Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 PM

Anybody got love ones in Loretto, Pa
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 PM

Default Thank You

I wanted to say thank you for replying back to me. Yes, we have spoken since then. Its hard having him away but i will make the best out of this situation. I live here in NJ and so the phone calls are expensive. I'm hoping to see him once a month if possible. thank you again.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 AM

Default first visit

I'm visiting my friend for the first time ever he's in loretto pa can someone tell me what to expect how's the visits what to wear I need to know everything lol I'm coming in from toledo ohio I know it takes 5hrs to get to loretto but does anyone know a good hotel close to the prison any imfo would be great thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,648 Times in 13,033 Posts

Here is a link to the Loretto Visiting rules
http://www.bop.gov/locations/institu...isit_hours.pdf

Altoona is about 20 miles from the prison (a former Monastery) and there are many hotels/motels available there. Search hotels Altoona PA to find them.

If you want to have photos taken, tell your LO to purchase photo tickets at the commissary and bring them with him to the visit. It is a large visiting room, with tables and vending machines.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Til' Death...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeline View Post
How long was it before he was able to call you!!!!!

It didn't take too terribly long until he was able to call. I kept a track on him from the BOP inmate locator. So I would check that everyday and then call that prison to bug them until they would tell me if that was a permanent stay or a pass through.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Til' Death...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emasuz34 View Post
I'm visiting my friend for the first time ever he's in loretto pa can someone tell me what to expect how's the visits what to wear I need to know everything lol I'm coming in from toledo ohio I know it takes 5hrs to get to loretto but does anyone know a good hotel close to the prison any imfo would be great thanks

I stay 8 hours from Loretto. We always stay at the comfort inn in Ebensburg, PA. It is nice for a stay of a few days. It has a pool too. The hotel is even roughly 10 minutes from the prison too. Altoona is about a 30 minute drive so that was too far for us, especially when you want to be at the prison early in the morning and not have to rush to get up and get ready. Plan out your outfits carefully. No open toe shoes, shorts, sleeveless shirts, etc. Since it is winter, I doubt you'd wear shorts Don't forget no wire in the bra! During several visits it has gotten pretty warm in the room so I suggest to wear a light shirt and not layer up. I would wear either a tee or quarter sleeve shirt with a heavy coat. They won't allow you to take your scarfs or hats inside so just leave them in the car.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 PM

My fiance is going to Loretto soon. Does anyone know if they have weights or a weight room or if they are giving out any extra HWH?

Thanks for any info...
Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Yes Loretto does have weights. No idea about the HWH time though.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I wanted to say thank you for replying back to me. Yes, we have spoken since then. Its hard having him away but i will make the best out of this situation. I live here in NJ and so the phone calls are expensive. I'm hoping to see him once a month if possible. thank you again.
you should look into Google Voice as a phone option. our phone bill went down from about 70/month to 16/month with google voice.. good luck..
Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,206 Times in 2,544 Posts

Reminder: Any kind of call forwarding, which includes Google Voice, is frowned upon by the BOP. If call forwarding is used and discovered, it could be cause for losing phone privileges.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 PM

My husband was told he has a year of eyesight left because he is a diabetic and th neves in the eye are damaged. He asked the doctor to give him eye drops to help relieve some of the pressure and they told him to wait about a month. This is crazy!!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Yes it is. The ophthalmologist is (or at least was when I was there) an outside doctor who comes in every so often. Hopefully the doctor will be a MD rather than just an optometrist.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Til' Death...

Quote:
My husband was told he has a year of eyesight left because he is a diabetic and th neves in the eye are damaged. He asked the doctor to give him eye drops to help relieve some of the pressure and they told him to wait about a month. This is crazy!!

My husband had his eyes checked not too long ago and was told he had a cataract in one of his eyes and they weren't planning on doing anything about it! They pretty much told him that he'd be ok because he had another eye that worked fine.
fbopnomore (03-02-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM

Red face magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbi View Post
Does anyone know if I can order a magazine subscription from Amazon 4 my friend in Loretto? I want to get him something. His birthday is today.
I now it has to come directly from a publishing house but don't know if there's restrictions on which one's u can order from. Shelbi
you can order magazines from amazon and send to him. if he is going to the camp where my husband is you can mail directly from home. i buy some and to him a couple of times a week. hope this helps
Old 03-01-2013, 04:07 PM

