Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 AM

I am wanting to see if anyone knows what sickness is going around at Atlanta USP? My husband just had to report there this past Monday and he is in a holding cell because of sickness in the prison. How long will he remain in the holding cell? Any information I can get would be very helpful. I have never had to do anything like this and I am totally confused by all of the information on the internet. I just got an email from him today saying he was in a holding cell, but he did not know what sickness was going around.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 PM

The prison has been on lockdown since Tuesday afternoon. They were told it is to contain/quarantine a "norovirus" that has been spreading through the prison. They were let out of their cells for an hour yesterday to shower and communicate with friends/family, and were told that the lockdown would last until at least Sunday.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SadTodd For This Useful Post:
MartyLivLauhLov (04-20-2013), MiniMoose (04-21-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Okay, so they were let out again today for an hour to shower and use the phones/email. Today they were told that they are actually being locked down/quarantined because an inmate came down with chickenpox. (This one is supposedly "official", as opposed to the norovirus, which was a rumor). They are being quarantined until the infectious period is over. (Okay, so.. doesn't letting them all out at the same time to shower and use the phones kind of defeat the entire purpose of a quarantine? If they are exposing them to each other for that hour... they might as well just let them all out).

They don't know when they will be let out, although a guard told them that "maybe" they would get out this week.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 AM

My son recently got transferred (temporarily) to Atlanta USP. Are they now on lockdown?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,901 Times in 12,648 Posts

The transfer unit at Atlanta is always on lockdown. When I was there we were supposed to be let out of our cells for one hour a day, but it usually only happened about 3 or 4 times a week. During that time, there were long lines for the two telephones, which could only make $25.00 collect calls, and for the showers, so it was usually one or the other, not both. The only good thing about Atlanta holdover is when you leave.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Til Death Do Us Part
Donation Award 

My husband is in route to FCI Ashland, and he just arrived at Atlanta USP. I didn't hear from him, I checked bop.gov awhile ago. I hope he's ok.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:17 PM

My boyfriend just got sent to USP Atlanta from Coleman 2 it was a big surprise to me because he wasn't suppose to be moved or anything but he was in the SHU in Coleman when they transferred him well I checked the BOP website this morning that's how I knew he was in ATL so I called them & they said he was there, also his release date changed they took off 4 months well I go back & look at it again & it still says he is in Coleman 2 & it went back to his original release date. When I called ATL they said he wasn't in a unit yet but he could probably call me later. I know they get a free call when they get to a new prison so I am hoping he calls but I hope he stays there because it's really close to where I live. Does anyone know anything about this prison?
Old 11-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

He will only get a free call if his counselor decides to give him one. USP Atlanta has prisoners assigned there, but it also serves as a major transit hub during moves to other prisons, so being there might only be temporary. The inmate locator is not always accurate either, and with all the changes you saw, this sounds like one of those times.

Atlanta is over 100 years old (Al Capone did time there), and may now be considered to be medium security. It is not a pleasant place, especially for transfers and SHU prisoners.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:13 AM

I spent 1 year in the camp at USP Atlanta. Depending on your mind set, it is a great place for being in prison, or sucks. There are no real jobs, so no chance to earn money, just your normal busy work. It is crazy with contraband, everything from drugs and beer to phones, and tablets. I saw more movies in than I did when I got home. The staff and guards leave you alone. Its a bunch of BS and poorly run compared to other camps. The conuslers are shitty!! Don't expect full 1/2 way house time or help with transfers, paperwork, etc. But it's safe and fairly clean, however, there is no equipment or new stuff for working out. The library is bad and poor choices on commissary. You won't starve, but the food was horrible.....unless you buy it on the black market. Atlanta is one of those places that if you have money on your books, you can live like a king.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:13 PM

