Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:43 PM

Angry Does the SHU at USP Marion allow books?

Hi there everyone,

This forum has been SO helpful to me, especially to ease my worry now that my loved one is in the SHU .

I have a question: does Marion USP allow books for inmates in the SHU? I am sending my loved one paperback books from amazon, but I called the prison today and they told me "no books in the SHU." Really???
The Following User Says Thank You to Lhurst For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (07-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2018, 05:45 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,658 Times in 13,039 Posts

Each prison 's warden can set the rules for their SHU. All I can tell you was that both USP SHUs I was in allowed books to be sent in from bookstores, but Marion wasn't one of them.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:47 AM

In my prison inmates are allowed a certain amount of books from the SHU library. To insure that there is no confusion as to if it is a personal book or a Library book all personal books are held in personal property until the inmate is released from SHU. We do allow magazines and newspapers and letters of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-08-2018)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:00 PM

I hope the original poster and her loved one made it through his time in the SHU without too much trouble.

I'd like to add my comments, for others searching the threads for information. My friend is now in the SHU at USP Marion. He can't have any personal books, newspapers or magazines. I received my first letter and he has only one small, dull pencil to write with, so he discouraged me from sending sheets of crossword puzzles, Sudoku, etc. because he'd rather save his pencil for writing letters. I hope he gets a pen, or at least a spare pencil, soon. He has received photos that I've sent. I already sent a few short stories that I thought might interest him, as well as current events, but I'll make a better effort to find a good variety of reading material that can be included in future letters.

If anyone has recent experience with a loved one in the shu at Marion, specifically, and has any helpful info or advice, please let me know. If anyone is reading this in the future and has any questions or simply wants someone to commiserate with, please feel free to message me and I'll share any helpful information that I'll eventually learn.

This too shall pass.

What a curious life this is, to hope a loved one is afforded the privilege of the use a pen...
The Following User Says Thank You to CSCHULZ789 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,959 Posts

Sorry, pens have been turned into weapons ergo no pens as we know them.

In ADX my friend got to use the inside portion of a pen, that skinny tube that contains the ink, but that was not when he was in SHU.
CSCHULZ789 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Oh, I get it. It's almost comical, really, these restrictions. I would never, of course, want anyone to be harmed by a weapon. I can also understand extra precautions being taken at the ADX. USP Marion operates as a medium security facility, so I thought perhaps it would be a matter of time before he might be able to purchase a flexible pen at commissary. No such luck, I guess.

The no pens in the SHU at Marion must be somewhat recent. Just over a year ago, an unknown inmate got my contact information from a misdirected letter and wrote to me, from the SHU at Marion, and he did use a pen.

I had hoped that my friend might, eventually, be able to do a crossword puzzle or something to pass the time, but it sounds like that allowing a basic writing implement is beyond reasonable hope.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,959 Posts

Guys not in SHU at Marion do get pens and he really doesn't need to be so careful with his pencil. It may take a try or two, but if it gets too short he will be able to swap it for a new one.

Feel free to laugh, but when I was first arrested and taken to jail I just could not understand why my "toothbrush" was ONLY the brush part - no handle. Then it was explained that people file the handle end into sharp, dangerous points. Many prisons ban dental floss because it can be woven into an escape rope or braided into a noose.

Last edited by safran; 06-06-2019 at 11:43 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
CSCHULZ789 (06-06-2019), fbopnomore (06-06-2019), Itshardtowait (07-17-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 05:00 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,658 Times in 13,039 Posts

At the Oklahoma City transfer prison, we were only allowed the 2 or 3 inch pencils. One guy asked a NBA player locked up for child support to give him an autograph anyway, which resulted in many laughs.

I agree that a Bic pen would make a great weapon, but every medium security bop prison I was assigned to allowed them anyway.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:43 PM

Here is a little info for those who may deal with this in the near future. This info is specific to USP Marion, only, and is current as of June 2019.

Some of this is a bit more challenging for my friend due to the sharply reduced commissary spending limits that have been in effect for the entire USP (not just the SHU) since the end of March 2019. Commissary spending has been limited to only $75 per month. Other restrictions include one phone call per day, lasting no longer than five minutes. I never thought I would have believed 300 minutes per month was a luxury, yet here I am. Men can receive unlimited messages via Corrlinks/Trulincs, but may only send 150 messages per month (equivalent of five per day). These restrictions are punishment for the presence of illegal drugs at the facility and are across the board, regardless of individual behavior. Maybe the restrictions were lifted for general population on June 1st, but I wouldn't know about it, yet.

No personal books or magazines are allowed in the SHU. Anything of that nature received while your loved one is in the SHU will be held in property until they return to general population.

