Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:11 PM

Default Torn between computer science or business adminstration major

I am hoping to be able to go back to school in the spring. Right now my major is computer science. I haven't taken any classes yet but I have heard the professors at the local cc are very good in that area. I chose it because I figured computers will always be around and I would like to learn about all the computer programs. I have no experience with Word, Access, or Excel and they do offer courses on those. I have used similar programs but not the exact ones. Lately though I have also been thinking about business administration and going into accounting. I am very detail oriented and love facts and figures. However with my felonies I am not sure if they will play in more heavily in one field over the other. I have heard that in accounting you don't have to be a CPA you can still work that field without being licensed. Last time I talked to one of the counselors at school he wasn't very helpful. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2013, 12:43 PM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

I don't really know much about either except I think with computer's now the way to go is to pick a software or hardware type more so than just computer program. I know a bunch of people in my math class were doing like Cisco. I think if you did both you could really open up your job possibilities. Having dual degree's could always open up more job possibilities then just having one or the other. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck to you.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:04 PM

What I wonder about is if I will need a license for either since i'm a felon. I don't think I will for computers and I don't plan on becoming a CPA. I think I read somewhere that you still go into accounting and do other things without being a CPA.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:29 PM

Thanked 1,614 Times in 525 Posts

Business degrees are as common as weeds, as are accounting degrees. Unless you go to MBA or MPA, you'll be surrounded by all the competetion you can dream of. Take a look at the graduation figures from colleges in your area. Compare the number coming out of the business school to the number coming out of the sciences departments. Those are the numbers that will be trying to get the same job you are applying for.

All things being equal, either field may have certain limitations to where you can work with a fenoly. For example, you are unlikely to get a job in state or local government in IT if you would be in any position to have access to law enforcement systems. This includes technician, network admin, systems admin, and so on.

I'd recommend looking at jobs now, before you invest in any discipline. Call people that are hiring and see if your felony would prevent you from being considered. If you had the degree and couldn't get the job now, you won't be able to later.

Best of luck