Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Louisiana that do not fit into any other Louisiana sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:18 PM

DoingTime...aww hun...it's enough to make one loopy!!! You and your man have gotta be some strong people! I pray they get this figured out soon for you guys so he can start working again and then come HOME!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Elizabeth

We try to be as strong as we can. Thanks for the prayers we need em lol
Old 08-30-2007, 05:23 AM
GermainePerro

Yes, Louisiana laws are more tougher than anywhere else. I don't quite understand why it is like that. Texas seems to be more light than Louisiana.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:45 PM

I've never known anywhere like Louisiana... they sure are tough in every way
Old 09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
God is Awesome!

I was wondering why it seemed completly different from Texas threads but I see Louisiana laws operate completely different and its much harder to get information. I am on here supporting my Brother in law so since I'm in a different state I depend on PTO for a lot of my information
Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by javisbabymama
I was wondering why it seemed completly different from Texas threads but I see Louisiana laws operate completely different and its much harder to get information. I am on here supporting my Brother in law so since I'm in a different state I depend on PTO for a lot of my information
I'm finding that other states do things more uniform.. but here in LA it depends on the facility. Everyone has a different story! The information changes daily. What works for one person may end up a dead end for the next.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:17 PM
MISSHIM22

Default Winn Correctional Center

I have a loved on that is serving time at Winn, is there any help that you can offer ... b/c I am kinda new to this. All is appreciated.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:25 PM

Good evening from sunny Florida. My daughter is at Richland Detention Facility in Rayville,La. I am new to this site ,as my daughter has only been there a few weeks. My hope is that she'll end up in a long term rehab facility instead of prison. I grew up in La. and it definitely makes it's own rules,always has.Good ol'boy's running everything.
Floridamom50
Old 10-23-2007, 10:24 PM

Default You are so right

My fiancee has been at Forcht Wade since early last week. They have only let him call me once and that was last night. He has been in lock down the rest of the time. They told him that he would have to stay in lock down until they get a bed somewhere for him, that could be up to 5 weeks from now. I know he is miserable. He gets out in 153 days, but that doesnt even sound good when you know you loved one is all alone in a cell. But yeah I will check this everyday and if I can get someone to give me any information I will gladly share it.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Information on Facilities, I know about

My fiancee has been in Angola, Forcht Wade, David Wade, Richland Parish, and Ouachita Parish " he escaped twice from here". I know alot about those 5 if anyone needs soome information.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Vee

My husband is in Lasalle Correctional Center in Olla. They have nothing to do all day and he gets very bored. He has only been there for 4 months and we don't have his release date yet. He needs the date to apply for work release. He was sentenced to 3 years in September 2007. The guards have been very helpful every time we visit. We get a 3 hour contact visit twice a month. We get to sit down and order food (their fried shrimp is very good). The pictures are 2 or 3 dollars. The only complaint he has is the boredom. He wishes he had a job or some type of program to occupy his time (and mind). It costs about $5 for a 15 minute phone call from Olla to New Orleans. I use Correctional Billing Services because COX Cable won't allow collect calls from a prison. It's hard to get information from the facility. I don't think they have a chaplain and I can't get many answers when I call on the phone.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 PM

Hi everyone. I live in Southeast Louisiana and my husband is incarcerated in Caldwell Correctional Center in Northern Louisiana. I wasn't approved for his visitation list. He has 10 months left and I can't bear the thought of not seeing him for 10 months. The reason I can't see him is when he was in Amite Parish Jail he was a trustee and worked at the mechanic shop and I would go over there and visit him and bring him and the other trustees food and cigarettes. Well on one of my visits they found a pill on the ground of the shop and just assumed that it was mine and said I was trying to get contraband into the facility and they arrested me and took my husband to Maximum Lockdown. I didn't not bring that pill in and I don't know where it came from or who could of had it. They had people coming in and out of that shop all day long. I have not went to court on the charge yet and now they won't allow me to visit with my husband in the new facility he is in because they say I have a drug charge. What can I do so I can go and visit with my husband? I thought the only reason you couldn't visit a inmate was if you were convicted of something. Can anyone please give me some good advice in how I should handle this?

Missing My Baby!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 PM
waited 9 years!

its like a living nightmare trying to work with the judicial system in LA. My man is in J.Levy in pineville, and the ONLY person that really gives a damn is the social worker, who has been a godsend, even letting my man call from her personal phone when my great grandmother landed in the hospital in critical condition. Please pray/meditate/focus energies/prayers/attention towards me and Damin <3!

The Following User Says Thank You to MrsFoytlin For This Useful Post:
cik607 (02-01-2009)
Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 PM
waited 9 years!

Oh petite! They are so harsh, i am so sorry. The only thing i can say is make them base their evidence from forensic evidence, and then your prints won't be on it Keep ya head up

Old 06-22-2008, 10:14 PM

does ne one know how i would get my fiance into a half way house or at least transferred to like closer to home?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFoytlin View Post
Oh petite! They are so harsh, i am so sorry. The only thing i can say is make them base their evidence from forensic evidence, and then your prints won't be on it Keep ya head up

Thanks MrsFoytlin. I appreciate the support. My husband is now at Concordia Parish Correctional Facility in Ferriday, LA. I am able to visit him and I try to go up there every chance I get. They thought they could keep me away from him but they were wrong. Thanks again.

Missing My Baby!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Loving my richie...

Concordia parish huh...tell him to stay FAR away from Jason Maxwell....that place is crooked as heck, but as long as he's a good boy and stays away from that guy, he'll do fine, my fiance did a few years there, did work release and continued to work for the company when he was released. But, he got senenced on another charge today....

Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls7779 View Post
Concordia parish huh...tell him to stay FAR away from Jason Maxwell....that place is crooked as heck, but as long as he's a good boy and stays away from that guy, he'll do fine, my fiance did a few years there, did work release and continued to work for the company when he was released. But, he got senenced on another charge today....

I appreciate the advice. I will tell my husband that. Thanks again. Because I really don't want to see him have to stay any longer than he has too.

Missing My Baby!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRaymond View Post
hi tippy. i agree with you. i thought i was the only one felt that way about the little information we have here in louisiana. it is sad how you can get so much information on loved ones incarcerated in *other* states online very easy, but here you can't even get it over the phone. and that is very true how every state law is different. i'm slowly gainning information on my loved one incarcerated here in louisiana. i just assumed that some of us louisiana members don't share stories cuz we really don't have much to share because we are just as lost as the next person. but i check this forum daily to see if any related news has been posted, but none yet. again, i agree with your post and will keep posting when i hear of something, but louisiana information is pretty much as dead as our forums. sad but true
AS A RECENT RELEASE her in LA. I got 9 years down here and this is the reason that I am on this site it is very different. If any one needs insight into the system contactt me. I was inmate counsel at WCI,AVC. HERE TO HELP
Old 10-17-2008, 10:18 PM

You're so right there's not enough information about louisiana. I'm with each and everyone of you ladies. Its a shame we can't get the information that can be helpful to us all.However if I find out anything I'll pass it on. Right on tippy its time for us ladies to pull together and get things started. Oh also I think we should talk more about the use of those telephone and how high those bills are for us. If only we could get all our love ones in each and every jails, penitentarys in the state of louisiana to not use the for however long it take to get those prices lower so shall it be. because at the rate its going later down the line we won't be able to except those high phone calls. Also what just ran through my mind we can't control the inside but we can contorl the outside where we are now. I'm willing to not expcept those phone call if that mean better rate for us. Not saying it will be easy not being able to speak with your love ones. It just that I feel we all need to take a stand on this one. just a ideas I have. look forward to hearing from you thanks a bunch.

Caring
Old 02-01-2009, 08:16 PM
II SOOPA STAR
Donation Award 

Thats a damn shame! **laughing** My fiancee escaped from Ouachita Parish, too. They shouldn't charge prisoners with escape if the dumb ass guards aren't doing their job. That just goes to show that jail is BS.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:46 PM
DaSylvesters

My husband was at Elayne Hunt at first and he liked it there, well as well as you can like any prison He said they were well fed and that commissary was pretty cheap. He was not allowed to recieve packages but could get books thru the publisher or bookseller ie books a million.

Next was JB Evans in Newellton and it was not good at all. He sent me a copy of the order sheet for commissary and it was outrageous. $1.00 for one pack of ramen noodles. Also he said the food was not very good and that the portions were extremely small, so that you have to buy commissary. However there was a guard there who was extremely nice. He also said that homosexuality is rampant there and nothing is done about it. That they fight over their "women" and everything.

Now he is in Ouachita and they seem to be extremely strict. I have been unable to visit him as yet but will be going to Ouachita to see him and I am curious if its a contact visit because I did not think to ask. I do know that visiting days are determined on Fridays and that only two visitors are allowed. Also to send money at this prison you must have the DOC and the State ID. Once they are moved here there is a two week waiting period before visitation and mail. If you mail the inmate money without the State ID and DOC#they will not post it to his account. If you mail a letter without State ID and DOC# mail is gven VERY slowly. Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 PM
DaSylvesters

Ok my husband is in Ouachita Work Release now and he is allowed contact visits. Also at this facility there is not limit on the amount of money you send but it must be postal money orders, they have to have at least 300.00 on the books at all time to use any money. IE 301.00 will let them spend 1.00. Visiting hours are on Sundays 12-2. You must be preapproved. Just wanted to help anyone who needs it cuz I could find no info on Ouachita Work Release and had to call. The phone number is 318-325-4313 and the mailing address is 4801 S. Grand St. Monroe, LA 71202
Countrydove (02-11-2009)
Old 02-07-2011, 11:17 PM

Default new laws

I have heard a few things that I am trying to check on, supposedly they are trying to change the ways that habitual offenders are sentenced. If this passes some immates will be released early, because instead of flat time, they will be eligible to good time. If any one has found information on this please let me know. I am all about trying to pass on information that I can get, there is so much going on and Louisiana is different from other states in a lot of ways. For instance I found one article and it said sentence is calculated on how likely a person is to offend again and how much of a threat a person is to society verus how much it cost to house them!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrinneil1119 View Post
I have heard a few things that I am trying to check on, supposedly they are trying to change the ways that habitual offenders are sentenced. If this passes some immates will be released early, because instead of flat time, they will be eligible to good time. If any one has found information on this please let me know. I am all about trying to pass on information that I can get, there is so much going on and Louisiana is different from other states in a lot of ways. For instance I found one article and it said sentence is calculated on how likely a person is to offend again and how much of a threat a person is to society verus how much it cost to house them!!!

Kerri, I have been wishing for this for a long time, but never seems to happen because the police officers and the district attorneys along with others keep blocking it. I have been following the legislature since my husband have been down and the only thing that has come out positive is nothing. Every year I follow the new laws but they always be shot down. I have emailed several of the Representatives and no reply back. Mr. Leger is one of the legislatures that is behind the habitual offenders but as usual nothing, I was told that Rep. Smith, she is working on somethings right now, i have emailed her but she has never responded to me at all.