Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:56 AM

Just curious as to how this prison is...I see the posts are pretty old. My biological father has recently been placed in the FCI for crimes he committed against me from when I was 12 - 17.
I know there are plenty of sex offenders within the prison system, but does anybody know if he is just now living in there watching TV, playing ping-pong and pool all day? I don't know the ins and outs. I know I shouldn't be so concerned with how he is living his life as he is in prison now (19 yr sentence). He just consumed my life...and now I hope his is a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 PM

umm...don't really know what to say about that. My brother arrived at Big Spring, yesterday, his 7th prison in 5 years, and he doesn't think it appears to be at all *safe,* much less "Club Fed." Yes, they apparently have ping pong tables, horseshoes(it being Texas, and all), and other intermural sports activities, but I lived down there in Alpine, for a few years, and I don't know how much they're enjoying the desert heat...I called and asked if they had AC or swamp coolers, and was told that they *control the temperatures,* and how they did it was not information for public release, which may mean exhaust fans, who knows? Guess they never heard of the FIA act:/
Old 08-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Default Fci big spring

Well...thanks for the info. More than I knew already. Guess I'm just wondering what happens there at Big Spring. Nobody really talks about how it is there, what goes on, etc.
Are the "chesters" (what I have learned just from being online, seperated from the general population? Are they treated differently?
Anyways, thanks for trying to enlighten a little. Just would like to see this thread more active as it would probably answer more questions I have. I really am not sure WHAT to ask if you know what I mean.
I don't HATE the man, just curious as to what is up with him and how his new life is.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:46 AM

I'd like to see it more active, too, as I can get very little info. I just tried to check email through corrlinks, and I guess it's down. Don't know how long your Dad has been there, but my brother says there is little in the way of jobs, and he's been assigned to rec facilities, which he says is beyond cruel, standing outside in the heat in full khakis...his head apparently sunburns, blisters and peels every day I can't answer your questions, I'm sorry...it is a low security prison, and I would guess most guys are on their best behavior so as not to be sent to someplace worse...the dorms house 40-60 men. I would imagine they try and keep the *chomos* together to ensure their safety, but it wasn't that way in other Fed institutions my brother was in, he was in the hole once for fighting with one, it's just really hard to say.

Just a thought...you could always write and ask him how his new life is, since you don't HATE him.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:12 AM

My boyfriend was sent to Big Spring and I think he is in the Low, not at the camp, but I haven't heard from him since the move 15 days ago. Does anyone know how long the A&O process takes? I sent money to his commissary the day BOP updated his status (he was in Marshal's custody before that), but I haven't heard anything from him yet. I know I need to be patient, but the long wait is making me anxious.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bndlad View Post
Just curious as to how this prison is...I see the posts are pretty old. My biological father has recently been placed in the FCI for crimes he committed against me from when I was 12 - 17.
I know there are plenty of sex offenders within the prison system, but does anybody know if he is just now living in there watching TV, playing ping-pong and pool all day? I don't know the ins and outs. I know I shouldn't be so concerned with how he is living his life as he is in prison now (19 yr sentence). He just consumed my life...and now I hope his is a little bit.
I'm sorry for what you went through! My BF's getting ready to transfer to a low in Texas next year and I've done some research into them and from what I can tell, Big Spring's one of the worst lows to be at, at least in Texas! Some prisons, like Seagoville, have sex offender programs, which means that prison will have a higher ratio of sex offenders and so they can live more relaxed in there. I don't think that's the case at Big Springs! My BFs at a medium right now and he says regular inmates hate sex offenders, especially child molesters. They're beated, ridiculed and "run off the yard", many of them end up in special housing for their own protection. Not sure if that's the case at a low but I should think so. He got a long sentence for what he did to you, good for you!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:30 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,206 Times in 2,544 Posts

Big Spring is not the worst, trust me on that one.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 AM
His rib...his Queen...

Does anybody know if Big Spring has the RDAP program?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Here's a link to their Admissions and Orientation handbook. There is generally information in those as to what programs the facility offers.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 PM

For those of you asking about BIG SPRING. It is BY FAR the DUMP of DUMPS of the federal prison system. They are under yet another review for conditions not being met. Raw sewage drips from the 3rd floor all the way to the bottom. That is the best thing I can tell you. I could on and write a novel for you. They are 150% over capacity right now. It is bad. I can only be patient and soon mine will be coming home and out of the hell hole. 3 years and not a day goes by that I can't believe they allow the conditions that they do.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce5273 View Post
For those of you asking about BIG SPRING. It is BY FAR the DUMP of DUMPS of the federal prison system. They are under yet another review for conditions not being met. Raw sewage drips from the 3rd floor all the way to the bottom. That is the best thing I can tell you. I could on and write a novel for you. They are 150% over capacity right now. It is bad. I can only be patient and soon mine will be coming home and out of the hell hole. 3 years and not a day goes by that I can't believe they allow the conditions that they do.
150% over capacity and yet the BOP continues to transfer inmates there. They just sent a busload of people from my BF's prison to Big Springs, unbelievable! My BF's waiting to hear about his transfer and getting Big Spring's our nightmare!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce5273 View Post
Are you talking about the FCI, the CI or the camp?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:05 PM

Can you tell me if the camp has air conditioning or free weights? My son is supposed to be transferred to the camp and just wanted to get more details. Is the food decent?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Banned

From what I understand from my research of Big Spring, they have swamp coolers instead of a/c.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:35 PM

Sorry for not getting back on here for a while. Big Spring FCI is what I am talking about. They have a music program and a great weight pile. That is what got mine thru his days. He has since finally been transferred closer to home, yet not close enough. Still won't be able to visit but maybe 3 times a year if I am lucky.

Either way BIG SPRING FCI has got to be one of the top ranked worst places to be sent to.
The Following User Says Thank You to bryce5273 For This Useful Post:
mallafri (03-17-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Oilfield Goddess

Is anyone interested in having a tag-along for visitation to FCI Big Spring? I'm in Wink, but I could meet you in Odessa. Times are really tough & I can't fund a trip to BS by myself.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to westtexasred For This Useful Post:
Soulyrical (05-28-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Disclaimer:

Prison Talk Online cannot accept responsibility for rideshare or carpool arrangements made between members.

Members are advised that they make these arrangements at their own risk and in no way can PTO be held accountable for any problems that arise.

We would like to encourage our members to consider the following precautions when entering into a carpool/rideshare agreement with another member.
  • Before agreeing to carpool, certain issues should be discussed and decisions made. Issues that should be settled immediately include members’ feelings about the radio, conversation, smoking habits and eating.
  • You should also find out whether the vehicle, personal possessions, or clothing of either passengers or driver will contain illegal substances or contraband. This is a very important issue and should be addressed with your fellow travellers. Prisons routinely search vehicles and you should be aware if there is a possibility of something being discovered and action taken. Most states do not allow firearms, cameras or alcohol on prison grounds - do your research, find out what is the local policy.
  • Agree in advance on reimbursement for driving expenses, meals, toll roads, parking fees and so on. Agree on a way of payment and a timescale for payment to happen.
  • If you don’t know your carpooling buddies, feel free to ask them about their driving record. Make sure they have a valid drivers licence.
  • Make your pick-up point a public location until you thoroughly trust the other individual.
  • Use common sense and trust your instincts; with a little preparation carpooling can be very rewarding and often leads to long lasting friendships.
Finally, have a safe journey and enjoy your visits.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 AM
His rib...his Queen...

Default FCI Big Spring

Does anybody have a loved one at this facility? My husband should arrive there this week. Would love to connect with others who have a loved one there. Thanx!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 PM

I have not seen any recent posts about FCI Big Spring or the Camp. My husband has been their for about a month. I would like to connect with others that have loved ones their...
The Following User Says Thank You to rrknsr For This Useful Post:
Soulyrical (11-11-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM

My bf is at the FCI - he's been there for a little over a year
The Following User Says Thank You to oregonmelissa For This Useful Post:
Soulyrical (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 AM
Banned

My BF's probably being transferred there early next year! We're hoping for some other places but due to the overcrowding issues and Big Spring having dormatory style housing, I guess this is where he'll end up. We've heard some pretty bad things about Big Spring, anyone with a loved one there who would like to share what it's like?! How's the living conditions? Do they only have dormatory and what is that like? Is it a lot of gangs and violence? What about food and medical? Has visitation gotten any better? Any info would be greately appreciated!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 AM
His rib...his Queen...

My man is there and besides the dorm style living, he said it ain't that bad there. There are many opportunities to go to school, just not a lot of job options, and there is a camp. Now in my opinion, there is nothing to complain about when it comes to visiting. When I read the previous posts about how horrible it is at Big Spring and how terrible it is to visit there I was concerned. Visits are great, no tables, just chairs, as most FCI's you get to hug and kiss in the beginning and the end, hold hands throughout visit, steal a kiss here and there. They are very laid back actually. They have a play area and tv for the children. Visits to the FCI are only on the weekends and of course holidays. The staff have always been very nice and professional. The facility looks to be very nice from the outside, I can not speak on the actual living quarters, except for what my man has told me. They have the Mp3's, corrlinks, the computers are in the rec area outside, they lock down around 11:30 Texas time. Gangs, will be an issue at any prison. He has not mentioned it being real drama there. He said the food ain't that bad, that it is actually good. He has had to go to medical and they acted fast and he had no complaints. For him the hardest part has been getting use to the dorm style living. Any other questions you have I will try to answer or find the answer. But I promise you it ain't like what the previous posts said, things must have changed.
oregonmelissa (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 AM

My bf has been there a little over a year and just had his second visit with the doctor. He has to take daily meds, so they needed to renew his prescriptions. The dr renewed them all, even though he stopped taking the antidepressants 6 mo ago. He told the dr & the dr said "Well, I will renew everything anyway." Whatever. Said it was only a 5 min visit. At least they gave him something new to try for the arthritis in his knee. Said it was a brief visit, but the dr was human about it. He says that he knows he is the only one who is really going to look out for his own medical needs at this point, so he doesn't expect a lot out of the medical staff - this visit was a little better than his expectations.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 AM

Default Need info on FCI Big Springs Help PLS

Would appreciate any information about Big Springs Facility in Texas
Have heard negative things any information is helpful
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,885 Times in 16,527 Posts

I've moved your thread to the Federal sub-forum for that facility so others who are familiar with Big Springs can give you some insights on that facility.

Welcome to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin