Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2018, 12:35 PM
belleminahere belleminahere is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: California USA
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Petitioning the court for early release in California?

Hello, My son is currently incarcerated in CA doing a seven year sentence of which he has done 5 yrs on so far. He heard that he can petition the court for an earlier release date even though he accepted a deal and it says he is a violent offender. Who can I find out from?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2018, 04:21 PM
fbopnomore fbopnomore is offline
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 29,634
Thanks: 47,232
Thanked 22,815 Times in 13,128 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I moved your question to the California legal forum for better answers. There are a number of links that may also be helpful by doing a google search for "ca prison early release".
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 05:55 PM
miamac's Avatar
miamac miamac is offline
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 


Join Date: May 2013
Location: ORnativeAZresCAtied
Posts: 11,491
Thanks: 15,593
Thanked 23,071 Times in 8,151 Posts

There are a few ways to reduce your sentence...being five years into a seven year stretch, he should be close to a release date. If he's had write-ups and loss of good time, none of those avenues are going to be open to him.

Do you know his EPRD? If not, look on the inmate locator using his CDC#. It's listed on the first page.

For those wanting to pursue avenues of sentence reduction there are appeal processes through the court, writs of habeas corpus through the court, commutations and pardons through the governor's office and then, of course, the parole process.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-14-2018), gvalliant (09-13-2018), oshaye (09-16-2018), qwerty (09-13-2018), Sarianna (09-13-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 06:18 AM
sarita88 sarita88 is offline
Registered User
Donation Award 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 120
Thanks: 1
Thanked 74 Times in 53 Posts

There is no avenue for obtaining early release at this point. If there was some defect in the conviction or the sentence, he could have appealed.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
California Tells Court It Can’t Release Inmates Early Because It Would Lose TerriinCA California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes 1 11-17-2014 05:36 PM
Petitioning the court, WA NewKidOnTheBlok Washington Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail 3 12-03-2009 09:36 PM
CA Court - Early Release & SCC News angel55 California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes 6 12-11-2008 11:46 AM
WA Early Release and LFO Court Ruling PhilB Washington Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service 8 02-03-2008 02:44 PM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:12 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics