Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

View Poll Results: What type of education do you have?
Male- Didnt graduate from High School 5 0.33%
Male- Graduated from High School 9 0.60%
Male- Graduated with Associates Degree 18 1.20%
Male- Graduated with Bachelors Degree 54 3.61%
Male- Graduated with Post Graduate Degree 17 1.14%
Female- Didnt graduate from High School 25 1.67%
Female- Graduated from High School 172 11.51%
Female- Graduated with Associates Degree 375 25.10%
Female- Graduated with Bachelors Degree 521 34.87%
Female- Graduated with Post Graduate Degree 298 19.95%
Voters: 1494. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2006, 09:41 PM

I have a middle school degree. I guess that doesnt count huh? Alrightie then I have a degree in nothing. but I ask a lot of questions an I listen to you guys. and I look shit up on the internet and I like to figure stuff out and how things work and where they come from. I wan to be homeschooled cause I dont like high school but Dad's at see to make war running amok destroying shit left and right for the goverment, Mom's not up to it, and my big brother's in prison. man, thats really great. Things dont look too hot huh?. like, they suck. Anyways lots of hugz. Lil Sis
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnastic Chick
I have a middle school degree. I guess that doesnt count huh? Alrightie then I have a degree in nothing. but I ask a lot of questions an I listen to you guys. and I look shit up on the internet and I like to figure stuff out and how things work and where they come from. I wan to be homeschooled cause I dont like high school but Dad's at see to make war running amok destroying shit left and right for the goverment, Mom's not up to it, and my big brother's in prison. man, thats really great. Things dont look too hot huh?. like, they suck. Anyways lots of hugz. Lil Sis
Your natural curiosity, strong interests, and keen desire to learn are more important than degrees, Lil Sis. I know people who have degrees coming out of their ears and enough credentials to dazzle an Oxford professor but who don't know beans about what they are doing. Others I met barely have a high school diploma, and they do incredible work. And do you know why? Because they have a keen interest in -- and a strong desire to learn more about -- the work they do. They are enthusiastic, ask questions, are not afraid to make a fool of themselves or try new things, are flexible, and approach challenges an open mind and boundless creativity instead of being stuck to a single, rigid school of thought that they have been brainwashed with. They remind me of you. I like your attitude, Lil Sis. You are truly a breath of fresh air in this dogmatic world of ours. God Bless!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:57 PM
I will allways be there!!

BJ'sgirl you are so right, we are only limited by ourselves.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou103156
BJ'sgirl you are so right, we are only limited by ourselves.
Yes. No wonder Albert Einstein was considered a "poor student" who would "never amount to much" by his teachers. But the more independent he became from school, the more he flourished. The only way he was able to learn was by figuring things out for himself instead of having his teachers telling him how to think.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj's girl
Yes. No wonder Albert Einstein was considered a "poor student" who would "never amount to much" by his teachers. But the more independent he became from school, the more he flourished. The only way he was able to learn was by figuring things out for himself instead of having his teachers telling him how to think.
so true

i think that is the fallicy in most schooling. you are told what to think, when why and how and if your ideas don't conform with what your teachers feel acceptable they try to "change" or "force" you to do what they think is acceptable.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista
so true

i think that is the fallicy in most schooling. you are told what to think, when why and how and if your ideas don't conform with what your teachers feel acceptable they try to "change" or "force" you to do what they think is acceptable.
Schools are brainwashing centers for political correctness
Old 07-29-2006, 09:19 PM

I just graduated from high school and I start college in the fall. I am majoring in Business Administration and Accounting as while as Real Esate.
Then after 4 years of that I am off to Law School.

My boyfriend who is an inmate only went to high school and then this happened so he didnt get any where after that.

Wish me Luck!!!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 11:40 PM

pnutsgirl Good luck to you
I feel our schools should teach how to cope, investigate and decision making and not how to be dictated to.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Banned

Glad to hear that folks have degrees and jobs because based on the response I got to my Christmas bonus question last year I was left kinda confused. Like wow, I know people here have education and jobs, and that because good jobs give christmas bonuses, . . .

