Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:06 PM

...Thank you , but I:
Don't own a computer .
Whatever merits there may be in a corrspond- uh , online !!! It's the LATEST , greatest thing !!!!!!!!!!! - They're not really there for someon who's homeless , and can't take up whatever " benefits " there are . Even if I had a laptop or a working smartphone-
Am not at the level for graduate-level anything , really , if I haven't been through the uundergraduate thing ~ Which I am not (I suppose you may be thinking " just take a generl look at what courses are like " but, it is graduate-level , not undergraduate .)
Business/trying for an MBA certainly , as of now anyway , isn't my interest (MAYBE , granted , if I were in the position to go back to college and could find out what I wanted I could find some interest into it somehow - It'd have to be at undergraduate level , however , my rather basic point here is that I never got to DO the " normal " college thing:-( .) and I daresay the language/concepts used in such a course would completely WTF me ~ Maybe I'll look however .
Frankly , since , considering not only that I'm homeless , but that the night before last:
While asleep , some of my bags of stuff were stolen from me , as I slept . Also , my main (of two pair) pair of shoes were stolen from me , as they lay beside me , laying . (the 2nd pair were in one of the bags that were stolen .)
Therefore , I was:
Barefoot . With the diabetic open-wound and bone infection on my bad leg .
Additionally , perscription meds , extra (generic) glasses , fresh underwear , cheap cologne , reading material were all in the bags that were stolen .
Oh , and my blood sugar level turned out to be over 400 , IIRC .
I did get a city street-care/cleaning type to call the ER folks , who took me to the appropriate County hospital , where I got some touching up/treatment , and did receive some substitute shoes ~ " Hospital " shuffle/make the small of your back ache " ones , however . ~ and a replacement perscription , which (as of now) I haven't taken to be filled yet .
Frankly , the sort of " college life " joked/marketed about in Sunday newspapers - bland food in cafeterias and Target ads for " perfect for your dorm room " ` would be a considerable social lift for me !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I honestly don't have any advice about getting your records, but I saw this. Maybe you could check it out just to see what Graduate level courses are like? I wish you the best of luck!

Wharton Puts First-Year MBA Courses Online for Free
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wharton-puts-first-mba-courses-164555193.html
Old 09-27-2013, 06:41 PM

...I have simply spent YEARS if not decades wondering what " real " college life would be life and I WAS " denied it " before - What , if I'm extra-sensible and give up my (attainable) dream , Mr. Burns from the Simpsons will appear to say " That's very sensible , young man " and give me a (cold) pat upon the head and a copper watch ?????????
Again I feel it might be more-gettable loans/grants and jobs that " being sensible " CC/NS only , as people want to push on me , might be...I don't give a fuck whether you (some of) want it for me or not !!!!!!!!! (And you no doubt don't give what i want for you)...I'm not a spouse or a father I suppose it's doubtful at this point in my life that I ever will be I am an " immature person " , fine...and going through this , aside from giving me - hopefully - some educatioon and meeting some people (don't just mean " other students " there , okay ?????) could let me move on , with what's left of my life , after it's all over...I'm crying now...
Old 07-17-2015, 12:54 PM

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituar...322-story.html
The above is the obit of a former San Diego newspaper executive & owner who - in his 70s - went to " standard " residential university and resided on campus , regarding the heavy criticism I received here before for my expressed desire to do so .
This person was a , both in a business sense and , in a " receiving honors " sens , quite a material success in life ~ and generall admired .
And a flipping Republican: !
I have long wanted to reply to/continue this line . This is a very brief , time-rushed , attempt to do so . So , if I get thrown off for this...........
Old 09-01-2015, 04:54 AM

...Small correction:
He was ~ I guess ~ in his 60s , not 70s . Point still applies!
Old 07-30-2016, 05:42 PM

...When I put this up - Eeeps! ~ THREE years ago , now. ~ My expresed desire for a going back to college that involved going to a " regular , four-year residential " university was IIRC jumped all over by everyone who responded to me . I never could quite bring myself to fully read all the angry-at-me responses , especially with my limited computer time .
Well , now I have more , and I'm going to do it ! Sheeesssh.
I will respond after that .
BTW , just to get what I was actually saying staright , I DID NOT state that I refused to go anywhere but a " standard " one . I expressed my willingness to go to community college/night school/et al (On a suitable basis .) as a " try-out/pay your dues/prepare/out of town tryout-Triple A " thing . Okay ?
In fact , one reason I came back to San Francisco was to try to get into Cith College San Francisco ~ I haven't , with my health, and with the fact that my high school and HS-era reords - which you ABSOLUTELY have to present to get into any school (If you should have them , if you went , and I did .) , and mine are all F'd up , the HS I graduated from at least at present is claiming " they can't find them " (however , they seem to have the impression my last name is spelled differently than it is) - I have sad experience with them in the past , the " normal " , " Oh , just fill out an application and your friendly HS alma mater will send your records in to the appropriate plac faster than you can say ' skinky-dinky'-doo ' ! " - Um , THAT DOES NOT apply to me , I know they hav screwed up my records and attempting a " normal " sending in of an app and expecting them to " do right " will just end in them (Metaphorically ?) spitting in my face - I have had experience show me this . They did this before !!!!!!!!! My records have to be found some less conventional way .
Unfortunately , a person who , in 2014 or so , I thought would find my records strung me along for months , then , finally , produced some , not all - Well , anyway , off to reading people yelling at me in 2013 I go !
Old 07-30-2016, 07:32 PM