Men are allowed to shower three times per week. My loved one is not currently allowed to have a comb or brush. He was not issued soap, shampoo or a toothbrush. He may be allowed to purchase basic hygiene items, via commissary, eventually.

Because my friend had hit his $75 monthly commissary spending limit just prior to going to the SHU, he may currently only purchase stamps and OTC meds (commissary is still weekly in the SHU), as those do not count against his spending limit, until he revalidates later this month. A man who had been in his same unit was kind enough to lend him a bar of soap, a small deodorant and shower shoes.

They are issued one flexible pencil without an eraser once per week. There is no ability to sharpen the pencil. Other men might lend their pencil, but no additional pencils are issued, except for one replacement on Saturdays. Because of the terrible quality of the pencil, the address information on letters is proving difficult for the post office to read. Based on dates in letters and postmarks, any delay is not because of the prison holding his mail. Mail is taking five to seven days longer than is typical.

Men are provided with four sheets of notebook paper and four envelopes, per week. I'd assume if someone one is indigent, he would be provided with 4 stamps, also.

As is typical with most SHU situations, my friend will be able to make one phone call after approximately 30 days.

There is no air conditioning in this SHU and it is two men to a cell (sort of an upgrade from the three men to a cell in the climate controlled section of the prison, eh? Okay, probably not). The food is terrible and snacks cannot be purchased via commissary.

So, that's what I know, for now. I hope it helps others to know what to expect, though everything within the BOP is always changing. As I mentioned in an earlier post, anyone is welcome to message me if they are not comfortable posting a question publicly. My friend will be in custody until summer or fall of 2022, so I'm sure I'll continue to learn more and am happy to share information.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSCHULZ789 For This Useful Post:
cocopuff1 (07-06-2019), fbopnomore (06-10-2019), Itshardtowait (07-17-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
In my prison inmates are allowed a certain amount of books from the SHU library. To insure that there is no confusion as to if it is a personal book or a Library book all personal books are held in personal property until the inmate is released from SHU. We do allow magazines and newspapers and letters of course.
Why donít they allow inmates in the SHU access to the library or having reading materials mailed to them? This is becoming a most likely destination for me when Iím sentenced next month and because of other federal pending charges I may be in SHU upon arrival. What do they expect inmates to do to pass the time
Old 07-16-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss93 View Post
Why donít they allow inmates in the SHU access to the library or having reading materials mailed to them? This is becoming a most likely destination for me when Iím sentenced next month and because of other federal pending charges I may be in SHU upon arrival. What do they expect inmates to do to pass the time

Every SHU is different, the rules are different.

Ours, we have. A book cart that goes through once a week and each inmate gets 2 books. So in actually you get 4 books a week to read (2 yours and 2 from your cellie plus a bible or Koran)

You can also get all the letters you want and newspapers too. You can also buy a radio and listen to tunes, or talk radio, sports games etc.
I've seen inmates make chess boards from paper. Talk to their cellmate and also to their neighbors. Work out in the cell, push-ups, situps, dips etc.
And finally....sleep....alot.

I've read through some of your other posts. Now it's time to listen to your lawyer. I hope you did not spend too much money on a prison consultant and with a long sentence looming...expect to go away next week. And not SS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:23 PM

I didn’t spend a lot but I needed to know what I’m in store for. Trust me...I’m done thumbing my nose at authority especially federal. I’m paying a huge price
Old 07-16-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
Every SHU is different, the rules are different.

Ours, we have. A book cart that goes through once a week and each inmate gets 2 books. So in actually you get 4 books a week to read (2 yours and 2 from your cellie plus a bible or Koran)

You can also get all the letters you want and newspapers too. You can also buy a radio and listen to tunes, or talk radio, sports games etc.
I've seen inmates make chess boards from paper. Talk to their cellmate and also to their neighbors. Work out in the cell, push-ups, situps, dips etc.
And finally....sleep....alot.

I've read through some of your other posts. Now it's time to listen to your lawyer. I hope you did not spend too much money on a prison consultant and with a long sentence looming...expect to go away next week. And not SS.
Iím going into custody on Friday night and will transferred to Chicago MDC over the weekend. Iíve never spent a day in jail behind bars so Iím in store for a much needed much deserved reality check.

Thanks for the advice... I will do a lot of pacing and exercise to keep my mind occupied and read whatever I m given. Is my prison uniform different in SHU than GO. Howís the food?
Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss93 View Post
Iím going into custody on Friday night and will transferred to Chicago MDC over the weekend. Iíve never spent a day in jail behind bars so Iím in store for a much needed much deserved reality check.

Thanks for the advice... I will do a lot of pacing and exercise to keep my mind occupied and read whatever I m given. Is my prison uniform different in SHU than GO. Howís the food?
Yes, our guys in SHU wear orange, while the guys in GP wear something else.

