Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Raising Children with Parents in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Raising Children with Parents in Prison For the Parent left behind with children AND for the Children that have a parent inside. Discussion of unique challenges facing this group!

Old 04-02-2018, 04:49 PM

Default Help young child deal with knowledge his father plead guilty to murder of c

Anyone have advice. My 9 yr old step son just found out his father pled guilty to the murder of a 12 yr old. (It happened before he was conceived. He is taking it hard and has basically said he wants nothing to do with his dad. Their relationship was already strained. Anyone have ideas for helping this heart broken boy?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2018, 06:06 PM

Thanked 2,566 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naalongo View Post
Anyone have advice. My 9 yr old step son just found out his father pled guilty to the murder of a 12 yr old. (It happened before he was conceived. He is taking it hard and has basically said he wants nothing to do with his dad. Their relationship was already strained. Anyone have ideas for helping this heart broken boy?
I would let it be for now. Is he in therapy? If not, he should be to process this. His father should still write and reach out, but should not push. This crime is close to him.bc of the age factor. Adults have trouble processing this much and I cannot imagine a child.

Does he live with you or his mother? If it is not you, there is not much you can do.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I would let it be for now. Is he in therapy? If not, he should be to process this. His father should still write and reach out, but should not push. This crime is close to him.bc of the age factor. Adults have trouble processing this much and I cannot imagine a child.

Does he live with you or his mother? If it is not you, there is not much you can do.
With his mom. He told me he looked it up so I have his mom a heads up because she did not feel he was ready...I told her I would ask some other women in similar situations for advice.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:15 PM

Thanked 2,566 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naalongo View Post
With his mom. He told me he looked it up so I have his mom a heads up because she did not feel he was ready...I told her I would ask some other women in similar situations for advice.
My nephew thought my brother worked in a prison for years before he was finally told. I'm not sure how that really went over, but at the time they thought it was the best idea.

He should speak to a therapist. When he is ready to ask question, be ready for answers. Glad you and his mom are on the same side.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-04-2018)