I began my college studies in the community college system when I was in my early 40's. I continued my undergrad at VCU after doing all that I could at Reynolds to keep costs low. I never took the SAT. If you transfer to a four year school after obtaining your AS, then your community college transcripts will follow you, as will all of your other transcripts. Unless it's Harvard or something, then your transcripts from your most recent school should dominate.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:52 PM

...Well , I wasn't quite as heavily jumped on as I remembered .
However , it did seem some overlooked that , AGAIN , I DID NOT say " I will not initially go to CC/similar " ! I did not say that .
At all . Okay . Didn't I just invoke CCSF ?
I have tried to get my records , and they're still elusive.
If I remember right , someone here made this silly suggestion (that too many people at an Asperger's board I'm on also made) that I should go and get a GED . I do not need a GED .

I graduated from my local HS , I just need the " proof -of-my-existence " HS and -era records , I don't imagine people who had a standard graduation from HS are even allowed to try and " get a GED " . THEY ALREADY HAVE ONE .I don't inagine The Powers That Be want people trying twice ! GEDs are for people who never did standard-graduate from HS ! Furthermore , wouldn't my taking a GED class just take a space from someone who really never did graduate from HS , and needs to take the GED course ? " Zero-sum equation " though that might be...
And I should just give up on getting my HS/-era records and dedicate months or ears ~ at 56 , now ~ to taking HS classes that I'm decades out of step with ? Mediocre though it was , I graduated HS . I just want my paperwork , which I need to present to move on .
In trying to get my records - which , again , I haven't yet ~ I am working up to trying to ask the contactees I have at CCSF whether any credits I got there would be transferable anywhere else but UC/CSU - as I said , this " dunning " situation with the State of CA and myself makes me question that I could get into any of their campuses , anyway - or the general Bay Area .
If I do go to (as I'll borrow a phrase from the Aussies for " standard ") uni , maybe I'd like to go somewhere else but the Bay Area ! Or at least have that option .
If I took courses and found out only after the fact they weren't transferable anywhere else , well...
I would like to take Film . I would have to learn the absolute technical basics , as I haven't been doing film much for the last several decades , and I am not of the " had-a-camcorder-in-the-crib " Now Generation Millennials .
It is apparent that , if I went to CCSF , I would have to initially take what amounts to " bonehead English " and " bonehead Math " as all have to .
Okay .
Perhaps , even if those above are not transferable anywhere else , they're " basics " enough to be worth taking there . But where to take credits-resulting courses then ?
And , I don't know whether " fuller-fledged " courses would be transferable to anywhere else , or how much so if so .
I have , in other words , been looking into it ~ But , the lack of my HS records make me unable to go any further now .
My health , as I indicated , has been a barrier too ~ I have even wondered if , even strictly health-wise ~ I would ever be up to it .
And , I would have to , basically anyway , get 100% grants/" charity case " pyment , to be blunt ~ as well as having a somewhat more secure/fuller kind of accomadations than I now have .
I am still waiting for those records , too ~ and I was trying LAST YEAR at this time or even before to do it !
I am not refusing to go to CC or similar , as beginning step (Or , as my mother said to me , back in the heyday of Andy Gibb and Player ~ " Oh , no ! First you have to prove you DESERVE to go away to college ! " .
Okay , okay , that's an emotional piece.
I'm pretty much turning back to things I've said already , even if I said them sort of sloppily/overly emotionally .
" Standard " uni is still an ambition of mine , and I think ~ Unless i change my mind ! ~ that I will die crying if I (living long enough) never get to do it...

Last edited by BydSarrett; 07-30-2016 at 07:59 PM..
Old 07-30-2016, 07:54 PM

...If I didn't say this already - EVEN COMMUNITY COLLEGE DEMANDS YOUR HS TRANSCRIPTS !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2016, 04:33 PM

All you need for film school is to go on youtube and look up '10 Minute Film School With Robert Rodriguez' also the 'Planet Terror 10 minute film school with Rodriguez'.

Then watch some lighting tutorials.

Then find whatever editing/effects program you want. I used free node.js video effects frameworks like this one (google seriouslyjs.org) all you need is the book 'Eloquent javascript' and just start experimenting, look up anything you don't know. Friend of mine used to make short films and for a school project I helped her add effects and post processing using this and similar javascript frameworks, she's now an assistant producer at a studio after somebody spotted her little short films playing in local indie art houses and she networked with them get into the front office to help make films.

Last edited by biafra; 08-01-2016 at 04:35 PM..
Old 08-01-2016, 04:39 PM

...Again , my own experience (which I don't have time to go into now - plus , it depresses me) does show me that schools require your hS/-era stuff , as " proof of your experience " :-( , etc. Yes they do .
I'd like to go to standard uni because , for one , living in a campus and eating at the cafeteria there would be rather superior to eating at charity giveawys in the f'x23' Tenderloin ~ certainly after all these years ~ and my rather cruddy room .
And a distinct improvement in social status , too . Not " social " as in friend , status . Ya think being " an overaged student " is considered to be of higher status than being " ex-homeless " in the crappy Tenderloin/area ?