Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Hazelton Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hazelton Federal Prisons Topics and discussion specific to the federal prisons - Hazelton in Bruceton Mills, West Virginia.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 AM

Default SFF Address

I hope I can dispell some Hazeltonian confusion. USP Hazleton is a complex, and not one address for mail. When the BOP locator shows someone being at Hazelton, they only show the designation as USP Hazelton. Yet Hazelton actually has three components. The BOP web site is simply incomplete. The actual main USP Haz is max security for males only, and their address is PO Box 2000, USP Haz. 26525, as posted on the web site. But what the BOP website also lists simply as USP Hazelton also includes a min. security "camp" for males only, and a secure female facility (SFF) that are not the same, either in security designation, sexual occupancy, or mailing address, as is the male max USP. Any female at Haz MUST be at the SFF, period. No females are at either the camp or the main USP. Unfortunately, the "SFF" designation is not even a published designation on the arcane BOP website,and they have made no effort to define it or to clarify this confusion. So do not think, for one minute, that your female loved one at Haz is being put into a max security male USP prison simply because she is designated on the BOP locator as being as USP Hazelton. BOP unfortunately uses the term USP Hazelton as the general designation of all those in the entire HAZ complex, but it does NOT designate actual location, security level or mailing addresss for anyone there. They could be, if male, in either the USP or the camp.
but if female, trust me, NO females at Hazelton are at the main Prison (USP) there, or at the camp (there is NO female camp at Haz, periiod), and all females at the SFF have this address:
NAME, BOP No.
SFF Hazelton
PO Box 3000
Bruceton Mills, WV 26525

Sending mail to PO 2000 is not the correct address for any female inmate.

Last edited by robertegarrett; 03-05-2008 at 03:02 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2008, 08:34 PM

Update on motel accomodatios:
There is a new motel directly across from the entrance to USP/SFF Hazelton. It is on Casteel Rd. It is called Microtel Inn. The phone mumber is 304-379-7900. They offer free local and long distance phone calls, free wireless internet, free cable TV with HBO, and free continental breakfast. Average rate for a single is $60. Absolutely the most convenient.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:17 PM

Default Possible SFF Redesignation

A unit manager at the SFF in Hazelton has notified the female inmates that BOP will be converting the facility into a max. security facility, and that inmates with a security designation of 10 or less can expect to be sent elsewhere.
This is a big change. A little background may be helpful. There are currently NO designated max security facilities in BOP for females. Max security now (i.e., federal penetentaries) are all male facilities. An SFF is a hybrid, and currently not even an officially posted designation by BOP, and now holds female inmates at all different security levels. Apparently, BOP is re-evaluating this.
If anyone has additional info on this, please post. The impact could be widespread.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 AM

Most recent SFF Haz news.... and not good....
IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE AT SFF HAZ, READ THIS!!!!
My inmate wife was told a few weeks ago that BOP plans were to convert the current SFF into a maximum security female faciity, and those currently there with a lower security desig of 10 or less might be shipped out.
Unfortunatley, BOP does not post such information on their web site or information releases, so we, as the public loved ones, have little idea of what is going on.
But I see the tide rising, from my own recent experiences.
SFF Haz is getting much tighter, and gearing to be a Female Max!
SFF Haz was in the process, for the last six months, of setting up a UNICOR facility onsite. UNICOR is a federally contracted industry within BOP that gives inmates work opportunity at a much higher hourly rate. It was supposed to be a contract work site answering 411 information calls under contract with the telephone companies.
Well, sad to report... the expected UNICOR facility at SFF Haz has now been scrubbed, due to some kind of unspecified "contract dispute." I dont believe it. They are making changes there, on their own, and are not publishing their plans.
There has also recently been a noticable change there is security monitoring of visitors, much more akin to what is done in a max-security facility.
My wife was recently told by her unit BOP manager (and thus not just inmate rumor mill), that the SFF is going to be converted into a female max security facility, and that current inmates with security level of 10 or less migh be shipped out.
I have been visiting there for over eight months now. In the last month, security regs have been slowly ratcheted up. We can no longer take folding money into the visiting room. Cant even take in a wristwatch. They are now doing random pat-searches of visitors, which were not done before. And, the most demeaning, they now strip searh each inmate, but upon entering and exiting the visitors room. These are not idle changes.. they portend a big change in the SFF.
So all that is left are the pitiful level of any instutional jobs jobs there that pay little more than to even support a few phone calls, or a bar of decent soap from the dismal commissary.
I may be cynical, but I see much more to the thread of converting to FemaleMax and cancellation of UNICOR. This may be tied into the recent reports that SFF HAZ is being converted into a FemaleMax.
While BOP thinks it is immune from Freedom of Information (FOIA) requests, I am about to shoot out to the DOJ a FOIA request to find out what they are planning to do with OUR, and yes i repeat, OUR, taypayer money, let alone our loved-ones. Their plans are our plans, and I am going to get them.
I will keep all you SFF loved ones advised. I think that big changes are going on there that they are not telling us about, but FOIA can compel them for disclosure.