My husband was transferred to USP Atlanta. I really don't have a clue as to what I should do next. I got the address from BOP site to send a letter. Is he suppose to use his account to make calls home or do I have to use a phone provider, if so which provider? I did receive an email saying I needed to register with corrlinks to be able to receive emails from him. Other than that I don't anything. Can someone give me some insight on how things work.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TySouthernBell View Post
My husband was transferred to USP Atlanta. I really don't have a clue as to what I should do next. I got the address from BOP site to send a letter. Is he suppose to use his account to make calls home or do I have to use a phone provider, if so which provider? I did receive an email saying I needed to register with corrlinks to be able to receive emails from him. Other than that I don't anything. Can someone give me some insight on how things work.
Thanks
Phone calls in the federal prisons work differently than state or county. There is no phone provider. He will need to have money in his account in order to make any calls. A local (15 minute) call will cost him $.90 ($.06 per minute), a long distance (15 minute) call will cost him $3.45 ($.23 per minute). If you plan to talk to him a lot, then it may be cheaper to get a cheap cell phone with a local Atlanta phone number.

Email is the same way - he will use the money in his account to pay for emails on his end ($.06 per minute of computer usage). The emails are free for you. You will need to give him your email address so he can have Corrlinks send you a request to add him.

If/when you decide to visit, give me a holler and I can give you some advice on where to stay, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SadTodd For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-11-2013), TySouthernBell (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadTodd View Post
Phone calls in the federal prisons work differently than state or county. There is no phone provider. He will need to have money in his account in order to make any calls. A local (15 minute) call will cost him $.90 ($.06 per minute), a long distance (15 minute) call will cost him $3.45 ($.23 per minute). If you plan to talk to him a lot, then it may be cheaper to get a cheap cell phone with a local Atlanta phone number.

Email is the same way - he will use the money in his account to pay for emails on his end ($.06 per minute of computer usage). The emails are free for you. You will need to give him your email address so he can have Corrlinks send you a request to add him.

If/when you decide to visit, give me a holler and I can give you some advice on where to stay, etc.
Thanks for the info. Basically I will receive some type of correspondence once he receives approval. Just wanted to be sure I didn't need to do anything about a phone provider. I already registered with corrlinks he sent an approval email yesterday. Thanks for the offer on places to stay but the good news is we live only an hour away so to drive there and back wouldn't be much of a problem. Thanks again I don't like not knowing what's going on. I just want to know he's ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to TySouthernBell For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 06:55 AM

USP Atlanta has a problem of putting everyone who gets there right into the SHU, so he may have limited access to Phone and Computer for the first 10 days..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wittycow For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-11-2013), TySouthernBell (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

You don't need to do anything on your end to receive telephone calls (except if he calls you collect, your cellphone or landline must be able to accept them). You already did the only thing required to send & receive emails. He sent the invitation to you, and you replied to it.

When he is able to access the prison phones & inmate email computer, he will be able to contact you.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Downtheline

I am posting from my phone and cannot find the new thread option. Is there any new info on USP Atlanta? I hear it is a medium now and my friend is wanting to go there for the Unicors. Are they still operational? What kind of crafts are available?

Thank you...
Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 PM
The Mrs

Cool

Yes they have Unicor here at USP Atlanta medium. Not for camp people. My husband works Unicor sewing mattresses. Of course they get like 90 cents an hour but it makes his time go quicker. To get into Unicor you have to have 1-3 years of good behavior. My husband hates this FCI prison so he likes to work because it takes his mind off all the prison politics and drama that he can't stand since he has done 13 years USP time. FCI was a real adjustment
for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to catxlipstick For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-17-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catxlipstick View Post
Yes they have Unicor here at USP Atlanta medium. Not for camp people. My husband works Unicor sewing mattresses. Of course they get like 90 cents an hour but it makes his time go quicker. To get into Unicor you have to have 1-3 years of good behavior. My husband hates this FCI prison so he likes to work because it takes his mind off all the prison politics and drama that he can't stand since he has done 13 years USP time. FCI was a real adjustment
for him.
I kno wat u mean my husband got transfer from tht prison in April of dis yr now he at a prison stay lockdown but whn I use to go there I hated tht prison myself dont let someone get a virus the hole prison goes on lockdown but good luck
Old 04-21-2016, 06:46 PM

Default USP Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJFL View Post
Atlanta, is overcrowded. It is a holdover for alot of inmates that are transferring. My sweetheart was there and did not like it at all, but that was years ago.
Hey. Can you tell me how the visitation work at USP Atlanta? I'll be visiting my friend guy for the first time in June and don't know what to expect? He told me be there by 8 so I can get in. Is it a hard process? Will he be in the visitation room waiting or will I be there when they bring him in?
Old 04-22-2016, 06:58 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. Here's a link to the bop's USP Atlanta web page containing their visiting rules.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/atl/

