Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Account Closed

Aya,
I would love to hear about good things happening on reservations. My organization is always looking for good examples of projects and programs that are successful and sharing those resources with those who are sorely lacking computers or the skills to do the research.

Too few people take advantage of the educational programs where I visited and then they leave the rez. I hope more will stay.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya
Well for starters not all rez's are bad. The Cour D'lane people in Idaho got a fairly good to mention one...and there are many more. I get somewhat frustrated as it is always the negative stuff that becomes the center of attention and it seems like no one is interested in the good things happening and I do understand that you have the best of intentions and it is a generous offer you have presented but I for one think that this is best handled the traditional way as through traditions and education the people get stronger.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that all rez's are bad. On the other hand, until your mention in this post, I have not heard of a reservation that wasn't suffering . I do understand your frustration at all of the negative stuff that is put out there by the media and others. I think that the culture is a beautiful culture and I rarely feel more at peace than I do when I attend the local Pow Wows here. There is something about the drumming that brings about tranquility and serenity in me.

I understand and respect your position about my offer of Reiki. Thank you for responding to my prior post.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Banned

Maybe my post is off but I want to add I was not raised with the traditions until I was put into rehab. on the lands here in New Mexico. Thru these people I am finding my place and my strenghts so reservations cant be all bad. sam
Old 07-06-2006, 01:29 PM
No more exploitation

Hey Si-star

yeah I will gather some info and send it to you in a PM as it sure is needed to have those good examples.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:07 PM
The Wife

Nice to hear about your time on Pine Ridge Karen. I'll tell my friend about your trip and he is interested. Will PM you shortly

Lorraine
Old 07-08-2006, 10:12 AM

Hey everyone. I live on the Upper Sioux Reservation in Granite Falls Minnesota. It's pretty small compared to most others.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:03 PM

I just stumble onto this forum and thought I would see what would happen if responded. I grew up in Siletz Oregon, which is an Indian town, but not considered a reservation. My daughter if 1/2 indian and enrolled Tulalip. We have lived on the Tulalip reservation and visit the Yakima reservation, the Warm Springs reservations, and many others due to basketball, softball,rodeos and family. I kinda browsed through the rest of the answers and didn't see any others from the NW area. Maybe someone out there is familiar with these places.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:45 PM

Hi Tinker!

I am from Klamath and used to live on the Tulalip Rez and also been all the places you named. Nice to meet you. If you wanna chat feel free to PM me
Old 07-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Account Closed

My Love David Was Raised On His Rez For Many Years In Temecula, Ca Pechanga Indain Rez
Old 07-19-2006, 12:05 AM

Talking I lived on Rez

My first husband is a Canadian Indian, Ojibeway/potawatami and we had 4 kids. I lived on the Rez for 11 years. I was the the second white woman to marry into that tribe.
My Mother-in-law taught me how to basket make, beading, quiilting and how to cook. I make great fried bread.
My father-in-law was a real medicine man, and I learned much from him.
I follow the Red Road..and am currently studying shamanism. I'm 58 years young.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:46 AM

Hi again, Colline, my husband is also pottawatomie. HIs family lived pm Michigan, before moving to Indiana...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 10-05-2006, 12:54 AM
Led by the Great Spirit.

Default Chintath knows but...

Chintath knows already that Eldon Michael grew up here, on the Gila Pima Reservation and that his favorite memories all reside, on the Ridge, in South Dakota, where his grandmother was from. She also knows the sadness that my perceptions of these communities bring to my heart.

Eldon and his people are from a beautiful culture that has been overburdened, by our world. It tears at my soul and I have great respect, for those, like Chintath, who work to restore the sense of dignity and worth that was stolen, from them.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:49 PM

Hello, everyone I am from the Tohono O'odham nation located in souther Az. I grew up on the rez and I miss it especially in the summer when we can go out to the desert in the early morning hours to pick the sauguaro fruit. My grandfather would make the cactus syrup, wine, and sauguaro "kool aid" type drink. I
In the spring I miss grandmother's o'odham cuisine of boiled wild spinich or boiled cholla buds Mmmmm! I love the desert, I used to go to a small hill nearby my home to be alone with nature and the Great Spirit. I would lay on huge flat rocks about the size of a queen size mattress. In this special area I would observe the energetic spirits of the ground squirrels who chased each other around as though they were playing hide and seek. I also miss the sounds of the birds singing in the trees that provided shelter from the sun. I miss the smell of the earth after it rains. I can almost capture this exact smell by sniffing inside a handmade pottery.
Currently I am away from home seeking an education to be wise of the way of the world. I consider myself a change agent, where ever I'm at I look for ways to create order for myself and others. Although tribes are exempt from complying with ADA "American with Disabilites Act" the majority of our people who use mobility aids to get around such as canes, wheelchairs, and walkers are the elderly population. We should do all we can to accomodate and honor our traditions and respect our elders and make places accessible. It has been always our way of life and I don't think we need a law to force us to remind of who we are. If we want to set an example for the younger generations we need to be show them how to follow our lifeways and customs.
At first, I was naive to think my reservation was alone until I traveled to WI then to OK only to hear the same issues discussed at native public forums. Currently, I am affiliated with the accessibility board here in town and have had the honor to meet with the mover and shakers of this town (pubic officials and the city commissioners) to suggest improvements made for and behalf of the disabled community. The city has listened and changes are happening in this town. Sometimes we just need to be proactive and involved in the political process to see results.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:06 PM

Aho!! Guvokikam!! and thank you for sharing with us. In my mind, if a person does not show respect for their elders, and those less fortunate, they may have native blood in their veins, but it doesn't make it to their heart, brains or spirit.

