Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:16 AM
I luv my brother

Hi Miss B- how is your BF doing at Loretto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_b View Post
hi

my boyfrend went to loretto last friday. may 21 2010. is anybody here that still has there loved ones there? i would like to ask a few questions. please get back to me.

im really desperate and helpless. i hope to find some help and info from friends on this website. i hope to get over thi depression or it will kill me.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 PM

lovingwil covered it pretty well. i too use the marriot but have hit it well sometimes thru priceline.com, as low as $65-to 119. a good place to stay and feel comfort after the 4 hour drive. arrive on the dot! 816 or 817 can set you back as much as 25 minutes in processing. i find dollar coins also great to bring with me. good luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:36 PM

Default Loretto info

Loretto is in the mountains and the visits are from 815 to 215 F/S/Sun and fed holidays. read the BOP handbook for visiting guidelines and be sure you wear closed shoes and no underwire bras.

that being said, they have 1400 residents and food is poor. classes are available and they can move 'freely' about once an hour i think. there is a chapel too and outside time.

your guy can receive mail, cards, pix, magazine, torn out articles from newspapers, and soft cover books directly from you. not all fcis allow the books so this saves money for postage and to buy used books.

having a routine is the most important thing, to pass the time.
we've gotten creative to help him remember stuff from home and even found a website to design a crossword puzzle, giving him clues to help keep memories fresh.
there is no internet access or A/C except for the visiting room. i think they can see a movie once a week too and have softball and a track.

hope this has helped. visiting is in person and you can hold hands and even have a photo taken with a purchased ticket in advance by him.

Glad to help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benzmom For This Useful Post:
cd3223 (11-14-2010), do97jdl (07-16-2010), OnlyGirl4RJS (11-29-2011)
Old 07-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,927 Times in 12,665 Posts

Loretto was a Catholic Monistary when the BOP bought it. Now it's a low and a camp. A room that used to house 4 Monks now holds 8 prisoners, which is true overcrowding, but it also has probably the only chapel in prisondom with stained glass windows ! There is almost no air conditioning and the administration wouldn't permit fans in the rooms, which was extremely nasty in the summer.

One of my best days in the BOP was when I was able to get into a program that allowed me to leave Loretto.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 PM
I luv my brother

Fbopnomore-what prison did you go to when you left Loretto? How was that prison? Better?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I went to Petersburg low and yes, it was much better than Loretto. It even had microwaves and tables in the dayroom, which Loretto has removed along with anything else the staff thinks the inmates might enjoy.
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
cd3223 (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 04:04 PM
I luv my brother

My brother is at Loretto. He says it is OK...but, he doesn't really have anything else to compare it to. From what I am hearing on here...it sounds pretty crappy!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 PM
I luv my brother

Did they have A/C and better food at Petersburg?
I am assuming the guys at Loretto have microwaves to heat up food they buy at the commissary...right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I went to Petersburg low and yes, it was much better than Loretto. It even had microwaves and tables in the dayroom, which Loretto has removed along with anything else the staff thinks the inmates might enjoy.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

When I was at Loretto in 2006 there was no Air conditioning (except in the CO offices, medical, library and the administrative offices)and no microwaves for commissary food. Personal fans were also not permitted, so the summer nights were awful. They had 190 degree water (for commissary foods) in each residence unit but had stopped replacing them when they broke, which was all the time. There were contraband water heating coils that were made by inmates, but they were confiscated when found. Hopefully things have improved since then, but Loretto was really harsh when I was there.

Petersburg Low does not have A/C but personal fans are allowed. The Medium is air conditioned and all of the Petersburg housing units have 2 or 3 microwaves each.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 07-07-2010 at 01:47 PM..
Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I luv my brother

fbopnomore....nothing has changed. so sad!
The Following User Says Thank You to cd3223 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-10-2010)
Old 09-26-2010, 01:38 AM

Hi everyone. I just got approved to visit my bf. I was wonderiing if anyone knew if surprise visits are okay or not. I want to surprise my boyfrend by just showing up. But I'm notsure we can do that. Do we have to make advance preparations or notificatons with^to the prison? He is in fci loretto. Your help would be appreciated. Thank you .
Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 PM
I luv my brother

Hi miss B.. Did you make the surprise visit? I do not believe there has to be advanced notice.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 PM
I luv my brother

I have since found out that you can make a surprise visit if you are on the approved list....but, you are not guaranteed to see your man! If he doesn't know you are coming and he is not listening for them to page his name....he may never hear it and you Could sit there all day. Better to let him know you are coming and he knows to listen for them to call his name. Enjoy your visit!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:53 PM

Do they have corrlinks at loretto? My fiancée is going there soon and just was wondering if they have email access
Old 02-05-2011, 02:08 AM

Yes they have corrlinks.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:11 AM

No visits yet. Things are very tough and the snow sux
Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 AM
FoundLoveInAHopelessPlace
Donation Award 

miss b have you been able to visit your bf since this last post?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Red face Everything will work its self out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd3223 View Post
Hi Miss B- how is your BF doing at Loretto?