This thread proves that you guys do at least have the education therefore if I ask about Christmas bonues again this year, hopefully there will be more responses.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...hristmas+Bonus
Old 07-30-2006, 10:41 AM

Just because I have an education and job doesnt mean I get a Christmas bonus. Last year my Christmas bonus was a 20 dollar gift card to Duncan Donuts. It was the same for everyone in the company. In the family the man we are now going to visit in State Prison was the the only on to get a real christmas bonus he was given 300 dollars cash which was used to make a christmas for his whole family (friends, brothers and their families, mother aunts uncles nephew) he cooked a large meal had a real tree and gave each one a present he also decorated his home something in every room. With out that we would not have had a christmas with anything but each other. Guess next Chiritmas will be spent trying to give this man a visit and support in a place where he has very little to enjoy.

Last edited by Lou103156; 07-30-2006 at 10:43 AM..
Old 07-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou103156
Just because I have an education and job doesnt mean I get a Christmas bonus.
I couldn't imagine working all year and then at the end of the year the boss shows no appreciation. Because me and folk I know have always gotten them I honestly thought they were a given at good jobs. When I say good jobs what I mean is jobs that offer benefits and paid vacation and paid sick days. I even know folk who don't get benefits and they still get a christmas bonus.

This is definitely one of the things that I've learned on PTO -- that the christmas bonus is not the given that I thought they were. Thanks for sharing, and for sharing your loved one's bonus story because I love those which is why I started the thread about the bonus.

Given this revelation, maybe I won't ask this year because I really had no idea.

Last edited by HeSoHandsome; 07-30-2006 at 01:24 PM..
Old 07-30-2006, 04:11 PM

I have a degree in the legal field, and have recently gone back to obtain a degree in English. I'd like to change fields in the future, but I agree that all of that doesn't have anything to do with who you fall in love with. My husband is very intelligent and that's one of the things that drew me to him in the first place. I've met many educated men and honestly sometimes what comes out of their mouth is just plain nonsense.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Closed

I responded to this before but; I have an associates degree in Management! And beginning next I am returning to school to work on my Bachelors in General Education.

Also regarding the Christmas bonus; I have yet to work a job that gave an actual bonus! Some have given food and gift cards but that was the extent of that.

Last edited by zhane; 07-30-2006 at 04:41 PM..
Old 07-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Finally Free!

I work in the non-profit field & most non-profits do not give Christmas bonuses. I have gotten extra time off from work which to me is the same as getting a bonus.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:16 AM
Banned

You got that right sandra because when you're working TIME IS MONEY!!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 3,404 Times in 1,209 Posts

I just want to say that I am looking at this in an educated/not educated sense, not whether somebody is locked up or not.

I found it interesting that some people seemed like they felt they had to explain to anybody that the guy is not educated but he is "smart anyway," or if you are not educated, you have to explain that.

Anyway, from my perspective: I have a bachelor's and I am almost done with law school. My husband has an 11th grade education. Alot of the people in "my circle", for lack of a better term, have husbands who are also highly educated.

For me, when somebody asks me "what does your husband do?" I say, "he's a janitor." Usually, that is followed up by, "Oh, is he still a student?" To which I say, "no." Nobody ever asks anything of me beyond that. I think it is because I say it with a straight face, and I say it with an attitude that I am not ashamed, because I'm not. I don't get into with them how smart he is, or any other qualities, like I have to "excuse" it.

So, whether you are/are not educated, or your husband is/is not educated, I hope everybody realizes you don't have to explain that to anybody, or worry about what they think. I'm not talking about on this thread, I mean in real life.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:51 PM

Default I dont explain

I have never been asked what kind of an education I have or he has. This is because when we speak and socialize and at work we let them assume what ever they will and it is allways assumed that he has some kind of a degree. He also holds a position as a production supervisor so that never raises a question either. So his education level is only know by his very immediate family. The only time it has ever been an issue is when filling out an application when changing jobs.

Last edited by Lou103156; 07-31-2006 at 02:53 PM..
Old 07-31-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june5
I just want to say that I am looking at this in an educated/not educated sense, not whether somebody is locked up or not.