I am glad you found us and I hope you will post more.

Cyndi

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 01-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Account Closed

Welcome!!

I visited the cultural center on the Gila River Reservation when I went there to take photos for my Pima penpal. I say the exhibit that showed how they harvested the fruit. You bring back memories. I didn't know they made "kool aid." Promised my pal I would try to visit him next year and will check out that museum again.

Sounds like you are a person who will be a great leader. Wish you were closer so I could recruit you to our board here in our city. I work with an organization who serves American Indians on reservations. We have been working primarily with Rosebud and Pine Ridge but are looking for tribes closer to Colorado.

Glad to have you here and hope to get to know you better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvokikam
Hello, everyone I am from the Tohono O'odham nation located in souther Az. I grew up on the rez and I miss it especially in the summer when we can go out to the desert in the early morning hours to pick the sauguaro fruit. My grandfather would make the cactus syrup, wine, and sauguaro "kool aid" type drink. I
In the spring I miss grandmother's o'odham cuisine of boiled wild spinich or boiled cholla buds Mmmmm! I love the desert, I used to go to a small hill nearby my home to be alone with nature and the Great Spirit. I would lay on huge flat rocks about the size of a queen size mattress. In this special area I would observe the energetic spirits of the ground squirrels who chased each other around as though they were playing hide and seek. I also miss the sounds of the birds singing in the trees that provided shelter from the sun. I miss the smell of the earth after it rains. I can almost capture this exact smell by sniffing inside a handmade pottery.
Currently I am away from home seeking an education to be wise of the way of the world. I consider myself a change agent, where ever I'm at I look for ways to create order for myself and others. Although tribes are exempt from complying with ADA "American with Disabilites Act" the majority of our people who use mobility aids to get around such as canes, wheelchairs, and walkers are the elderly population. We should do all we can to accomodate and honor our traditions and respect our elders and make places accessible. It has been always our way of life and I don't think we need a law to force us to remind of who we are. If we want to set an example for the younger generations we need to be show them how to follow our lifeways and customs.
At first, I was naive to think my reservation was alone until I traveled to WI then to OK only to hear the same issues discussed at native public forums. Currently, I am affiliated with the accessibility board here in town and have had the honor to meet with the mover and shakers of this town (pubic officials and the city commissioners) to suggest improvements made for and behalf of the disabled community. The city has listened and changes are happening in this town. Sometimes we just need to be proactive and involved in the political process to see results.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:16 PM

Now, see there Wingy you said it, sadly to say, but I had this exact same conversation with a native brother today. Yet, I appealed to his conscience and made him think,and think, and think and had him look at the ADA from our native traditonal angle. After our conversation he walked away with a new perspective.
Back home in AZ, I haven't let my tribe off the hook, even tough I'm a thousand miles away. I am in touch with some of the legislatures and leadership. I email, call and write letters when I need to. I am pleased to say my nation has made changes to make reasonable accomdations for the physically challenged. There's still alot of work to be done. The wheels grind slowly, but they do grind. I'm just happy to do what I can to make a dfference. For a long time I was a fence sitter now, I am growing and believe the creator has blessed me with the gifts and talents to answer the call on my life.
Meanwhile, I reach out inspire, give hope, spiritual love and encouragement to the native brothers and sisters in prison. If I can make a difference one life at a time its all worth it.
When I'm not in school I assist inmates and their families on a volunteer basis. I am training them so-to-speak to be their own advocates by showing them how to navigate the tribal, state, and federal government.
This will be last semester attending a junior college I look forward to receiving my Associate's degree in Criminal Justice. Next, I will attend two more years working to achieve my Bachelor's degree.
I'm grateful for finding this site, you all offer words of wisdom and encourgement to those in most need of it. May you always be blessed.
By the way, Chintah the "kool aid" I was referring to is the sauguaro fruit and water mixed together-nothing else. I couldn't think of the exact English term...or find the word to explain it. I hope this gives you an accurate idea of what I was referring to.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:32 PM

Hello, i'm not sure where to post this. My fiance told me his dad is half Oneida. I found out his dad was born in Wisconsin. Now...my fiance is i suppose a 1/4 Oneida. How do we find out more? He's really interested in this. His dad left when he was about 4yrs old. So he doesn't know much about it. How can he register as an American Indian and begin his research of his ancestry?

Also, Dad tells me that he believes grandma is Yaqui Indian or part. But we don't know much as she won't talk about the subject.

Can anyone help with some information?

thanks