Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:47 AM
LYIDFIW

Default New Here Need Info on USP Florence High

The father of my daughter was arrested in Jan 09, he was in Milan, MI at a low security prison and as soon as he was sentenced in March 10 they sent him to FCI Victorville Med I and now is in USP Florence High. He said that he was moved for security reasons and I am not sure what that means. I know that he is in the middle of fighting 'tickets' for things that he alledgedly did. What are tickets!? Anywhoo, I just want to know what USP Florence is really like? We have not seen him since March of this year. Our daughter was 4 weeks old when he was arrested and is now 22 months old and hasn't seen him in 7 months. I want him to be an active part of her life, but USP Florence high is 22 hours and 1500 miles away! I have heard terrifying stories of that place and am unsure if I should even consider allowing our daughter there. It is a lot to take her so far away from home and I just need to know what to do. Any REAL information would be greatly appreciated. I would never want to take my daughter to a place I feared would hurt her. Please give me the TRUTH! No matter how scary! I need to know...
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 03:04 AM

hi! why shouldnt you be able to take your daughter to see her dad?? well Florence is not an very "nice" place and it is often on lockdown- but you have said you want him to be an active part in your daughters life! Forence got all the crappy prisoners from texas when they colsed this place there tenporary , because of the many fightings, but now, they keep doing it in florence.. but i dont think it affects you& your daughter.. either your man treats you right or not.. everything else does not matter.. yes, 1500 miles are quíet a bit- but you have to make the decision- nobody else.. there are many stories about florence and most of them are not very nice, but this things between the inmates .. well your choice.. i would not even think about it and just go and take my daughter there.. get your own impression, everyone has a different point of view through Life- expierence..
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 PM
LYIDFIW

While I agree and normally wouldn't hesitate to take my daughter on visits like we have done every week since he was arrested, this is a different scenario. Florence High USP is the highest level security prison in the US other than the ADX in Florence. I normally would have no problem taking our daughter, but this is a 1500 mile trip for 22 hours with my daughter and they could possibly be on lock down since they are always on lock down. It is a tough decision, I just don't want to subject my daughter to any danger. Her father and I are not together, but we remain on decent terms. I have wrote to him and he tells me that it's the worst place to be at. He says they're always on lock down and he calls it dangerous and violent. Even he doesn't know if it is a good idea to bring her there. I guess only time will tell. I just hope somebody puts some information on here soon regarding this prison!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,379 Times in 4,637 Posts

USP Florence is just like any other maximum security USP in the country - not any more or less dangerous. Lots of people take their children to visit at USP Maximums. If there is any danger in the prison, it isn't in the visiting room. As for lockdowns - that's something else to consider - no way of knowing when a prison will lock down, whether it's a maximum or medium. It's just something you have to consider - whether you're willing to risk traveling and then have it locked down in order to have your daughter have visits with her father. If you look at it as a "vacation" for her, with other things to do as a backup, then you won't be as disappointed if you travel there and there is a lockdown. Just don't tell your daughter ahead of time that she's going to see her daddy. Of course, if your husband doesn't want you to visit, that's another matter - or if you don't want to spend the money and time to visit. But you can take out the "danger" factor when deciding.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
Mrs.sanchez2010 (11-15-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 05:55 PM
LYIDFIW

How can I not take in the 'danger factor' when deciding on if I want to take my daughter to the highest level security and most dangerous in the US next to the ADX Florence . Even her father said it is the worst prison in the US and the most violent and dangerous! I am just the type of mother that wants to make sure that my daughter is placed before all else. I am not going to risk her safety for a visit and her father understands that. I just don't want to not visit if it's no that bad there. But according to the inmates, it is the harshest, most violent, and always on lockdown place above the only ADX.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:07 PM
LYIDFIW

Any info would be helpful. I always do research on things now since my guys arrest. I don't want to be uninformed anymore...
Old 11-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Donation Award 

Sounds like he doesn't want his daughter to visit.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:18 AM
LYIDFIW