Last edited by robertegarrett; 04-09-2008 at 01:24 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to robertegarrett For This Useful Post:
doconnor (04-28-2008)
Old 04-26-2008, 11:04 AM
paradise_angel

Surrendering to Hazelton female on May 7...what should I expect the first few days...
what or how many sets of clothes are u givin?...Don't know when my $ will be available...any and all info would be greatly appreciated! I have a 15 month sentence and not sure if I am staying there the whole time or moving to halfway house in Buffalo -the last 6 months of my sentence...do u have an idea?..HELP~
Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 PM

For the first days, or maybe weeks, after you arrive, you will be in the Special HOusing Unit (SHU) while processing. That will depend on when they get your records ans establishe your custody, medical, and security status, etc. YOu get no phone, commissary, or visitation during SHU processing time. It is a higher security area, and not the place to be. After that, you go to what is called the general populatin "bus stop," which is a general, open bunking area. How llong you remain there depends upon availability and assignment to cell. Cells are double and tripe bunked, but at least out of the "bus stop." After getting into gen pop, you then need to meet with your case manager, which can take weeks, to generate your approved visitation list, apply for email, etc. So dont expect many rights in the first month there.
Report in to the the SFF (Secure Female Faciity), and NOT to the USP! It is the very first right turn about a mile up the road into the facility. As for money it is all requred to be deposited by money order sent to Des Moines Iowa, per the BOP web page instructions, but you cant use this while in the SHU. Do not take any $$ with you. They wont put it into your account through deposit from the SFF. Further, new BOP regs last year freezes all money orders sent for deposit in your account for 15 days, so if sent today, it wont be cleared until 15 days after it is received at Des Moines. So deposit it before you go in to avoid the 15 day freeze delay. Spending limit at commissary is $200 per month, and phone and email accounts are separate, so deposit $300 if you can.

Last edited by robertegarrett; 04-28-2008 at 10:46 PM..
Old 05-06-2008, 06:19 PM

Default max

have you heard anymore about it going to high security?? the prison people say it not true and just rumors....what do you know???
Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 PM

The high security issue has apparently died, and originated from an uniformed case manager there. It has proven, from statements down from the wardens office, to be just idle gossip, but unfortunately it first originated from SFF staff, so as given creditbility.
I think the rumor originated from the fact the BOP is in final contract negotiations to build a new med security male facilty on the existing Hazelton complex grounds.
That will result in no change at the SFF.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:00 PM

Default SFF Mail Label Policy

Many BOP institutions have begun implementing the new mailing label program for outgoing inmate mail, and SFF Haz has announced they will begin implementation in January, 09. Each inmate will have a list of 30 adresses they can send mail to. The list does not have to be pre-approved, but no outgoing mail will be sent unless it uses a computer generated label generated off of their mailing list.
The purpose is apparently to eliminate inmate-to-inmate mailings within BOP.
My problem with the procedure is not one of principle, it is one of practicality. Inmates must now rely upon availabilty of a computer and proper operation of printers, including being stocked with paper, before mail can be sent.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 AM

Default so what if you want to write more than 30 people?

