Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > McCreary USP and FPC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

McCreary USP and FPC Topics and Discussions relating to the United States Penitentiary (USP) and Federal Prison Camp (FPC) in McCreary, Kentucky.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Default HELP...Brother-in-law self surrendering to Mccreary FPC

My brother is self surrendering to McCreary FPC at end of the month. We donít know anything about the prison system...visitation...how soon we can fill out paperwork to see him...how many visitors at a time...do they move to other camps frequently...really anything you think would help us and him prepare. Plus I see a lot of threads about lock down. Would that include him too? I donít even know what that means. Sorry for the long post.
Thank you so much!

Last edited by HEM0456; 05-07-2019 at 11:42 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2019, 01:26 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,509 Times in 12,964 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope you get answers from folks who have visited at the McCreary camp. Here is a link to the bop web page with the visitation rules.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/mcr/

The camp and the penitentiary have the same visiting days & hours, but that may be the only thing they share since the USP rules are much stricter than those enforced at the camp.

If you are listed as immediate family on his presentence investigation report, you should be approved to visit without having to file a visitor's application, but it might not happen immediately, so he will have to tell you when his visitor's list has been approved. Here are some other things that are a mystery to anyone who hasn't been a bop prisoner:

He should be scheduled for a one or two day A&O, admissions and orientation program soon. He will learn about the policies, visitation, phones, Email, commissary, etc., there.

The first time approvals for a new inmate can take awhile, but usually not more than a week. He will provide a list of every phone number he will be allowed to call, and a proposed visitor's list to his counselor.

The phone list requires approval, input into the ITS (inmate telephone system) computer and one more hurdle, receiving a 9 digit phone pin # in the mail. Once all of that happens, he can call collect, or use the phone and pin# to transfer funds ($1.00 on up) from the commissary account to purchase prepaid phone minutes. Calls now cost 6 cents/min for local numbers, and 21 cents/min for all others. "Call forwarding", including google voice, is not allowed by the bop, and can cause the loss of all phone privileges

Email (5 cents/min whenever logged into the terminal to read or write messages) requires him to send an invitation email, which you must reply to in order to be able to use the system, so be sure to check things like spam and trash folders too.

His monthly phone and commissary limits, 300 phone minutes (an extra 100 in Nov. & Dec) and around $320.00 for commissary (stamps and over the counter meds do not count against her spending limit) will roll over to the next period on the same day each month. The fifth digit in his inmate ID# xxxxX-xxx, times 3, plus one, so if the number is 2, his monthly limits will refresh on the 7th of each month, with no carryover of unused amounts.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:55 PM

Thank you so much for taking to time to share the information! Itís a lot to understand. Do you know how work assignment are for the camp? As far as his money, it seems like between paying for emails, phone and purchases the money doesnít go very far?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HEM0456 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-08-2019), Sarianna (05-20-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 09:21 PM

Hi, my hubby is in the camp. He has been there six weeks. It took two days before he was able to call. He said that the atmosphere isnt bad and the inmates are respectful. The CO's are fine as long as you don't do anything wrong, they dont bother you. It's a huge dormitories setting and all bunks are in one room. There is a YouTube video that shows the inside of the camp. I believe it's called Club Fed. Hope this helps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SUMI67 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-20-2019), HEM0456 (05-24-2019), Sarianna (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMI67 View Post
Hi, my hubby is in the camp. He has been there six weeks. It took two days before he was able to call. He said that the atmosphere isnt bad and the inmates are respectful. The CO's are fine as long as you don't do anything wrong, they dont bother you. It's a huge dormitories setting and all bunks are in one room. There is a YouTube video that shows the inside of the camp. I believe it's called Club Fed. Hope this helps.
Is there a YouTube video that shows the inside of the penitentiary? Iíve been looking!!
Old 05-21-2019, 06:57 PM

I am unable to post the link, but the video is called Club Fed white Collar Crime by rdapdan.
The Following User Says Thank You to SUMI67 For This Useful Post:
jerrellswifey (05-22-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMI67 View Post
THANK YOU SO MUCH! That video was so helpful.