Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:35 PM

Default Questions about HWH and Home Confinement

Hey all,
Iím picking my brother up next week from FCI Petersburg and taking him to his HWH. He will be on home confinement here. He is a disabled vet, no resources yet and I am so confused as to the whole process. I met his PO who will be involved when he is on supervised release. Seems to be a fair guy.
Can anyone tell me when I might find out if he will be wearing an ankle monitor and if I would need to have a phone line? We have internet and cable at the present. How would he afford the ankle monitor? Like I said no resources and lots of prior debt.
We gotten some clothes for him (hope they fit), a flip phone (thatís per the HWH) and they said he will be there for at least 5 or more days.
Can anyone share their experience?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2019, 04:37 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,476 Times in 12,943 Posts

He might have to live at the half way house for awhile before he is allowed to live at home. Depending on how that is set up, he could be supervised by the HWH staff (transfers from the HWH) or by a US Probation Officer (home confinement directly from prison). They will decide if he has to have an ankle monitor, but it is unlikely that he will. You will need a landline home phone with no features like call forwarding, and he may receive a phone call every early morning to check that he is actually where he is supposed to be.

For me, which may be different for him, I had to live in the HWH for half the time, and satisfy the job requirement (if he can document his disability, that satisfies the HWH job requirement) before home confinement.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:15 AM

Hey fbopnomore,
Thank you so much for the reply. The knowledge you share with everyone is invaluable. I just wanted to say that.
I’m already getting anxious about picking up and getting him there to HWH bit on time but a little early on Tuesday. I feel like I’m in limbo trying to get answers and that’s why your help is greatly appreciated! I know some family members are not on board yet with him coming here but I told them I believe everyone deserves a second chance and I’m not the one to be messed with. Back story is he lived with us for a bit, I didn’t recognize he had a problem with any drugs (he hid it well) he was doing work for friends at church, neighbors, then one day took a bunch of stuff out of our garage, pawned it and took off. It was devastating, and it took me a longtime to get back up after that. That’s what they are looking at. He was working in upper management for a power company, has his degree, and he said his depression led him down a bad path and it wasn’t a mistake, it was a choice. I’m just hoping and praying that being in for seven years taught him something.
He can’t understand why people would want to go back. I said no support system, nothing there and what’s the alternative....anyway I did have a phone line through the cable company but someone said I needed a different one. The one company here Cox Cable has phone service but it’s not a pots line, it goes through the modem so if the system is down so us the phone. Should I just wait?
The Following User Says Thank You to DJean For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Whoever requires the phone line will tell you what is necessary. My thought is that they are mainly interested in knowing the phone they are calling is actually located where he is supposed to be, but they decide what satisfies that requirement.

I went from Petersburg to Seattle on AMTRAK. People who were driven by family members often complained about the amount of travel time they received from the case manager, but they were given phone numbers for both the prison and the HWH to report any problems en route.

His attitude will determine his success, or the lack of it, when he is released. You can point him in the right direction, but it will be totally up to him. It is extremely important for him to take every rule and restriction very seriously. The majority of supervised release violations resulting in a return to prison are petty; late for a meeting with the PO, not reporting a minor traffic ticket, stuff like that. SR will end, and compliance can be a pain, but as long as his "job number one" is making sure he never goes back to prison, it will be easy(easier anyway).
Old 08-17-2019, 10:02 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,480 Times in 1,425 Posts

If he's a disabled veteran, HE HAS A HUGE WEALTH OF RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE AFFORDED TO HIM. He needs to get plugged in with the VA asap.
fbopnomore (08-17-2019), safran (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Whoever requires the phone line will tell you what is necessary. My thought is that they are mainly interested in knowing the phone they are calling is actually located where he is supposed to be, but they decide what satisfies that requirement.

I went from Petersburg to Seattle on AMTRAK. People who were driven by family members often complained about the amount of travel time they received from the case manager, but they were given phone numbers for both the prison and the HWH to report any problems en route.