It's prison, food sucks no matter how you try and spin it.

Some guys lose weight in SHU, but that is because their calorie intake is a lot less than it is when they are in GP. Usually its the husky guys who lose the weight. In GP there are ways where someone can get double portions and for those that have money eat all the junk food they can carry from the Commissary. You don't have any of that in the SHU, just the three meals a day and some minor stuff like cookies and crackers from the limited Commissary.

But honestly why do you think you will be spending time in the SHU from day one?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCHULZ789 View Post
Here is a little info for those who may deal with this in the near future. This info is specific to USP Marion, only, and is current as of June 2019.

Some of this is a bit more challenging for my friend due to the sharply reduced commissary spending limits that have been in effect for the entire USP (not just the SHU) since the end of March 2019. Commissary spending has been limited to only $75 per month. Other restrictions include one phone call per day, lasting no longer than five minutes. I never thought I would have believed 300 minutes per month was a luxury, yet here I am. Men can receive unlimited messages via Corrlinks/Trulincs, but may only send 150 messages per month (equivalent of five per day). These restrictions are punishment for the presence of illegal drugs at the facility and are across the board, regardless of individual behavior. Maybe the restrictions were lifted for general population on June 1st, but I wouldn't know about it, yet.

No personal books or magazines are allowed in the SHU. Anything of that nature received while your loved one is in the SHU will be held in property until they return to general population.

Men are allowed to shower three times per week. My loved one is not currently allowed to have a comb or brush. He was not issued soap, shampoo or a toothbrush. He may be allowed to purchase basic hygiene items, via commissary, eventually.

Because my friend had hit his $75 monthly commissary spending limit just prior to going to the SHU, he may currently only purchase stamps and OTC meds (commissary is still weekly in the SHU), as those do not count against his spending limit, until he revalidates later this month. A man who had been in his same unit was kind enough to lend him a bar of soap, a small deodorant and shower shoes.

They are issued one flexible pencil without an eraser once per week. There is no ability to sharpen the pencil. Other men might lend their pencil, but no additional pencils are issued, except for one replacement on Saturdays. Because of the terrible quality of the pencil, the address information on letters is proving difficult for the post office to read. Based on dates in letters and postmarks, any delay is not because of the prison holding his mail. Mail is taking five to seven days longer than is typical.

Men are provided with four sheets of notebook paper and four envelopes, per week. I'd assume if someone one is indigent, he would be provided with 4 stamps, also.

As is typical with most SHU situations, my friend will be able to make one phone call after approximately 30 days.

There is no air conditioning in this SHU and it is two men to a cell (sort of an upgrade from the three men to a cell in the climate controlled section of the prison, eh? Okay, probably not). The food is terrible and snacks cannot be purchased via commissary.

So, that's what I know, for now. I hope it helps others to know what to expect, though everything within the BOP is always changing. As I mentioned in an earlier post, anyone is welcome to message me if they are not comfortable posting a question publicly. My friend will be in custody until summer or fall of 2022, so I'm sure I'll continue to learn more and am happy to share information.
Wow thanks for this info. No outside reading materials allowed? What do they expect inmates to do to pass their time peacefully and quietly. I will heading there after all of my sentencing takes effect
Old 07-17-2019, 10:27 PM

[quote=Bikerguy;7785743]Yes, our guys in SHU wear orange, while the guys in GP wear something else.

It's prison, food sucks no matter how you try and spin it.

Some guys lose weight in SHU, but that is because their calorie intake is a lot less than it is when they are in GP. Usually its the husky guys who lose the weight. In GP there are ways where someone can get double portions and for those that have money eat all the junk food they can carry from the Commissary. You don't have any of that in the SHU, just the three meals a day and some minor stuff like cookies and crackers from the limited Commissary.

But honestly why do you think you will be spending time in the SHU from day

I was told I would be held in segregation after sentencing due to 9 new / pending charges are tried...Iím pleading guilty to them in a plea deal for 132 months. According to my consultant this is what the bop does to convicted felons who pose a flight risk and have a rap sheet including perjury like I do. I hope they are incorrect but Iím preparing for worst case scenario. My PO and prosecutor have overemphasized the need for me to get the highest security classification to the judge and the BOP.Trust me Iím not complaining...everything I have coming to me I completely deserve. Is your experience different though? I donít expect to have the 2nd round of charges and plea proceedings completed for another 12-24 months. Iím interested in your take on this though
The Following User Says Thank You to moss93 For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 11:52 PM

I have a quick question for you? How do you know you will be sent to Marion if you haven’t been sentenced yet? Or did I read it wrong? Also how do you know what day you will be transferred? Thanks

OWL

Last edited by Itshardtowait; 07-17-2019 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: Spelling error