Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Crime & Court Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Crime & Court Talk News and discussion on all things to do with crime and/or the court system.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,819 Times in 2,087 Posts
Default Dylann Roof's 9 life sentences on state murder charges

Dylann Roof's 9 life sentences on state murder charges 'surest' route to federal execution, prosecutor says

"Guilty."

Dylann Roof spoke the word Monday that closed a dark chapter for the loved ones and a Charleston community shaken by his hate-fueled killings of nine black worshippers at Emanuel AME Church."

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/d...80fee388b.html
Old 04-10-2017, 05:39 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,270 Times in 6,966 Posts

I think he either came to his senses about the suicide thing or decided federal death row was much better than state death row. Either way, good to see this chapter end. While I do think trump is going to go on a death warrant writing spree here sometime before his 4 years are up, Mr. Roof is well away from being threatened by it.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
I think he either came to his senses about the suicide thing or decided federal death row was much better than state death row. Either way, good to see this chapter end. While I do think trump is going to go on a death warrant writing spree here sometime before his 4 years are up, Mr. Roof is well away from being threatened by it.

He's safer in federal custody than state. I gather that's why they went with the federal trial first.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 26,959 Times in 9,822 Posts

He's still a mental case of some sort....not M'naughton-worthy, clearly, but so deeply disturbed.
AndyS (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 11:19 AM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
He's still a mental case of some sort....not M'naughton-worthy, clearly, but so deeply disturbed.
that can be said for a lot of these mass murderers. It's too bad guns are easier to get and less expensive than mental health help.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
liveweyerd (05-25-2017), marco1969 (07-13-2017), Raf's Girl (07-14-2017), rnsgaig (07-13-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,158 Times in 1,495 Posts

"It's too bad guns are easier to get and less expensive than mental health help."

I seriously doubt Dylann thinks he needs mental health help and forcing somebody to get it doesn't do too much good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
AndyS (05-01-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (07-13-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 04:00 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
"It's too bad guns are easier to get and less expensive than mental health help."

I seriously doubt Dylann thinks he needs mental health help and forcing somebody to get it doesn't do too much good.
Considering Jered Laughner and the Colorado Theater Shooter both wound up with a lot more insight before plea/trial, I have hopes.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
marco1969 (07-13-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:45 AM
Alferd Packer fan

Thanked 1,023 Times in 590 Posts

Am I the only one that sees there is a problem with this case? Yes, murder is horrible, but I'm not talking about that.

Who took the pics of Dylann when he was burning the American flag? Look at the pics. Someone had to take it. That tells me he's not the only dog in this fight. A remote won't do it, you can see he's not holding one. A timer is not long enough for him to get that far away and pose in time for a pic.

Then look at Jared Loughner.

Then look at the kid that got busted a few months back for making terroristic threats. The agent had to DRIVE the kids FROM his mom's home, where he was staying, to his grandfather's where he got the money for the guns. Uhhh, why did the agent drive him? Why couldn't he do it himself?

I am gravely concerned about a lot of this crap happening and it seems the disabled are the targets. Mental impairments, yes. But still they are impairments and that by no means justifies setting anyone up for a bust.
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
Old 05-25-2017, 03:56 AM
Alferd Packer fan

I want to add that back in January of 2011 I was arrested for allegedly threatening a judge when all I told him was he's a variety of vulgar words. No matter, I was still arrested. And I was told by the chief of police "after what happened in Tucson, you should learn to watch your comments." Really? Hmmm. Except....
I was arrested on January 7th. This is a documented fact.
What happened in Tucson on 1/7/11? Google it and you should see what sparks my inquisitiveness about these tragedies.
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
Old 05-27-2017, 12:22 PM
Carolina traveler

Default He filed an appeal

Dylann Roof appeals conviction, death sentence in Emanuel AME Church massacre

"Dylann Roof on Tuesday appealed his conviction and death sentence in his hate-motivated slayings of nine black church worshippers in Charleston.

Roof's attorneys sent the formal notice to the Virginia-based 4th Circuit Court of Appeals. The filing, which contained no arguments, was the last expected move by the group of lawyers who tried to defend Roof at trial, only to be thwarted by his wishes to defend himself.

Federal public defenders from Maryland and California are set to take over the case during the appeal."

http://www.postandcourier.com/church...a0af826cd.html
Old 07-13-2017, 02:02 AM
Alferd Packer fan

I am now and will not say that Dylann is innocent. But....
http://www.activistpost.com/2017/07/...end-islam.html

Pardon me guys, but there's just too much I see wrong with his case.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:57 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,072 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornered View Post

Are you for real right now???
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OnlyInTexas For This Useful Post:
choclgs (07-13-2017), Classygyrl10 (07-14-2017), priceam (07-13-2017), rnsgaig (07-13-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (07-13-2017), yourself (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 05:35 AM
Owned

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with the Roof case except for the fact it happened at all. Roof is wrong from all angles and there is nobody to blame other than Roof.

