Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,835 Posts

"..... they should have just ate any temporary losses and kept the problem under wraps, if only so as to not spook other agencies away from considering their technology."

So then they could be accused of hiding potential security risks and being sneaky? Not being upfront about the fact innovative inmates found a way to breach their security would have opened up just as many problems - if not more.

Plus, if they had hidden it, eaten the losses and were found out things would be even worse for them.

The days of being things quiet are gone.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:16 PM

And if I found extra money in my bank, although it may be a fault of thebank, I would not spend it just because Someone made a mistake. I wouldn't feel entitled to get mine.
Just because I COULD, doesn't mean that I SHOULD.
Plus it's just plain bad Karma.
Granted its a company with no actual heart, but it's about how WE think when the rubber hits the road. Are we about getting over? Are we a predator? Are we opportunist? Entitled just because we want to rationalize his rough life is?
The question is "What is the content of your character" to paraphrase a wise man.
In the end, walking the walk is the only thing that counts.Not what you say.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
safran (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 07:19 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,835 Posts

This messes it up for many.

Last edited by safran; 08-03-2018 at 07:32 PM..
Old 08-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,392 Times in 2,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
Look -- I'm a big believer in intellectual property rights.

I've spoken out before about how pirating music and software and other digital content is wrong, mainly because it stifles innovation when content creators and developers aren't compensated for their efforts. If you like certain digital content, you SHOULD pay for it, if for no other reason than it incentivizes said producers to create more great content in the future.

I just think in this particular case, it's not so black-and-white. More of a grayish area, when at least part of the fault clearly lies on JPay's part, the shoddy programming that allowed such a simple action as adding stuff to your shopping cart and taking it out again erroneously awarding credits.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I do that all the time. Add stuff to say my Amazon shopping cart, then change my mind and delete said items from my cart. Seems like a pretty easy thing to accidentally trigger, and I can't help but wonder how many of those 380 punished prisoners honestly didn't even realize what was going on when their accounts got erroneously credited due to normal shopping activity?

Now I'm sure at least a few prisoners took advantage of said "feature" once they realized what was going on -- and sure, morally speaking they shouldn't have done that. They should have promptly reported the bug to staff so they could fix the oversight. But JPay's response with the broadsword instead of the scalpel really seems uncalled for here.

I'm familiar with how those tablets work. JPay has full remote administrative control over those tablets. They could have easily just rolled out a software patch, remotely adjusted everyone's credit balances back to what they should have been, and remotely deleted any music or games that were fraudulently purchased. Problem solved.

There was no need to involve IDOC and get all those prisoners in disciplinary trouble, when just deleting any pilfered music or games would have cured the issue. In fact, quite a few of those prisoners probably would have turned around and bought some of those songs and games legitimately had they liked what they previewed.

Now JPay IS going to lose out on sales, and Idaho taxpayers are going to have to pay for many of those prisoners who get flopped at their next parole hearing due to that Class B Disciplinary Offense Report sabotaging their next parole hearing.

Such a needless outcome when JPay could have easily just handled the problem internally and dealt with it themselves.
Jpay has put itself at risk for losing contracts to competitors who are now offering states access to digital players at the same cost.

This definitely doesn't help their case.