Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

View Poll Results: how do i get to elkton prison from new york?
transportation from new york to elkton prison 2 100.00%
how do i get to elkton prison from new york? 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 PM

Thanked 4,123 Times in 1,529 Posts

They don't put you in the hole for nothing. There has to be a rason. If he just got there, Did he get into a fight with someone? I don't no the answer, but I wouldn't think it would be because they have no beds.
It will take a while for him to call.
Keep us posted I have a brother there also. He hasn't been in any trouble, said food was terrible. How long does he have?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2007, 09:37 PM

I don't think that he would lie to me for no reason about the hole. I thought that the hole was solitary, and he's in there with two other people. He and I have talked over and over about him keeping his cool...I can't imagine that he would do something to be thrown in there. He was looking forward to getting there because the holding jail he was transferred from was so bad. Maybe he did do something and is afraid to tell me. I honestly don't think he would do anything to jeopardize his ability to talk to his family though. Do they let them exercise and get fresh air? I know the last place he was at they were stuck inside 24/7 and everyone kept getting sick. Also, I know this is probably a silly question, but do they let them eat fruit and stuff?
Old 04-21-2007, 07:19 AM

yes they can buy some fruit from the commisary. If he is in the hole he can't buy anything. I just can't answer that. If my brother calls me this morning I will ask him and post it. I will ask him if they put people there because they have no room. If he is not there for discpline problem i would think he could call you. If you are just his girlfriend and not family it could take longer to call. He will have to send a list out to not relatives to fill out for a visit. If he has money and turned in his phone list.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:21 AM

sorry-- hit send--
If he has money and turned in his phone list it has to get approved. So it can take a few weeks. Ours did for my brother to call us.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:58 AM

Brother just called he said, That they are so over crowed People are in the HOLE!! So don't worry he is ok. Also He said they can get commissary, if they have money in the account. He said that they got 50 more in yesterday.
There is about 2000 in all. That there are only 2 beds to a cell in the hole.
I hope this easies your fear some.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:45 AM

2000 Population there??? I'm going to look up capacity. They have to be busting at the seams. I know my husband says it has been awful there lately - not that is was ever very good.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:57 AM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

I spent 2 months in the hole at Elkton when I first arrived because of no bed space. There is a limited commissary list for those that are in for administrative reasons. Rec is one hour a day in a tiny fenced in area with nothing in it and it is usually at 5 or 6 in the morning. They do bring around a book cart with a limited amount of books to read.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:17 AM

Wow - I didnt realize that it was so overcrowded but my husband never complains about anything. It makes me sick to my stomach how overcrowded ALL prisons are and the govt does nothing about it.

Have you heard from him yet Barlow?

Cantbe - did you find out what capacity is?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 PM

You can go to the bop site and see the weekly cenus might have it there, or should say pn information on the facility It was 1800 back in Sept.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 AM

Wow! You all are so helpful and I appreciate it so much. I feel all alone here, he doesn't want me to tell his immediate family how they are treating him. They are elderly and it would just tear them up. He said he is sleeping on a mat on the floor next to a toilet! It makes me so mad. I've received three letters so far and have sent him one everyday. I also sent him a softcover book. I called the prison and they said that was okay. I also asked if he was in the holding area and they were like, "that's classified information". Why?? Because they don't want a lawsuit?? Something about this has to be illegal. I called his lawyer this morning but I don't know how much he can do about it. Again, I don't know what I would do without this message board.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:18 PM

BarlowScout - there are a few of us here with loved ones at Elkton - we all try to help one another with info when we can -

Treyswifey - Elkton is at 1952 for population right now - i'm looking for the book i have that gives the capacity for all the federal prisons - i know 1952 is pretty high if i remember correctly - i'll look for the book again as soon as i log off and report back.

i think it's great for us we have some dialogue between several of us on Elkton - maybe we can keep it up and ask for our own thread. i know it helps me when i see something from one of you about that h**l hole.

i keep all of you and your loved ones in my prayers.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:30 PM

He i am also in this I have a brother there. The capacity was 1,956 as of 17 April. The camp had 623 They also got more in last Friday.
It is close to 1,800 cap. Camp is 500.
I am glad to see you all posting more. It has been along 7 mo for me. No one knew anything about Elkton when I came on. It is one of the most kept secret places. Maybe that is good. I hope it is. It sure rates high on the list for prisoners population.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:01 PM

Hello all, I hope everyone is doing all right. No letter today but I'm hoping he's doing all right. I'm also thinking that they should be releasing some inmates soon so that the ones that just arrived can move out of the hole. boflipflops - your brother said that they are way over capacity right? Your posts with his insight is helpful into the situation with my fiance.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:36 PM

If he calls me again this week I will ask him again, How is things. He is 54 yrs old so he stays away from trouble. I am hoping he gets to go to camp. He said he has another team meeting in June. If you go up to see him there are some hotels near there that is resonable. Just check my posting or pm me anytime. I have 34 more months of the waiting. I am 70yrs old so I guess I am the Eldery One!!! If I live I will be almost 74 when he gets out.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 AM

My brother just called a few min ago, he said they were talking about putting beds in the halls. There is people coming and going, everyday. Also he heard Fort Dix was closing?? Everything is ok there just got a lot of people. I just don't get it. They are sending people from one prison to another that is overcrowed and then overcrowed another one!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM

Boflipflops, thanks for keeping us all updated on this crazy situation. I received two letters from my fiance today. I sent him a letter last Wed, thurs, fri, sat, this mon, yesterday, and today. As of last Friday evening, he still has not gotten any of them. I get his letters two days after he sends them. Two went out monday and I got them both today, wed. I address the letters how they say to with his number and everything. I'm thinking that they screen all letters so he must have gotten some on Monday. I'm in va so I know it probably takes a few days. If he hasn't gotten any of my letters I don't know what I'm going to do. He thinks that I haven't been trying. Ugh, if we could just speak on the phone everything would be much better!! This is all so frustrating. When he was in a jail here I could send out a letter and he would get it the next day. I'm just wondering how long it takes your brother to get your letters? Or if anyone is here knows how long it takes. He may have gotten them on Monday, I just don't know right now. Hopefully they will move him to a hallway bed this week. He says that the CO's are always saying different things, like some say they will be moved on this week, others say in a month. I guess they don't really know. Just to keep praying is all we can do!!
Old 04-26-2007, 06:38 PM

is anyone going to visit next weekend?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:24 PM
eagerstever

When I was in FCI Elkton it was grossly overpopulated. The SHU was being used for an alternative housing unit and Incident Reports were being issued for something as little as having a battery pack on your radio. It is not uncommon for new arrivals to this institution to be held in Administrative Confinement until a bed becomes available.

Commissary is limited for anyone in the SHU for ADM stuff. They can purchase only certain items off the list. It was not uncommon for 3-4 persons to be in a 2 man cell in the SHU. I was locked up during a food strike and there was 4 of us in a cell for almost 2 weeks. The posted population generally does not include the SHU population. Guys in the kitchen used to see how many inmates were on the sheet compared to the amount claimed on the BOP population report. It was always off by appx. 200.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:53 PM

I got another letter from him today. He said that everytime an inmate from the compound gets in trouble and gets thrown down there, someone waiting for a bed moves on in. He said his cell mates are clean and religious, so I guess that's a plus. Once he gets moved to the compound things will be a little better right??

Are all prisons as overpopulated as Elkton?

~Nelly Furtado, "Wait for you"

Old 04-27-2007, 10:02 AM

They are all overpopulated. Fort Dix is like a small city. I am so sorry Barlow that he is still in SHU. This is making me really sad. I dont think they really are overly concerned with moving people out of SHU or moving people out of there in general.

