Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

View Poll Results: What FCC Coleman is your love one at?
FCI Coleman Low 69 24.13%
FCI Coleman Medium 45 15.73%
USP Coleman I 86 30.07%
USP Coleman II 86 30.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2006, 05:48 PM

Default Coleman Federal Correctional Complex - which unit is your loved one at?

I just thought it's about time that we had a specific thread for Coleman. I know that PTO was a tremendous asset for me and that I met other members there who felt the same way. I would be more than happy to give out any information to anyway headed Coleman way. I'll try to give as much information as possible or you can feel free to PM me.

Entering Coleman:

I was able to "self-surrender" and I would tell anyone to do that if they are allowed to. I think I was most concerned about the strip-search as I had never been in anyway involved with law enforcement before this. My fears GREATLY exceeded the actual event. When my husband and I first got there, we went into the entrance and we were greeted by Ms. Carroll (the officer over Receiving and Discharge). She couldn't have been nicer. It was still very difficult for my husband to leave me there. She took me into an inner office and we did some paperwork. She let me know that I already had some mail which made me feel better. I had sent myself some pictures, addresses and a couple of books.

Then came the "STRIP SEARCH". All it consisted of was going into a small room where she had me change out pieces of my clothing for institutional clothing. She made it as unintimidating as possible. I had worn old clothes and flip-flop shoes that I donated. I didn't want my husband to have to go through the pain of having them returned home.

After that a counselor came and did a very brief intake and then medical gave me a TB test. Then back to Ms. Carroll who called for a Big Sister from F4 (the housing unit I was assigned to). The Big Sister came. I was given a bed assignment and a package containing sheets, pillow, nightgown, blankets. The Big Sister (who was exceptionally nice) took me out into the compound. Here was another part I was dreading. I was hoping to go out quietly with no one noticing. That's not how it happens. They dress you out in an ugly beige uniform that stands out from all the other uniforms. When you leave R&D you go out directly onto the compound where, in my case, about 40 women were waiting for commissary. I felt light a deer caught in the headlights.

The good news is that everyone was exceptionally friendly. They came up and introduced themselves and welcomed me. In fact, I had a sort of welcoming committee from former PTO members. My Big Sister was amazed that I already knew people.

She then took me up to my unit, helped me make my bed and showed me around. I was given a "gift bag" from the other ladies in the unit. It had a new toothbrush, toothbrush holder, toothpaste, combs, powder, lotion, shampoo, cream rinse, showercap, showershoes, deodorant and a couple of other things I can't remember. The ladies there purchase these items themselves from the commissary to make things better for the new people.

My Big Sister then took me around the compound to show me where everything was and also to get measured for my uniforms and shoes. They were to be picked up the next day. When I arrived at Coleman, it was in July and unbelievably hot so some of the ladies lent me some shorts, and a t-shirt until I could get my own.

At 4:00 that day, we returned back to our unit and had my first official stand-up count which was intimidating because I wasn't expecting it. At count, everyone stands outside their cubicle quietly and waits for the correction officers to come through and do a "count". If the count is right, the COfficers say that it's all clear and then normally, you're free to move around the unit. Well, my first day, everyone began banging loudly on their lockers at the "All clear". It scared me to death until my bunkie told me that one of the ladies was leaving the next morning and that they always did that as a celebration of her last standing count.

This is longer and more detailed that anyone probably wanted so I'll stop now but I just wanted to get the "COLEMAN" line started
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Francesca48 For This Useful Post:
adejoure (06-12-2013), april2017 (05-26-2014), BlutifulScorpio (12-13-2008), deanogirl (12-05-2011), Fivows305 (06-29-2016), FreeSin (09-11-2015), Hisriderdiechic (10-28-2013), Ira13 (12-05-2012), JoshA (09-09-2012), kimi051 (04-24-2008), kittywill (01-28-2013), lseneca (08-10-2014), momincrisis (11-11-2012), PEARL4210 (06-22-2015), Red dragon (11-05-2014), sunflowerwoman (03-05-2018), swordc (07-27-2014), TheMom28 (06-01-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Thank You For The Info

Francesca
Hopefully I will be headed to Coleman. My sentencing date in December 14th. My attorney will be requesting Coleman since it is closer to my daughter.
Yous post is excellent. At least I know that when I get there it will not be so scary.
I have read here that at Coleman they have a program with dogs. What does it take to qualify? In your opinion what would be a good job? What do they supply you with? I have also read that you can wear contact leneses. How do I get mine replaced, they are the disposable type. Can my family mail me more?
I have so many questions and I am so scared that I could keep going on and on so I better stop.
Thanks again
Chary
Old 11-19-2006, 07:44 PM

Great post........