Who arrives in the visiting room first will depend on how the processing goes. Usually the inmate isn't notified of a visitor until they have already checked in, so the inmate's inspection usually ends up being last.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:46 AM

Who arrives in the visiting room first will depend on how the processing goes. Usually the inmate isn't notified of a visitor until they have already checked in, so the inmate's inspection usually ends up being last.[/quote]

Well thank you for the reply. This will be my first time ever visiting someone in prison so it's all new to me that's why I was asking how does it work. Are you able to sit close to each other? How's the dress code? Will jeans and a cute shirt with sleeves and some sneakers work? Also what time do you suggest I get there? When I arrive is there a certain gate or entrance to go through?
Old 04-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I was there for 28 days. Holdovers weren't allowed visitors until after 30 days. My family was planning to visit from Florida when oops, I was in Oklahoma, not Atlanta any more. What that means is I don't have answers to your visiting room questions, sorry.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:48 PM

Default USP Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbrowneyes View Post
I kno wat u mean my husband got transfer from tht prison in April of dis yr now he at a prison stay lockdown but whn I use to go there I hated tht prison myself dont let someone get a virus the hole prison goes on lockdown but good luck
Hey. Can you tell me how the visitation work at USP Atlanta? I'll be visiting my friend guy for the first time in June and don't know what to expect? He told me be there by 8 so I can get in. Is it a hard process? Will he be in the visitation room waiting or will I be there when they bring him in?
Old 04-28-2016, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbiedoll89 View Post
Hey Barbiedoll,

It has been a couple of years since I visited my boyfriend at Atlanta USP, but I can't imagine that too much has changed.

When you get to town, scout out the area of the prison the night before, so you know where to go. It isn't really obvious, and they don't have any signs directing you where to go.

When you pull in to the prison "campus", take the first immediate right, which takes you in to a parking lot (I think it is an employee parking lot). Keep going through that parking lot, and out the back, and hang a left. This will take you down a little hill with some angle parking, and a little further, off to the right, is a small parking lot. You can park in either of those.

From the angled parking spaces, walk down the hill, and look to your left. There is an unmarked covered entryway (or at least it used to be unmarked). The visitor entrance is at the end of that (maybe 15-20 feet) covered hallway. It is not very obvious, but you will probably see other people walking towards it, or already standing in line.

Get there before 8 (probably closer to 7:30-7:45), so you can stand in line so you can get in right away. The first 10-15 people get through pretty quickly, but it starts to back up after that.

The process to check in is pretty simple. Have your driver's license or passport (ID with your photo on it), and one other item with your name on it (I always used a credit card). I'm not sure why they require a 2nd item like that, none of the other prisons I have been to ask for it. There will be paper forms to fill out. You will need to know your inmate's name and BOP number, your name and address, your car year, make and model, and your car's license number. If you aren't sure what to do, just ask some of the other visitors, they are always helpful.

Dress code is usually pretty flexible (depending on which CO is working). Don't wear anything tan/khaki or camouflage. Don't wear anything that shows a lot of cleavage. Don't wear anything skin tight. Don't wear "tights" or leggings. Don't wear a short skirt. Don't wear shorts. Don't wear flip flops or sandals.

My number one tip: ALWAYS keep a spare set of "conservative" clothes in your car, just in case. How lenient they are with dress code depends entirely upon which CO is working that day. (Female COs tend to be the strictest with women visitors). If they reject what you are wearing, you'll want to be able to go to your car and grab something to change in to, rather than have to run back to your hotel.

After they check your paperwork, they will call you up to go through the metal detector. Same as the airport, take off anything metal, go through, try not to buzz. They may pick you randomly to swab your license and send it through the ion scanner to check for drugs. Don't sweat that too much, I have NEVER seen anyone set off the ion scanner.

