Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:06 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,560 Times in 2,450 Posts
Default A criminal record may not be the obstacle to employment that it once was

A criminal record may not be the obstacle to employment that it once was

"A criminal record may not be the obstacle to employment that it once was
A study sheds new light on hiring workers with criminal records.

People who have criminal records get a raw deal when it comes to employment. Despite the fact that approximately one-third of American adults (70 million) have a criminal record, it can present a difficult barrier to overcome in a job search."

https://www.monster.com/career-advic...usiness-pledge
Billys_Lady (07-20-2018), Minor activist (07-20-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2019, 02:11 PM

Having released from prison recently I can tell you this article is completely bogus. I had conversations during job interviews who went from "We love you and would love to get you started" to "Oh, well, we'll have to run it internally. If you don't hear from us that means we have moved on to a different candidate".

Having a Felony record is the professional equivalent of a Scarlet letter. Can you find a decent job paying more than minimum wage? Absolutely! Just be prepared to deal with a lot of rejections until you do find that one employer who understands your situation and is willing to give you a chance.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chuck.Finley For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-12-2019), GaReform (07-21-2019), Lordbew/us (08-10-2019), newtothisinariz (08-12-2019), sidewalker (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:12 PM

Thanked 1,786 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.Finley View Post
Having released from prison recently I can tell you this article is completely bogus. I had conversations during job interviews who went from "We love you and would love to get you started" to "Oh, well, we'll have to run it internally. If you don't hear from us that means we have moved on to a different candidate".

Having a Felony record is the professional equivalent of a Scarlet letter. Can you find a decent job paying more than minimum wage? Absolutely! Just be prepared to deal with a lot of rejections until you do find that one employer who understands your situation and is willing to give you a chance.

I totally agree & have seen my son go through this. He's in the Atlanta area too. He had 15 excellent job offers & all were rescinded once the background came up. It didn't matter that before then he was considered their perfect choice. He tried every way to make it acceptable to employers. He tried telling recruiters (they dropped him), waiting til the offer (they rescinded it 15 times), even telling them during the interview (had a guy rush out of the room like he was contagious).
He has become an advocate for reform & even was involved in getting the Governor to sign the Second Chance Month proclamation in April. Hasn't helped him get a job & pay the bills though.
Hope you have found that rare jewel of a compassionate employer. Please consider reaching out to one of the Atlanta area advocacy groups & helping them in the fight to end legal discrimination against those who have been labeled by their past. I know of a few good places to start.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-12-2019), Lordbew/us (07-26-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
I totally agree & have seen my son go through this. He's in the Atlanta area too. He had 15 excellent job offers & all were rescinded once the background came up. It didn't matter that before then he was considered their perfect choice. He tried every way to make it acceptable to employers. He tried telling recruiters (they dropped him), waiting til the offer (they rescinded it 15 times), even telling them during the interview (had a guy rush out of the room like he was contagious).
He has become an advocate for reform & even was involved in getting the Governor to sign the Second Chance Month proclamation in April. Hasn't helped him get a job & pay the bills though.
Hope you have found that rare jewel of a compassionate employer. Please consider reaching out to one of the Atlanta area advocacy groups & helping them in the fight to end legal discrimination against those who have been labeled by their past. I know of a few good places to start.
Thank you.

I have come to hard acceptance that seeking a livelihood with professional career is out of the question for the time being. I am working in retail right now for just over $10/hr and struggling to make ends meet. But I have to keep reminding myself that at least is not prison and the worse is behind me. Because I am still under probation I am not in a place to reach out to any advocacy groups because I cannot associate myself with other felons. However, once probation is over in the next few years I will definitely do my best to support anyone facing challenges due to their felony convictions.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chuck.Finley For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-12-2019), Lordbew/us (07-26-2019), Lovebirds (08-10-2019), sidewalker (07-22-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 06:04 PM

Donít get discouraged. Given that what, a third of Americans know someone with a criminal record, times are changing. The low unemployment rate is also helping to shape how corporate America view criminal records. It may be a slow process but itís changing.

I manage a hotel and Iím so happy that Iíve been able to convince the owners to give people second chances. While we donít hire anyone with violence or theft on their record, about 30% of our employees have criminal records. Three of our employees are currently on probation and we adjust their schedules around requirements for their probation.

You might want to look for jobs with smaller companies. Running a background check is about $20 and I know many companies who donít check backgrounds for that very reason. Also, if itís a possibility, moving to a more progressive area like Austin, New York, Seattle, Portland etc can help too.
04/05/2016 I immigrated to the US
10/27/2016 My husband received Presidential clemency

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lovebirds For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-12-2019), fbopnomore (08-11-2019), sidewalker (08-11-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 07:06 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,936 Posts

I too am a felon and I think the type of crimes comes into play when getting a job.

I understand that all felonies are bad, but there are some crimes that many people think of as worse than others.
choclgs (08-12-2019), fbopnomore (08-11-2019), GaReform (08-12-2019), Itshardtowait (08-11-2019), sidewalker (08-11-2019)