Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:37 AM

Default Oregon DOC - Is communication with victim/spouse allowed?

So my husband has been in prison for 5 month and we have communicated frequently since his sentencing. After sentencing, the DA informed me that the no contact order would be terminated and if I didnít want to accept his phone calls I could block them.
The charges didnít occur until 2yrs later and at that point, the violence did not continue. It was a one time event and we later got married. We get a long very well, as best friends. We are very supportive of each other and confident we will be in a good place when he is released.
HOWEVER he still has 10 months left and now that he has transferred to a 4th facility, the counselor tells him he is not supposed to communicate with me - the victim!!! Really? We understand visitation restrictions but his new counselor told him he canít write or call me per DOC Policies regarding victims. I do not see anything like that state in their policies! I have communicated with his previous counselors and My husband has mentioned the communication/circumstances to them as well. Yet they never discouraged communication. Itís so bizarre to me. But I donít know what argument to present to this new counselor. Please give me some insight if you have been a victim of DV and continued communication.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2019, 06:55 AM

That does sound crazy though that there has been no issue before. Different facilities have different rules though.

With only 10 months left I wouldn't press the issue though. It would suck to get more time added or make his current time any harder than it has to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefinder For This Useful Post:
GingerM (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,468 Times in 3,306 Posts

First, welcome to PTO. I'm sorry you need us, but am glad you found us.

I had to do some digging to find this one. Here's the applicable law:

https://secure.sos.state.or.us/oard/...VrsnRsn=259167

Part 2C(e) is the pertinent part: "Is a victim of the inmate’s crime(s) of conviction, past or present, and the crime is a person felony or person misdemeanor crime as defined in the Oregon Administrative Rules, 213-003-0001; "

It sounds like you two slipped through the cracks initially, then he transferred to somewhere that is following the law as written. Unfortunately, there isn't really any way to fight against that when it's so clearly spelled out. No wiggle room.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news If you attempt to communicate anyway, it's possible that they can charge him with a new crime (because what I linked to above is a law, so he'd be breaking the law while inside, which is also a new crime in addition to breaking the law I linked).

I am so very sorry.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:16 PM

I agree with ginger. In Oregon you got kind of lucky that you were able to speak. The DA can say whatever but once the DOC gets you they do what they want.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:49 PM

Thank You for taking time to respond! I read the statute/rule you referenced above but it is about visitation. We knew that wouldn’t be allowed. So we only wrote to each other and weekly phone calls. His new counselor said I can still send mail though (he can’t) until he clears it up with DOC I’m bummed about not being able to communicate because he is my emotional support. Life is tough out here on my own.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,468 Times in 3,306 Posts

I hope that things can be cleared up, but depending on who's running the show, be prepared that they won't allow contact. The reason I put the visiting up is because it's pretty clear that there is to be no contact with a victim. That includes the victim contacting him. I do think you got lucky and the mail room just didn't realize mail from you wasn't supposed to be getting through

Life is tough on your own. We're here for you, though I realize it's not the same.