Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,816 Times in 1,599 Posts

I'm moving his to the Federal Prison Forums with a re-direct from Georgia. You will find a lot more information in the Federal forums. You can also do a site search for USP Atlanta.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msclark35 View Post
Hi, I have posted several listing about information on United States Penitentiary, Atlant Georgia ( USP Atlant Georgia) what kind of instituiton is this???? There seems to be NO information except whats on the BOP website. Does anyone not have a loved on here? if not then maybe I can get directed to a website that supports families elsewhere. This is such a big distance from Ohio, honestly I dont know if a visit will even be possible however if I do get out there I would like to hear from others if they know anything about this place???? visiting, the facility itself, the co's etc..anything!!!!
My love one was just sent there a couple of day's ago........ I will be coming further than you, I'm on the west coast, If you have visit at other federal prison it is basically the same, I hope you find what you need.

Last edited by CRYBABY05; 06-27-2008 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: spelling error
The Following User Says Thank You to CRYBABY05 For This Useful Post:
msclark35 (06-27-2008)
Old 06-27-2008, 04:55 PM

Your Welcome
Old 10-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Default Federal Prison Camp Atlanta Georgia

HELLO EVERYONE,
I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND GO MONTHLY TO VISIT THE ATLANTA GEORGIA CAMP. I'M GOING BROKE ON AIRFARE, HOTELS, ETC. ANYONE INTERESTED IN SHARING GAS, MOTEL ETC? THE CAMP IS NEXT DOOR TO THE USP, SO YOU COULD VISIT AT EITHER ONE. ALSO ANYONE HAVE INFO ABOUT THE CAMP? THANKS FOR ANY FEEDBACK YOU CAN GIVE ME.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 AM

Default About usp atlanta

hello, i would like to know if anyone knows about usp atlanta if so could you tell me if the airport and hotels are close by thank u ................ Have a bless one
Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 PM

Default USP Atlanta Locatioon

Just now seeing this thread. My SO was in Atlanta Prison Camp for a year which is right next door to the USP building. It is located right off of the I-20 and/orI-285. It is very close to the airport maybe 15 minutes or so. So it would be good to stay by the airport than near the prison. The hotels near the prison are not that nice and its not that nice of an area either. Safe travels!!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 PM
I love him with my all!!!

Thanked 2,053 Times in 945 Posts

I know the Atlanta is no longer a USP they just have it on the bop website it is now a FCI.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:24 PM

Hello!!! The camp at atlanta is very good but the usp is the pits!!! It is the oldest federal prison in the country. When you go to it the first time you feel as though you are going to a dungeon or something. My guy was at the camp and recently had words with a counselor and filed a grievance. They put him in the shu for 3 months and now they are transferring him to god knows where. The camp guards are nice and it's clean etc. But the usp is going to be quite an experience for you. Brace yourself and remember after the 1st visit it won't be as bad the next time. I go there quite often (from michigan). I stay off of i20 by exit 47. It's about 20 minutes from the prison and the airport. Hope this helps!!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Default Atlanta USP

Is the Atlanta facility a holdover facility? for instance if an inmate is transferred from an FCI in SC to Atlanta is he likely to end up somewhere else? Thanks in advance
Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 PM

Usp atlanta is the oldest prison in the country. It houses about 1500 inmates. My husband has been there for about a year. Most people that end up there stay there until they are eligible for transfer to a lower security. Also you have to stay there for eighteen months before eligible for a transfer unless the bop decides to move you on their own accord.
The Following User Says Thank You to badwsc For This Useful Post:
QuinnsMama (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 12:51 AM

Yes, USP Atlanta is used for a holdover facility for inmates being transferred from one prison to another. My husband has been transferred several times. When he was transferred from USP Big Sandy in KY to FCI Bennettsville in SC he was held over in ATL for approx. 7 days.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 AM

Default USP Atlanta...Please Help

Hope everyone is well, I apologise in advance if this question has been asked before but I have gone through this forum so many times and still can't find anything. I'm wondering if any of you could help me with the mail regulations at this prison, or maybe a link to where I can read them. Every bit of information would be appreciated, from how many pictures in one envelope, the actual guidelines for the content of the pictures to what's the biggest size envelope...any little info would help me. I know I could just call the prison and find out but as you can see I'm on a different continent so having them put me on hold would be very costly. What can and can't I send? Thanks again....
Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 AM

http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/atl/index.jsp

There is a link for "contact information."
The Following User Says Thank You to aspall For This Useful Post:
ShOrTy777 (06-29-2009)
Old 06-29-2009, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the link, I've emailed them but no help at all that's why I wanted someone who has a friend or loved one in there and knows the rules already. Just to brief me on it coz it's his birthday soon and I don't anything being rejected.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

I would say don't send a photo or envelope larger than 8-1/2 by 11". Content of photo? You cannot send any photographs that show the private parts (including bare breasts) or complete nudity. Not sure about the number of photos. I've sent 10 before. Those rules are pretty much the same across the institutions - that's my understanding.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
ShOrTy777 (07-05-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 05:13 AM

Thank you so much, I'm also guessing no pictures containing any gang affiliation, drugs, weapons etc. probably no pictures of tattoos either right? I wasn't planning to send any of this but I just needed to know as I don't want my mail being rejected coz it does take such a long time to get there. Still thank you very much for all your help Zelda.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:41 PM

Hi, my husband is in usp atlanta, i have sent him about 50 pictures the past few months. I send 3 per letter i send him. Just standard developed pictures. We've never had any problems. However.... I am still awaiting letters from 3 weeks ago. I was getting them right on time. Now all at once, i'm not getting anything. Last month i got a letter that was postmarked april 21, so i'm not a fan of my mail carrier right now. Don't know who's fault, but mail somewhere between him and me is not being properly handled.
The Following User Says Thank You to badwsc For This Useful Post:
ShOrTy777 (07-05-2009)
Old 09-08-2009, 06:09 AM

Default Atlanta Federal Prison and the BOP

I have successfully found who I was looking for under the prison locator website. He was listed under his real name. The information was a little confusing, because he is deceased and dates were not given as to when he arrived at the prison or when he died.

I have his registration number, which I read was based on his birthday--I couldn't figure that out either.

It did state he was 48 years old, which is impossible if he died on 12/9/2002. He would have been much, much older. So, does that mean he entered the prison at the age of 48?

He was released from "somewhere" in 1995 only to end up dead at the Atlanta Prison in 2002 of a massive heart attack.

Does anyone know where I can find the answers to my questions?

Thank you for any and all help.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Default Atlanta Federal Prison

I would like more information on this prison. Was it always a federal prison? Is anyone here that has done time there? I hear it is a medium security or half way house now. Was it federal in 2002?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Default atlanta usp and camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_macaws View Post
I would like more information on this prison. Was it always a federal prison? Is anyone here that has done time there? I hear it is a medium security or half way house now. Was it federal in 2002?
hi,
atlanta has a usp and a camp. they are not nice places. lazy, beligerant staff and they do not go by the rules. the usp is over 100 yrs old and is well known for being the worst accomodations in the federal system. it is filthy, cold in winter, and always damp. it is a maximum security prison. it's supposed to be a medium but they have never changed it over yet. the camp is a nicer facility but the staff there is really bad. we had some really bad experiences there. if you have specific questions or something in particular you want to find out i might be able to help you. i went round and round with both places over the ay they did my guy. feel free to pm me anytime. good luck!!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Anthony loves me alot

You should probably call the region where he was last at. If you are family they will give you information. But usually if they are dead it will say it where the release date would have been.

Good Luck~
Old 09-17-2009, 03:17 PM

Default Questions: Atlanta Federal Prison Camp

My husband is at the Atl. Federal Prison Camp as of 09.05.09. I have a couple of questions, if anyone could answer I would very much appreciate it.
Is there a limit on how much money he can have in his account?
Is there a limit on how much he can spend in a certain amount of time? If so, does anyone know this limit?
Does the charge for phone calls count against that limit?
How much are phone charges? How often can he call and for how long at a time?
I know I'll have lots of questions but right now I'm just kind of numb and totally lost without my husband so any info on how the place is run, the conditions they stay in, anything at all would be appreciated.
I'll be checking back here often or feel free to email me any details you can offer.

Thank you!
Old 10-04-2009, 08:13 PM

Default Atl Camp

My SO was in the Atl camp a little over a year ago. There is no maximum amt. he can keep on his books. They get 300 minutes a month to talk on the phone. Visitation was quite easy and it was laid back atmosphere as far as prisons go !
Old 10-04-2009, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to visit for the first time this upcoming weekend. I'm sort of nervous as I have no idea what to expect.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_macaws View Post
I have successfully found who I was looking for under the prison locator website. He was listed under his real name. The information was a little confusing, because he is deceased and dates were not given as to when he arrived at the prison or when he died.

I have his registration number, which I read was based on his birthday--I couldn't figure that out either.

It did state he was 48 years old, which is impossible if he died on 12/9/2002. He would have been much, much older. So, does that mean he entered the prison at the age of 48?

He was released from "somewhere" in 1995 only to end up dead at the Atlanta Prison in 2002 of a massive heart attack.

Does anyone know where I can find the answers to my questions?

Thank you for any and all help.
FWIW, my age as listed on the Inmate Locator is my current age. Not when I started or finished my sentence. Also, my understanding was that the prisoner number is not based on birthday. The three digits after the hyphen correlate to the sentencing district, like a code. The first five digits are assigned to new inmates sequentially by district. For example, if my inmate number is 12345-678, then I would be the 12,345th person to be sentenced by the judicial district represented by '678'. A couple other notes, the number is for life, so if I re-offend, I would not be issued a new number, even if I offend in a different district than my first.

I can't figure out the age conflict. My only thought is that if the age shown on the site is older than he would be today, then perhaps it's someone else by that name ? I either case, I'm sorry for your loss. It's doubly painful to lose loved ones while they are incarcerated.

edit: I wasn't clear above, but I'm fairly certain someone who is sentenced, but not to imprisonment, does not get issued an inmate number.

Last edited by Elkton; 11-09-2009 at 03:21 AM..