Detroit and go there once a month. Let me know if you want to go or need help. I drive through Toledo to get there.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Default Loretto

If you stay in Altoona, there is a mall right across from the hotel with a slide and ball pit that is free. They also have a movie theater and arcade in the area. Its about 20 min from the prison and the hotel room at the motel 6 are about $45. Thats where I stay once a month when I go. They also have an outdoor pool.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 PM

Default Sending cards/letters

Hi all,

Was looking if anyone could tell me more about sending cards/letters and other things to an inmate at Loretto.

Can they contain photos (obviously decent in nature)?
Can you send news paper articles and or print out web articles?
Magazines (decent in nature)?
Books? (hard or soft cover)?

Thanks for any help/ideas/thoughts... all are appreciated!!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Loretto is a FCI Low and a camp. When I was there, all of the things you listed were OK to send to an inmate. I forget if it was one of the places that permitted paperback books to be sent directly from home, but you can definitely have them sent from an online bookstore as long as they are shipped by US Mail. Magazines usually must come from the publisher. He can ask at the mailroom during their open house hours. I received both magazine & newspaper subscriptions when I was there.

It's a good idea to put his name and ID# on any enclosures in case they are separated in the mail room.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Loretto is a FCI Low and a camp. When I was there, all of the things you listed were OK to send to an inmate. I forget if it was one of the places that permitted paperback books to be sent directly from home, but you can definitely have them sent from an online bookstore as long as they are shipped by US Mail. Magazines usually must come from the publisher. He can ask at the mailroom during their open house hours. I received both magazine & newspaper subscriptions when I was there.

It's a good idea to put his name and ID# on any enclosures in case they are separated in the mail room.
Thanks for the response! by US Mail do you mean USPS?

and one other question? is there a time period from when you first enter that you cannot receive mail? I know there is normally a delay on an inmate sending mail after they first enter.

Also, I believe they have an email system now, was that in place when you were there? if so did you use it? was it easy to use/expensive?

thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to CT6423 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Yes, USPS but not UPS or FedEx, etc. There is no waiting period to receive or send mail. It may take some time for him to acquire envelopes, stamps, whatever. They are sold in the commissary, or he may be able to borrow some from another inmate before he is allowed to shop.

Email was just starting, and I never got to use it, but it costs 5 cents/min to use the system to either read, or send emails. He will have to send you a corrlinks invitation email, and after you reply to it, you guys will be able to use the email system. Some folks have said that their invitations went to spam rather than to their inboxes, so be sure to check there too.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, USPS but not UPS or FedEx, etc. There is no waiting period to receive or send mail. It may take some time for him to acquire envelopes, stamps, whatever. They are sold in the commissary, or he may be able to borrow some from another inmate before he is allowed to shop.

Email was just starting, and I never got to use it, but it costs 5 cents/min to use the system to either read, or send emails. He will have to send you a corrlinks invitation email, and after you reply to it, you guys will be able to use the email system. Some folks have said that their invitations went to spam rather than to their inboxes, so be sure to check there too.
Okay awesome! Thanks!

And thats what I read about the email. It seems kind of nice, and I mean the cost isn't too much of a concern, it would be more of a concern of its intertwined with commissary and have a limit. But, I assume he will get told all of that!

Another question: Did you receive magazines there? did a lot of inmates receive? and did there seem to be any big hits?

He likes the news and keeping up with some of that stuff so I was thinking getting Time Magazine sent to him, but was looking for another magazine that was a bit more fun... He never got magazines before so I am a bit lost. I was thinking like a Popular Mechanics or Science as he is into some of that stuff.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Yes there were many magazine subscriptions received by inmates. Time was one of the ones I got for years. The bop is paranoid about any magazines that contain information about guns, explosives etc., so I don't know what they would decide about the other two you mentioned. The magazine companies will know if their publications are censored by the bop, probably not, but those things are not always easy to determine ahead of time.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Yes there were many magazine subscriptions received by inmates. Time was one of the ones I got for years. The bop is paranoid about any magazines that contain information about guns, explosives etc., so I don't know what they would decide about the other two you mentioned. The magazine companies will know if their publications are censored by the bop, probably not, but those things are not always easy to determine ahead of time.
I tried calling the FCI to ask about the other two but it would just ring and ring and ring.

I had to call TIME so that I could get the address right on the magazine. So after spending 20minutes on the phone I think it is very close to how it shays it should be on the BOP website. They couldn't include one line, but I think it has the most important information like his name and register number. I'm just really afraid that it wont go through beacuse it is not exactly as it is on the BOP website.