I did 27 mos at fairton camp and the experiance was very simalar the first day, the only big differance is it does not have cubicals just one big dorm
Old 11-19-2006, 08:46 PM

Francesca48,

How long before you get a uniform that fits in with everyone else? What did they have you doing your first couple of days there? How long before you got a job and what type of job did you have? What classes did you you take or would you recommend there?

What was the hardest part aside from being away from your family?

What do you do if you get sick while there?

Did you shop at the commissary your first day there?

How long before your family got to visit? Your first call, etc?

Thanks for starting this thread!

JJ
Old 12-20-2006, 06:34 PM

My sister is surrendering to Coleman on the 5th of January. How long does it usually take until she is allowed her first visitation. How does the visitation process go. I was wondering as our mother is almost 83 and just want to be prepared ahead of time if it involves alot of standing and waiting to get in. How many visitors is she allowed each time. Any info will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:40 PM

Welcome to PTO littledebbie724.

It usually takes about two weeks to get approved for a visit. Your sister will send you visitor forms which you will fill out and send to her counselor. Your sister will be told when you are approved.

The visiting process is very easy. You go into the lobby and fill out a form with the inmates name and register number, your address, type of car and tag number. You give the form and your ID to the visiting officer and are processed in. If there should be a delay, there is a very comfortable sofa in the lobby for your mother to sit on.

I believe the limit on visitors is five adults. Children over fifteen are also required to have a picture ID.

Take small bills and coins in a clear purse or sandwich bag for the vending machines.

I hope this helps. All the visitation rules are on the BOP website.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:47 AM

Default Sentenced and requested Coleman

Thank you for this thread. I was sentenced to 15 months and have requested Coleman. This site has been a blessing as I have so many questions and like everyone else scared to death.

I have the same questions as Joejoe and I'm sure as the days go by many more. I have to self surrender in February and I would appreciate any info I can get.

Thank you
Old 01-13-2007, 11:34 AM

My daughter has been sentenced to Coleman for 1 year. She will be enterring in March. I've learned so much from these posts. We have never been in trouble with the law so we are new at this. She fell in love with the wrong guy that promised her the roses. She committed health fraud for him by putting the company in her name, since he didn't have any credit. Mind you she is a teacher with a Master's Degree in Curriculum, Instruction and Technology. The judge told her yesterday, that because of her upbringing (christian family with high values) and a graduate) she should have known better. He's right!!! I hope she learns who lessons, but hope that something good come out of this.

She's very busy trying to see what she does with her apt., dog, car, etc., so I'm trying to find out as much as I can to assist her in her transition. She is devasted because she will lose her license to teach and probably everything she has worked so hard to accomplish. She didn't benefit from the fraud and is in debt. The rest is too long too exlain.
Any suggestions, as what she should do until March 2 to prepare? Anyone there she should seek out to get proper clothes? Can she send money ahead to buy clothes or whatever?

She's a sweet girl that loves teaching? How can her talents be put to use?

Any career opportunities there? Also, how is Coleman?

Last edited by mgarcia59; 01-13-2007 at 11:39 AM..
Old 01-13-2007, 12:33 PM

I was at Coleman during the same time as Francesca and experienced about the same things that she did. I was in another unit same configuration and rules. I will be here for anyone who needs information as well about Coleman. About the question regarding contacts. I brought 6 months supply of contacts in with me. I forgot the solution, so remember to bring it along too. There is an optomitrist who comes in on a regular bases. I didn't see him but the " bunkie" in the next cubicle did and she wore contacts. Great to have a thread for Coleman.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Educational Opportunities

What type of educational opportunities are available at Coleman?
What jobs can one pick from?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:15 PM

mgarcia59
I am sorry you and your family are having to go through this, but glad you have found PTO to help. Take a little time and do an advance search on Coleman using only the federal forum and you will find a wealth of information. The self surrender forum has some excellent post on what to expect and sending money and pictures before surrender. Any specific questions you can post in the forums as a new post. We at PTO are here for you and your daughter during the time up till surrender and after also.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:42 PM

The education opportunities vary. Many are taught by inmates. Spanish I / II seemed to be one that was available, accounting, craft skills, GED classes, different exercise programs. When you get there go to the Eduction Dept. and see what is available. Depending on your age physical ability etc..and lenghth of sentence there are many jobs to be had. In fact you MUST work to stay at Coleman. Coleman is a working camp and they do all of the landscaping, plumbing, air conditioning, electircal work for the 4 prisons that are there. There is UNICOR which pays a bit more and is wharehousing. Many jobs in the kitchen and the upkeep of the coompound too. There are orderlies for all units. You can keep as busy as you choose. Oh, yes there is a Canine training Program. If you are a qualified teacher, you can teach through the Education department. Hope this helps Mgarcia59
Old 02-06-2007, 10:34 PM
venicespirit

Default USP Coleman 2 - Info please

Hi there. My husband has just been designated to USP Coleman 2. He has just left USP Terre Haute and has begun his 4 week transport. I am looking for any and all infomation on Coleman 2, including SHU info. I am not new to this, so please do not censor - I'd like the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks.

