Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:01 PM

146 - Congratualtions! You must be so excited! Thanks so much for your helpful information. I'm going next Saturday night for my first visit (short weekend, so I only have 3 hours with him) and it's helpful to have all of this information. I'm sure I would have forgotten something which would have put me in the "back of the line". How long does it take frm the time they "open the gates" to when you actually get in. I have about a 2 hour drive and am just trying to plan on how long before visiting time I should get there. I don't want to waste any of our "visiting" time with administrative stuff.

Publius - I'm sure this is heartbreaking for your family and kids. If you want to IM privately with your info, I can let you know who my hubby is and then I can get a message to your family that your settling in ok once you get there. That was difficult for me because you really can't call for about 5 days or so while you get all your stuff connected and your wife will have enough to deal with...I know! Whatever you wear in your wife will take home with her however, since it takes a few days to be able to buy sweats, you might want to try wearing the grey sweats in and see if you can keep them because otherwise you have to wear your clothes to sleep in until you can buy your sweats.

I'll check back in tomorrow if you have any other questions.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2008, 04:24 PM

Hi Miracle08,

I re-read my previous post, should have said 30 days and counting down, none the less, yep I'm getting pretty excited. This has really been something. I've learned alot about myself and life and of course who the people really are that you can count on. Big surprise there that's for sure. Let's see, your visit will be from 5-8 so I would be at the gate by 4:30, earlier if you want. I always try to be the 1st one at the gate, the cars file in in the order they arrive and drive to the facility in the same fashion. That's where the woman in the house there comes out and makes a big scene like a nut and screams at everyone so be sure not to block the driveways, don't park on the edge of the grass or by the mail box :-) Then when you get to the top of the driveway you'll pull up to the little brick thing and check in, just tell him you're there for a visit at the camp. I get all my stuff together ahead of time, ones, license etc... so all I have to do is get out of the car and hurry to the door. I hate getting behind everyone! Since your visit falls between the holidays it might be really really packed. We had a visit the saturday before Thanksgiving and they ran out of seats! Once you fill out the paper and give it to the guard, sign in in the book and he'll send you in to the visiting room. It all happens pretty quick. Once you're in, then your hubby will be down. If you want to know where he comes out, when you get into the room, as soon as you get in the room, look at the door on the right - it's tan. He will come through there. Sit close to the edge of the seats, where the guards desk is, that way when they open the divider you can make a dash for a good table! I carry all my crap that I take in with me in a little see through plastic makeup type bag. You can take pictures in with you too so if you ever want to do that... One thing that irks me is, sometimes it's 30-40 minutes or so before they send him in for the visit, nice when you have a 3 hour drive, a 3 hour visit and they screw around like that. There's one C.O. that does that routinely. He waits until there are so many to go for a visit, processes them at the same time and sends them in. Makes mo so disgusted! Hope my little "getting in quick procedure" makes sense.
If you don't mind me asking, what part of NY are you from?
Well, take care. I'm going to send you my e-mail privately. I don't know if you feel the same way, but I've found that although friends and family can be supportive, no one really knows what this is like but us.
Peace,
Old 01-29-2009, 01:11 PM

Default Any info on inmate death in Lewisburg?

Does anyone have any further info on the death of an inmate in Lewisburg? I have a friend in the SHU and am really worried.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,379 Times in 4,637 Posts

You should write to him. If he knows anything about what happened, he won't want to write to you about it, so don't ask - but you certainly can just ask him if he's doing O.K. and when you hear back from him, your mind will be more at ease. There has been no further information and I expect there probably won't be, unless or until something is published about an inmate being charged in the case.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:19 AM
Rest in Peace Whit...

Default USP Lewisburg

Hello all!
My penpal is going to move to USP Lewisburg in a few month. In his letter he said that it is pretty much like the hole all the time
Do you have a loved one in that facility? How is it?
Thanks for your answers
Nina

Have a good day !
Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,379 Times in 4,637 Posts

USP Lewisburg has just been changed over into a "Special Management Institution." So there is not going to be much information here yet about what it's like. I do know that they are going to begin prisoners, newly arrived, at a lockdown level most likely and then they will have to earn their way into a "step-down" program through positive behavior. So the inmate may go from full-lockdown to then having meals with a small group of inmates and have a few more privileges or yard time. No one knows yet really. No one knows what the visitation will be like either. The BOP says they are going to send prisoners there who they believe are causing problems in other institutions. Actually, once your penpal is there, YOU can be the one to let the rest of us know what it's like - at least what he tells you. Z.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
Malia Lynn (02-19-2009)
Old 02-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Rest in Peace Whit...

