Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:59 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,675 Times in 13,052 Posts

I really enjoyed the Loretto Library. Lots of donated books that didn't have to be checked out. They also had a few TVs for watching video tapes and CDs that could be checked out too, plus it was air conditioned.

The library closing may be punishment for what happened recently when the bop tried to censor all reading materials by forcing families to only purchase "approved" books from one bop book seller, at an additional 30% markup. There was so much opposition that Congress got them to "temporarily" back off.

Something similar happened when I was locked up, but for a different reason. All libraries and Chapel libraries were closed for months (again until Congress or the ACLU intervened) because of what inmates named the "Muslim scare".
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I really enjoyed the Loretto Library. Lots of donated books that didn't have to be checked out. They also had a few TVs for watching video tapes and CDs that could be checked out too, plus it was air conditioned.

The library closing may be punishment for what happened recently when the bop tried to censor all reading materials by forcing families to only purchase "approved" books from one bop book seller, at an additional 30% markup. There was so much opposition that Congress got them to "temporarily" back off.

Something similar happened when I was locked up, but for a different reason. All libraries and Chapel libraries were closed for months (again until Congress or the ACLU intervened) because of what inmates named the "Muslim scare".

I don't know which is worse: BOP, Justice Department, or the MOB. Frankly, sometimes I think LaCosa Nostra is the least threatening.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (01-08-2019), fbopnomore (08-27-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 07:27 AM

Default Magazine subscriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbi View Post
Does anyone know if I can order a magazine subscription from Amazon 4 my friend in Loretto? I want to get him something. His birthday is today.
I now it has to come directly from a publishing house but don't know if there's restrictions on which one's u can order from. Shelbi
You can order mag subs from Inmate magazine service. They are less expensive though they do take time to start. Google them they are legit.
The Following User Says Thank You to dghorse For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (01-08-2019)
Old 09-30-2018, 07:28 AM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1927 View Post
I don't know which is worse: BOP, Justice Department, or the MOB. Frankly, sometimes I think LaCosa Nostra is the least threatening.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 PM

Default can't get any mail with photos or printing in color

I found out that any mail I've sent, if it has color won't be allowed. I thought that they would at the very least copy the image and give it to the inmate in black and white but he said it was never received. This is Loretto, PA camp and said that people were sending drugs in the ink... I don't get it. Is this normal? Seems from what I read a lot of people send colorful cards and photos with no problem. Just curious if this rule is just for certain places.
The Following User Says Thank You to luvinlex For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 08:11 AM

I recently sent my son a birthday card which he never received. I included some legal information with black type on white paper. He never received that either. My son is 1,000 miles from home and has tried to apply for relocation within 500 miles per the First Step Act. The staff at Loretto would not give him the application. They tell the inmates they are not relocating anyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to bookwatch For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:37 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It sounds like Loretto hasn't changed since I was an inmate there, the absolutely most unhelpful staff I ever encountered in the bop. It was initially a Catholic Monastery, and when the bop purchased it, the entire staff came directly from the Pennsylvania hill country, 99% of them were white hillbillies. Some of them have retired, but definitely not all.

My lawyer sent my counselor a letter requesting an unmonitored phone call. I went to his office to set it up, and believe me it had to be something that important for me to ever initiate contact with him. His reply "I'm too busy". My question "when will you have the time to schedule my legal phone call?" His reply "never". He wasn't lying either.

The SHU was always full, and the prison Chaplain was responsible for most of them.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:14 PM

I can concur as to how s*&%&y the staff is at Loretto. Pennsyltucky hill-jacks. Loretto was known as the BOP facility that received the rejects of staff from around the NE. I only found one decent man among the staff, and he retired in 2016. The rest of them, various degrees of horse dung. And don't even get me started on those that were running the commissary. Words of profanity won't suffice to describe them.

As for the comment I read about ink containing drugs? Yes, I believe that this has been the case from what I observed there. That may be why the ban on colored inks. It could also be just because the staff wants to stick it to the prisoners (I refuse to call myself an ex-inmate...I'm an ex-PRISONER). Was never so glad to get out of PA in my life in 2017 after I left that place. Beautiful countryside occupied by hill-jacks that made the hill boys from Deliverance look intelligent.

FYI - I hope the staff from Loretto is reading this!
The Following User Says Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 07:51 AM

My son just informed me there is a hunger strike in progress at Loretto FCI. Now the staff can have all the carbs they give the prisoners along with the all the fruits and vegetable they steal for their own meals.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwatch View Post
My son just informed me there is a hunger strike in progress at Loretto FCI. Now the staff can have all the carbs they give the prisoners along with the all the fruits and vegetable they steal for their own meals.

Can you update us on Loretto? I still have many former acquaintances there that I keep track of.

