Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:23 PM

Default Work Programs and Treatment Programs in Oregon DOC

So my brother in law just called and said that there are work programs and treatment programs in the oreogn DOC but you have to get placed in them before you leave coffee creek, He said I should let counclers at coffee creek know what his needs are. So I called Coffee Creek Intake and a lady told me I could write a letter stateing what I concerns are and send it to his councler. But He only meets that councler once so you only get one chance? For work programs and therepy programs? Is there anything I can do to help his chances of getting into one?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2013, 01:41 PM

The lady on the phone at coffee creek said he could send a "kite" (what is that?) to the office and they would give him a release of information form to sign so that I could speak with his councilor. or get infomation from his councilor. Should he bring his cell mate with him to do that? I am afraid to send him doing something that is going to make him look like a snitch. Should he be worried about that at coffee creek?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,610 Times in 2,661 Posts

A kite (or kyte) in the Oregon system is something like a memo or a request form.

He wouldn't look like a snitch for wanting to speak to his counselor (at least I don't think he would). My dad has been seeing his counselor, medical, and legal off and on for some time due to legal issues unrelated to his sentence. It just looks like the inmate needs to go talk to the counselor.

So he sends a kite to the office requesting a release of information form, he fills it out when they give it to him, then you will have the ability to talk directly with his counselor about his needs.

Now if he was talking to a guard and pointing at other inmates - THAT would make him look like a snitch.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,956 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleLovesNoth View Post
So my brother in law just called and said that there are work programs and treatment programs in the oreogn DOC but you have to get placed in them before you leave coffee creek, He said I should let counclers at coffee creek know what his needs are. So I called Coffee Creek Intake and a lady told me I could write a letter stateing what I concerns are and send it to his councler. But He only meets that councler once so you only get one chance? For work programs and therepy programs? Is there anything I can do to help his chances of getting into one?
First, your brother is either mis-informed or under-informed.

Work and treatment programs are two separate issues.

Treatment programs, like the Alternative Incarceration Program(s) eligibility are determined as a part of sentencing. The judge/DA will make the determination that he is eligible for AIP or not. Some people are and some people aren't, depending on the crime and their history. At Coffee Creek an inmate can indicate a willingness to participate in those programs if they are eligible - but acceptance into those programs isn't a given, and will depend, at least in part, on his behavior in the time between when he arrives at his home institution and when he is actually eligible for the program. Most of those programs (if one is even eligible) require a clean or relatively clean conduct record.

Work programs are like any other job - you apply, get interviewed by whoever the supervisor is, and hired or not hired. You can't apply for a work program at Snake River, for example, if you are at Coffee Creek. Or, any other work program.

And, all of the decent jobs, require a minimum of 3-6 months of "institutional adjustment" period before you would even be considered for hiring. Some of the best positions, like the Call Center at Snake River, or any of the OCE (Industries) type jobs want to be sure you're able to handle yourself in prison before they hire you - since there is some training time and investment involved. Exactly like on the streets.

My recommendation is to let your brother-in-law handle his own programming. If a potential employer, even for a prison job, gets a sense that he isn't organized enough to get on the right lists and find out what the real scoop is on this stuff, he isn't organized enough to employ. Sometimes trying to be "helpful" isn't helpful at all, and may work against him.

As previously stated, he can write a Kyte to his counselor, express what his interests are, what his goals are, etc., and let them take it from there. If he has a specific skill, it's easy enough to find out what opportunities are available, ONCE HE REACHES HIS HOME INSTITUTION, to see what positions are available which match his skill-set. People like plumbers, electricians, etc., are always in high demand (although there are still security considerations)

What DOES happen at Coffee Creek is that his skill level, work experience and education will be assessed, and a determination will be made whether or not he needs to continue school (if he doesn't have a solid foundation in basic education). Oregon's DOC does not offer vocational training, outside of the OCE positions.

Coffee Creek Intake, for men, is simply an evaluation point. Nothing really happens until he gets moved on to a home institution. Hope this is helpful, but if you have more specific questions, please let me know.
Athena26 (03-17-2013), ElleLovesNoth (03-16-2013), GingerM (03-16-2013), TLAn4ever (03-17-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 PM

Wow. That was really helpful. Thank you. Everytime you guys reply I learn so much. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to ElleLovesNoth For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-17-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 10:01 PM

Thanked 1,861 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleLovesNoth View Post
They get sent to Coffee Creek for that reason, to be assessed. They will assess him and his needs and then place him where the feel he will get the help he needs.

I do not believe you will get anywhere writing or trying to get into contact with a counselor....the more you stay out of his business, the better his time ends up being for him, IMO and experience.

It is easy to try and get involved so our LO's have an easier time, but in reality, they will go where DOC wants them to go.

Peace~
Athena26 (03-17-2013), GingerM (03-17-2013), Scott (03-16-2013), TLAn4ever (03-17-2013)