Last edited by venicespirit; 02-06-2007 at 10:35 PM..
Old 03-07-2007, 04:04 PM

I'm in a similar situation. My boyfriend is designated to USP Coleman II also. He is scheduled to start the transfer process tomorrow. I am trying to get as much info as I can on it. Anything will help. Also I am NOT new to this! Any info is much appreicated. He is going on a disciplinary transfer, been there awhile at USP Leavenworth. Will he go straight to the SHU at Coleman? How does their deal work, as far as phones, and such. Thanks.

KROE
Old 04-11-2007, 09:32 PM

My wife is Coleman now. If I can help please contact me.
I am still learning.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Sticking-2gether-28

My husband just left there and he said USP Coleman 2 is better than USP Coleman 1. He was in the SHU there and I will say that I had trouble getting mail to him sometimes. I sent him some mail at the beginning of April and he left the beginning of May to get transferred and he still had not received it. He got it forwarded to him, though. Some mail he has had forwarded, and some has been returned to me. Coleman 2 seemed to be more responsive to his medical requests, and he said that it was known to not have the gang-related problems that some of the other USP's have. He never had phone privileges while he was there, so I can't advise on that. I will say that he had been at Coleman 1 and their SHU got overcrowded, so they moved him down to Coleman 2 and someone there let him call me "on the house" to let me know that they had moved him. Good luck to him and you!
Old 06-08-2007, 11:49 AM

Question Coleman I

Does anyone have a loved one at Coleman I?
The Following User Says Thank You to koolkitty For This Useful Post:
ToFaswife (07-13-2018)
Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkitty
Does anyone have a loved one at Coleman I?
Hi! i have a female friend at the Coleman women's satellite camp. I suppose you're talking about the men's prison there? I've been down there twice to see her, and I drove around the men's complex once, but was afraid to get too colse. Let me know if I can be of any help. Buggy
Old 07-13-2007, 01:12 AM