He wants her to visit terribly, it's just hard when I tell him that I am a little more worried than I normally am when it comes to visiting her because of everything that I hear about the place and what he tells me. And when he says that he isn't even going to argue with my worry because it's valid but it's tough because he wants to see her, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Eventhough I know he'll understand if we don't visit because he and I both want what's best for her safety, neither of us know what goes on in the visiting room, so we were hoping to hear from anyone about it. I know most inmates don't want to ruin their visits or lose them for themselves so I am sure nobody wants trouble in the visiting room, but I know how some inmates can be. It's just hard when he's so far away and at a place we know NOTHING about!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Donation Award 

You've been told over and over again that the visiting rooms are safe for children to visit - at every BOP facility. i don't know why you won't believe it. Basically, you say you don't believe it because of what your husband is telling you - and yet you say he knows nothing about the visiting room at the facility! Just tell him to ask some of the other inmates who have children who visit - they can tell him. What, exactly, do you think might happen in a visiting room? There are a zillion security cameras, there are several cops watching, inmates are only allowed to interact with their own children, there are usually a few things for children to do (cards, books, etc.), and at maximum security facilities, inmates are usually searched coming into the visiting room.

Last edited by Zelda50; 11-13-2010 at 11:08 PM..
Old 11-13-2010, 11:29 PM
LYIDFIW

Everytime we have visited him, the first couple of places were not supervised AT ALL! They put us in rooms where obviously there were glass windows, and in Milan, MI there was only one guard who sat at a desk. And no the BOP doesn't give any info on visiting. There are multiple incidents listed on things that have happened at prisons lately. One inmate stabbed his wife and mother at a visit in Florence. The prison visiting rooms lately have been in the media because inmates have been harming other inmates families to get back at an inmate they dislike.
@Zelda 50: You seem adimate about telling me to take my daughter to visit her father and to not take the danger factor in, but the danger factor is the most important thing in considering taking my daugher. And he's not my husband. He is my ex but the father of my child so I have taken her every week since she was four weeks old until she was 15 months old when he got transfered 1500 miles away. I am not willing to put my daughter in harms way. So I just wanted to know what happens in the prison that he's at. I just would like to know info for my own comfort because other than the women who are emotionally invested in the inmates, I can only seem to find violence, danger, and stories of gangs, stabbing, murders. It's irritating. I would just like to know some first hand experience other than a person who would minimize it because they love the person or media that maximizes it to make it sound worse, That's all!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:51 AM
Donation Award 

Haven't seen those media stories "lately" - only the one about Florence a long while ago - pretty much an isolated incident, to my knowledge. So I guess you just have to go with what you feel is right. Don't see anyone else responding to your questions. That's why I suggested your "ex" ask other inmates at that facility. He obviously should be concerned about the safety issue for his daughter also and try to find out information on that end. I just know that I took our son to visit his father in a maximum security prison for 14 years without a problem (1,000 miles away). Well, a woman fainted once - but that could happen anywhere. And just because a woman is "emotionally involved" with an inmate doesn't mean she'd put their child at risk. I wouldn't have taken him if I'd sensed any danger. I am glad I did take him because he has a really good relationship with his father and the visits helped with that a lot. (Also - you didn't state previously that you are not emotionally involved with your child's father - after all, you've put on your location "My heart is where he is." - which gives a different impression.)