Hey,

My fiance is currently in Loretto, I had some questions about different programs such as Life Connections or others that would possibly get more time taken off of his sentence. Also I wanted to know if anyone has ever attempted to marry their loved one in Loretto, although I know that no one has ever went through it all the way. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

He can apply for Life Connections Program from Loretto by talking to the Chaplain. It used to be Sister Maryann Palko, but I think she has retired. They do have the LCP video and questionnaire. They used to send quite a few inmates from there to LCP in either Milan (MI) or Petersburg (VA) lows, but I'm not sure if they still do.

The 18 month, faith based residential LCP does not currently earn any extra time off, but it is a far better way to do time than Loretto, which was easily the worst non "transit" bop prison I ever encountered, including Medium security prisons. There have also been a couple of proposed laws to give extra good time for completing programs like LCP, but don't count on them ever being passed until they really are.

I don't have any information about getting married there though.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Til Death Do Us Part
Donation Award 

Default marriage by proxy

When my husband was at Loretto, we were married by proxy. The Cambria county clerk does not go to Loretto to have the inmates fill out the marriage license. We attempted several times, and we were unsuccessful. PM for more info on proxy marriage, if u r interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieBReal25 View Post
Hey,

My fiance is currently in Loretto, I had some questions about different programs such as Life Connections or others that would possibly get more time taken off of his sentence. Also I wanted to know if anyone has ever attempted to marry their loved one in Loretto, although I know that no one has ever went through it all the way. Thanks!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Til' Death...

My husband is currently in FCI Loretto. He's been there for about 4 months and so far he seems its a fair place. Of course, it's prison so it's not a HILTON but he can manage being there for a while. Other than the fact that he is 8 hours away, I am content with him being there....like I have a choice, lol.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 AM

My husband just got there last Tuesday!!!! I have not heard from him just yet!!! I just put money on his books!!!! The clergy from the chapel called me to let me know that he was ok!!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysHisBonnie View Post
My husband is currently in FCI Loretto. He's been there for about 4 months and so far he seems its a fair place. Of course, it's prison so it's not a HILTON but he can manage being there for a while. Other than the fact that he is 8 hours away, I am content with him being there....like I have a choice, lol.
How long was it before he was able to call you!!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

If he is at his first bop prison, it could take some time before his phone list is approved by his counselor and he receives his phone pin number in the mail. If he was transfered there from another bop prison where he did have access to the ITS phone system, his counselor only has to import his phone list, and his pin number will always be the same. How long either of those things will take is totally up to the counselor.

When I first arrived at Loretto, there weren't enough general population beds available, so I was put in the hole for 12 days. No phone calls from there, and the counselor never came around either. I hope he is able to call soon.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:24 PM

Default FCI Loretto info

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeline View Post
My husband just got there last Tuesday!!!! I have not heard from him just yet!!! I just put money on his books!!!! The clergy from the chapel called me to let me know that he was ok!!!!!
Hope you and your husband have spoken by now.
Took me a while to get a routine for the phone calls, and now we work it so that we speak 5 days a week for 10 minutes (he times it on his watch). we skip wed/sat as a rule. this way 50 minutes/week x 4 weeks is 200 min. that leaves us with 100 minutes to wiggle room for parenting or other things. it's worked out so we don't run out of minutes at the end of his month cycle, which we really didn't like doing. in the beginning, i'd jot things down to remember to ask him.

Glad the chap called you. He could be in a worse place overall. Hope he can make the best of it and keep his days busy.. let me know if you have any ? about visits or hotels, phones, etc. no real instruction book on this stuff, but it helps if you have some tips of dos and don'ts. good luck, stay busy and write to him often. that's what keeps you going.. at least that's what's working for us...take care...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benzmom For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-24-2012), wifeline (01-01-2013)