Nobody set Roof up, nobody made him do it and I think his sentences were well deserved.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
choclgs (07-13-2017), maytayah (07-13-2017), priceam (07-13-2017), rnsgaig (07-13-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (07-13-2017), yourself (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 AM

The parallel universe where all offenders are victims helps no one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rnsgaig For This Useful Post:
choclgs (07-13-2017), safran (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 26,959 Times in 9,822 Posts

Quote:

There's very little wrong with Roof's case. Hamzeh, on the other hand, is pure entrapment,, and the two have zip in common, so I don't understand how you're making them equivalent. Or would want to. Dylan Roof made his own bed, with nobody else having had any sort of hand in it.
choclgs (07-13-2017), rnsgaig (07-13-2017), safran (07-13-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 05:38 PM
attorney

People need to start staying away from conspiracy theories about this, Sandy Hook, Columbine, and everything else where there are real people hurting because of the acts of conspiracy theorists trying to get gratification on the backs of other people's tragedies.

People with paranoid tendencies especially have been re-victimizing Sandy Hook parents, and now apparently they're making roof a cause celebre. Get a life people. Pour your mental resources into things that actually need attention, not cases like this.

Roof would have benefitted from serious psychiatric intervention long before he started to get into the white south african movement and other supremacy based theories to justify his existence. It is too bad so many people are dead as a result of his independent actions. He pulled the trigger. He's where he wants to be. It's just too bad he took so many innocent lives with him.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (07-14-2017), OnlyInTexas (07-13-2017), priceam (07-14-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 01:26 AM
Alferd Packer fan

Sandy Hook was real. Columbine was real. Roof deserves what he got and even more. But from the stuff I have seem so far, it does not look like he did it all by himself. THAT is the problem. And if I am right, that he did not do it by himself, who else was involved and for what purpose?
The Following User Says Thank You to cornered For This Useful Post:
choclgs (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 02:38 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,072 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Sandy Hook was real. Columbine was real. Roof deserves what he got and even more. But from the stuff I have seem so far, it does not look like he did it all by himself. THAT is the problem. And if I am right, that he did not do it by himself, who else was involved and for what purpose?
Ok!! Mr 'Alfred Packer fan'!! Perhaps you are paranoid and delusion and that's why you think 'the system' is out to get you.

I personally do not appreciate your speculation on the Roof case, and that's all it is....speculation and paranoia. What exactly are you 'prospecting' here? Pandamonium?

Last edited by OnlyInTexas; 07-14-2017 at 02:42 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OnlyInTexas For This Useful Post:
CenTexLyn (07-14-2017), choclgs (07-14-2017), rnsgaig (07-14-2017), safran (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM
Carolina traveler

Having lived through this experience of the murders of the Emmanuel 9, I find this disheartening. Roof took a moment where people are at their most comfortable, earned their trust, and took their lives!!!!

Why would you entertain the thought of this? The murders, the aftermath, the trial, and the reminders of what happened that June will forever exist in the mind of those in this in South Carolina. I will never understand how anyone can excuse or find reason for his heinous acts
OnlyInTexas (07-14-2017), rnsgaig (07-14-2017), safran (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Alferd Packer fan

The FBI gives the opportunity to commit crimes to those they feel will do it.
They gave it to Hamzeh and he chose what was right.
They gave it to Roof, and he chose what was wrong.
Does it matter what Roof did? Yes. But it also matters that the FBI is give those opportunities out.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Does it matter what Roof did? Yes. But it also matters that the FBI is give those opportunities out.
You cannot be serious?
CenTexLyn (07-15-2017), OnlyInTexas (07-15-2017), safran (07-15-2017), yourself (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 11:56 AM
attorney

Quote:
Wow, you are so off on everything.

If the guy was incompetent because of age, it is up to his parents to control him. If the guy is incompetent due to mental disease or defect, then when the State finds out, the State files for a guardianship and controls him (and that's only if it's a long term, untreatable incompetence). A person can have as many whacked out beliefs as he wants, post to Instagram in whatever costume he wants, and as long as he isn't an immediate threat to others or himself, he's allowed to do what he wants to do and think what he wants to think.

The FBI has nothing to do with it. The FBI only becomes involved when there's a violation of federal laws. Thoughts are not a violation of federal laws. Possession of firearms are not a violation of federal laws (by most people). Dressing up in costume is not a violation of federal law. Having delusional beliefs is not a violation of federal laws. Having horrible beliefs about race is not a violation of federal law. Sitting in a church is not a violation of federal law. Sitting in a church with a gun is not a violation of federal law.

Shooting people - that's a violation of federal law.
It's also a violation of state law, but you're not maintaining the State had any responsibility in this, just the feds.

You really need to look at your statements.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
CenTexLyn (07-15-2017), choclgs (07-15-2017), maytayah (07-26-2017), nimuay (07-15-2017), OnlyInTexas (07-15-2017), safran (07-15-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 PM

Some serious tinfoil stuff going on in this thread.

Roof was a horrible racist and got what he wanted. Lets put this to rest.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanner View Post
Some serious tinfoil stuff going on in this thread.

Roof was a horrible racist and got what he wanted. Lets put this to rest.
He wanted to start a race war and 12 people, their families, and a community, who didn't have a heart and mind like his, suffer immensely. He did not get what he wanted, if that were the case, he'd be a memory.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:05 PM
Owned

I agree with Cho; the people of Charleston showed such grace and dignity during a time of unspeakable pain it shut Roof's plan down. He failed.
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
maytayah (07-26-2017)