Default hwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldanow View Post
Hi, Loretto people, question? I'm being told that PA is "routinely" giving 6 months halfway house time, even to those with fairly short sentences, to those to whom they give any. My husband is now in Ohio, and is talking about trying to get transferred to PA or NJ (same circuit) for this reason. Are your loved ones' teams talking about hwh for them, or do they know of others who have gotten 6 months? In Ohio, no one seems to have gotten anywhere near that (10%, at most).
my husband is there for 5 months and he was told he could apply for a hwh. he put his application in 2 weeks ago.they told him it coud take 4-6 weeks.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:17 PM

Default new inmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharimel View Post
My brother is self reporting to Loretto this week....can anyone give me any information on the conditions there? Never made a mistake in his life and not even guilty but got 72 months. I just want to know what type of place he will be in.
my husband has been ther since jan.30. he said the food is awful. he has lost 15 pounds.they just got a new warden and alot of new rules.he is at the camp.they r putting in new showers, so limited showers. the other day all the toilets were broken.they had a lockdown. everybody had 2 sit in the rec room for 4 hours. they ended up finging some handguns and i-phones both not allowed!i am going this w/end for the first time. not sure what to expect. alot of cliques ther. since he was the new guy hard to find a seat to sit and watch tv.not a great place unfortunately
Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 AM

My husband has a 18month sentence with a release date in March of 2014, I wanted to know how much halfway house time will he get?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 AM

Smile Going for my first visit to Loretto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimemo View Post
my husband has been ther since jan.30. he said the food is awful. he has lost 15 pounds.they just got a new warden and alot of new rules.he is at the camp.they r putting in new showers, so limited showers. the other day all the toilets were broken.they had a lockdown. everybody had 2 sit in the rec room for 4 hours. they ended up finging some handguns and i-phones both not allowed!i am going this w/end for the first time. not sure what to expect. alot of cliques ther. since he was the new guy hard to find a seat to sit and watch tv.not a great place unfortunately

Hi I'm going for my first visit to Loretto this weekend, needless to say I'm nervous, the butterflies are driving me crazy, I can't sleep or eat, lol i'am sure I'll get through it, I wanted to know how your visit went, and do you have any advice thank you
Old 04-14-2013, 03:29 PM

I went to see my husband for the first time in 4 1/2 months. I live in north jersey and it was a 5 1/2 hr drive. The kids and I was so happy to see him. We miss him dearly. My 10yr old son started crying when we left. The staff was very nice, we didn't have any delays in seeing him. I arrived there at 9:30 but couldn't see him until 10:15. We purchased food for him from the vending machines which were good compared to the food they eat in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to wifeline For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM

I sound out some people with the 18months sentences were granted half way house time as early as september and october, wanted to know if this is due to the overcrowding and federal sequestor? I know Eric Holder provided additional funds for the BOP but my understanding that this is just temporary. My husband tells me that there were several inmates who were granted the halfway house time as early as September that were due to be released in February of 2014.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 PM

Default Current info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Loretto was a Catholic Monistary when the BOP bought it. Now it's a low and a camp. A room that used to house 4 Monks now holds 8 prisoners, which is true overcrowding, but it also has probably the only chapel in prisondom with stained glass windows ! There is almost no air conditioning and the administration wouldn't permit fans in the rooms, which was extremely nasty in the summer.

One of my best days in the BOP was when I was able to get into a program that allowed me to leave Loretto.
I have a close friend that is considering transferring from Butner NC, and Loretto is one of his options. Have the conditions changed much since this post?
Thanks.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Sorry, I have no idea. I was there over 8 years ago, and it was definitely the low prison from hell, but things can change when wardens do. Also many of the inbred staff members who were there from the time when the bop bought the place from the Catholic church were nearing retirement age, so the prison may even have more than just one minority CO working there now.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Til' Death...

So I am traveling to Loretto to visit my husband for fathers day. I am taking our three children and I cant seem to find anything FREE or cheap to do after the visits to keep them occupied. If anyone knows anything can you please send me a private message letting me know any ideas. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Altoona is the closest city to Loretto, which sits on the top of a mountain in a large corn field. Here is what Wikipedia says about the available attractions in Altoona.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altoona,_Pennsylvania

State College, and the main campus of Penn State, is about 40 miles away too,
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 AM

i'm actually a little surprised. there are so many awful things written about loretto on this thread but my boyfriend hasn't said anything negative in the three weeks he's been there. nobody has asked him why he's there, everyone has been pretty nice to him. he's had no problems with any of the staff. he said the food isn't awesome, but it's not as gross as everyone seemed to think it was. he gets his mail relatively fast. he goes outside a lot. he gets a chance to call me every day. all in all it really doesn't seem that bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dframent For This Useful Post:
F22867 (05-20-2013), Julie02000 (12-13-2013)