Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:15 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
Interesting to know. BD, asks his mother yesterday if I could send him money for stamps to write baby girl since "he has no money and used it all on hygiene" but his brother says he sends him $100 a month or more depending how work was for him that month ( he's in construction) . So he is either buying way to much commissary food & eating 0% of the prison food, or he owes people for some reason
No way in hell is he spending $100 a month on hygiene.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:18 AM

Yeah i looked at the commissary list , i think it was a little outdated but i was like HOW lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Old 08-01-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
It does blow me away that they don't require everyone to walk the track or exercise. My husband is in the 180's and he's 6'3! Too skinny. One of his "friends" was over like 400lbs when he got in and I think is about 290 and hoping to lose another 100, which is great. But seriously, so many guys say how bored they are, so this just seems like common sense.

I would definitely have no problem losing weight if I were ever in prison. There's no way I could eat half that shit.

My LO was always very nutrition-conscious on the outside — high protein, low carb diet, vitamins, etc. He is now also much more of a fitness junkie on the inside, and is more “ripped” than he’s ever been. I’m not worried about his commissary expenses, because I know he’s buying food he couldn’t get otherwise — canned tuna, pork, etc. He does of course eat at the chow hall fairly often, but a lot of what they serve, he would never choose to eat. A lot of what they serve is high carbs, high fat. So if he has a choice, thanks to commissary, he can skip chow and make his own meal.
Visitation is also a good opportunity for him to eat healthy. The vending machines are expensive, but they have things like protein shakes, beef jerky and chicken nuggets. He devours a lot of that stuff when we visit.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:43 PM

Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,209 Posts

We can bring or send food packages every month. He goes to chow very rarely. Everything is made with soy products. Sometimes it has a green tinge to it. He'll grab salad dressing packets, bread, or chicken (once a week they serve it and it is not bad).

Whatever I cannot bring he gets through commisary, such as rice, pasta, hygiene, spices etc. I bring fresh fruits and veggies which don't last long though. He would rather have a week of healthy food then crap all month.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 04:00 PM

Thanked 1,121 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
As for county jail one day a week they bought food from out side and it cost $10.00 for either a sub, or something from a pizza place, I don't know if they still do it but I didn't mind as at least he got one decent meal a week.
I think my husband would consider McDonald's a decent meal at this point. The first week he was there he walked into his room and his roommates were eating Subway and he said something like "I didn't know they have a subway at the prison". Lol. Of course, it was his second experience with contraband..they got the subway by someone throwing it over the fence. Unbelievable!

I wish they did let them have food from the outside. I would definitely pay for him to have that, and they could even give him a credit for the $.10 the meal probably costs them that he doesn't eat!!
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Agree!

My husband spends about $20/week and the biggest cost is when he has to buy tide pods because he does laundry every 3 days and I told him it's easier to use tide pods than powder (which would be cheaper and last longer).
Fridyrr.Likn (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZski View Post
My LO was always very nutrition-conscious on the outside — high protein, low carb diet, vitamins, etc. He is now also much more of a fitness junkie on the inside, and is more “ripped” than he’s ever been. I’m not worried about his commissary expenses, because I know he’s buying food he couldn’t get otherwise — canned tuna, pork, etc. He does of course eat at the chow hall fairly often, but a lot of what they serve, he would never choose to eat. A lot of what they serve is high carbs, high fat. So if he has a choice, thanks to commissary, he can skip chow and make his own meal.
Visitation is also a good opportunity for him to eat healthy. The vending machines are expensive, but they have things like protein shakes, beef jerky and chicken nuggets. He devours a lot of that stuff when we visit.
Funny, the vending machines at our place are all junk! I don't eat carbs and I've been dying when I visit and wind up eating the best of the worst. I had a talk with my dr about it over what's worse eating a rice krispie treat or a cookie.

Their meals though I've noticed from what he told me are not high in carbs which surprises me. I would think they would serve a lot of pasta because it's cheap but they don't. He eats because there are no other options, but we don't eat pork (although he will eat bacon) and one night a few weeks ago the dinner was pork and he was like, well I have nothing else to eat, so better just eat it. Ugh so gross. Seriously, it would be the best diet for me ever!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-01-2018), xolady (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 04:12 PM

Thanked 5,846 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Funny, the vending machines at our place are all junk! I don't eat carbs and I've been dying when I visit and wind up eating the best of the worst. I had a talk with my dr about it over what's worse eating a rice krispie treat or a cookie.

Their meals though I've noticed from what he told me are not high in carbs which surprises me. I would think they would serve a lot of pasta because it's cheap but they don't. He eats because there are no other options, but we don't eat pork (although he will eat bacon) and one night a few weeks ago the dinner was pork and he was like, well I have nothing else to eat, so better just eat it. Ugh so gross. Seriously, it would be the best diet for me ever!
Don't they have Kosher meals? In the County Jail my husband got those which were way better then the standard crap they served. But when he went to prison they had discontinued Kosher for a minute and he couldn't get them.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Don't they have Kosher meals? In the County Jail my husband got those which were way better then the standard crap they served. But when he went to prison they had discontinued Kosher for a minute and he couldn't get them.

I guess every state is different. In AZ they don’t serve pork, ever. Probably cheaper & easier that way, since some inmates can’t eat pork for religious reasons. The state says no problem, then no pork for anyone.
Most of their protein seems to either be soy based, or something made out of processed turkey.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
No kosher meals where he is, except during passover and at that time they got special passover food and it was great and they each got special boxes of it and a ton of it. I think he only finished some of it now. The chaplain at his facility from my understanding is not very tolerant of "other" religions. Their Friday night "hamotze" is done with matzoh if you can believe, but someone on here told me they can get a challah, so thanks to them and aleph that's in the works!

I wouldn't be caught dead eating pork, my husband doesn't keep kosher. But in a typical setting he just doesn't eat ham or pork except bacon, which I don't really get because it's the same thing! But sometimes the vending machines only have ham/cheese sandwiches instead of turkey/cheese. So gross. He doesn't even want that. And once when I accidentally bought that, I didn't even want to touch it. Lol. I think I gave it away because I don't even want him kissing me. Nothing against other people that eat it. Just not for me.

He laughs because he keeps telling me I would go nuts if I saw the bathrooms there. I have to keep reminding him that I did go to overnight camp and I did go camping and live in a tent for 9 weeks when I was 16, so it may be impossible to believe but if I had to like that, somehow I would suck it up and do it. We all do what we need to do to survive.
xolady (08-03-2018)