His attitude will determine his success, or the lack of it, when he is released. You can point him in the right direction, but it will be totally up to him. It is extremely important for him to take every rule and restriction very seriously. The majority of supervised release violations resulting in a return to prison are petty; late for a meeting with the PO, not reporting a minor traffic ticket, stuff like that. SR will end, and compliance can be a pain, but as long as his "job number one" is making sure he never goes back to prison, it will be easy(easier anyway).
All true. His halfway house will be in Newport News VA so about 1 1/2 hours from Petersburg. I thought he might have gotten the one in Norfolk VA nearest here but they were full. Weíre going up early as itís 2 hours from us to get him there by 11:00 am. @ the HWH what typically happens after check in? Also what do guys do when there is a mountain of old debt waiting this side. Not restitution just old debt. I hope all of that is addressed in some type of program.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
If he's a disabled veteran, HE HAS A HUGE WEALTH OF RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE AFFORDED TO HIM. He needs to get plugged in with the VA asap.
Thanks Firebrand. There is a VA center not too far from where he will be and heís been talking about getting there. At Hwh do they help facilitate rides? Not a great public transportation system. I put in a call to a DAV rep that does transport but he wasnít sure when he would be over by where heíll be.
Thanks for the reply, and yes all us vets gotta stick together. Any organizations you can suggest?
Firebrand (08-18-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 10:56 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

At the HWH he will be restricted to the building for 72 hours, probably no visits either, but you may still be able to drop things off. He then needs to complete orientation before he is eligible for most passes, although some, doctors, church, shopping, etc, may be approved. I hope you aren't too optimistic about home confinement after only 5 days, so he should ask his HWH counselor about it The HWH and the bop community corrections manager both have to approve HC.

For "residents" (not called an inmate any longer even though he is still in bop custody at the HWH) with no money, the HWH may provide bus vouchers, but mine was very unhelpful.

I recommend checking with a lawyer about his debt. My guess is that his credit score is awful already, so a bankruptcy could resolve the old debt without hurting his credit future very much. The VA has debt counselors too, but be careful about what he decides to do, like payment plans. Coming out of prison can be an opportunity to fix old indebtedness once and forever.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:

I wanted to add he is a first time offender (drugs) and his SR from what I understand after his sentence is completed is 5 years. I was like wow seven in and 5 after. Itís like the time is never over :/
Old 08-17-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
At the HWH he will be restricted to the building for 72 hours, probably no visits either, but you may still be able to drop things off. He then needs to complete orientation before he is eligible for most passes, although some, doctors, church, shopping, etc, may be approved. I hope you aren't too optimistic about home confinement after only 5 days, so he should ask his HWH counselor about it The HWH and the bop community corrections manager both have to approve HC.

For "residents" (not called an inmate any longer even though he is still in bop custody at the HWH) with no money, the HWH may provide bus vouchers, but mine was very unhelpful.

I recommend checking with a lawyer about his debt. My guess is that his credit score is awful already, so a bankruptcy could resolve the old debt without hurting his credit future very much. The VA has debt counselors too, but be careful about what he decides to do, like payment plans. Coming out of prison can be an opportunity to fix old indebtedness once and forever.
Hi again,
No no expectations really. Just realizing how much time has passed and we lost our other sibling while he was in, and I think itís all just hitting me at once. I would love to see him succeed but I know itís up to him. He def has our support. I think itís going to be emotional for me just to see him walking out.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

My biggest issue with the federal government is supervised release. First you serve your entire prison sentence, no parole, and then begin a second sentence of supervised release, from years to now even "lifetime SR". What that means is that the US District Court judges can return anyone to prison for any minor "violation", with an even lower standard of proof than at trial. It can be a merry go round back and forth to federal prison.

A close second is how the bop allows their prisons to be roach and mouse infested, I guess they haven't heard of exterminators. Epstein and his lawyers all complained about the mouse/roach infestations at MCC NY, and I saw the same thing at Lewisburg, Petersburg and Atlanta. When I returned to the Lewisburg hole for the second time, the mice had a welcome back party for me.

Having a great support system, and a commitment of never returning to prison gives him an excellent chance for success.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:17 PM

Mice had a party omg :boogie
fbopnomore (08-18-2019)