Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 PM
ashowers

Question This seems like a dream

My husband will get out soon he was on crack when he went to prison. My problem is for the last 3 years he has told me what I needed to hear you know the "I will never use again" but he asked me if I knew where he could get weed when he got out. I thought I would die I spent 3 years wanting to think everything would be better this time. I guess my thing is I dont know how this crack thing works does anyone think a crackhead can smoke pot and not crack? This is so crazy to me I guess part of me wants to see if he will use again and the other part of me wants run I want to give him another chance. But well you know its the same old story........ for 3 years I have done nothing but fear what is going to happen its like I have been dreaming for 3 years.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 AM

sorry to say, but if he picks up weed, it'll most likely lead to crack. an addict is an addict whether its pot, crank, sex or any other stuff. you cant keep him from doing drugs (been there). All you can do is make your morals and keep them, hope for the best, and if its not up to par, get out of there.
The Following User Says Thank You to JebsGirl83 For This Useful Post:
ashowers (02-17-2010)
Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,970 Times in 1,204 Posts

I would have a conversation with him about doing an outpatient or residential drug program upon his release. Being in prison for 3 years does not make his drug addiction go away. He needs to actually work at learning how to live a clean and sober life. If he is not open to this idea then more than likely he is not ready and will probably resort back to active addiction

The Following User Says Thank You to D4C For This Useful Post:
ashowers (02-17-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 PM

I have to agree with all the posts on here...
Addicts are addicts and being in prison for 3 yrs does not fix them..
Weed or alochol can and is a trigger to go on and do other drugs.
Just know that if he tells you its just weed or beer for now, unless he addresses his addicton.. hes more than likely to pick back up his drug of choice.. you cant change him .. his want has got to be there...
He didnt lie to you when he said he would never use again, at the time .. he meant it, they say that cause they do mean it... ajusting to the free world is hard.. I pray that he gets the help he needs but for you please take care of you... I am living proof of loving an addict to this day.. and yes he told me he would never use again too... you can read my story here in this same forum that you posted on.. if you need anything please feel free to PM .. I will get back to you... Good luck and GODS Blessings

Tina