My best friend is at Coleman since last year. There is a new warden there, I don't know if male or female. Says things are "too soft" on them. Some things have been taken away, yoga mats and steps for aerobics from the dorms and some books from the library, for starters. My friend said the furloughs had been changed from 7 days to 5, and the women who had furloughs scheduled to see their kids graduate all had been cancelled by the new warden. Some furloughs are still being given, just for shorter periods of time. She says there are lots of jobs, but beware the ones that you might get hurt cuz medical doesn't always know a serious injury. (She said she heard a woman worked in plumbing a few years ago and twisted her ankle. They wrapped it and sent her on her way in alot of pain. She took what she could for the pain and revisited medical, who told her it was a severe sprain. Turns out the woman had broken a bone in her foot and now walks with a permanent limp cuz it wasn't set, just wrapped.) When you visit, make sure you bring $ for sodas, coffee, juice and fresh fruit etc... about $30 in fives and (mostly) singles, as everything is at least $1.00; I'm not sure about the candy bars tho, cuz we didn't get any. Sometimes the bill changing machine runs out, you end up with $5 in quarters. They don't get fresh fruit very often cuz the men (located on the same property but down the road) tried to make alcoholic beverages with citrus awhile back; I don't know how successful they were, but the prison watches friut closely and the women don't get much of it. When I was there, a fresh fruit dish from the machine was $3.50, and I bought her 2. She ate every bite of it. It had watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple chunks, and a few blueberries and 1 strawberry in it. She said they get bananas sometimes. There are sandwiches and popcorn and a variety of other things to buy in the snack machines. There are microwaves too. I'm sure they change the foods available from time to time. Pictures have to be paid for in advance by the inmate, the photographer is an inmate also and cannot accept your $ to take a picture. If you wanna surprise your inmate, be advised, you probably won't be able to get a picture taken. There is a big dining-room type visiting area, and it gets loud with children visiting and all the usual chatter, so we usually sit in a screened-in room outdoors. (Yeah, no bugs.) There is almost no sitting while waiting to be called in for your visit, there is the small couch mentioned already, and a few other chairs, but that's all. Once sitting, most people won't give up the couch, so If you are older and NEED to sit, hopefully asking to share the seat wouldn't get someone rialed up. Be sure to leave your purses and other things in your car. You can only take your keys, MUST have your ID, and $. (Ziplock bag might be helpful). (Don't think you can get away with trying to sneak them something, they are patted down before they enter the visit room and the desk clerk inventories everything the inmate has on. (They can't have "stuff", meaning whatever it is you want to leave with them, so why risk losing your visiting priveledges and risk getting your loved one in trouble? Just DON'T do it.) The "rush hour" is early, so I usually arrive around 10:30 or 11 so I don't have to wait too long, but the room is crowded by then. There is a small room for use by people with small children, with lots of children's books (looks very nice) and a chalkboard, but it was closed when I was there. There is a walking track, and they used to be able to have a garden, I think the new warden did away with that. They have yoga, aerobics, computers, GED, meditation, hotel/restaurant management and a variety of other classes. They have had line-dancing class, something enjoyable and fun; plus a calorie burner for those trying to watch their weight. Last year, they put on a talent show and had a Mexican show/dance. They have a TV room and watch movies, they recently saw "Flicka", I think all the movies are PG rated or something similar. They also have email priveledges, the last I heard, there are only 3 prisons in the entire US that let the inmates use emails. They have NO internet access and you have to be approved to be on their email list, same as for outgoing calls and visiting. You are NOT allowed to foreward their emails to people not on their approved list, if they ask you to, they get in trouble. Incoming and outgoing messages are screened before the inmate or you get them; delay is about 2-3 hours. She has sent what I call "group letters"; to me and her family and another friend all at the same time; we are all on her list and it saves her $ sending a group letter. The email $ comes out of their account, so I send her some $ so she doesn't have to pay for my emails to her. I think it's 5c/min for emails, incomong or outgoing...cost-cutting depends on how fast they can read and type. My friend and I emailed back and forth about American Idol this spring, and she says she watches Desperate Housewives and Hell's Kitchen. It doesn't sound too bad as what I expected for her. She just keeps busy working and then fills her time with classes and activities and reads in her spare time. Sometmes I joke with her that she does more in one day than I do and she makes me tired just thinking about it!! Sorry to jump from topic to topic. I hope some of this info has been helpful to someone out there. Buggy
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buggy For This Useful Post:
cocoluv (07-27-2012), Lost boy 1980 (01-29-2015), PEARL4210 (06-22-2015), Red dragon (11-05-2014)
Old 08-13-2007, 01:52 PM

Yes I do, he's only been there for a couple weeks so trying to find out more myself.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:34 PM
a breath of fresh aire

Default Coleman

I'm not sure what Coleman I is, i have never heard it referred to this way. Usually it's a Camp, Low, Medium, or USP. Which one do you need information on?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Mine is at Coleman I, he got transferred over from Coleman II.

in Coleman Florida, it is a Federal Correctional Complex. There are several facilities in one location.
Coleman I and Coleman II are USP.
There's a womens' camp there.
and two other medium's.

Coleman I is an older facility than Coleman II

My guy is in the SHU so his rules and stuff are alot different than general poplulation.

I'm not sure if this answers any ?'s but this is basically what I know.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:14 PM
jen

Default coleman

do you all know if there is airconditoning at coleman low and medium
its so hot!!!

Last edited by jen_75; 08-19-2007 at 04:16 PM..
Old 09-02-2007, 11:50 AM

I can see that you originally posted this a few months ago, but I just found you and can tell you a little. My boyfriend just finished 22 months at Coleman USP 2. It wasn't bad at all, compared to where he is now. He was able to eat pretty well. The CO's treated him respectfully and he didn't have to many problems with other inmates. The inmates seem to divide themselves according to where they are from. Raw is from St. Pete/Tampa and tended to hang out with other inmates from this area. He had a decent unit manager and counselor that seemed to try to help him if he had any special needs or requests. He did have to visit the SHU a few times while he was there, but it still wasn't bad. I could still visit him, it was just through glass. The SHU visiting rooms are small and uncomfortable, but at least we still got to see each other and communicate. The SIS officers keep a very close eye on visitors and the visiting room officers can be very strict. They don't play when it comes to how you dress to visit. The thing that bothered me most about him being at USP Coleman was the periods of "lock down". Once they were locked down for like two months, when two inmates were killed. It gets really hard for them when locked down for that long. But its clean, air conditioned and doesn't have bugs or rodents, so thank heavens for the little things.
The Following User Says Thank You to RAWbabygirl For This Useful Post:
moonfruit (09-08-2008)
Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 PM

I'm not sure but I know I and II were a/c so I'm sure the low and medium are too.