Thank you so much for answering me Zelda.
So if I understand well, this is a new program launched by the BOP but it's never been tested then...?
Okay, well, I hope he will be fine there. Right now he's in the hole so it sort of makes sense.

He will probably tell me what it's like in Lewisburg since he knows I like it when he tells me about his daily life. I'll be back in a few months to tell you, then
He also has a blog (that his father publishes online). I can't post the link here because it's against PTO privacy but if anyone wishes to read it, I encourage you to PM me and ask me. He will certainly post articles about his new facility when he moves in.

Thanks again Zelda!

Have a good day !
Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,841 Times in 4,101 Posts

I would def wait till he gets back to you.
My good friend's hunnie is there and they have very strict visiting guidelines because of the program, which has started. She is not allowed to visit-only immediate family members. And if I am not mistaken she said 2 hours behind glass with a 2 week advance appointment
Check before buying air line tickets
Lewisburg was the *Big House* from when I was a child so I know its got to be old as all outdoors if not older.
Although its the hole with 23 hour lock they still double up 2 man cell which can suck if you get the wrong cell mate.
I hope he STEPS DOWN fast
Old 02-13-2009, 04:40 AM
Rest in Peace Whit...

[quote=Wobabi;4422547]
Although its the hole with 23 hour lock they still double up 2 man cell which can suck if you get the wrong cell mate.[quote]

Oh, he said he should be alone in his cell if he goes to Lewisburg... misinformation I guess.
Thanks for your answer Babi

Have a good day !
Old 04-03-2009, 11:03 AM

Default What to expect at Lewisburg Camp?

Hi. My boyfriend just got his self surrender info telling him to report april 19th. Both of us are unsure of what to expect. Anybody that can offer any info regarding anything about the camp, it will be greatly appreciated.

I also am the mother of a 9 month old daughter and I was reading some regulations regarding visits with my infant. I was a little bit unsure of what I was allowed to bring in for her. I saw something about 3/4 filled formula bottles. But anyone who is a mother knows that if your daughter is taking powdered formula, you can't mix it until right before she is going to drink it. She also has to drink bottles with cereal inside the formula. Any advice for that situation?

I was also wondering about low cost hotels/motels in the area. I am from central NY and it is a 4 hr drive so if it is affordable it would be best for me to stay overnight.

My email is malibu_palm@yahoo.com And any insight into what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,163 Times in 655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecejad View Post
Hi. My boyfriend just got his self surrender info telling him to report april 19th. Both of us are unsure of what to expect. Anybody that can offer any info regarding anything about the camp, it will be greatly appreciated.

I also am the mother of a 9 month old daughter and I was reading some regulations regarding visits with my infant. I was a little bit unsure of what I was allowed to bring in for her. I saw something about 3/4 filled formula bottles. But anyone who is a mother knows that if your daughter is taking powdered formula, you can't mix it until right before she is going to drink it. She also has to drink bottles with cereal inside the formula. Any advice for that situation?

I was also wondering about low cost hotels/motels in the area. I am from central NY and it is a 4 hr drive so if it is affordable it would be best for me to stay overnight.

My email is malibu_palm@yahoo.com And any insight into what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
Hi! Mom bf is at Lewisburg Camp (since Feb). It is pretty laid back there, though at times it can be boring. He has involved himself in yoga and working out and is working in the kitchen. But as far as people, he tries to stay away from others so he doesn't get involved in any mess they may get themselves into.

Go to http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/lew/index.jsp for the list of visiting regulations. There is information in there regarding what you can bring in for the baby. Also, visitation is based on their Federal Register number as to what weekends you can visit. The first 5 digits determine the weekend EVENS and ODDS. My honey is an odd.

The most frustrating - don't expect to hear from him right away. It might take a while for your phone number to get approved, but it will eventually get approved. Also, you will need to have a visitation form sent to you from your bf. It takes about a month to 6 weeks for approval.