I found it interesting that some people seemed like they felt they had to explain to anybody that the guy is not educated but he is "smart anyway," or if you are not educated, you have to explain that.

Anyway, from my perspective: I have a bachelor's and I am almost done with law school. My husband has an 11th grade education. Alot of the people in "my circle", for lack of a better term, have husbands who are also highly educated.

For me, when somebody asks me "what does your husband do?" I say, "he's a janitor." Usually, that is followed up by, "Oh, is he still a student?" To which I say, "no." Nobody ever asks anything of me beyond that. I think it is because I say it with a straight face, and I say it with an attitude that I am not ashamed, because I'm not. I don't get into with them how smart he is, or any other qualities, like I have to "excuse" it.

So, whether you are/are not educated, or your husband is/is not educated, I hope everybody realizes you don't have to explain that to anybody, or worry about what they think. I'm not talking about on this thread, I mean in real life.
I have met, and dealt with, the powerful and the clever; and I have also dwelt among the humble and the meek. I prefer the plain language, common sense, and simple logic of the working man over the pie-in-the-sky intellectualiziations of the well-learned, the out-of-touch rhetoric of the scholars, and the dazzling speeches of the elitists. Actions speak louder than words. I no longer want to know what degrees people have hanging on their walls, I want to know what they do for others. I like people who are honest, work hard, have a good heart, mean what they say and say what they mean, keep their promises, and treat their fellow man with love and kindness.

Last edited by bj's girl; 07-31-2006 at 04:40 PM..
Old 07-31-2006, 05:30 PM

Bj's YOU are so right
Old 07-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by june5
. . . For me, when somebody asks me "what does your husband do?" I say, "he's a janitor." Usually, that is followed up by, "Oh, is he still a student?" To which I say, "no." Nobody ever asks anything of me beyond that. I think it is because I say it with a straight face, and I say it with an attitude that I am not ashamed, because I'm not. I don't get into with them how smart he is, or any other qualities, like I have to "excuse" it.
I don't know how they take your "no" june5, but the way I take it is "end of conversation".

My take on education -- I don't knock it if you got it, I don't knock it if you don't. What I knock is stupid thinking, and anybody on any education level can have that.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 3,404 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj's girl
I have met, and dealt with, the powerful and the clever; and I have also dwelt among the humble and the meek. I prefer the plain language, common sense, and simple logic of the working man over the pie-in-the-sky intellectualiziations of the well-learned, the out-of-touch rhetoric of the scholars, and the dazzling speeches of the elitists. Actions speak louder than words. I no longer want to know what degrees people have hanging on their walls, I want to know what they do for others. I like people who are honest, work hard, have a good heart, mean what they say and say what they mean, keep their promises, and treat their fellow man with love and kindness.
Me too! That's why I married a "workin' man."
Old 08-01-2006, 12:03 AM

That's ridiculous! It shouldn't matter how much of an education you have. Nowhere in the Bible does it say Love is determined by your level of education. Instead it says: Love is patient. love is Kind. It doesn't brag. It doesn't boast...etc. And if love is really patient, what better way to practice this patience than waitng for a loved one who is incarcerated. Lol
Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 AM

Love knows no boundaries, and education is one of the weakest boundaries there is. For me, I am much more concerned about political affiliation than whether someone has a college degree.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Led by the Great Spirit.

Default Two Years but no degree

I put, in two years, of college toward a journalism degree, but was forced to drop, short of the degree. I hope to go back to work, toward the four year, but will change direction and being working, on Criminal Justice this time.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:49 PM
~One Step Closer~ 5/8/12

I quit high school 5 months before graduation (for stupid, stupid reasons) but, got my GED before my class even graduated. Went to college for my paramedic stuff...finished that & I will start college again the 23rd of August majoring in Criminal Justice. Like everyone else has said...I believe education has *nothing* to do with love...no way no how. Like the old saying goes "you can't help who you fall in love with"...some people are just *sooo* closed minded when it comes to love...they believe you have to be held up to a certain "standard" before you are "loveable" which is (as we all know) so untrue.