You will not be allowed to take your phone, wallet, keys, jackets, etc. in with you. They have lockers there to put your keys in. You are supposed to leave everything else in the car. You can take money in to use in the vending machines. Take lots of ones and quarters, because often the machines will be on "exact change only" mode. You need to have the money in a clear plastic bag (ziplock bag). I think the limit is supposed to be $20, but if you have more paper money in your pocket, they have no way of knowing.

They take people up in small groups. Walk down the hall, ride up the elevator, walk down another hall, and in to the visitor room. There will be a couple of security "doors" where you will all cram in to a small little room with doors on both ends. You have to wait for everyone to fit in the room, with both doors locked, before they will buzz the 2nd door open. Just follow the group and do what everyone else does. It's about a 5 minute trip.

In the visitor room, they will direct you where to sit. You will usually get there before your inmate does, but not always. You are allowed a hug and a kiss at the beginning of the visit and another one at the end.

The seating is a lot like the seating at an airport waiting area. Long rows of side by side seats. You will be seated across from your inmate, just far enough away that you will have to lean forward to be able to talk easily (the room gets kind of noisy). Most of the time you can hold hands while you are talking, but some COs will tell you no touching. It's luck of the draw what kind of CO you will get. But in general the COs are pretty friendly and professional.

They MAY allow you to sit next to your inmate - ask a CO or watch how other visitors are sitting. I know that when an inmate has more than one or two people visiting him, some of the visitors sit on the same side as him.

There are vending machines with food, but they run out of the good stuff early, so go and grab what you want as soon as you get there (especially if you are waiting for your inmate anyway). You can always just leave it sitting and warm it up to eat later. Remember that your inmate has been eating crap food, and the vending machine food will seem gourmet to him. It will be very easy to blow through the $20 on vending machine food.

Enjoy your visit. The day passes way faster than you ever thought it would!

I'm assuming you are traveling to Atlanta for the visit? Be sure and check the neighborhood where your hotel is. There are a LOT of bad areas in Atlanta. Do NOT stay anywhere close to the prison, it is NOT in a good area.
The Following User Says Thank You to SadTodd For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadTodd View Post
Hey Barbiedoll,

It has been a couple of years since I visited my boyfriend at Atlanta USP, but I can't imagine that too much has changed.

When you get to town, scout out the area of the prison the night before, so you know where to go. It isn't really obvious, and they don't have any signs directing you where to go.

When you pull in to the prison "campus", take the first immediate right, which takes you in to a parking lot (I think it is an employee parking lot). Keep going through that parking lot, and out the back, and hang a left. This will take you down a little hill with some angle parking, and a little further, off to the right, is a small parking lot. You can park in either of those.

From the angled parking spaces, walk down the hill, and look to your left. There is an unmarked covered entryway (or at least it used to be unmarked). The visitor entrance is at the end of that (maybe 15-20 feet) covered hallway. It is not very obvious, but you will probably see other people walking towards it, or already standing in line.

Get there before 8 (probably closer to 7:30-7:45), so you can stand in line so you can get in right away. The first 10-15 people get through pretty quickly, but it starts to back up after that.

The process to check in is pretty simple. Have your driver's license or passport (ID with your photo on it), and one other item with your name on it (I always used a credit card). I'm not sure why they require a 2nd item like that, none of the other prisons I have been to ask for it. There will be paper forms to fill out. You will need to know your inmate's name and BOP number, your name and address, your car year, make and model, and your car's license number. If you aren't sure what to do, just ask some of the other visitors, they are always helpful.

Dress code is usually pretty flexible (depending on which CO is working). Don't wear anything tan/khaki or camouflage. Don't wear anything that shows a lot of cleavage. Don't wear anything skin tight. Don't wear "tights" or leggings. Don't wear a short skirt. Don't wear shorts. Don't wear flip flops or sandals.

My number one tip: ALWAYS keep a spare set of "conservative" clothes in your car, just in case. How lenient they are with dress code depends entirely upon which CO is working that day. (Female COs tend to be the strictest with women visitors). If they reject what you are wearing, you'll want to be able to go to your car and grab something to change in to, rather than have to run back to your hotel.

After they check your paperwork, they will call you up to go through the metal detector. Same as the airport, take off anything metal, go through, try not to buzz. They may pick you randomly to swab your license and send it through the ion scanner to check for drugs. Don't sweat that too much, I have NEVER seen anyone set off the ion scanner.