As far as the mail goes, I live in Maine. Sometimes it takes a week, sometimes it takes two days for his mail to get to me. I swear that they do not mail the mail out everyday. I really hope he gets out of the SHU soon.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:28 PM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverbeaver
When I was in FCI Elkton it was grossly overpopulated. The SHU was being used for an alternative housing unit and Incident Reports were being issued for something as little as having a battery pack on your radio. It is not uncommon for new arrivals to this institution to be held in Administrative Confinement until a bed becomes available.

Commissary is limited for anyone in the SHU for ADM stuff. They can purchase only certain items off the list. It was not uncommon for 3-4 persons to be in a 2 man cell in the SHU. I was locked up during a food strike and there was 4 of us in a cell for almost 2 weeks. The posted population generally does not include the SHU population. Guys in the kitchen used to see how many inmates were on the sheet compared to the amount claimed on the BOP population report. It was always off by appx. 200.
When were you at Elkton. I am in Michigan as well and I was in Elkton from 11-99 to 5-01. It sounds like it is as bad as it was then if not worse.

Ladies: You have to remember the mail doesnt go there and immediately get distributed. They open and read all the incoming mail and depending on the staff and how far behind they are, it can take 3 to 10 days sometimes to get mail. Elkton has always been overcrowded from day one. It was built as a pilot program to prove that BOP could run a prison as cheaply as a privately run prison. I dont know if things are still the same but when I arrived there I spent almost 2 mos in the hole waiting for a bed. When I finally hit the compound I was amazed to find out that all of the prison issue clothes I received were used, including the boxer shorts and t shirts. the only things that were new were socks and the boots that weighed about 10lbs each. The TP they issue was factory junk seconds and thirds and was awful. The warden at that time had to skimp on everything to make the bottom line look good. The more peple he could squeeze in, the higher the budget would be for him. It doesnt sound like much has changed since then.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:58 PM

Hey outraged, by TP, I'm assuming you mean toilet paper?? Also, some guys told my fiance that before he went to the feds they would make him buy defected nikes? Is this true or do they wear boots like you said. He also said in his letters that the inmates that went to the barber were getting weird bumps on their necks. Also, a staph infection is going around probably from the razor. How pleasant. He is staying very far away from the barber he said. Elkton really seems to slack on the mail issue. other prisons don't take that long to get things done. it's so lame.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:21 PM

I think my brother will call in the morning. He calls me on saturday or sunday.
I will let you no how things are going. He said there was only 2 beds so 3 people in the hole one sleeps own the floor he said. Also that they were suppose to get a new warden soon. Could be a rumor but he seem to think this time they are.
Also he gets his mail sometimes in 4 days from Alabama. I no one time it was a month before he was give a card I sent, and that was just a few weeks ago. He bought new tennis shoes new balance. He also said that they were beginning to start ball playing, soccer, different sports, so people would get out more in the yard. He don't get out much. I sort a think for a reason. I don't no, he hasn't said. I just no he is cautious. He sees nothing nos nothing and want take nothing! Tell your boyfriend to not OWE no one their.
My prayers are with all of them. We are all ok. We have our freedom. But also need to pray for strenght to help them thru this.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:18 PM

Hi Ladies - finally found my book - Elkton capacity is 1534 beds for the FCI and 512 for the Camp. I'm sure by now they claim their capacity as much higher by adding beds to each cubicle.

I find that the mail is very sporadic. Sometimes my husband gets my mail in a few days. Some cards I've sent have taken much longer. I typically get his mail 3 or 4 days after he sends

I think I'm heading to Elkton for a visit next week but I'm not sure which day. Anyone else going soon???????? It's an 8 hour drive there for me.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Yeah, my fiance got my letters all mixed up, like one I sent on Wed came after the one I sent on thurs. ??? He doesn't talk to anyone really, mainly does his own thing. just listens to his walkman, reads, and writes to me. He just can't wait to get out of the hole and start being more productive and getting the time to go by faster. he says they are almost done with the bus that got there before him so hopefully he will be out of there soon. He also went to the doctor and got all checked out.

I also wanted to say it's great how we all help each other out on here. Or how you all have eased my mind since I'm new at this.

thanks!