Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Indiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 02-06-2007, 09:47 AM
GeorgiaAsphalt

Default Visits and Marriage Denied in Indiana

I just got off the phone with the man in charge of visitor approval at Wabash Valley Correctional Facility. I was recommended that I be denied any visits to my fiance.

I used to work for Aramark Foods and we were a contract employees to the state. I am being turned down for this reason. Also they say they were investigation me for inappropriate offender contact. I quit the job as soon as I realized I was in love with my guy. I had been told that I could petition after a year. I never realized that they would deny me. The man also told me that even if he transfered to a facility that I had never worked at that I wouldn't be allowed to see him and that I wouldn't be allowed to marry him and that this was in no way a violation of his rights.

This has been the longest year of my life. My year is up and I still can't see him. I can apply again 1 year from now but, he told me it would probably be denied forever. I am on the verge of losing my mind. I have waited so long for happiness and waited so long to be in his arms. That is why I quit the job to start with is that I didn't want to hide my feelings.

I know someone who actually got married by proxy (not legal in Indiana but, they managed it). Since they had a legal marriage license they couldn't deny his visits she said. Also she had to get a letter of recommendation from a State Representative and a letter from the Commissioner to get to see him. I wanted to be legally married and not have to go by proxy. I am at the end of my rope. When my fiance finds all this out he will lose it. He hasn't had a write up in a year. He is really trying to stay on the straight and narrow. He's finally happy and he just wants to do right. He's even in college now.

If anyone knows anything that can help me PLEASE let me know. If anyone knows anyone that can help me PLEASE let me know that also. I have nothing but pure intentions. I don't intend to traffic or do anything illegal. I went the right route by quitting the job. If I had known I'd never be able to see him I would have tried to stay working there so that at least I would have been able to see hime. I just love him so much and I need to see him. I doubt that it helps that I am white and he is black and we live in a very racist part of Southern Indiana. Also, my landlord (who hasn't had a kind word to say to me since she found out about "us") is the secretary to the man who made the recommendation to deny my visits.

Anything to help me out of my plight would be most appreciated! Thanks, Kim
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Making US stronger!!
Donation Award 

I am moving this into the Indiana State forum so someone there who might be more familiar with the rules can be of more assistance to you....good luck and dont give up!!!!

Kelly
Old 02-07-2007, 11:01 PM

Oh girl I am sorry to hear of this you are in a pickle and I dont know any thing at all about this topic. I will research the fourms here and see what i can come up with. Untill then maybe some one here has an idea. God Bless and Hugs Kris

My Groom is Home
Old 02-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Wizard of Oz Member
Donation Award 

Write the Commissioner and your state representatives. Sounds like one of those "good ole boys" sydroms. Especially the part about the secretary being your landlady. What a crock! Contact the warden at the facility also. It could be he doesn't even know anything about the denial and your situation, or he could be mis-informed. Sometimes when you ask enough people you find out where the catch is. Once my husband had money missing from his account and I finally told them it didn't make any difference to me who investigated the situation, me, them or Channel 8 news. Within 24 hours the situation was resolved. They "found" his money. Imagine that. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:28 PM
I LOVE MY HUSBAND

Default Marriage by proxy

according to some of the counties that is how you can get married to inmates by proxy. but the county clerks do what they want to do so you have to get an court order against the clerks office. this is what i was told because they want to give a run around about the marriage to the inmates because of the law that the attorney general in indiana sais that the state where the inmate was arrested is the state where you have to get the marriage licenses from. you have to get a court order to be able to marry some inmates in indiana.