Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Middle of the night Transfer

I recieved a phone call at 10:30pm last night from my husband. He was told to pack up he was beeing transfered. This is our first transfer beyond quaritine. We were aware it could happen at anytime for any reason but we were a little prepared for it. We new he was going down in security but we thought he would recieve paper work on it befor being transfered. Anyway I don't know were my husband is right now. Does anyone know how long it takes for OTIS to be updated and also how long does it take for a phone list to get prosessed from a transfer? If anyone knows any other way I can locate him please let me know. Its hard enough with him being in prison but the not knowing is always harder. Plus I was gettin to be an old pro at the prison wife thing, now we have something new. (lol)
Old 01-10-2007, 02:20 PM

Melinda, they don't give paperwork, only a call to their cell to get packed up and ready to go whenever the transpo team pulls up to the door. It could take a long time to get him wherever he is going. Sometimes about 15 hours. They usually don't let them kno w where they are headed for security reasons. They might have a whole bus load of inmates and make many stops before he arrives at his destination point. If you don't hear anything by 6:00 p.m and still can't find him on OTIS than you could call the prison that he left and ask to speak to the Control Center Sgt and they could tell you where he went because he should be there by then.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Also, all facilities are different but it took the facility that my man is at now about 5 days to be able to place a call. If you are already on his visiting list you could drive there and visit faster than it will take you to get a call. Also, just because it is taking awahile for him to arrive at his destination doesn't mean that he went far away. He could just be the last stop on the way back to point A. Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 PM

Well I found him that was easy enough. Hes at copper st in Jackson. I checked the directions and I am very fortunate once again that he is just over an hour and its just one major highway to get there. I guess living in this little town almost all the major highways are pretty close in all directions. i know that form Cooper st though he is likely to transfer some where alse form here. I guess we will wait and see.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:02 PM

Could be a while before he moves again, miine was in Jackson about a year and a half.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:07 PM

Or he could transfer real quickly because Cooper St is known as the Re-entry facility as well as a short layover to the nearest bed somewhere else. I'm glad you found him and he is close for right now!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

He should be able to call you within a day or two.. especially since he transferred in the middle of the week - I think my hubby called me the day after he got there. Hopefully by Friday he will be able to contact you.. if not then it should be Monday.

OTIS should be updated in the morning. Most of the time now it only takes until the next day. Occasionally when its a transfer to the UP it takes a couple of days.

Now.. if he's at Cooper Street he may not be there long. Cooper Street is kind of a pit stop until they can be sent to another place, unless he's there for a class or program.
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

OTIS isn't updated on the weekends so you are fortunate that he transferred during the week. My guy has transferred on a weekend and I couldn't find out where he went until Monday morning. As Mrs. D said, it usually only takes a day or so to get his pin number activated so he can make calls, minus weekends and holidays of course. Anytime you head towards Cooper St. give me a call and maybe we can meet somewhere for a drink or something. That is my area.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:54 PM
2009 is our Year!!!
Donation Award 

glad you were able to find him..
Also if you need any directions for places around that area. I was born in Jackson, and moved a few months back. But I still work there.. Good luck!

This experience has taught me a great deal about myself, my husband, and our marriage.