Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Michigan prison Visitation, Phones & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's sub-forum category.

Old 05-13-2003, 08:18 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Default Approved Vendors for Books, magazines, etc

Here's an updated list of who we can order books from to send to our loved ones.:

Amazon.com
BarnesAndNoble.com
Borders.com
EdwardRHamilton.com
SchulerBooks.com
Waldenbooks.com
Walmart.com

Has anyone tried WAlmart yet??? I'm curious to see if their prices are better or if their service is good.

Sally
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2003, 09:27 PM

Since Brad isn't coming home right now I wanted to start sending him books. How do I go about this and how can I make sure they are allowed? Is there a certain type of books that aren't allowed? Thanks for the info.

Michelle

It doesn't matter what you do, it matter's who you know!!!
Old 05-14-2003, 04:24 AM

I've used Barnes and Noble. The thing with them is that you can't go INTO a store and ask it to be shipped to a prison, but you can order it online and they will ship it to the prison. I've ordered twice from Barnes and Noble. The first time, the books took about a month to get to Jim, and the second time, they took about a week.
If your Brad can't have a book, he has the choice of having the prison hold it until you can pick it up on a visit, or sending it to you (at his expense). You can take the book INTO a Barnes and Noble store, and they will give you store credit, then they can convert the store credit into a gift card that you can use again online to purchase another book. It was kind of confusing, but I had to do that. I didn't have a rejected book ordered. What I did, without realizing it, is ordered a dictionary/thesaurus CD-ROM. Duh. Jim doesn't have a computer.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:36 AM
Donation Award 

Make sure you check with the facility before ordering. I ordered a book from Borders.com and had it sent to the Lapeer Facility. Lapeer rejected it as now Warden Warren didn't want to use them as a vendor. She told me to reorder the book from Amazon.com. Which I did. But in the meantime he was transfered to Kinross who then rejected the book and said that Amazon was not a vendor their facility used and for me to reorder it from Borders.com. Well, I called Lansing policy and hearings and told them how nuts this was and I have paid more shipping the book back and forth than the cost of the book itself and they called Kinross and he got the book. It's a wonder I get gray hairs.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall.
~Confucius~
Old 05-14-2003, 09:05 AM
Donation Award 

I'm glad you are posting this........I think I'll send the DOC an email asking WHY some of their prisons don't accept THEIR approved vendors.

Lets see what kind of response I get!!!

Sally
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:50 AM

See Mrs. D, you are the best one for this job! Thanks ladies for your information.

Michelle

Old 05-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Here's to MDOC

I have always used Amazon.com...and have had no problems so far. The only thing I cannot send my husband, is any kind of spiral bound book. Amazon.com will tell you how long it will take for the items to be shipped, and they send you a notice when it has been shipped out.

Marie
Old 05-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Been there, done that :-)

Does anyone know the rules for this at Federal prisons? I would like to order some books for myself before I go. How weird is that? Sending yourself books in prison?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

tonib--

I don't know the rules for federal, but you could pm fed-ex and ask him....He was in federal and should know the answer!

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 05-14-2003, 10:43 PM
Donation Award 

I found out that the approve vendor list from Lansing is to be accepted at all facilities and that the facilities can also choose to add to that list if the warden wants. So there may be a local bookstore but one would have to check with the facility to find out if that facility has any vendors besides the ones that Mrs. D listed.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall.
~Confucius~
Old 05-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Donation Award 

PER AN EMAIL FROM THE MDOC - surprisingly answered in TWO days after I sent my query!!!

QUOTE: Prisoners may receive publications ordered by members of the public from MDOC approved vendors provided the publication is not used and is sent directly to the prisoner from the approved internet vendor.

NOTE: Some approved vendors, such as Amazon.com, allow private individuals and other vendors to directly sell publications on their websites. That individual or vendor, not the approved internet vendor, then mails out the publication. In such cases, prisoners are allowed to reveive the publication only if the approved vendor actually selling and mailing the publication is identified as an approved MDOC vendor; prisoners are not allowed to receive the publication if sold and/or mailed by a private individual. END OF QUOTE

SO, in a nutshell, you may want to make sure that the book, etc you are ordering WILL BE MAILED from the approved vendor before you have it sent.

I suggest you put in the comment section something like:

please note: this item is going to a correctional facility, the invoice and mailing label MUST be from your company. Please contact me before prossessing this order if you have any questions.

Sally
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 05-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,052 Posts

I'm not real sure how Michigan DOC goes about approving vendors...
When Dale first got transferred to Baraga, I was sending him books through Barnes & Noble. Well, several months later, out of nowhere, they refused some books... claiming that Barnes & Noble wasn't on their approved list. I called the prison myself to find out if I could get a list of approved vendors, and I was actually told that they didnt' have a list because it changes to often. The officer I spoke with (I wish I had his name), told me that I may want to try Barnes & Noble again in a couple of months because it may be approved again.
Now, how in the world am I supposed to know from one month to the next?

Jodygirl
Old 05-17-2003, 04:41 PM
Donation Award 

I think if this continues to happen, we need to address it with the MDOC and send a CC to the "approved" vendor so they can address it with them also. I'm sure the vendors get sick of it too!!!!

Sally
EVERYONE is happy!

Old 05-17-2003, 09:45 PM

This happened to me to when I asked a CO a couple of months ago if they had an approved list for vendors.

I said what do you mean, you don't have an approved list because it keeps changing? He said" Don't get so upset, if they don't allow it in, you can get it back" Well this just went on and on, and I just gave up.

Michelle

Old 05-19-2003, 12:13 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,052 Posts

Michelle... I was told something similar to that as well!

mrsD.. that's a good idea! I haven't sent Dale books in quite some time now. He has like 5 or 6 magazine subscriptions, plus he gets a daily paper, so he has enough for now. But, I've recently moved to a new area and I want to check out the book stores here. If it happens again, I'll be sure to let ya'll know!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:09 AM

Default I have a question

What is the best way to contact a facility to find out what the approved vendors are for books? I saw mention of an email reply from them but I have no idea where I'd go to do that.
If one was to call who do you call? the mail room? Do they have printed documents of approved vendor lists or do I have to trust that the person I'm speaking to knows what they are talking about?
Thanks
Yooperchick
Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Donation Award 

Well I trust MDOC employees just about as far as I can pick them up and throw them, but for the most part they are correct. Call the mailroom.
EVERYONE is happy!