He can have $290 a month for commissary and the first month he will go through it fast. He'll need sneakers, headphones and some other things they don't provide them (toiletries and whatnot). Jaleel did get a box of goodies from a local church when he got there and that made him feel a little more at ease.

The inmates there are descent and a couple older gents took Jaleel in right away and showed him around and introduced him to others. I guess they were the welcoming committee!

I am heading to Lewisburg in a month and I am staying at the Days Inn in Lewisburg. It's about $75 a night. But I have no choice, I live 8 hours away so driving that long to see him requires some sleep!

If you have any other questions, just pm me. I will be glad to help in anyway I can.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 AM

Default Big Sis 4 Lil Bro - Lewisburg PA Camp

THANK YOU FOR THIS IN... My Lil Bro.. just got to the Camp... We are looking forward to getting to see him. Do you know if they get an email address? email me at ddpetersdst@gmail.com

BigSis4LilBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 146DaysOrLess View Post
Hi KathyInMaine
I wonder if that was officer Kraemer that you spoke to. When I called he was so nice to me. I really appreciated it.

Here is some info that will be helpful for you to know. Please feel free to ask me any questions, I'll tell you what I know.
1) The guys can spend upto $290/month. They buy stuff from the commisary. In order for your son to have spending money it has to be wired to him via western union. I do this at the local grocery store. I printed the form from the western union website so I would know ahead of time how to fill it out. You'll have to have your sons ID#.
2) He can take a few things in with him. I believe a watch, bible, phone/address book (we used the computer and put his on a business card- front & back) and some case. I can't recall what the amount was exactly- I believe $100 or $150. This he can use to money can be loaded on his card (everything there is done thru a card- like an atm card). If he goes in with some case, once his list is approved, he will be able to call you soon. It was about a week before I heard from him.
3) About the phone- when he calls you, a recording will say, you have a prepaid call, this call is from "son's name" you will hear his voice say his name, then it will go on to say, "an inmate at a federal prison" (I'm still not used to hearing that), to accept the call you have to push 5. Then begin talking. He will get 15 minutes to chat. At around 14 minutes you'll hear 2 beeps faintly, that's telling you to wrap it up. He can call you back, but after 30 minutes. They get 300 minutes a month for the phone and that's it. The phone minutes cost $70 for the 300.
3) Mail- you can write back and forth. You can write right away, no waiting for approval or anything. You'll need his ID#. E-mail me (Ironhorse81@aol.com) if you want and I'll give you the address if you want, or you can wait for your son to send it to you.
4) What you can send in the mail: Letters, pictures, magazines, paperbacks, drawings, newspaper clippings, greeting cards. I'm sure you know that it's much cheaper to have a subscription than to buy from the store. You can have the magazines sent directly to your son, I always tell the people taking the information that it has to read exactly as I give it to them. I also got my guy a subscription to the local Sunday paper, they mail it right to him. Keeps him in the loop.
4). Visits: See info in my post. And, ask your son to ask for visitor forms right away. He'll send them to you, fill them out and get them back in asap. The address to send them back to is in about the middle of the form to the right, and write it exactly.

A few other things I've learned about the place, the rules are the rules. There's no fence around the camp, there are markers that tell them they're out of bounds. There's a gym, ball fields, bacci court, they watch tv, they're free to mingle. There is no smoking at all. Some of the guys sneak cell phones, and stuff. Not a good idea, as that can get them put behind the wall. The visits are in a big room with tables and chairs, there's a patio with tables, if it's nice you can sit outside which is cool. There are vending machines with sandwiches, chips and cold drinks. He can go tot he machines with you, but they can't touch money. You can take money, your license and car keys in and that's about it. I carry a little see through clutch purse and put my stuff in that- and lots of one dollar bills and change. Make sure you have is ID#, and your license plate number when you go to visit, you'll have to fill out a form.
In general this has been a scary experience for me, this part is almost over and I can not wait to put this part behind me. It helps that the CO's there have been very nice, some better than others. I hope this info is helpful. Like I mentioned, feel free to e-mail me, we can chat and let me know what other questions you have.
Be strong, Peace.
The Following User Says Thank You to cclc1021 For This Useful Post:
siblinglove (09-10-2009)
Old 04-09-2009, 07:53 AM

I am SS to Lewisburg camp on April 16 2009. Does anyone one have info specific to this place on what type of programs they offer? Any experience with bringing in or getting a CPAP? It says be there by 2:00 pm, how early should I show up?
Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 10:51 AM

Are the sweats they issue dark grey or light grey I want to purchase them on the outside on the slim chance they may let me keep them. Does this include t-shirt, sweat pants, sweat shirt? hoodie? what type of plain white shoes. any brand names better?
Old 04-10-2009, 05:35 AM

I'm also going to SS to Lewisburg on May 5th,I still don't know where I will be I'm going in for 18 months for a white collar crime,no prior history and my paper says USP SPC so I don't know where exactly I will be.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:30 PM

SPC is Satilite Prison Camp
Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM

I wasn't sure due the fact that on the letter it says to SS at Lewisburg USP SPC I saw both so I got a little confussed,but it is what it is,I'm just blessed I had the time to leave everything in order for my entire family(thank God)that will put me at ease at least.Thank you!!!

Last edited by supraturbo680; 04-10-2009 at 04:11 PM..
Old 04-12-2009, 09:20 PM

Default I need a ride to USP Lewisburg (Camp) from Pittsburgh

Please let me know if enyone is going USP Lewisburg (Camp). I live in Pittsburgh.

Thank you!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:39 PM

My hubby is at USP Luwisburg Camp. I miss him so much I went to see him last week, almost 4 months after he got there. I live in Pittsburgh and dont drive His friend took me there. My hubby said there are only 15 people from Pittsburgh?! I couldnt believe it. I wish I can go there every other week, but it is impossible.
I was so excited to see him. The people in the room were so laid back. It felt like you are at the train station or something.
IF by any chance someone on here is from Pittsburgh please let me know!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 AM

I just called Lewisburg Satalite Camp they said I could bring money with me and they will put it on books and to bring my CPAP uin case they do not have on avaliable.
Does anyone know the color of the sweats dark or light grey I forgot to ask
Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 AM

Default Lewisburg Camp Visitation Schedule

I just dropped my boyfriend off yesterday for his self surrender and I was just wondering if anyone had a visit schedule, for the odd and even weekends. Thanks a lot
Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 PM

Default Going for a visit to Lewisburg camp. Question

My hubby is at the camp. I went there last month with his friend. Guard asked as to write our car's info. This weekend my friend is taking me there. He doesnt want his car model/lisence to appear on their record. Can he just drop me off at the camp and I will tell the guard that i was dropped of by my friend? Will he still ask me for a car info? Or maybe can my friend drop me off in the town and i will take a cab? What are my options?
Thank you.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:28 AM

My hubby is at the camp. I went there last month with his friend. Guard asked as to write our car's info. This weekend my friend is taking me there. He doesnt want his car model/lisence to appear on their record. Can he just drop me off at the camp and I will tell the guard that i was dropped of by my friend? Will he still ask me for a car info? Or maybe can my friend drop me off in the town and i will take a cab? What are my options?
Thank you.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:22 AM
NJGirl

Hi.
My husband was there from 12/07 until 4/09. He was moved to Allenwood. I visited him 2x month every month. You can have someone drop you off. They cannot wait in the parking lot. It has to be a drop and go. Without a car in the lot, they shouldn't need the license info. You could also take a cab as you stated. You are not allowed to "linger" in the parking lot so you must make sure that whoever picks you up promptly and on-time. Very important, there is a time in the morning when the facility is locked while they are doing count. This lasts about 45 minutes. When you get to the speaker, you will be told if you can proceed or if you need to come back. Just in case you take a cab. You can call the facility to ask them what time they usually do count. I believe it is around 9:30am but am not certain.
Hope this is helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to NJGirl For This Useful Post:
lena_k198 (05-06-2009)
Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM
NJGirl

Hi
If your boyfriend can't mail you a schedule, you can call the facility. Tell them his name and number and they can tell you when you can visit. When my husband self-surrendered 12/07, I did this and they were very helpful. With all of this swine-flu stuff going on, you might want to call anyway because I am hearing about some facilities cancelling visits.