How often can that address list be changed? I am reporting to SFF Hazelton on monday.. and while I knew the number of people you could email was limited, its news to me that they are now also limiting the number of people you can write.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 AM

Default SFF arrival expectations

So.. speaking as one who is self-reporting there on mon- if you can't use commissary and can't use phone, how can you even get stamps and paper to write? can those be mailed to you? can you still get mail like books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertegarrett View Post
For the first days, or maybe weeks, after you arrive, you will be in the Special HOusing Unit (SHU) while processing. That will depend on when they get your records ans establishe your custody, medical, and security status, etc. YOu get no phone, commissary, or visitation during SHU processing time. It is a higher security area, and not the place to be. After that, you go to what is called the general populatin "bus stop," which is a general, open bunking area. How llong you remain there depends upon availability and assignment to cell. Cells are double and tripe bunked, but at least out of the "bus stop." After getting into gen pop, you then need to meet with your case manager, which can take weeks, to generate your approved visitation list, apply for email, etc. So dont expect many rights in the first month there.
Report in to the the SFF (Secure Female Faciity), and NOT to the USP! It is the very first right turn about a mile up the road into the facility. As for money it is all requred to be deposited by money order sent to Des Moines Iowa, per the BOP web page instructions, but you cant use this while in the SHU. Do not take any $$ with you. They wont put it into your account through deposit from the SFF. Further, new BOP regs last year freezes all money orders sent for deposit in your account for 15 days, so if sent today, it wont be cleared until 15 days after it is received at Des Moines. So deposit it before you go in to avoid the 15 day freeze delay. Spending limit at commissary is $200 per month, and phone and email accounts are separate, so deposit $300 if you can.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:23 PM

My inderstanding is that the address list can readily be changed by the inmate. The primary purpose is to have a list that can be used to assure inmates arent corresponding with other inmates. I dont think this is a mjaor issue.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkkmcxop View Post
need some info on sff hazelton,my wife is headed up there from tx,her daughter is in carswell in tx and tells my wife its a bad place.any info would help thanks

Actually Carswell is a cake walk compared to Hazelton. there are a lot more privaliges at Carswell then Hazelton. Dont get me wrong Hazelton is pretty calm compared to other female facilities. She will be alright there.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkkmcxop View Post
og,do you know if a inmate at sff hazelton can call out to a cell phone in texas?also can you find out if there are many hispanic women there?how often can a inmate call or email and at what times?thans for your help lkkmcxop

a Inmate at hazelton can call as early as 6 am in the morning to 10pm I believe if I remember correctly. calls can be made every 15 minutes during the day. there is a limitations of phone minutes issued to you during a months time so you have to watch your minutes if you want to talk through out the month. All phone numbers have to be preapproved so it can be a cell phone home phone any phone even outta the country (costs more to call) you also have to have enough money in your account to be able to make calls during the month as well. I can not remember the cost per call. I hope this helps you if you have any additional questions or concerns just ask. I was an inmate there for 15 months
Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Don't know if anyone answered you by PM or not, but I can tell you that I'm sure they can call a cell phone (a good bit of the population of this land has given up a land line and are strictly using cell's)...but of course the telephone number has to be approved first. I'm sure they can't use the phones except when they are doing movements??? I know BMR told me in a letter she was waiting on 9pm to call her children. I'm not familiar with email at all. As for hispanic women there...hard to find that out unless you know someone there. I just mailed a letter to BMR1992, and didn't see your message beforehand. I can next time I write try to remember to ask her.

I forgot to add the population there is probably 50% hispanics and yes they do look out for people
Old 06-24-2010, 06:04 AM

Hello everyone. I will be self surrending to Hazelton in less the two weeks. I am getting nervous. I will miss my family and so much of what they have plan just this year. I hate that I am going and that it took them so long to charge me. I know I need to pay for what I did but I hate that I hurt my family. I am not sleeping and it is getting harder for me everyday. Any help would be great.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:59 AM