You will not be allowed to take your phone, wallet, keys, jackets, etc. in with you. They have lockers there to put your keys in. You are supposed to leave everything else in the car. You can take money in to use in the vending machines. Take lots of ones and quarters, because often the machines will be on "exact change only" mode. You need to have the money in a clear plastic bag (ziplock bag). I think the limit is supposed to be $20, but if you have more paper money in your pocket, they have no way of knowing.

They take people up in small groups. Walk down the hall, ride up the elevator, walk down another hall, and in to the visitor room. There will be a couple of security "doors" where you will all cram in to a small little room with doors on both ends. You have to wait for everyone to fit in the room, with both doors locked, before they will buzz the 2nd door open. Just follow the group and do what everyone else does. It's about a 5 minute trip.

In the visitor room, they will direct you where to sit. You will usually get there before your inmate does, but not always. You are allowed a hug and a kiss at the beginning of the visit and another one at the end.

The seating is a lot like the seating at an airport waiting area. Long rows of side by side seats. You will be seated across from your inmate, just far enough away that you will have to lean forward to be able to talk easily (the room gets kind of noisy). Most of the time you can hold hands while you are talking, but some COs will tell you no touching. It's luck of the draw what kind of CO you will get. But in general the COs are pretty friendly and professional.

They MAY allow you to sit next to your inmate - ask a CO or watch how other visitors are sitting. I know that when an inmate has more than one or two people visiting him, some of the visitors sit on the same side as him.

There are vending machines with food, but they run out of the good stuff early, so go and grab what you want as soon as you get there (especially if you are waiting for your inmate anyway). You can always just leave it sitting and warm it up to eat later. Remember that your inmate has been eating crap food, and the vending machine food will seem gourmet to him. It will be very easy to blow through the $20 on vending machine food.

Enjoy your visit. The day passes way faster than you ever thought it would!

I'm assuming you are traveling to Atlanta for the visit? Be sure and check the neighborhood where your hotel is. There are a LOT of bad areas in Atlanta. Do NOT stay anywhere close to the prison, it is NOT in a good area.
Hey,
Thank you so much for the reply. It was very helpful. Yes I will be driving to Atlanta in June to make my first visit. He's been at USP Atlanta for a some months now. I'm going to visit on a Saturday morning. I will make sure to have proper identification and I will try and arrive before or by 7:45. It's my first time ever visiting someone in prison so I'm kind of nervous plus I will be alone. I will probably wear jeans, cute shirt with sleeves and some sneakers. I will all jewelry and cell phone in the car. Do you think it will be okay if I write his information (like his number)down on paper so I will remember? I looked the prison up online and it did say it was in a pretty bad neighborhood. Where should I get a hotel room at?? I actually had booked a room in Buckhead so I can make sure I have one that weekend. I don't want to have to drive over 20 or 30 minutes to the prison but I want to stay in a upscale hotel. Are you allowed to hug once the inmate comes out? Also, once I go through the check in process and they escort us into the visitor room, will the inmates already be there? Or will they bring them out after they have placed us in the room? So the inmates are allowed to have snacks out the vendor machine? Do the inmates all come out at once or one by one? I plan to visit from 8-12. When I'm ready to leave, how does that process work? I'm sorry that I have so many questions, but all of this is new do me and I just want to be sure I'm doing everything right. Thanks a lot. By the way, is your boyfriend still at USP Atlanta?
Old 04-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I can answer a couple of your questions. You are allowed a hug at the beginning, and at the end of your visit. The inmate can eat vending machine food, but you have to purchase it and carry it to him, he can not go to the machines himself. When you want to leave, stand up and tell the CO at the main desk.

The others depend on the actual prison, and the COs on duty. Once you arrive, the prison will announce that he has a visitor through their speaker system, and also call the CO in his housing unit. When he is located, he will go to the visiting room and be searched by the CO there, one inmate at a time, so in most cases you will end up waiting for him. If he knows you are coming, he can tell his CO and be easily found when you do arrive.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 04-28-2016 at 01:42 PM..