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1927 View Post
Can you update us on Loretto? I still have many former acquaintances there that I keep track of.

Thanks.
The hunger strike only lasted a few days. My son said the staff made some concessions and gave the inmates ice cream which ended the strike. I have the impression nothing has changed.

However, I haven't heard from my son in a week and am wondering if Loretto is on lockdown. Does anyone know?
cal1927 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwatch View Post
The hunger strike only lasted a few days. My son said the staff made some concessions and gave the inmates ice cream which ended the strike. I have the impression nothing has changed.

However, I haven't heard from my son in a week and am wondering if Loretto is on lockdown. Does anyone know?

Thanks for the update. I'm going to check with someone I know who has family there.
bookwatch (09-15-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 10:40 PM

I have confirmed through another source that there was indeed a several day hunger strike at Loretto. Seems that the COs took things too far in their abuse of the prisoners living situation. It sounds like the commissary was pulling the same crap they did back in 2013-2015 when they were deliberately not ordering necessary & wanted items despite being requested too numerous times. The only way this got resolved back then was when Region came in and prisoners complained openly to them in front of the COs. Sounds like its time again for Region to come in to that hell-hole in Loretto.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (09-18-2019), fbopnomore (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 12:41 PM

I just called Loretto because I haven't heard from my son in 10 days. They told me he is "safe" but would give me no other information. He cannot call me but he can write letters, however, the CO would not ask him to write me. I assume he is in the SHU. How long are inmates in the SHU at Loretto? My son has Aspergers and being in solitary confinement is not going to go well. I can't believe this is happening the United States. Seems more like China or North Korea.

Last edited by bookwatch; 09-18-2019 at 01:38 PM..
fbopnomore (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 05:28 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The length of time he will be in the SHU depends on how he got there. It can be for a fixed length (if it is a punishment after a conduct violation hearing) or open ended (a pending investigation or "we just don't like him").

He will eventually receive your letters, and can reply if he can get stamps + stationary. If he doesn't have money on his inmate account to buy them from the very limited commissary access from the SHU, he can request "3 indigent" stamps + envelopes each week, but he must ask for them. Loretto's SHU is not awful, as far as bop SHUs go.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
The length of time he will be in the SHU depends on how he got there. It can be for a fixed length (if it is a punishment after a conduct violation hearing) or open ended (a pending investigation or "we just don't like him").
I read somewhere on this forum that mentioning a hunger strike on the phone can land someone in the SHU. He's been careful to avoid violating any rules so he can transfer closer to home. Who knew telling his mother about a hunger strike violated bop rules? Maybe they just don't want to transfer him?

Can he still get books from the library. If not, can I send him a few? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

When I was in the Loretto SHU, they did circulate a book cart most nights. The only "out of cell time" was for occasional showers and recreation in another cell that has a steel barred roof that is open to the outside. No library and all of his personal property is stored for as long as he is locked up there. I did receive books in the mail in a couple of SHUs, but I didn't request any in Loretto because of the book cart.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
When I was in the Loretto SHU, they did circulate a book cart most nights. The only "out of cell time" was for occasional showers and recreation in another cell that has a steel barred roof that is open to the outside. No library and all of his personal property is stored for as long as he is locked up there. I did receive books in the mail in a couple of SHUs, but I didn't request any in Loretto because of the book cart.

Following-up on the personal property "storage" by SHU staff - I knew numerous guys who had personal property stolen by the staff at Loretto once they got out of the SHU. Of course they'll deny it or say it was done for "security purposes", but the fact remains that the staff at Loretto has regularly gotten away with theft for years at Loretto.
bookwatch (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

When I arrived at Loretto the bop was in the process of banning tobacco, which was scheduled to occur about a month later. The warden had supposedly ruled that new inmates could not keep any tobacco products that arrived in their property from another prison. Mine were confiscated by the R&D COs, but I was able to buy them back later that day. $2.00 in the commissary, $30.00 then.

By the way, as soon as tobacco was actually made contraband, the price rose to more than $100.00
Old 09-21-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
When I arrived at Loretto the bop was in the process of banning tobacco, which was scheduled to occur about a month later. The warden had supposedly ruled that new inmates could not keep any tobacco products that arrived in their property from another prison. Mine were confiscated by the R&D COs, but I was able to buy them back later that day. $2.00 in the commissary, $30.00 then.

By the way, as soon as tobacco was actually made contraband, the price rose to more than $100.00

Wow, when I arrived spring of '13, I don't remember tobacco ever being legal at Loretto. When was it banned?
Old 09-22-2019, 02:08 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I arrived at Loretto in the Summer of 2005, which is when the tobacco ban went into effect at some, but not all bop prisons.