Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:20 AM

Default Hardcopy wants to know whats going on at United States Penitentiary in Atwater, CA

Whats going on at United States Penitentiary in Atwater, CA.
I need to know.

Hardcopy.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Satisfied

Is there something specific you are inquring about? Or just the daily update/info?

Jenn
Old 12-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,379 Times in 4,637 Posts

The BOP is fighting the building of a car racetrack right next to it - citing noise and pollution.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:40 PM
tkeefoverstrugglingmom

Are you serious Zelda? I hadn't heard about that. it's only an hour and half from my house. I have neighbors that are CO's. I'll have to ask.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:01 PM

What I read is that Riverside Race Track has bought 1200 acres to develop 8 tracks with even a mall there. The pollution and noise couldn't be as bad as it is behind the "wall"...could it?
As usual (my opinion only)...the feds are pushing their weight AGAIN. Of course you all should know that both my sons race, LOL.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Don't try, DO!

If it's land directly adjacent to the facility, I think BOP probably has a fair concern over security. If it's a NASCAR caliber track, you're talking 70 to 100 thousand people for a race, each day of the weekend. If all those people are right next to the prison, I can see why they would get nervous.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:03 PM
FREE TO BE ME

can you imagine the security issues, I would hate to see what hoops the visitors will have to jump through next.

Lenin
Old 12-12-2006, 06:35 PM

It is not NASCAR sanctioned and I doubt it would ever be. From what I understand 1200 acres with a mall would mean the racetracks would be small, maybe several different divisions of motorsports. They would probably NOT race on the same night at anytime, they would have to hire too many people and a racetrack does not make much money. (I've in fact worked for a go-kart race track, so I know, and also know that our hometown car track does not make much either.) I would think that on any given night, there would only be anywhere from 100 to 300 people at the races.
If the govn't is so concerned, increase security at the prison. The town should not be punished, because it would mean more revenue for them. I doubt that any racer or their fans would even know about the prison anyway. (Unless of course it is visible) Most of the races are "family oriented", so you get my point?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,379 Times in 4,637 Posts

I sincerely doubt they're really concerned about security or noise or pollution. I'll bet they had their eye on the land, in case they want to build more prison facilities around Atwater. And with someone wanting to build something else there, they'll either lose their opportunity or the price will go up. Just my hunch. Z.