They say it should be:

INMATE NAME & REGISTER NUMBER
FCI LORETTO
FEDERAL CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION
P.O. BOX 1000
LORETTO, PA 15940

But i could only get it to be:

INMATE NAME & REGISTER NUMBER
FCI LORETTO
P.O. BOX 1000
LORETTO, PA 15940

Do you think that will be okay?
The Following User Says Thank You to CT6423 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Yes, I think he will receive the magazine without any problems.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:16 PM

Hello All. First I hope this post finds everyone doing well and hanging in there.

I always get an attitude when I see all the various dollar charges and costs of the prison industrial complex in this country's Fed Inmate system, charged against an inmates account. All these private companies totally ripping off people that can least afford it. Its disgraceful to say the least.

So here is my question: I can add $$ to my inmates account every month from which he is charged to make phone calls or send emails (I understand that emails are also charged by the minute). Are there any better phone deals to be had?? As I write this I see on the left side margin on this website an ad for "Cheap Jail Calls" Unlimited Jail calls for $7.25/month. I believe in the adage: If its too good to be true then...." Does anyone know of any cheaper phone plans than what the private company used by BOP charges inmates to make a call if they are paying for it through their own prison account?

Thanks. Jerry
Old 11-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Hi, yes you can add money to his inmate account whenever you want to. He can use it for commissary purchase, prepaid phone minutes and email charges. WU is fastest, but also the most expensive. US Postal money orders mailed to the lock box in Iowa are available as soon as they are posted, all other MOs are held for 15 days.
http://www.bop.gov/inmate_programs/money.jsp

Anything the bop decides is "call forwarding" is forbidden (and naturally they won't say what that is) which can result in the loss of all phone use for many months. What is definitely OK is to get a cellphone with a number that is a local call from Loretto. Local calls cost 6 cents/min, all others cost 23 cents/min. Of course you will have to add the cost of the phone to decide if that would save you money or not. Since Loretto is on the top of a mountain, surrounded by cornfields, so there are probably very few local numbers (area code & prefix) available.

Email access, to send or receive/read them costs 5 cents/min while on the computer.

If he is enrolled in the inmate financial responsibility program for fines, restitution or the mandatory $100.00 per count assessment, that money is deducted from his inmate account, so it is possible that you might be paying that too. He will know when, and how much will be taken for the IFRP, but the minimum payment is $25.00 every 3 months. After awhile, the amount is adjusted by the bop counselor based on the amount of money that has been available in his inmate account. Mine changed to $75.00 a month.
http://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5380_008.pdf

Last edited by fbopnomore; 11-14-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Thumbs up My husband is at fci loretto

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-lana View Post
does anyone know anything about fci loretto. My boyfriend is headed there for 3 years and i can't seem to find out any information on it. He is being held in holdover in usp lewisburg which scares me, but they said he should not be there that long. Please if you have any information on loretto it would help.

X-lana

hello, my husband is there and has been for almost 2yrs. It's an ok place...better than most. He is now in the camp and thats like a halfway house almost only one gaurd and they can be outdoors most of the day when weather is nice. So i hope this brings some comfort to you. He'll be just fine...
The Following User Says Thank You to kaleemahaziz For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-15-2013)
Old 02-01-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeline View Post
My husband just got there last Tuesday!!!! I have not heard from him just yet!!! I just put money on his books!!!! The clergy from the chapel called me to let me know that he was ok!!!!!
Did you call there or did they just happen to call you? My fiancé should be there any day!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:58 PM

My son has been there a couple of months, and he is doing fine. He says it's a lot better than the others he's been roaming for the last two years. He said it won't be hard to keep his nose clean there. Our visits have been nice - 8:15 - 2:15. He said the food isn't terrible - they even got pizza and wings on Super Bowl Sunday. He doesn't stay in his Unit much during the day - goes to the Library, Gym or Card Room. He's taking a few classes taught by other inmates and is enjoying (most) of them. It seems like an alright place.
The Following User Says Thank You to CeeCeeJay For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-09-2014)
Old 02-01-2015, 05:29 PM

Default detroit to loretto

Hello does anyone travel to FCI Loretto if so looking to go soon just didn't want to do it alone first time going to a FCI and the directions are not very helpful
The Following User Says Thank You to apearson123brat For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I hope you find someone to go to the visit with you. Altoona is the closest city for hotel accommodations. Here is the google map page directions to the prison from Altoona. Snow can be a problem in the winter, Loretto is on a mountain.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Alto...d40.497481!5i1