Last edited by Zelda50; 11-14-2010 at 03:59 AM..
Old 11-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Donation Award 

You know - upon further thought regarding your situation, I think it's clear that you are not comfortable with taking your daughter to visit at USP Florence but you want some other people to validate those feelings so you can pass that information along to your "ex." In that case, I think you shouldn't take your daughter to visit there - I think she will pick up on your anxiety and that would negatively influence your trip and your visit.
Keep her in touch with her father by phone and mail and perhaps one day he can work his way into a lower security prison where you would feel more comfortable. Everyone has differing levels of comfort and, if you feel more comfortable keeping your daughter at home and away from any place where the unexpected might occur, then go with that and just tell your ex how you feel about it. You don't need us to validate or invalidate your feelings.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:42 PM

considerin i just came from up there this last weekend from visitin my husband i feel obligated to respond this this post. i brought My 5 year old some with me to see his"dad" this past wekend and i have to say he was very much at ease. it was a nice and calm visit and there was not one time where i feared for my safety or the safety of my son. they have a nice play area for the kids where they can play and watch movies. my son absolutely loved spendin time there and felt very relaxed. there is a very relaxed environment in the visitation room. the whole routine is quite structured though. when you first walk in they process you which includes an ion detection system that checks for illegal particles and then you are forced to wait up to 1 and a half hours before taken down stairs down a long hallway into the visitation room where you are assigned a chair. there are no tables you are forced to sit next to the idividual with no touchin or physical contact which is that hardest part. if you are to kiss the inmate it has to be closed mouth with no tongue and less than 3 sec. if it is deemed inappropriate then your visit is terminated and the inmate can recieve "drycell" which means its just him and nothing else. no mattress or personal items. and they are held in the shu for up to 3 months. visitation has strict guidelines but to me is well worth the hassle. if you follow the rules then everything will go smoothly. also BTW if you are from outta state then you get visitation no matter if they are locked down or not. the only way is if the lockdown is due to a Correction Officer shankin or if your inmate is directly involved somehow with the lockdown or in a case of an escape attempt. so with inmate on inmate fighting then there's still visitation. i hope this has been of some help. take care and god bless.

Last edited by cristinagarcia3; 12-03-2010 at 07:51 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cristinagarcia3 For This Useful Post:
Kayla28 (12-06-2010), Zelda50 (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Donation Award 

Geez - those are restrictive rules about physical contact! I've never visited a USP which had such specific rules about the TYPE of kissing. And it's certainly not in the BOP policy manual!! Somebody there sounds pretty puritanical. But glad you posted about the conditions for children and that they are positive.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:14 AM
LYIDFIW

Thank you soooo much for replying! I really do appreciate it! We haven't seen our guy since March! We really miss him and don't want to travel so far away and not be able to see him! I will pass this info along to the family. I'm happy that you got to see your family. And thanks for giving me the information on children and kissing. Our daughter is 2 and she doesn't know her father that well since he was incarcerated when she was 4 weeks old I will try and refrain from kissing eventhough we're no longer romantically inclined, we always kiss and hug goodbye. Thank you sooo much! I feel better please keep me posted on how the visits go. Is your guy at USP High?
Old 01-10-2019, 03:41 PM

Default USP Florence High security and Supermax prisons

Anyone have someone at USP-Florence High?
Old 01-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,706 Times in 13,067 Posts
Default USP Florence High security and Supermax prisons

Post your questions about the USP and Supermax prisons in Florence Colorado here.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 01-10-2019 at 05:56 PM..
Old 01-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I moved your question from the Colorado State prison forums to the federal forums for better answers and opened a new thread for the USP High and Supermax prisons.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:02 AM

Default USP-Florence High

Does anyone know if they are on lock down?
Old 04-02-2019, 04:29 PM

Default Is USP-Florence High on lockdown?

Does anyone know if its on lockdown?
Old 07-13-2019, 01:04 AM

I have a loved one at USP Florence, CO Federal Prison -anyone have any news on this prison, my husband has been on lockdown since June 23, 2019
Old 08-23-2019, 09:23 PM

Has anyone heard from their loved one today at Florence-High?
Old 09-26-2019, 11:46 PM

Default uSP Florence High - desperately trying to get info

Trying to find out information of Life in USP Florence High. I can't seem to get any current info and my son has been sent there and I haven't heard from him.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:33 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums, Conditions in the Florence ADMAX prison change slowly, if at all. To find all of the archived PTO threads about that prison, google " usp florence high prison talk" and click on "More results from prisontalk.com".