Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Education Inside
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Education Inside Dedicated to all issues related to prisoner education.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:51 AM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 799 Posts
Default California has good results

Moderators, I don't know whether this belongs in the California subforum.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40547877...essive-results describes CA offering college classes and seeing recidivism go way down.

Quote:
Flash forward three years and in 2017, 34 out of the state’s 35 prisons now offer some form of face-to-face college classes in partnership with state and community colleges. So far, 4,500 inmates have enrolled. That makes California a national model for prison system educational reform, according to a new report by Corrections to College California, which is part of Renewing Communities, a joint initiative with the Opportunity Institute, a nonprofit that promotes social mobility and equality, and the Stanford Criminal Justice Center.
In the article, each of those names is a link.
Nickel Timer (04-21-2018), Sarianna (04-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2018, 02:08 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 23,162 Times in 8,180 Posts

I can't believe I'm saying this but, my husband is having an amazing education experience inside-- now.

I feel really blessed that he has access to both distance learning and face to face classes. He gains from both. Peer lead education (non-academic, skill building and personal growth) is also abundant at his facility. He can't do everything he wants to do because there isn't enough time in the week. That's saying something!

However, CDC needs to stop using security as an excuse to keep education and groups at a minimum on the upper level yards. I understand the concerns and the reality of managing volatile offenders. But the waiting lists for inmates who have demonstrated a desire and willingness to color inside the lines is long. There's no good reason it should take three years for an inmate just to get into a GED class. None.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (04-22-2018), sidewalker (04-22-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 09:52 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this but, my husband is having an amazing education experience inside-- now.

I feel really blessed that he has access to both distance learning and face to face classes. He gains from both. Peer lead education (non-academic, skill building and personal growth) is also abundant at his facility. He can't do everything he wants to do because there isn't enough time in the week. That's saying something!

However, CDC needs to stop using security as an excuse to keep education and groups at a minimum on the upper level yards. I understand the concerns and the reality of managing volatile offenders. But the waiting lists for inmates who have demonstrated a desire and willingness to color inside the lines is long. There's no good reason it should take three years for an inmate just to get into a GED class. None.
When you say upper levels, do you mean Level 4 or does that also include Level 3? Does this also mean that Level 3 and 4 are limited in earning milestone and rehabilitation credits?
Old 04-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 23,162 Times in 8,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo527 View Post
When you say upper levels, do you mean Level 4 or does that also include Level 3? Does this also mean that Level 3 and 4 are limited in earning milestone and rehabilitation credits?
I was referring to Level 4 yards having limited (not absent, just not as abundant) access to education. I'm hoping that with the introduction of milestones for violent offenders that changes, but in the past and in the beginning talks of prop 57, CDCR used facility security as a reason to restrict available programs. It does vary from facility to facility. Mine was at a 4 where it was scarce, then at a 3 where it was available but still with long waiting lists and now at a 3 with ample opportunities.

All inmates eligible to earn milestones can earn up to 12 weeks per year. It's based on sentencing and not security level.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-28-2018)