Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,088 Times in 567 Posts
Default Looking for resources for assistance for an Incarcerated American Indian's family

I am not sure I am dreaming of this or I have it mixed up with something else. So perhaps someone can set me straight or share with me where I may be able to check into this.

I had thought that the American Indian has resources that are available to them just because they are Indian.

There is one who is incarcerated and his Caucasian wife and children are having it extremely rough just living from day to day. She is in desperate help.

Talk about bad luck is not the word for this family. It just is one thing right after another. She has very little family left and his family I
understand do not care for her because of her heritage, even though the children are of their blood.

I have done what I can to help her and although she is not in my state, I have offered her suggestions of where she might be able to get assistance. I just have this in the back of my mind that there is something "extra" that she could be able to take advantage of because of her husband being an Indian.

The children are small and they certainly need heat and food to eat. Not looking for donations from anyone just a link to where I may get help for her and the children.

If you would feel more comfortable in PM'ing me that is alright as well. I am getting ready to go to work now and I have a 16hr shift to cover, but will answer as soon as I return home.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out with this information.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2006, 07:51 PM

Tell your friend to try the local Salvation Army in her town.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:21 AM

One of the big misconceptions of this country is that indians get something, ANYTHING extra because they are Indian(no free education, no not having to pay taxes, and no free money, annually or monthly, or ever!) And thanks to the Government's never ending desire to divide and conquer and the blood quantum thing, some of the First Nations People will never trust anyone who is not born and raised on the reservation> If the children are enrolled, and there is an Indian Center near by (some cover out lying areas of greater distance than others, she may be able to find help there.

Below is the link for IHS, Indian Health Services

http://www.ihs.gov/

to find an Indian Center in your area goodle American Indian Native American centers, organizations, tribal offices with the city closest to you, and the State in which they reside

you can also pass my info along if I can be of any further help

(til the next time)

Cyndi

Last edited by Wingy; 12-20-2006 at 07:23 AM..
Old 12-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanks marchtwenty, I did pass that along with the usual places that offer help to everyone, not just those of Indian heritage.

Wingy - Thanks for the information. I will give it to her. I was the one who had it in the back of my brain that I had read or heard someplace of them getting assistance. I personally, see nothing wrong in this. All I am trying to do is to help someone who desperately needs it. Thanks for setting the record straight and perhaps there are others who were misinformed as I was that will find this valuable information as well.

I do appreciate it.
May she rest in peace.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:14 AM

I am glad to be of some help to your friend. I hope everything goes well for her and her children.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Just an update. Grr... Came home from work this morning to find an email from her. Things are going from bad to worse. She did contact the Salvation Army as well as the area churches and everyplace in general that I could think of to tell her to call and get help.

It seems in her area they all require referrals and she has not been able to go to Social Services because her car died and of course she has no funds to get it fixed.

So tomorrow her phone will be shut off and Wednesday her electricity will be shut off. I have never heard of the general charity agencies requiring referrals.

This country really needs to wake up and smell the roses. Where I live, although a small town if you can even call it that, there is plenty of help available without referrals. The area churches help alot with food, clothing and help with utility bills even car insurance.

She was able to get Christmas gifts from the Angel Tree through Wal Mart for the kids. Her husband wrote and asked them to put the kids names on the tree for gifts. Thanks Wal Mart for all that you do.

I just wish I was there to find some help for her. Surely there has to be someone that can and is willing to help. She could easily get the referrals if she could get to Social Services but without transportation she is not able to get there and there is no public transportation where she lives.

So from this distance all I can do is to keep her and the kids in my prayers, send her strong, white light and try and come up with something, someone that is willing to help her where she lives.

Again, not looking for any donations, just help for her from what is available where she lives. I just have never lived in a place where there seems to be no help available. This indeed is very sad.

Again, thanks for all of your help and understanding. At least it helps me to be able to vent about it.
May she rest in peace.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:33 PM
~~ Love you... Always ~~

I would recommend starting with the tribal office of their fathers tribe and look into how to get the children enrolled. Then investigate if being an enrolled member of that tribe allows them any other opportunities. It really varies by tribe and where they live.

In my tribe, I could get some basic benefits, but only if I lived on the reservation still. Up until a year ago, my benefits were limited to hunting fishing and gathering. Now I have earned the right to vote - very important. No monetary benefits though... as some would assume we all receive. Just not true and I don't feel entitled to any of that anyhow... that b/c I'm native, I should get paid. I just don't feel like that.