Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > 911 > Prison Petitions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Petitions Post all petitions here.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:26 PM

Default Please Read: Visitation drastically reduced petition

Hello all,

This is time sensitive.

Currently in MA they have scheduled for implementation a pilot program to drastically reduce visitation hours at the medium/minimum prisons. I would really appreciate it if you all could sign and pass along the petition located at the url below:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/...hedule-at-ncci

Thank you so much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2017, 03:26 PM

Thanked 8,184 Times in 4,817 Posts

What does agency policy state about visitation periods? If the unit was offering broader periods of time than was required, then they also have the discretion to scale hours back. Operational needs is often executive code for short-staffed...and the Courts have long recognized security needs as taking precedence over most all else...
Old 03-17-2017, 03:30 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 26,562 Times in 12,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
Hello all,

This is time sensitive.

Currently in MA they have scheduled for implementation a pilot program to drastically reduce visitation hours at the medium/minimum prisons. I would really appreciate it if you all could sign and pass along the petition located at the url below:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/...hedule-at-ncci

Thank you so much in advance.
I signed it for you...I hope it does some good
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Abi (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
I signed it for you...I hope it does some good

Thank you so much. So very appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
What does agency policy state about visitation periods? If the unit was offering broader periods of time than was required, then they also have the discretion to scale hours back. Operational needs is often executive code for short-staffed...and the Courts have long recognized security needs as taking precedence over most all else...
I very often appreciate your no-nonsense approach to posts and issues. And if the question here was indeed whether or not MA was not providing their bare minimum of visitation I would appreciate this post as well. However, as I am sure you have read the petition, the issue is not the latter. It is that visits are already overcrowded, and the removal of a weekday will severely impact the ability of family (esp those who work weekends which usually include Fridays) to visit their loved ones. And then, therefore, impact the community as a whole in an indirect way. My husband was just moved a few months ago from a max security prison in MA to NCCI. While the visiting periods were short, especially given my 6 hour weekly round trip, they were offered on weekends, fridays and midweek. To try to accommodate schedules. At NCCI, where people are already getting kicked out of visits after 40min because of overcrowding due to the current allotted hours, to reduce hours to this extreme and to only have visits fri-sun, is, really, ridiculous.

BUT, if you dont feel the same, that is totally cool, just dont sign the petition.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:30 AM

Signed
Old 03-19-2017, 02:16 AM

This is not an issue affecting just MA. There is at this very moment a somewhat covert operation that is being implemented across the BOP at random facilities as part of a trial program to see what kind of pushback there is to taking away visitations. At the same time they are beginning to implement video visitation at other facilities. They will eventually offer one as a solution to the other and contact visits will no longer be an option under the current administration. The BOP has pretty much figured out that with the excessive bullying and harassment of visitors over the years they have us all where they want us. We can't speak out to loudly and we can't make it known who we are when we do or they WILL retaliate against your loved ones. Circumstances are unfortunately not much different at State and Private prisons. The end goal is to eliminate contact visitation.
The Following User Says Thank You to ♥MYINKDSCORPI0♡ For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Congress has already started fighting back. You could ask your representative to introduce or sponsor another bill like HR 6441 from last year: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...1%22%5D%7D&r=1 and scroll down to the summary. It would have stopped them from using video visits in place of in-person visits. Meanwhile, I'll cheer you on about the petition. Good work. Keep going.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
♥MYINKDSCORPI0♡ (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Congress has already started fighting back. You could ask your representative to introduce or sponsor another bill like HR 6441 from last year: and scroll down to the summary. It would have stopped them from using video visits in place of in-person visits. Meanwhile, I'll cheer you on about the petition. Good work. Keep going.
I don't think this will go anywhere positive under the current administration personally I think it will be floated downhill and forgotten along with the other issues and they will proceed with the suspensions of visitations as they have right now. I have been trying to find a list of all current suspended or modified schedules as I know they have to report but every time I go to the pages I get a forbidden access message.