Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

View Poll Results: Do inmates prefer handwritten or typed letters (if itís snail mail)?
Handwritten 60 84.51%
Typed 11 15.49%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2019, 10:52 PM

anyone having problems with Jpay
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2019, 01:38 PM

Initially, we were handwriting. I am across the country from him, so mail takes forever. So we use Jpay and email back and forth everyday or every other day, he calls instead of emailing back sometimes, and sometimes I handwrite letters and draw little cute things to mail.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:41 AM

My son tells me all the time how great it is to receive mail. My son expresses feelings to me through his letters and cards that he probably would never do otherwise. In this day of technology, handwritten (or typed) letters have become a special bond between us.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:39 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,041 Times in 1,274 Posts

My mom had the most beautiful cursive style of writing I've ever seen but sadly on many occasions and several letters.....i couldn't understand or read her writing. I never had the heart to tell her. No matter the way one writes to me personally, whether or not i can read it is the greater issue
Scott (05-07-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:06 PM
Listening Ear &Soft Heart

I sent the mail in late March and I have not received a reply. Is this normal? Thank you guys so much.
I have had an interest in corrections, criminal justice since I was a child as my grandpa was a cop. I am and plan on continuing to be a law abiding citizen. I do have compassion for the inmates, victims, and both of their respective families.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru03 View Post
I sent the mail in late March and I have not received a reply. Is this normal? Thank you guys so much.
Inmates must be able to put postage on outgoing mail. If they do not have access to money to purchase stamps (or trade with another inmate) then they would not be able to reply to you. Where I was at, the BOP provided pieces of paper, pencils and letter sized envelopes. However, the inmate had to put his or her own postage on the outgoing mail.

Also, if the mailroom at the prison decided (for any number of reasons) to not deliver whatever you sent to the prison to the inmate, you would most likely not be informed about it. The mailroom or the COs delivering the mail may have not forwarded it through the delivery system. They can and will just not deliver something because they ďdonít feel like itĒ. Happened all the time where I was at. However, most things, if the sender follows the BOP mail room rules EXACTLY as they are spelled out, then mail will usually get to the inmate.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:11 AM
Listening Ear &Soft Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fockwulf View Post
Inmates must be able to put postage on outgoing mail. If they do not have access to money to purchase stamps (or trade with another inmate) then they would not be able to reply to you. Where I was at, the BOP provided pieces of paper, pencils and letter sized envelopes. However, the inmate had to put his or her own postage on the outgoing mail.

Also, if the mailroom at the prison decided (for any number of reasons) to not deliver whatever you sent to the prison to the inmate, you would most likely not be informed about it. The mailroom or the COs delivering the mail may have not forwarded it through the delivery system. They can and will just not deliver something because they ďdonít feel like itĒ. Happened all the time where I was at. However, most things, if the sender follows the BOP mail room rules EXACTLY as they are spelled out, then mail will usually get to the inmate.
May I please PM you, or a Mod who knows BOP mail rules a copy of my envelope and letter so that they can see if I did everything correctly? Iím not upset really, Iím just surprised.
I have had an interest in corrections, criminal justice since I was a child as my grandpa was a cop. I am and plan on continuing to be a law abiding citizen. I do have compassion for the inmates, victims, and both of their respective families.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:18 PM

I sent a letter with a colorful postcard. He never got the postcard because they say that drugs can be used in the ink and they didn't even photocopy it. I'm confused..
Old 05-15-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru03 View Post
May I please PM you, or a Mod who knows BOP mail rules a copy of my envelope and letter so that they can see if I did everything correctly? Iím not upset really, Iím just surprised.
Absolutely. Iíll try and help as much as I can.

You may have done everything right. It just may be that the mailroom personnel at the site you sent it to, decided to not deliver it to your addressee. The BOP makes the rules and they change them whenever they want and they donít have to tell anyone about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fockwulf For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-16-2019), Guru03 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 03:43 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,921 Times in 12,661 Posts

Inmates who meet the bop's requisite of being "indigent" can get 3 stamps a week from their counselor, but must request them. When I was at the Oklahoma City transfer prison (no stamps available from the commissary) that was the only way to send letters. Mail room rules are specific to each prison, and sometimes change from minute to minute, depending on the CO.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 05-16-2019 at 03:45 AM..
Old 05-16-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinlex View Post
I sent a letter with a colorful postcard. He never got the postcard because they say that drugs can be used in the ink and they didn't even photocopy it. I'm confused..
Yes. Most times something like that will not be delivered, as there are ways of sending drugs in the paper that can be smoked that is not detectable. The mail rules are strict about that.