Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:45 AM

Default grooming standards

I'm going back inside in jan. and i need to know if the cdc has gotten rid of the grooming standerds and if not do natives have to cut there hair. I would really appreciate any info i can get cuz neither me nor my wife want to see me with short hair. especially since I'm trying to become a member of the longhair clan of the cherokee nation.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2006, 07:10 AM

last Year Acalifornia man won a suit against the state regarding his long hair...

although the case did not involve Mr. Warsoldier while in Prisoin, clearly, his hair was worn at waist length while in carcerated.You may want to contact one of the local tribal offices regarding this question.

the link below pertains to this case

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...highlight=hair

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 12-17-2006, 06:52 AM

It is my understanding that you have to show proof of belonging to a tribe in order to keep your long hair. http://www.code-co.com/utah/leg/96/enrolled/sbe0128.htm
Old 12-19-2006, 07:52 AM

That's a utah law, and from 1996, hopefully its changed. I know in Indiana, and Mass there needs to be no proof of your blood, as its considered to be a choice of religion and long hair can be considered a religious choice.

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 12-28-2006, 08:48 PM

my husband is in wasco state prison in california and he is allowed along with other native americans to wear his hair long. im not sure if you have to show proof but i know they have special conditions for them. hope this helps.

loving my indian warrior till my last breath

free at last, free at last, thank GOD almighty i'm free at last! not him, ME!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:12 PM

I write to several NA's - one in CO in federal prison and a couple in AZ state prisons - they all have long hair and do sweat lodge, etc. You probably just need to check with the individual prison where you are going.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:13 PM

Sorry, I forgot I also write to one in MN who is allowed to have long hair as well.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:04 PM

Unbelieveable, I'm appalled. Whether our First Nations native brothers can have long hair while incarcerated, really? We endured so much so much from the system as it was. When the government crowded us together and said, "Okay, now this is what we will call the reservation." They
stripped us of our pride and dignity, sent our people to boarding schools, in attempts to civilize them and take the Indian out of the Indian, where they were forbidden to speak their language, forbidden to pratice their religious beliefs, forbidden to follow their customs and traditions and were forced to have short hair.
C'mon people we have come along way since the 1800's. I can't believe this is still a question, if it is I want to know where the problem exist because I, for one, am going to appeal to the conscience of those who forbid it.