Counselor is prison argot for disciplinarian. She is concerned with cleanliness, bed assignments and the like. The last thing she does is counsel, which is not part of her job description, and for which she is untrained and has no interest. Case managers are paper pushers. They also have no interest in the welfare of inmates. Their only job is to make sure the paperwork is OK and up to date.
Your wife should stay away from them as much as possible. Nothing good will ever come from interactions. All federal prisons are warehouses. They operate as cheaply as possible. They provide no rehab. Your wife needs to keep her head down and get through her time by exercising, reading,and watching TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertegarrett View Post
Over the past two months, SFF Hazelton is becoming increasingly overcrowed... they are now stacking the bunks three-high. For a low security facility, movement is controlled as if med or high. Counselors and case workers are overtaxed.... my wife has now been there for a month, and has still not met with either her counselor or case worker. I have tried to contact them, and they are virtually non-responsive. It is basically becoming a siimple warehouse, with nothing provided once there, and already well over capacity. One good thing I can mention is that they are instituting email for inmates... restricted of course to approved lists only.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:27 AM

Angry overcrowded

I found this site looking for other people with family at SFF Hazelton, and it seems you are the most active on the page. My daughter was transferred there in July 2010 with 4 years plus left on a 73 month sentence. I haven't been able to visit yet cause I had my own felony many years ago but have been approved and will be visiting mid September. My husband and 2 of her children have already visited and said it was ok. But she tells me what I've seen in your posts. They don't have enuf jobs for the inmates and not alot for them to do. It breaks my heart to know that when she gets out in another 4 years she still won't have any skills to get a job.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:42 PM

Don't forget you can get money by quick collect through Western Union
Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Hello all... I'm due to ss on August 13th to Hazelton. I'm am scared out of my mind. I can't find any new information on Hazelton. I am sentenced to 18 months, and classified as a Schedule 1, points are 15 (whatever all that means??) I was under the impression from my attorney and the judge that I would go to a camp, well low and behold my pretrail called me today and told me that I have to report to Hazelton.

Is there anyone out there that can give me some insight on Hazelton. I would greatly appreciate it? Thanks ahead of time :'(
Old 07-20-2012, 03:50 AM

I self-surrendered to serve a short sentence and was released in 2008. I still remember well how scary it was. My heart goes out to you. Hazelton is a complex. The complex includes a camp. If you were allowed to self-surrender and have less than ten years to serve, you are probably designated for a camp. Normally 11 - 15 points gets you in a low security camp (males) and less than that to a minimum.
Specifically:
Minimum 0 - 11 points for men 0 - 15 points for females
Low 12 - 15 points for men 16 - 30 points for females
Medium 16 - 23 points for men
High 24 or more points for men 31 or more points for females
See http://www.fd.org/pdf_lib/MT10/MT10_...l_Tips_BOP.pdf for details.
You are welcome to contact me privately with any questions, and best of luck.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 AM

Thank you for responding to me Tipesh. This is my first ever encounter with the law, never even a speeding ticket. So this is a real cutural shock for me. I was charged with conspiracy along with my ex husband. We divorced in 2001-granted in 2002, and all his investigations started in 2004, the needless to say the charge was a complete and utter shock. Especially since I've remarried since, had a baby and truly moved on. Guess its true that your past can and will always catch up to you, I'm living proof. Anywho with that said, thank you for your information. I will look into the link that you provided. I think what scared me the most is that I googled the prison and the only info I see even current is 3 news reports in January about females fighting, stabbing one in the face - after reading I completely lost it!! Alot to take in, and even harder to explain to my kids and current husband....but with time this too will all be apart of the past that I can finally have closure to.

Thanks again for your message back.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:25 PM

Default conspiracy

Yup. I went to prison for that to. Very low standard of proof, and the kind offer to "plead out" comes with threats of piled on charges. So sad. So unfair. I hope you can use the time to good advantage. I wrote two books.
Feel free to ask any question you have.If you respond privately I will send you a book on how to survice a prison camp by "O T Sevlle." that I wrote.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tipesh For This Useful Post:
Leavingmyheart (07-21-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM

Quick question can u send the money thru western union before u ss to Hazelton instead of mailing a money order? I ss on Monday the 13th & my husband and I are trying to have it all taken care of before hand and as easy as can be. Also are u allowed to wear a watch in & keep it as ur ss'ing?
Old 09-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Forum Sponsor
Donation Award 

Default Level Medical care

Can someone tell me what level medical the Hazelton SSF is classified as? Thank you.